Getting into Disney Shape

nickmiller70

Earning My Ears
So my wife and I want to start walking with the kids to prepare for our trip. We are planning to have two BIG days when we are there, one of which will include a full day at MK then MNSSHP. Basically an early morning until midnight. My kids are not super athletic and I am a pooh-sized individual. So here's the question, how many miles do you think you walk in a full day at the parks? I want to start a walking regiment with the kids so that we feel we can do it all and not kill ourselves, but don't know what our goal should be. I know its a lot of walking, like, lots, but has anyone used a FitBit or similar to know how many miles you typically walk. Kids are 12/9/7 so there will be lots of moving and very little down time.

We are slow-walking seniors and typically do 4-6 miles each day. The longest walk is inevitably from the bus stop to park entry, and reverse on exit. In between we can walk and then stop and sit for a few minutes when we need to do so. At home we never walk this much, let alone for days in a row, but at WDW we rise to the occasion!

We go 7-8 miles a day, but we always take mid-day breaks. I would work up to walking 3-4 miles. There is no way to prepare for the hours of walking/standing.

We were between 10-12 miles everyday the last 2 Summers that we went. I am prepared for that same amount when we go next month.

Expect a good 10 miles plus per day from opening to close. We take a lunch break in air conditioning, and be prepared to spend a lot of time just standing, waiting in line for buses, etc. Also know that as a means of keeping cro wds moving Disney has removed a lot of their benches in the parks. We've sat on curbs and definitely allowed the kids to just sit on the ground while waiting for buses and in lines.

10 miles a day, sometimes more. Break in your shoes before you go, don’t wear shoes you’ve never worn before.

I'd be concerned about choice of shoes & socks for each member of the family. I recommend you investigate which brands of shoes & socks are used by marathon runners (because frankly you'll be completing a couple marathons during your visit). These are the brands you'll want to pursue. They are not cheap & will never be found at Walmart, Target, or Kohl's. But, these will save your feet. Find a running store near you that serves these runners that can evaluate your foot structure, walking style, etc. and fit you individually in shoes. Buy the runners socks. Yes, they are $16-$20 each, but I haven't had a blister at a theme park in years. Also, buy Body Glide (or another brand as they do now have competition). Use it in the morning, then when you stop for breaks, re-Glide the feet & anywhere else that might chaff.

Once you've got these provisions in place, then start walk training with them, break those shoes in & get used to putting on Glide.

I just checked my steps from Sunday, when we did Epcot with a mid-day break. We walked 10.15 miles. Yesterday was DHS for 1/2 day with only 4 miles. Today we’re doing Magic Kingdom from 10-3:30 (to squeeze the parade in), taking a break, and then returning for 7-1 am. I can check back with our steps then.

So here's the question, how many miles do you think you walk in a full day at the parks?
We walked between 10-15 miles each day. It doesn't feel like it is that much because it is usually between attractions or meals. This was pretty much being on the go from morning until night, so if you are planning mid day breaks it will shorten that mileage.

You kids will dread walking around home. We started training our 4yo for longer walks around our neighborhood and she hated it. But at WDW she walked everywhere, no stroller - she was a trooper. I think the environment and excitement definitely helps to increase kids and probably your energy level to walk and walk.

The best thing it to make sure everyone has good footwear which has been broken in and are comfortable - nothing is worse than developing blisters early in your trip.

We walked 10-15 miles per day (25,000-30,000 steps). Our 15 mile day was a half day at DHS and then the Halloween party at MK. I agree with PPs that good shoes are the key to enduring those miles.

We normally average 12-14 miles a day. My DS10 used a stroller part of the time each trip until he tapered off at age 7 ( averaging 3 trips a year.) I don't know if Disney is something you can really work your way up to.....I mean not a ton of people walk 12 miles every day lol! That's amazing you and your family are trying to get ready for the trip walking together though :) My DS10 no longer complains about walking, we do not do tennis shoes in the parks from April-October....it is just too hot. I have gotten him Krocs brand strapped sandals.....they are really comfortable. Take lots of breaks.....meaning, sitting...not standing. You all will be fine and have a wonderful time:) I hope you have a magical trip with your family!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter