Getting an upgrade...what's the etiquette?

moopdog

Dreaming of Disney....
I've never been upgraded at any hotel on any trip. I have to wonder...is it because I've never asked for it at check-in? I would feel weird/rude flat out asking! I honestly don't know if only upgrade those that ask (when they have the availability to do so, of course), or if they like to shock guests by springing it on them, like SUPRISE!!

I've also noticed people commenting lately on the fact that when they've done the on-line check in in advance, they haven't gotten their room request. Is there anything to that? I just want to know:

a) how to improve my chances for an upgrade, and
b) when and how should we make our room requests, and
c) what are the best buildings for POFQ and AKL (standard view...but hoping for an upgrade ;))

I've been upgraded twice and never when I've asked for it... I suggest paying for the room you want and not ask for upgrades.

I would feel weird/rude flat out asking!

"i'd like a better room, but i don't want to pay for it like those suckers did."

i think you have a point that it is rude...and the CMs would agree from what i've read: asking for a free upgrade means you're less likely to get it.

a) how to improve my chances for an upgrade,

if you go to AKL when they are not booked up (i.e. they have savanna view rooms available), that improves your chances. no idea how to know that ahead of time...you can make guesses based on how busy the parks are i suppose.

checking in early might help. no idea whether online check-in hurts. i do know that many upgrades are arranged before you get to the front desk.

i'd also add that upgrades are not as common as they seem on the DIS...95% of people are happy with what they booked but you tend to notice and overcount the "I GOT UPGRADED" titles...

also, if you book a stay at a DVC resort on points (AKV, for example), you are less likely to get upgraded than a cash customer. timeshares are different than hotels...

Etiquette would be never ask, but say "thank you" if you have the fortune of getting upgraded. Never leave your vacation to the slim chance of getting an upgrade, book what you want in advance.:goodvibes

I've been upgraded twice and never when I've asked for it... I suggest paying for the room you want and not ask for upgrades.

Well my room is already paid for, so that part is done. So did they just let you know at check-in, or did you see it on your online reservation in advance. Do they ever explain WHY you're getting an upgrade? Sorry for being naive, just curious.

There's no way to improve your chances of getting an upgrade; they're done for the resort's own operational needs. It's simply a matter of luck. The resort happens to need the room that you would have been assigned to for the dates that you'll be there, so they have to put you somewhere else. They might need to take the room out of service for maintenance, or they might have overbooked that room category for those dates - any number of reasons, really. It's nothing you can influence.

Asking for a free upgrade is not recommended; many CMs have reported here that they won't give a complimentary upgrade to a guest who asks for one. It really puts them in an uncomfortable position.

a) how to improve my chances for an upgrade

There is nothing you can do to improve your chances. Upgrades are given when it is advantageous to the resort. One way to guarantee NOT getting one is to ask for one.:thumbsup2

b) when and how should we make our room requests

I alway add them when I make the original reservation. I like to call about 1 week prior to arrival and ask the CM to please read me back any requests on my reservation.

c) what are the best buildings for POFQ and AKL (standard view...but hoping for an upgrade ;))

At POFQ, we like building 2. It's close to the boat dock, pool and the food court. Building 5 has the same plusses as 2. Never stayed at AKL yet.

So did they just let you know at check-in, or did you see it on your online reservation in advance. Do they ever explain WHY you're getting an upgrade? Sorry for being naive, just curious.

You will find out when you check-in. I've never heard of anyone being told the real reason for the upgrade.

I did get an upgrade at AKL a couple years ago. I orignally booked for a Savannah view-my DH talked me into downgrading room to no view and have more money to spend in parks. So I did downgrade room.

Upon check in the CM said you wanted a Savannah view? I said I did but had downgraded to a regular room. She said we put you in a Savannah view with no extra cost. Didn't ask why-I was thrilled.

We have gotten two very nice upgrades. We did online check in for both, and found out about both upon arrival. Both did seem like the upgrade was already in the computer when we got there. It did not seem like the CM decided to upgrade us once we arrived.

First- we were upgraded from a Std. Garden wing room at CR to the Hospitality Suite- We were "family of the day", and checked in around 6:00 pm, so we weren't there very early.

Next time- We had booked a week in a garden view room at the Poly and had added a night at POFQ for the beginning of the trip, since the great PIN we were using didn't start till day 2. They did not give us a reason for the upgrade, but I figure they were overbooked at POFQ for that night. It was probably easier just to move us for the one night, rather than have to upgrade guests to another resort for a whole week. We also got lucky with an upgraded Poly view for that trip.

I have never requested any kind of upgrade.

When I am not renting DVC points ( NO UPGRADES EVER) I get upgraded frequently but I only stay one or two nights so they have the flexibility to move me to wherever they want if there is an opening. usually savanah view upgrades at AKL and from garden to Tower at Contemporary or to preferred room at the resorts that have that category. I rarely pay for a room view other than standard. I will pay for it now at AKL just because I really really disliked the one time I had a parking lot view instead of seeing animals from my balcony.

I do online check in every time and arrive when I say I will be arriving. I don't make requests because I book online and if I get to my room and I am not happy I call the front desk and ask to be moved. There has never been a problem and I have asked for new rooms up to 4 times when I was at All star sports and music. I don't want to be out in the pasture in the dark when I am alone with my son so I keep calling back until I get a better location. My DH knows not to bring the bags to the room until I have settled in to one.

Don't ask for an upgrade. If you want to make changes at the desk don't do online check in. Do tell them that you are excited to be there, that you have never stayed there before or that you always stay there because of a certain feature of the resort. Look at the room when they circle it on the map and ask them if there is a different location available. Tell them you are willing to move rooms the next day if that's ok. Keep being persistent if you are truly unhappy, but realize you may have to pack and unpack during your trip if you really want to move.

As people have said, book where you can afford to stay and pay for what you want. then you will be happy with what you have and happier if there is a surprise!

We booked a split stay once with the first 2 nights at the Poly for my daughter's birthday. We were checking out and then moving over to POR to get free dining. I went to check out, and just asked the price difference to stay at the Poly the entire time because we loved it so much. When she told me it was over $1000+, I said no thanks and walked off. The manager met me at the door and asked me if I would like to stay. He upgraded us at no charge!!! We stayed 6 more nights at the Poly for the price of POR.
I do know that my friend, who was checking in at POR the same day said their computers were down and it was a crazy nightmare over there. She waited hours to get checked in. I am thinking that the manager must have known the mess that I was about to walk into, and just did it because of that. We were thrilled though!!

We received an upgrade on our honeymoon. We were booked garden view at GF. When we checked in we asked how much it would be a night to upgrade our room. The CM gave us a price and we agreed to it. she then made another call and told us that our upgrade would be complimentary! We ended up getting a gorgeous room with one balcony facing MK and another balcony facing the Poly. To this day my DH and I feel we got the upgrade for free because we had been willing to pay for it.

Well my room is already paid for, so that part is done. So did they just let you know at check-in, or did you see it on your online reservation in advance. Do they ever explain WHY you're getting an upgrade? Sorry for being naive, just curious.

It happened to me as I checked in... I was told, as they entered the info in the computer, that they had a surprise for me!

Once it was because they had an open suite... I'm not sure if they ever told us why the second time...

I have been upgraded, it just depends on how booked they are. Our last trip at AKL in late August, we booked pool view, and no upgrade. Resort was at 100% capacity. So I was really glad I booked pool view and not standard view with hope of upgrade.
I would book a room you will be happy with, and if you get an upgrade it's icing on the cake.
I've never asked.

I have all my room requests attached to my reservation, you have to phone reservations, and ask.

Have a great trip.

I don't know about everyone else but when i get back to my room the only view i care to see is the back of my eye lids!!

At AKL, the Standard rooms are basically those rooms that cannot be classified as either Pool View or Savannah View. The Standard rooms won't have much of a view at all ---- parking lot, loading dock, that sort of thing. That's the downside of the AKL Standard ---- the view is less than desireable. I don't think that there is much point in making a special room request if you have a Standard room reserved.

The upside is that there really are not very many Standard rooms at AKL. The chances of them being overbooked are good. The other upside (in my opinion) is that it allows you to stay at AKL for a much more reasonable price than Savannah View. There are LOTS of public areas where you can view the animals.

If the Savannah View is not in your budget, an option to consider is a Pool View. If I recall correctly (and I certainly might be wrong), the cost of a Pool View is closer to the cost of a Standard than it is to the cost of a Savannah View. If you do not get an upgrade, then you still have a pleasant view from your room.

At AKL, the Standard rooms are basically those rooms that cannot be classified as either Pool View or Savannah View. The Standard rooms won't have much of a view at all ---- parking lot, loading dock, that sort of thing. That's the downside of the AKL Standard ---- the view is less than desireable. I don't think that there is much point in making a special room request if you have a Standard room reserved.

The upside is that there really are not very many Standard rooms at AKL. The chances of them being overbooked are good. The other upside (in my opinion) is that it allows you to stay at AKL for a much more reasonable price than Savannah View. There are LOTS of public areas where you can view the animals.

If the Savannah View is not in your budget, an option to consider is a Pool View. If I recall correctly (and I certainly might be wrong), the cost of a Pool View is closer to the cost of a Standard than it is to the cost of a Savannah View. If you do not get an upgrade, then you still have a pleasant view from your room.

think $10 more a night for pool view. well worth the $$$

You will find out when you check-in. I've never heard of anyone being told the real reason for the upgrade.

Only times I've heard of someone being told the reason is when it's being done to resolve a room problem that the customer discovered [ie, Snake in the Room].

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter