Get me excited about the Contemporary

What do you mean it has no Disney theming?? It is the ORIGINAL Disney resort. It IS Disney. The Mary Blair mural?? The castle is right outside. Fireworks every night! The Water pageant????

I mean, come on.

(it's our favorite resort)

As a long time lurker - I feel privileged to have you comment on my post :worship:

Your comment is completely appreciated - it's exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you!

I think one of the charms of the Contemporary is that it is one of the two original resorts for WDW. I can remember as a child going to Disney when it was just the Contemporary and the Polynesian and being in awe of that big building with the monorail running through it. So it stills holds that original Disney magic that I remember from my childhood.

I'll be honest. If you are only staying 2 days, the CR is a great choice. You dont really have a lot of time to spend at the hotel/resort anyway. So no loss there. CR is so fun and exciting for a child. I stayed there 2times as a child and it was amazing to me. They have a great quick service restaurant in there Contempo Cafe. You can go to Chef Mickeys for breakfast and be right there! It's a quick walk to MK. They have a few really nice lively shops to shop in. The rooms are large! They have a nice marina area in the back if you want to rent a water vehicle (We did this). And best of all you can view the fireworks from the hotel (there is a balcony behind the shops that you can watch from there). With a 2 day stay, it's a perfect resort to stay at, without wasting ANY time to get to and from MK. IMO, to stay at the POLY for ex, for 2 days would be a tease anyway, in the sense that you wouldn't really have any time to enjoy the resort if you are going to the MK or any park. HTH

This an excellent post / good advice about CR, in my humble opinion.

I love the Contermporary. I got to stay there once back when I was a kid and once several years ago.

The contempo cafe is a great place to eat (we go there every trip for a meal or 2 no matter where we stay. The Wave has a great breakfast. The kids love to watch the monorails and loved the kids play area and the pool.

The fact you can walk to the park is a bonus.

To me it screams the Disney I remember as a child.

Be sure to take your daughter out on the balcony behind the shops. There is a place where you can stand underneath the monorail as it passes right over your head. Pretty cool!

I LOVE the Contemporary!
Sounds amazing! I will look into this!!

Reasons to get excited about CR?

If you have a TPV room and an odd numbered room, you can lay in bed and see the castle.
IMG_2207.jpg

Plus great fireworks views. There's a channel on the TV that plays the music.
2.JPG

Even on the "standard" side of the A-frame the views are wonderful. It's Bay Lake after all.
8.JPG

Nightly EWP stop....
9.JPG

As mentioned - rooms are nice and big!
1.JPG

I do give knocks for not having a zero entry pool... but the pool deck/location itself is beautiful, usually isn't crazy crowded (ahem, Poly), and staring up at this beauty isn't necessarily a bad thing.
IMG_5595.JPG

Anyway - hope that helps!

Signed,
Unashamed CR lover

No Disney theming you say? ;)

Contemporary-Resort-019.jpg

Contemporary_blt_baycove_pool.jpg

Disney-s-Contemporary-Resort-orlando-1396777-500-400.jpg

For reals, you guys are gonna love it!

Sorry for not being clear enough -- We like the convenience of the monorail since we will have small child with us. We are only staying for 2 days and are going to MK and HS. For a 3YO, staying on the monorail is a big draw (she's super excited about that specifically).

I'm having a hard time finding posts from people who LOVE the Contemporary, like you can easily find from other resorts, and was hoping to get some positive reviews of it here.

I understand your feelings. We "scoped it out" for future dream trips when we had an ADR at the Wave, and I kind of got the same impression you did...but I absolutely think it's the best choice for a quick trip with your 3-year-old!! Her excitement over the monorail, plus being able to watch the fireworks from the hotel (and then get her right to bed) will be huge.

Here's some more stuff to get you motivated:

The artist who did the big mural:

https://onanimation.com/2015/09/07/the-art-flair-of-mary-blair/

Hidden Mickeys to find there:

http://www.disneycontemporary.com/content/hidden-mickeys-contemporary-resort

Last edited:
I stayed at CR once as a kid when we got “upgraded” because our booked resort (Caribbean beach) had no rooms left (this was the 90s! Lol). I remember being ENTHRALLED by the CR as a kid. Like, seriously, some of my best memories of Disney. So having a small child with you, I think the memories they will have from this trip alone will be worth it.
Apart from that , I LOVE the walk from contemporary to MK. To me, it’s the only way to go to MK anymore. Also, a little known fact is the parasailing and tubing that can be done from there on the SSL. I think that is such a unique experience. To top it all off, Cali Grill is one of my favorite spots on property EVER. You will have an amazing time even if the “theming” isn’t as strong!

In relation to my other post - we upgraded to the contemporary so we can be on the monorail but I'm not thrilled about the resort. It seems to have the least theming and least appeal, despite it being a deluxe resort. I've usually stayed at POR or CS in the recent past so this is new.

Tell me, what is cool and exciting about the Contemporary, besides it being on the monorail?

I'm coming with a 3-year-old and a husband who is not excited at all. I feel like I will miss the Disney theming.
You can WALK to MK! Dreamy with a 3 year-old!

In relation to my other post - we upgraded to the contemporary so we can be on the monorail but I'm not thrilled about the resort. It seems to have the least theming and least appeal, despite it being a deluxe resort. I've usually stayed at POR or CS in the recent past so this is new.

Tell me, what is cool and exciting about the Contemporary, besides it being on the monorail?

I'm coming with a 3-year-old and a husband who is not excited at all. I feel like I will miss the Disney theming.

For what it is worth I would LOVE to stay at this resort one day. All for these reasons:-

1. Love the look of the rooms
2. Contempo Cafe is one of the BEST quick service restaurants I have been too
3. Absolutely love the causeway with the mural
4. Pools look great
5. Quick walk to MK
7. Easy Monorail to Epcot
8. Main Pool looks fun
9. Bay Lake Pool is somewhere I could easily spend a few hours
10. I am a sucker for nostalgia

Hope this helps.
Andrew

We stayed when my youngest was six months old. Being able to walk to MK was amazing. The fact that we could leave the stroller up the entire time we traveled to Epcot was awesome. We requested a ground floor room (garden wing, garden view). We could walk right out of our room onto the beach. The water pageant was literally right outside our door.

In the garden wing, our room was very quiet. It was about as far from the main building as you can get, but still not terrible. And there is something about the grand concourse of the Contemporary. The vibe and energy is SO very Disney.

Well, I thought I made it pretty clear in my explanation - we want to be on the monorail. The Polynesian is not available and the GF is too expensive for us.

Never mind!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter