Get me excited about the Contemporary

For what it is worth I would LOVE to stay at this resort one day. All for these reasons:-

1. Love the look of the rooms
2. Contempo Cafe is one of the BEST quick service restaurants I have been too
3. Absolutely love the causeway with the mural
4. Pools look great
5. Quick walk to MK
7. Easy Monorail to Epcot
8. Main Pool looks fun
9. Bay Lake Pool is somewhere I could easily spend a few hours
10. I am a sucker for nostalgia

Hope this helps.
Andrew

If this doesn’t help, nothing will.

I agree that theming at the Contemporary is easily the worst on the monorail loop. But it’s still a great hotel. A walk to MK can’t be beat, some great places to get food, and it’s a classic Disney World hotel. The first one ever! (Well technically the Poly opened an hour earlier but I think the Contempo was the first one to check in guests - something like that).

If you’re used to theming of the Poly, it will definitely be a little underwhelming. But you’re staying at a legendary hotel... you’ll have a great time!

Last edited:
Love the contemporary. We had a garden room and paid to upgrade to a theme park view. It was amazing. The view is fantastic, it’s a smaller resort and everything is in one buildings. So easy to get around and so close to magic kingdom.

The wife and I did a split stay several years ago at Poly and CR. I figured the wife would love the Poly and CR was a dream of mine since I was kid. We both ended up loving the CR way better than the Poly.

I will be staying there for the first time this week and am absolutely over the moon about it! I think people see a lack of theming because it doesn't transport you elsewhere, like the Poly or AKL. What it does, I think, is celebrate exactly where you are - Walt Disney World. Between the Mary Blair mural, the monnorail, and the views of Magic Kingdom, you can't get much more Disney World than this!

When I see people say lack of theming I scratch my head. It screams Disney to me.

I think people are talking about the rooms themselves. This:

11031_79_z.jpg

(just an internet photo, not mine)

looks very nice, but not "Disney-ish" to me at all.

(That said, I would still stay there, and I definitely think it makes the most sense for the OP!)

11031_79_z.jpg

(That said, I would still stay there, and I definitely think it makes the most sense for the OP!)

Maybe I am a minimalist, but I love the rooms. I don't like things to be loud when I get back to relax from the parks.

The thing is that the Contemporary is probably the most heavily themed WDW resort. Every thing about it is what modern was. A lot of folks don't like the theme but that is totally different than having no theme.

It may have been at one point, it was the hotel of the "future"... but now it's barely themed. It's just a nice looking hotel. Having a theme of being modern is barely a theme.

Right, that's the theme! 1970s modern.

Yeah but a lot of has been changed. The floor where the Contempo Cafe is now used to be much more "futuristic", the rooms used to have a more futuristic feel.

Do you feel immersed in a theme when you're there? Could someone guess the theme that didn't know it beforehand their first time in?

Something else I like about CR... the rooms generally don't have motion sensor thermostats and you have a lot of control over the cooling in your room. You can get a CR room ICE COLD quickly. If you like to sleep with it cold, CR is your place.

11031_79_z.jpg

That almost looks like just about any of the hotel rooms and villas at WDW now. All the theming is being taken out of the rooms. A hotel room is a hotel room these days with the newest renovations.

If you want a Disney themed room, stay at BLT. All the joys of CR with Mickey in your room (and pool).

thumb_770x513_571584fea2a31.jpg

I was worried about staying in the CR a few years ago when bringing my DS, DDIL and two DGD's to WDW. The Poly was my first choice and was under construction at the time, DS wasn't interested in the GF, so the CR was nominated as the MK resort on the monorail that we were all OK with. the CR wasn't WOWing me at all. It felt a bit like I was going to stay in an airport hotel.

Well, all that changed when we stepped into our 12th floor TPV room!!! You don't get what it is like to stay at the CR until you have stayed there! It is entirely different to stay here vs visiting the resort. No, it isn't for everyone, but WOW! it was great for us. I liked it so much that I booked our next two trips staying here again (I had never stayed two trips in a row in the same resort before that). The view over the MK area was incredible! A real mountain top experience!

Yes the decor is simple in the room, but it is elegant and tasteful and doesn't detract from the incredible view out the patio doors to your balcony. Plus the design of the CR building is such that everything is close with no long winding corridors. Convenience is key to a stay here: 1. Unless you are in the (very close) garden wing, everything is under one roof, 2. you have some of the best restaurants in WDW right there with you, 3. you have the easiest access overall to all of WDW (IMO) with the MK bus stop to all the resorts that aren't on the monorail or a direct boat ride away.....and 4. you can walk to/from the MK.

YES, walking distance to the MK, unique among all the resorts. Being able to walk to the MK with small children is WONDERFUL!!! It can't be overstated how convenient that is - it truly puts the CR in a class by itself, IMO.

Then all the tower rooms have huge comfortable balconies with beautiful views regardless of which direction you face - I have stayed in rooms with both views and I am not certain which I prefer. They are both fantastic!

The pool area is simple and the pool needs updating, it's true. However, we have found the view over the lake relaxing and never have had a problem getting loungers or having the area overcrowded. We enjoy our pool time more than we had originally anticipated.

Others have mentioned the nostalgia and the Disney theming and I agree with them that the CG is indeed the epitome of authentic Disney theming. Most of the resorts are themed to places other than WDW, such as Victorian England, Polynesian islands, New England, Africa, etc. Even the value resorts, which illustrate the Disney animation in films, only show that aspect of Disney. The CR IS iconic Disney in and of itself. AND The CR is an original that seems to really live up to its name - it still feels as Contemporary to me today as it has in the past. Yet, at the same time, a stay here always transports me back in time to that day when the MK first opened its doors. It is exciting, fun and nostalgic - totally Disney!

.....and I have to mention:
The priceless memories of watching the MK fireworks with my little grand daughters in their PJ's on the balcony at the CR are engraved in my heart forever! Enjoy creating your own special memories with your little one!

We LOVE the CR!!! I hope that you will too! It truly is a special place.

In relation to my other post - we upgraded to the contemporary so we can be on the monorail but I'm not thrilled about the resort. It seems to have the least theming and least appeal, despite it being a deluxe resort. I've usually stayed at POR or CS in the recent past so this is new.

Tell me, what is cool and exciting about the Contemporary, besides it being on the monorail?

I'm coming with a 3-year-old and a husband who is not excited at all. I feel like I will miss the Disney theming.
The monorail running through it is cool. The rooms are beautiful. It's right on Bay Lake with boat access to Hoop Dee Doo Revue, and a view of the Electrical Water Pageant. You can walk to and from MK. It's awesome.

Something else I like about CR... the rooms generally don't have motion sensor thermostats and you have a lot of control over the cooling in your room. You can get a CR room ICE COLD quickly. If you like to sleep with it cold, CR is your place.

This was heavenly after doing a split stay at pop, which does have the sensors and always felt warm. I love a nice cold room.

I was worried about staying in the CR a few years ago when bringing my DS, DDIL and two DGD's to WDW. The Poly was my first choice and was under construction at the time, DS wasn't interested in the GF, so the CR was nominated as the MK resort on the monorail that we were all OK with. the CR wasn't WOWing me at all. It felt a bit like I was going to stay in an airport hotel.

Well, all that changed when we stepped into our 12th floor TPV room!!! You don't get what it is like to stay at the CR until you have stayed there! It is entirely different to stay here vs visiting the resort. No, it isn't for everyone, but WOW! it was great for us. I liked it so much that I booked our next two trips staying here again (I had never stayed two trips in a row in the same resort before that). The view over the MK area was incredible! A real mountain top experience!

Yes the decor is simple in the room, but it is elegant and tasteful and doesn't detract from the incredible view out the patio doors to your balcony. Plus the design of the CR building is such that everything is close with no long winding corridors. Convenience is key to a stay here: 1. Unless you are in the (very close) garden wing, everything is under one roof, 2. you have some of the best restaurants in WDW right there with you, 3. you have the easiest access overall to all of WDW (IMO) with the MK bus stop to all the resorts that aren't on the monorail or a direct boat ride away.....and 4. you can walk to/from the MK.

YES, walking distance to the MK, unique among all the resorts. Being able to walk to the MK with small children is WONDERFUL!!! It can't be overstated how convenient that is - it truly puts the CR in a class by itself, IMO.

Then all the tower rooms have huge comfortable balconies with beautiful views regardless of which direction you face - I have stayed in rooms with both views and I am not certain which I prefer. They are both fantastic!

The pool area is simple and the pool needs updating, it's true. However, we have found the view over the lake relaxing and never have had a problem getting loungers or having the area overcrowded. We enjoy our pool time more than we had originally anticipated.

Others have mentioned the nostalgia and the Disney theming and I agree with them that the CG is indeed the epitome of authentic Disney theming. Most of the resorts are themed to places other than WDW, such as Victorian England, Polynesian islands, New England, Africa, etc. Even the value resorts, which illustrate the Disney animation in films, only show that aspect of Disney. The CR IS iconic Disney in and of itself. AND The CR is an original that seems to really live up to its name - it still feels as Contemporary to me today as it has in the past. Yet, at the same time, a stay here always transports me back in time to that day when the MK first opened its doors. It is exciting, fun and nostalgic - totally Disney!

.....and I have to mention:
The priceless memories of watching the MK fireworks with my little grand daughters in their PJ's on the balcony at the CR are engraved in my heart forever! Enjoy creating your own special memories with your little one!

We LOVE the CR!!! I hope that you will too! It truly is a special place.
We just got back from Disney and did a pop/contemporary/yacht split stay and hands down my favorite was the contemporary because of the short hallways. Our room at the yacht club was so far down three corridors and corners. Hated that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter