Getting into Disney Shape

Look, you can't really train for this. Disney walking is completely different from anything else for the following reasons:
1) You are wearing different types of clothes. You're probably practicing in workout clothes, but are you wearing those to the parks?
2) Your pace will be much different in the parks. Adrenaline is a crazy thing. You'll be way more intense than you think.
3) It's a stop, go, sit, stand 10 miles. It's hard to replicate, and you do it over multiple hours.

Get in some basic walking everyday (About an hour I'd say), and prepare for the fact that no matter what you do you will be tired and sore. I am in the military and in pretty good shape. Doesn't matter, I'm wrecked the first few days at Disney until I adapt. Best tip: Plan a rest day after your SECOND park day.

I wore my brooks shoes with moisture wicking socks in January, everyday with no issues. My kids wore sketchers and my husband wore his keen boots. I started walking about 2 miles everyday for a few months to help, my kids were fine (lots of energy) the best strategy is to make a park plan (touring plan) that will group rides close together to keep from Criss crossing the parks

That will be a very long day. I did a few hours at MK in the morning, rested at the hotel, then went back to mk for mnsshp, arrived about 6:15. I have a bad back and I left mnsshp during the second parade. It was too much for me. The character lines were long, even during first parade and not most popular characters. please think about building in rest time that day. No amount of pre-trip practice will prepare you for the day you have planned. If your home climate is cooler and less humid than FL and you are going to an early party, the heat will make things even worse.

I have never trained for Disney vacations but it isn’t a bad idea to get in the habit of walking more (1) for you health and (2) to improve stamina. Last December I logged 8 miles in Epcot. I think that’s typical for a Disney trip. Wear a step counter and get a sense of how much you walk and try and hit 10,000 steps every day between now and your trip. It’s about half of why you will walk on a typical day in the parks. Remember to wear the shoes you plan to use in the parks and test out different clothing. If you can try and walk on some hot days. Personally, on an average day, I hit between 5,000 and 12,000 steps. 12,000 is rare and generally on days when I run. If I am not running a typical day is closer to 5,000 but can be 8-9,000 on more active days.

If you have any park/nature trails close to home that may be a better way to keep the kids engaged/not complaining vs. just a walk around the neighborhood. My boys will happily do a 45 min 'woods walk' but start asking to go home 15 mins into a walk around the neighborhood.

Disney wears you out for two reasons--the walking (note: the steps are inaccurate, all that shuffling in lines doesn't really add much distance, but it's time on your feet, still you're looking at miles of walking) and the concrete.

Concrete is unforgiving and much harder than asphalt. It seems crazy, but there is notable difference after a bazillion miles. You'll feel that on the bottoms of your feet and in your knees.

Your best prep is improving general physical fitness, time on a treadmill, bike, track, neighborhood path, will all help you. And honestly, I'd probably not ask small kids do to an early morning to midnight day--you might find yourself having less fun and feeling more frustrated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter