George Floyd case - Officer arrested for Murder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how he could have so many complaints about him and still be on active duty. Sounds like a break down in leadership and maybe it's more than just the 4 officers that need to be investigated and potentially charged.
IF there is a pattern of SERIOUS complaints where appropriate action was not taken, that would be a leadership problem.

If the complaints were for changing lanes without using a turn signal, they might not be relevant to a murder case. We know NOTHING about the complaints, and the complaints have NOTHING to do with the murder of George Floyd.

This whole situation is sad. I hope Chauvin gets what he deserves. But what is utterly despicable is what has gone on afterwards. (Not peaceful protests). People acting like wild animals is beyond disgusting. They should all be locked up and the keys thrown away.

This whole situation is sad. I hope Chauvin gets what he deserves. But what is utterly despicable is what has gone on afterwards. (Not peaceful protests). People acting like wild animals is beyond disgusting. They should all be locked up and the keys thrown away.

The aftermath is ridiculous. I can see the protest and maybe even some kind of minor altercations because of anger. But to loot, burn, and destroy the city is beyond ridiculous. Hopefully these people are being arrested and charged.

IF there is a pattern of SERIOUS complaints where appropriate action was not taken, that would be a leadership problem.

If the complaints were for changing lanes without using a turn signal, they might not be relevant to a murder case. We know NOTHING about the complaints, and the complaints have NOTHING to do with the murder of George Floyd.

If we know NOTHING about the complaints then how do we inherently know they have NOTHING to do with the murder?

I do hope that along the way the charge is upgraded to first degree.
Interesting point, Dan. I don't know MN laws, but that might very well be possible.

First degree murder requires premeditation -- a knowing intent. But it doesn't necessarily mean intent to KILL someone.

He held Floyd down for a LONG time, and at some point during those several minutes (especially with Floyd complaining about not being able to breathe, and others telling him Floyd couldn't breathe) the thought should have occurred to him that maybe he was really hurting this guy.

I'm sure the prosecutors were eager to charge Chauvin with something, and they may have charged him with a lesser crime to try to deflate all the community violence. Maybe later they will up the ante.

If we know NOTHING about the complaints then how do we inherently know they have NOTHING to do with the murder?
Whatever happened, those incidents are unrelated to the murder.

If Chauvin had numerous instances of using excessive force, those would be useful in a civil lawsuit against the department and city -- but they would not be relevant to this case, and would not be admissible in a criminal trial normally. They'd usually only become admissible in the murder trial if Chauvin took the witness stand and tried to claim he'd never used excessive force. They could be used as rebuttal evidence.

I can't think of very many professions where you'd still have your job after 18 complaints.
I think you could possibly brush off one or two, but 18 is excessive and shows there is a pattern of misconduct with that officer. Who knows, if he had been disciplined for more than 2 of them maybe he wouldn't have had the opportunity to kill Mr. Floyd.

He still had superiors who were aware of the complaints and their nature. If it takes bad actors out of the future picture then civil suits are a viable way of getting rid of those who did not take action against potential threats. Which can turn into kinetic (or actual threats) in the future

ETA - I am NOT shifting blame of a horrific act. I feel it best to get to the root of the problem so this type of thing won’t happen

The aftermath is ridiculous. I can see the protest and maybe even some kind of minor altercations because of anger. But to loot, burn, and destroy the city is beyond ridiculous. Hopefully these people are being arrested and charged.
That's the huge economic impact I referred to above -- and it will be borne by the minority communities where it occurs. We saw that in painful and graphic detail here in Miami in the 1980's.

What start as peaceful demonstrations turn ugly. Looting begins, buildings are burned, sometimes people are killed (1 so far in MSP). Then eventually, things calm down and people start to add up the costs.

Mom and Pop businesses lost everything and never reopen. Stores that were looted move to the suburbs. Businesses that employed local people move out and people lose their jobs. And none of that comes back. We have large areas in Miami where business never came back and eventually the county either made the areas parks or public housing. We have large areas that are still vacant lots 40 years later.

So will Minneapolis, and it 's the poor people who will bear the burden.

I do hope that along the way the charge is upgraded to first degree. And that the other clowns are also arrested and accused.

Thank God for the ubiquitousness of cell phone cameras.
People with cameras have made such a difference. Harder to claim 'resisting arrest' as a reason to kill. I live in the Pittsburgh area and remember the Johnny Gammage case, 1995. Black man driving a Jaguar, also suffocated. Officers got off scot-free.

And to think that the whole think started because Floyd was suspected of passing a bogus $20 bill. Seriously Minneapolis must be a pretty safe city if the cops show up when a store complains about a questionable bill.

He still had superiors who were aware of the complaints and their nature. If it takes bad actors out of the future picture then civil suits are a viable way of getting rid of those who did not take action against potential threats. Which can turn into kinetic (or actual threats) in the future

ETA - I am NOT shifting blame of a horrific act. I feel it best to get to the root of the problem so this type of thing won’t happen
You're absolutely right, and that is something that departments in the MSP area should take a long, hard look at. And DO SOMETHING if needed.

My department had to face up to that in the early 1980's, and we had to do a complete 180. We had about 3x the number of officers Minneapolis has, and it wasn't easy. There was a lot of noise and pain, but it was worth it.

And to think that the whole think started because Floyd was suspected of passing a bogus $20 bill. Seriously Minneapolis must be a pretty safe city if the cops show up when a store complains about a questionable bill.

Well passing counterfeit money is actually a crime.
It is the job of PO's to respond to crimes, even if they aren't violent or put anyone in danger.
The problem isn't that they responded to the store's call.
My ds worked at a grocery store and received a counterfeit bill, he informed the manager and the police were called. It's pretty standard.

Can you imagine how many cops would show up if there was a murder being committed? Well, whatever the number is, kick in an additional 3 cops to stand around and watch that crime actually being committed.

This murder has made me so so sad. It happens over and over and over and we still question why people riot. If I was continually marginalized and my family and friends lived in fear and I had to have the talk with my son about "obeying" the police at all cost who knows whether I would lose it at some point.

George was murdered over a $20 bill that may or may not be counterfeit and he may or may not have known even if it was. He begged for air and a police officer decided he was lying or being dramatic or meant to injure/kill him. There were 4 officers there to get him into the car, he was on the ground, handcuffed, and still deadly force was used. It is a systemic problem and is absolutely racism.

I don't even know how to proceed, how to help, how to be the light in the darkness, how to support, how to put love over hate, etc. at this point. Honestly, I'm just sad and defeated and have lost a lot of faith in the human race.

This murder has made me so so sad. It happens over and over and over and we still question why people riot. If I was continually marginalized and my family and friends lived in fear and I had to have the talk with my son about "obeying" the police at all cost who knows whether I would lose it at some point.

George was murdered over a $20 bill that may or may not be counterfeit and he may or may not have known even if it was. He begged for air and a police officer decided he was lying or being dramatic or meant to injure/kill him. There were 4 officers there to get him into the car, he was on the ground, handcuffed, and still deadly force was used. It is a systemic problem and is absolutely racism.

I don't even know how to proceed, how to help, how to be the light in the darkness, how to support, how to put love over hate, etc. at this point. Honestly, I'm just sad and defeated and have lost a lot of faith in the human race.

Yep.

And how it would have been different if I, as a middle aged white woman, had been accused of having a counterfeit $20. Any of us could have that in our wallet without knowing. It is very sad.

That is how I have been looking at things lately. Ahmaud Arbery - what if 2 black men in a pickup had chased a white man and shot him in the street? Arrests would have been immediate.

....................... Well, whatever the number is, kick in an additional 3 cops to stand around and watch that crime actually being committed.

Only 1 standing, 2 others were also kneeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter