Genie+

Then I suppose the free option will be regular stand-by, that should be significnatly shorter than it was during the FP+ era because 75-80% of the line will not be taken up by FP+ reservations anymore that were all scopped up 2 months prior.
I don't think the standby lines will be shorter. If they don't sell many G+ the lines will be long just like they were before fastpass, and if they sell lots of G+ they will just increase the LL to standby ratio. Either way standby gets longer in my opinion.

I don't think the standby lines will be shorter. If they don't sell many G+ the lines will be long just like they were before fastpass, and if they sell lots of G+ they will just increase the LL to standby ratio. Either way standby gets longer in my opinion.

I think you misinterpreted what I meant.

The lines will still have lots of people like always, but the standby waits will be shorter becasue the amount of the line taken up by FP holders should be less. So more standby passengers will get processed per hour than the amount that got processed when ~75%-80% of the line was FP+ holders.

We would really take advantage of fp during our park days and booking 60 days out, so I think its a step backwards for people like me. For others, the new way may work better. We are also not rope droppers so the thought of waking up on vacation with teens to book 1 tier two fp doesnt even seem worth it. I also dont think they priced it in a manner to separate it enough to be an "upsell", for $15 I think most will get it and it will just be the new stand by line.

The lines will still have lots of people like always, but the standby waits will be shorter becasue the amount of the line taken up by FP holders should be less. So more standby passengers will get processed per hour than the amount that got processed when ~75%-80% of the line was FP+ holders.
I understood what you meant, I just disagree.

I understood what you meant, I just disagree.

Then I don't understand why you think that. Unless they distribute more LL passes for every ride than the 75-80% FP+ that was distributed per queue, then standby waits simply cannot get longer.

Are you under the belief that more than 80% of queues under Genie+ will be devoted to LL? If so then Disney has made their own longstanding problems even worse.

I think your logic only works if they get to the point where there are no people in the G+ line and they take more Standby guests in place of the G+ guests. Otherwise, they still process the same number of people from each line at the same rate as before(unless they change their ratios). Since there will more likely now be less people in the G+ lines (but not zero) and more people in the Standby lines, G+ will be a shorter wait and Standby will be a longer wait.

Last edited:
I think your logic only works if they get to the point where there are no people in the G+ line and they take more Standby guests in place of the G+ guests. Otherwise, they still process the same number of people from each line at the same rate as before(unless they change their ratios). Since there will more likely now be less people in the G+ lines (but not zero) and more people in the Standby lines, G+ will be a shorter wait and Standby will be a longer wait.

That is my assumption though. They aren't going to be distributing nor processing the same ratios of LL that they did FP+. Disney has stated multiple times that one of the biggest guest complaints over the last while are the standby lines.

When only 30% or less of daily visitors benefited from FP+ for the mosts popular attractions, leaving 70%+ of the days guests stuck to waiting significantly longer in standby (because they processed so few standby per hour), if they're just going to do the same ratios for LL as they did for FP+ then they've failed before they even started.

When only 30% or less of daily visitors benefited from FP+ for the mosts popular attractions, leaving 70%+ of the days guests stuck to waiting significantly longer in standby (because they processed so few standby per hour), if they're just going to do the same ratios for LL as they did for FP+ then they've failed before they even started.

Sounds plausible.

I'm not an expert on these matters, but happy to throw my wild guess into the mix here...

I'm guessing there's not going to be a change in the standby wait times, based on two hypotheses:
  1. Standby wait time is probably more heavily influenced by people's threshold on how long they're willing to wait. So even if the standby line moves quicker people will still pile into the line until it hits their wait threshold.
    • I believe the parks are already way over capacity so moving people through the line quicker just means they'll ride more rides (get in another line) vs shortening the waits. I think right now, a lot of people just don't get all the rides in they had hoped to.
  2. I think LL will likely process the same amount of people as before. G+ just makes it more equitable to those who aren't on-site stay super-planners.

G+ will likely allow Disney to tweak the parameters during the day (or the day before), so we should see some efficiency improvements but I'm not sure how impactful these will really be. I'm guessing it's just a band-aid to the real issue, which is not having enough capacity in the park(s) to handle the demand.

I'm guessing it's just a band-aid to the real issue, which is not having enough capacity in the park(s) to handle the demand.
Yep. WDW should have built a 5th gate years ago. Old fav concept was Disney Villians. Think they took the easy and cheap way out by going with the Villians After Hours paid party. Other rumour is they blew it with Harry Potter when they demanded too much IP control. In stepped Universal. Many poor corporate level decisions made repeatedly over the decades have piled up and put us right on top of this mess.

And now we have a start date... and some more details. Since I'll be there Oct 25 - 31, waiting to see how the first few days play out. I know kiddo will want to pay for Space, it's his favourite ride. I just don't like the idea of having to pay for it! And yes, I know, Stand By will still be an option.

I'll admit, I was enjoying watching the past week or two of low wait times, hoping the trend would continue for my trip. Now, who knows! We'll still have fun but I hope I don't have to add a bunch of extra money for this :(

And now we have a start date... and some more details. Since I'll be there Oct 25 - 31, waiting to see how the first few days play out. I know kiddo will want to pay for Space, it's his favourite ride. I just don't like the idea of having to pay for it! And yes, I know, Stand By will still be an option.

I'll admit, I was enjoying watching the past week or two of low wait times, hoping the trend would continue for my trip. Now, who knows! We'll still have fun but I hope I don't have to add a bunch of extra money for this :(

Has a price been released yet

I believe it said $7-$15 per person.

And it will vary by day, so one day it could be $7 and then $15 another.

I will be watching wait times when this rolls out, I don't think we will need it at Epcot or AK, but the other two, maybe. $30 a day for us, plus the extra rides. It will really add up. But maybe we won't need it. Maybe.

I think what I am least looking forward to right now is having to research and read all about it and then figure out the best times and ways to use it etc . I don’t want vacation homework and it all seems a little overwhelming.
Im sure people will figure how to optimize this , I just wish we didn’t have to. Maybe I’ll use it and love it , but right now it seems complicated and costly.

Was surprised to see Runaway Rail va Slinky — maybe cause their LLane isn’t as large? But it’s a pleasant surprise that I will be willing to pay. But they will get zero $$ from us for Ratatouille — did it last Saturday and that’ll be the last time (Disney might want to work on having rides actually work throughout the day before people start paying for them)

I think I'm just worried that I'd pay for it and then only get to do one or two rides using genie+ The ones that are pay and ride once, I get that, but even that requires getting a "time" so then we are having to really plan things. I guess we'll see.

Not paying for Genie+ nor the Lightning Lane. Will take advantage of early entry and evening extra hours to ride the bigger rides. I’ve heard it called the “Diaper Genie” and that’s how we refer to this new system at my house all the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter