Getting around the no outside photography rule?

TinkerBelle_325

DIS Veteran
I know that Disney Fairytale Weddings have implemented a very strict no outside photography rule, but I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone really pushed? Example: I will cancel my $15,000 wedding if I am unable to bring in _____ photographers?

2. Can you invite your outside photographers as formal guests to the wedding and therefore use them? I mean DFTW can't prevent "guests" with incredible equipment from taking your photos. In my book, adding the extra $70-100pp would be well worth it in order to get around the issue.

Don't do it. If it is stated in their contract that you must use disney, and you use someone else, you may have a breach of contract problem on your hands.

Also, if you invite them as guests, they may become suspicious if you don't have Disney photography doing your wedding but there are these guests will really good equipment.

Disney weddings know most of the popular photographers that are in the Orlando area and used by Disney brides.

If you want an outside photographer, it is wise to use a resort location where you actually can use an outside photographer. You will have Disney staff with you the whole day and I don't think you would be able to hide it.

Don't do it. If it is stated in their contract that you must use disney, and you use someone else, you may have a breach of contract problem on your hands.

Also, if you invite them as guests, they may become suspicious if you don't have Disney photography doing your wedding but there are these guests will really good equipment.

Disney weddings know most of the popular photographers that are in the Orlando area and used by Disney brides.

If you want an outside photographer, it is wise to use a resort location where you actually can use an outside photographer. You will have Disney staff with you the whole day and I don't think you would be able to hide it.

The question is hypothetical.

However, the "not using Disney photography" isn't a reason for Disney to be suspcious. There are a lot of brides that have a guest with a DSLR take their pictures for them. You aren't *required* to book Disney photography.

I guess its just me, but I feel there must be a way to get around it :confused3

Disney knows most of the professional photographers that many couples use also - so you can say it's a "friends" but they might know better. Also, you might not get a professional photographer that is willing to go against Disney rules.

Linda

I know that Disney Fairytale Weddings have implemented a very strict no outside photography rule, but I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone really pushed? Example: I will cancel my $15,000 wedding if I am unable to bring in _____ photographers?

2. Can you invite your outside photographers as formal guests to the wedding and therefore use them? I mean DFTW can't prevent "guests" with incredible equipment from taking your photos. In my book, adding the extra $70-100pp would be well worth it in order to get around the issue.

I was wondering about the same thing. A good friend of ours is actually doing our photos and he is counted as a guest. Disney can't kick my guest out!

Disney knows most of the professional photographers that many couples use also - so you can say it's a "friends" but they might know better. Also, you might not get a professional photographer that is willing to go against Disney rules.

Linda

I guess my point is, How does Disney know that the Roots, Randy Chapman, Misty etc...arent friends of mine?

I was wondering about the same thing. A good friend of ours is actually doing our photos and he is counted as a guest. Disney can't kick my guest out!

Exactly!

As I said, the question is hypothetical, but in my mind it holds merit - how can they kick out a guest that the bride and groom have paid for?

Personally, I think the "no outside photographers in park" in absolutely nuts. Any professional photographer can set foot inside a Disney park and take pictures. Any guest with a DSLR can do the same. There are no rules stipulating that you can't bring tripods, lenses, flashes and SLRs into the parks.

I know there was a DIS-bride that went around the MK with her photographer, after the rule had been put in place, and esentially had an MK photo session (not in her wedding dress lol, so more like an engagement session).

Also, they allowed outside photographers for YEARS! To me it feels like a ploy to get more money because they *think* they are forcing you to use DPS.

I guess if Disney sees a "guest" down the isle taking pictures of you while you're reading you vows and stuff with professional equipment...well I don't really know what they could do to you at that point. But I have a hard time believing you'll get any reputable photographer in the area to sneak into your wedding inside Disney without their approval - any outside photographer has to sign a contract with Disney and I highly doubt they will photograph your wedding without signing the contract. If you try and threaten a multibillion dollar company by just saying that you'll move your $$$ wedding somewhere else, I doubt they would care. They'll probably replace you with someone else willing to spend the money who will use their photographer!

I also think the no outside photo rule is dumb and am really thankful Escape weddings are allowed outside photogs. They probably are trying to make us use their photographers, especially since they used to allow outside photographers. My guess is no one wanted Disney at that point! Good luck, let us know if you can sneak one in!

Personally I would not want the worry on my wedding day. Not sure what they would "do" but I would not want to risk it.

Linda

I suppose you could tell them you will cancel if you don't get the photographer you want, but since the rule is stated in your contract before you book, you would forfit your deposit. And there would also be a good chance that there would be another bride waiting in the wings to swoop up your spot. And since DFTW already has your deposit, i don't think they would care too much if you cancel because you can't bring in an outside photographer.

As for if DFTW would know whether Randy, Misty or the Roots were simply guests at your wedding. They probably wouldn't, but it stands to reason that your Wedding Planner would know where you were from, and if it is not from the general Orlando area, chances are slim that you would be friends with them. and if you WERE friends with such great photographers, why would you book a wedding that they are not allowed to photograph the venue.

As the rule has been in place for quite a while now, I doubt that any of the 3 would risk their reputation (and the ability to photograph any future Disney weddings) by attempting to sneak in a photograph your wedding.

lastly, of course it's a ploy by Disney to force you to use their photographers!! Disney is in the business of making money! And as the fact that disney still has to hold lottery's to give out spots on highly requested days, it doesn't seem like the "no outside photographer" ban has hurt their wedding business very much.

We had Misty so yes I do agree about not liking the new Disney "rule". Misty's husband was able to go into Epcot with my DH 45 minutes before our wedding to do shots with him and his guys. Misty and me and my girls also went into Disney at least 30 minutes before our wedding to get shots of me and my girls.

We also stayed at least 45 minutes after our ceremony for more shots of just us alone and us and our bridal party. I am sure if you try to sneak a professional photographer in they would not be allowed this time. Besides our ceremony shots these were the main shots that we wanted in Epcot.

Pre wedding shots.
2ef6fd66.jpg

3f3fe526.jpg

After wedding shots.
MistyFormal122.jpg

78b68228.jpg

You could not get these if your photographer came over to your ceremony and left your ceremony with all your other guests.

Linda

I guess if Disney sees a "guest" down the isle taking pictures of you while you're reading you vows and stuff with professional equipment...well I don't really know what they could do to you at that point. But I have a hard time believing you'll get any reputable photographer in the area to sneak into your wedding inside Disney without their approval - any outside photographer has to sign a contract with Disney and I highly doubt they will photograph your wedding without signing the contract. If you try and threaten a multibillion dollar company by just saying that you'll move your $$$ wedding somewhere else, I doubt they would care. They'll probably replace you with someone else willing to spend the money who will use their photographer!

I also think the no outside photo rule is dumb and am really thankful Escape weddings are allowed outside photogs. They probably are trying to make us use their photographers, especially since they used to allow outside photographers. My guess is no one wanted Disney at that point! Good luck, let us know if you can sneak one in!

Again, not saying I'm going to sneak in a photographer. I'm not currently planning a DFTW. Though I know that I want to get married at the France Pavilion in the future, and I don't want to use DPS.

I also wasn't implying that any reputible photographer would sneak in as a guest at a DFTW. A friend of mine is hoping to use The Roots at her DFTW (WP and CG) and they are wonderful people but I know they wouldn't want to risk future business at Disney!

Often you'd be surprised at what a company will do to keep a client. While they are a multi-million dollar corporation, that doesn't mean that they would easily let $15,000, $20,000, $30,000 fly out the window.

Personally I would not want the worry on my wedding day. Not sure what they would "do" but I would not want to risk it.

Linda

I agree, again, all hypothetical. I'm not actually planning to DO any of these things.

I suppose you could tell them you will cancel if you don't get the photographer you want, but since the rule is stated in your contract before you book, you would forfit your deposit. And there would also be a good chance that there would be another bride waiting in the wings to swoop up your spot. And since DFTW already has your deposit, i don't think they would care too much if you cancel because you can't bring in an outside photographer.

As for if DFTW would know whether Randy, Misty or the Roots were simply guests at your wedding. They probably wouldn't, but it stands to reason that your Wedding Planner would know where you were from, and if it is not from the general Orlando area, chances are slim that you would be friends with them. and if you WERE friends with such great photographers, why would you book a wedding that they are not allowed to photograph the venue.

As the rule has been in place for quite a while now, I doubt that any of the 3 would risk their reputation (and the ability to photograph any future Disney weddings) by attempting to sneak in a photograph your wedding.

lastly, of course it's a ploy by Disney to force you to use their photographers!! Disney is in the business of making money! And as the fact that disney still has to hold lottery's to give out spots on highly requested days, it doesn't seem like the "no outside photographer" ban has hurt their wedding business very much.

As I said above, I wouldn't WANT any photographers to risk their future business by sneaking in. I was merely saying that most rules have a loophole and I was wondering if anyone had found the one for the "no outside photographers" yet.

Agreed, there are lotteries to give out spots on highly requested days and the vast majority of DFTW brides are perfectly happy with DPS.

I'm of the mind that every contract has room for negotiation.

We had Misty so yes I do agree about not liking the new Disney "rule". Misty's husband was able to go into Epcot with my DH 45 minutes before our wedding to do shots with him and his guys. Misty and me and my girls also went into Disney at least 30 minutes before our wedding to get shots of me and my girls.

We also stayed at least 45 minutes after our ceremony for more shots of just us alone and us and our bridal party. I am sure if you try to sneak a professional photographer in they would not be allowed this time. Besides our ceremony shots these were the main shots that we wanted in Epcot.

Pre wedding shots.
2ef6fd66.jpg

3f3fe526.jpg

After wedding shots.
MistyFormal122.jpg

78b68228.jpg

You could not get these if your photographer came over to your ceremony and left your ceremony with all your other guests.

Linda

Oh I know, and the pre and post ceremony shots are almost more important to me than the shots taken during the ceremony! Once again, I'm not currently planning a DFTW, I'm just inquiring for the future and not *intending* to try any of these things. I just wanted to see if anyone has pushed or tried to negotiate or has everyone just accepted it as it is?

I don't think Disney cares if you walk away from a $15,000 wedding because of the rule.

I think the population on this board is incredibly small when it comes to ALL Disney brides. I think the majority of Disbrides use DPS, go with a lot of standard package stuff, and aren't even aware of 90% of the things we obsess and talk about over here.

As for your question; yea I am sure you can get around it by calling the photographer a guest. But for the reasons that have already been listed by others; getting around the rule is a hypothetical possibility but an impossible reality.

I have to agree that I don't think Disney would care one bit if you threatened to walk. Everyone thinks that money talks with Disney but that isn't always the case. We had a large budget for our wedding and I was told no on many things I wanted to plan (and used outside vendors because of it).

I believe I am the bride you mention about the MK photos. I knew the rule and decided to break it. Had they said something to us we would have left no problem and said we weren't aware of the rule. My photographers were from another state so it didn't matter to them for future business - not much risk for them. I would never have risked it on my wedding day, it would just have worried me too much. I don't know what they would or could do but it's your wedding and the photos are the only thing you have left from the day (besides your hubby of course). I don't know what kind of equipment your friend has but or photographers did not just have a nice dslr camera, they had huge lenses and a whole bag of lenses and flashes with them. It would be very, very noticeable. A guest would not be running around during the ceremony, laying on the ground, etc. to get the shots that professional photographers do.

I know you didn't say anything about sneaking in Orlando photographers but I agree with the others that they would not risk all the business they get from Disney brides by breaking the rules.

Perhaps you could use DPS for the ceremony in France but then your friend for getting ready, reception, etc. Best of both worlds and you don't have to be worried about sneaking. I am sure your friend could get some nice shots during the ceremony as well and it wouldn't be as suspicious that way.

I agree- don't think they care about $15,000...they wouldn't even let one of the Disbrides have her wedding in front of the castle for a half a million dollars, so I'm pretty sure if they are willing to give that up, they won't care about the 15 grand....

I also agree that it is a ploy... of course they want another reason to get money...they gotta stay in business. I wouldn't risk it, if its important to you to have a disney wedding, get DPS and then see if you can get the other people to do some great shots around the resorts or something.

There actually is a bride from here that cancelled due to the photography rule and not coming to an agreement with Disney over it. I don't think she posted about it here, but she did on one of the private boards. Photography was very important to her and she decided to cancel and look at non Disney locations. In the end I think she re-booked as an escape using outside photogs but a much different event than originally planned.

I look at it not that everything has a loophole, but that you can't always get what you want and you have to compromise. For us we decided to use an outside photog for the ceremony where that is allowed and just have my dad and other guests take photos at the reception at LSS and then hired Disney for the dessert party. It is even in our BEO that my dad will be taking pics, so they do ask if you aren't using Disney photography.

If they did budge on this rule then they would just have to revoke it as there would be too many brides who followed the rule complaining if/when it got out that someone was able to circumvent the rule.

Disney doesn't care if you cancel your $15,000 wedding. There is a long list of people who would be happy to take your spot. As another poster said, they have your deposit. It is in the contract you signed. You lose that deposit, and they fill the spot with someone else's wedding. It is win-win for them.

My concern is this...We have Misty booked. Totally fine with the non-disney photo in the park rule. I see their point but what ever. Here is my major issue. We are planning (or I'm planning and DH is unaware...:rotfl: No worries-we haven't booked yet) a DP. Now, I'm an escape...so...I get DPS for 2 hours. However, Disney determines what those 2 hours are. (Ceremony and cake) Misty's contract says no go on the second photographer. I'm cool with all of this EXCEPT FOR THE FACT that Disney will charge me an extra $325-$350 for DPS at the DP WHICH IS LESS TIME THAN CEREMONY AND CAKE...I want fireworks pics-but have my own DSL camera and if we decide to do a DP I'll ask my BIL to take the pics. It will be obvious that he doesn't know what he is doing...b/c well...I'll have to do the set up and he will just have to photograph...but I'm not sure how that whole thing makes sense....and it is one of the questions I have for my wedding planner. I plan on challenging her a bit...but is it something to cancel the wedding over...no...I have a back-up plan...I just hope for a shot or two that I want...

My concern is this...We have Misty booked. Totally fine with the non-disney photo in the park rule. I see their point but what ever. Here is my major issue. We are planning (or I'm planning and DH is unaware...:rotfl: No worries-we haven't booked yet) a DP. Now, I'm an escape...so...I get DPS for 2 hours. However, Disney determines what those 2 hours are. (Ceremony and cake) Misty's contract says no go on the second photographer. I'm cool with all of this EXCEPT FOR THE FACT that Disney will charge me an extra $325-$350 for DPS at the DP WHICH IS LESS TIME THAN CEREMONY AND CAKE...I want fireworks pics-but have my own DSL camera and if we decide to do a DP I'll ask my BIL to take the pics. It will be obvious that he doesn't know what he is doing...b/c well...I'll have to do the set up and he will just have to photograph...but I'm not sure how that whole thing makes sense....and it is one of the questions I have for my wedding planner. I plan on challenging her a bit...but is it something to cancel the wedding over...no...I have a back-up plan...I just hope for a shot or two that I want...
When it's your own camera I don't think it would be a problem.

I think it becomes an issue when you hire a professional photographer and invite them as a guest at your wedding but they still shoot pics like they're working.

I don't think you will have a problem with shooting a couple of your own photos at your DP. Like you said, it will be obvious that you are setting up the shots, not him. I wouldn't worry about that. And I also agree, I don't know that I would spend that much to photography just the DP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter