George Floyd case - Officer arrested for Murder

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as good officers knowingly camouflage the bad corrupt officers?
I haven't once defended the officer's actions. Everyone keeps flip-flopping when it meets their needs to comparing BLM vs. MAGA, then BLM vs. Cops. Pick a debate and stick with it. The debate was comparing the lock-down protesters to the violent thugs we have seen the last few nights. Some of you want to focus on the MAGA folks that were armed. I didn't agree with it personally, but it's protected behavior under the U.S. Const. I do support and agree with the Const. I support anyone who wants to peacefully protest. I don't recall any violence during any of the "MAGA" capitol protests. Maybe some people got hurt feelings, but nothing that wouldn't be corrected with a nice bowl of ice cream with sprinkles. I just wish everyone would scold BLM for not social distancing like they did with the capitol protests.

You're still confused. I didn't quote him. I simply answered your question.
Me too, I just couldn't remember the exact years he was Secretary ;). I remember that he and Donna Shalala joked they were on "the short list" for Cabinet positions. :rotfl:
Funny-it was a very short list.

Sorry, if it quacks like a duck..........
They are thugs. They have earned that tag. The peaceful "protesters" should have done more to "police" those among them. Many people want to lump the cops who watched the situation unfold on the street during the death of George Floyd in with the actual officer who killed him. I lump all the "peaceful protesters" in with the "thugs" who want to loot for not doing anything about it. When you allow this type of behavior your original message gets lost.
*warning - graphic video*

You still want to defend those “bystander” cops?
https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/05/29/george-floyd-arrest-video-minneapolis-dp-orig.cnn

I was a cop for 10 years. I'm not going to speak on race. But, until you've walked in those boots, you will never understand the range of emotions. I was fearful at times, I was grateful when a little kid came up with hs mother and said "thank you for your service," I was horrified at the attrocities I saw, I cried when I had to put an animal down. I suffer from PTSD from the job.

Until you have done it, don't judge harshly. I am not saying right or wrong. Most likely wrong... but don't jump.

And, yes. I think "wrong." I'm a white middle-aged male retired police officer.
I was a cop for 25 years, and I don't have the slightest reservation or hesitation about properly "judging" the actions and non-actions of the four Minneapolis police officers.

Their actions were incompetent, illegal, dishonorable, and a very poor reflection on their profession, department, and community. And they didn't get to that place the moment they pulled up at that intersection. They got there because of the culture of their department, weak leadership, and the community's tolerance of repeated problems in their police department.

In addition, if you listen to law enforcement officers across the country -- especially officers from larger, urban departments -- you will hear the same "judgement." We are disgusted by their behavior and look forward to their successful prosecution.

It would be great if someone would go in there and clean house in the department, but the little mayor of Minneapolis clearly isn't up to the task.

In the long run, it's up to the people of Minneapolis to determine what kind of police department they have. They will get what they want, and will deserve what they get.

Last edited:
It would be great if someone would go in there and clean house in the department, but the little mayor of Minneapolis clearly isn't up to the task. In the long run, it's up to the people of Minneapolis to determine what kind of police department they have. They will get what they want, and will deserve what they get.
The people of Minneapolis do not deserve cops like this, no matter what you think of their mayor.

It would be great if someone would go in there and clean house in the department, but the little mayor of Minneapolis clearly isn't up to the task.
He hasn't been up to the task before or after this incident.
In addition, if you listen to law enforcement officers across the country -- especially officers from larger, urban departments -- you will hear the same "judgement."
That is pretty much true. I have your qualifications: 25ish years, large urban department, half that time as a supervisor/manager. I watched the video the first time and thought to myself "this isn't going to turn out good for the officers." Another example to give to subordinates of what not to do.

The people of Minneapolis do not deserve cops like this, no matter what you think of their mayor.
Nobody deserves It... NOBODY! The Governor of Minnesota and the Mayor of Minneapolis need to step up.

I just read that Derek Chauvin's wife is filing for divorce.
Chauvin had a long history of aggressive behavior. The owner of the club where he and Floyd both worked commented on his over the top actions. He was employed by this club for 17 YEARS!!! Why????

Last edited:
Nobody deserves It... NOBODY! The Governor of Minnesota and the Mayor of Minneapolis need to step up.
We live in a democracy. WE determine what our government looks like and how it functions, and WE are responsible for it.

Minneapolis is not a big department (+/-800 officers), but it going to be a difficult task to turn it around. My department went through this in the early 1980's, and it's hard. Most departments that start down this path fail; we succeeded, but it was a long, painful grind.

It's going to require determined, strong leadership both internally and outside the department -- and they are going to have to fight hard for several years to effect real change. People will have to be fired. People will have to be harshly disciplined. Supervisors and managers will have to hold officers and each other accountable.

I don't see anybody in Minneapolis who has demonstrated the courage or discipline to do that. The governor probably doesn't have the legal authority to reach into the city government to change things. It's up to the people of Minneapolis.

Chauvin had a long history of aggressive behavior. The owner of the club where he and Floyd both worked commented on his over the top actions. He was an employed by this club for 17 YEARS!!! Why????
Because the owner of the club wasn't man or woman enough to fire him. They not only tolerated his behavior, they enabled it.

Again, please refer to the post where I defended any of the officers? I think you are confusing me not defending the looters to me defending the officers.

“people want to lump the cops who watched the situation unfold on the street during the death of George Floyd in with the actual officer who killed him.”
They didn’t just watch. But even if they had, yes, they should be held accountable for not stopping it. They all knew it was not a sanctioned hold.

The police in an average year kill about 400 Caucasians. Does the fact that I don’t see videos of those deaths on CNN mean that there were no questionable circumstances associated with any of those deaths?

Life is just one darn imperfect situation after another. There ought to be a law against it-maybe call it the Utopia law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter