Genealogy thread

A country that no longer is what it was (East of France, North of Greece) before (I think) WWI started.
Do you mean a country that has changed borders or just became multiple new countries? For example, Eastern Europe today is multiple countries that used to be part of bigger nations.

I need help please!!!! I am organizing my father's "holocaust box" , that's what we call it. His German Jewish family was either killed or escaped the holocaust and his archived materials about their journeys to life or death are stuffed in a box. I took the box from him and am organizing them.
However....I have come across TONS of letters from concentration camps, labor camps, on the boat to America to freedom, correspondence between relatives after the war, and my grandfather's time in a refugee camp in London. BUT they are all in OLD SCRIPT GERMAN!! I thought I only had two letters and someone online I hired transcribed a couple but it was very expensive. Then I realized I had MANY letters!!!
How can I get them transcribed in an economical way? Google translate does not transcribe old german script.
Help!
Facebook can be a great resource. My great grandfather came over from Greece. A few years ago I had very little info on my greek side (the surname I carry.) so I found a Greek Ancestry group on Facebook. Many people will ask for translation of Greek to English. You may also try Google translate. I was actually put in contact with a distant relative of the family in Greece. I cut and paste our conversations and put them in Google translate. You may also want to look for Facebook Groups of locations in Germany that the family may have lived. Also check with churches that the family may have attended. I knew my great grandfather's family were Greek Orthodox so I reached out to the church they attended in the US. Also you may reach out to a university in your area that may be able to help with the translations. Good luck! I also had a DNA surprise in my case that helped shed some light on the family and life in Greece.

My apologies for repeating some suggestions in my post above. I tried to post as I was reading the posts and hadn't read all the responses. I am so excited to see this thread. :earsboy: For the past 3 years of been investigating my genealogy. For me it started with getting curious about some family lore I had been told my whole life. That was the bait and then I was hooked. I still haven't figured out that mystery but have discovered many stories and learned about family members I never knew. Both my parents did their DNA on Ancestry. My mom was working her tree so I started with my dad's side. My mom's side is mostly English (the first time her DNA results came in she got 100 % England) and came from VA and NC into Kentucky where she was born and raised. I think I've seen some families that were in VA by 1700s. Some of her family were pretty religious. i've seen Baptists, Methodists, camp revivals and even a many greats grandfather that donated his land to the Shakers and joined them. (Glad he had children before the family joined because I wouldn't be here.) I still have a lot more work to do on this side.

My dad's family seems to be rich in history. I found a Mayflower line which I'm trying to prove. I'm finding it harder to find records for the early 1800s. The Mayflower Silver Books are good for the first 5 generations but it seems that the documentation for the in between time is harder to come by. It seems perhaps by that generation people may have lost that knowledge that they had an ancestor on the Mayflower.

I have many ancestors that were in the Revolutionary War. I lost count at at least 20 Patriots. This seems common for people that families came from New England. Most of my dad's family came from New England. He was born in MA. Two of my most favorite DAR Patriots are Gen. Nathanael Greene (my 2nd cousin 7 times removed a few different ways. My cousin was named Nathanael after him.) and John Jenckes Kilton. (
John Jenckes Kilton was one of those patriots who, in 1772, under John Brown of Providence, boarded the British revenue sloop HMS Gaspee and set her ablaze. My 5th great grandfather.) This was all on my dad's mother's side. It seems her family was banned from MA for their religious beliefs.

My dad's father's side seemed to start on Martha's Vineyard and the Salem MA area. It seems some of the family were in the seafaring industry. My great grandmother did end up marrying one of the first greeks in Salem, MA.

A country that no longer is what it was (East of France, North of Greece) before (I think) WWI started.
When you say you don’t have a name, how far back of the family line can you accurately go back? As in records going back to the family that is rumored to being in your lineage? Just trying to get a sense of what tips I can offer to help. 🤔 :-)

When you say you don’t have a name, how far back of the family line can you accurately go back? As in records going back to the family that is rumored to being in your lineage? Just trying to get a sense of what tips I can offer to help. 🤔 :-)
Thanks! I have an idea but as the aforementioned chicken, I’m good not knowing the precise title(s) that I might be related to. I don’t seek to upset any apple carts. If I could research anonymously I would.

Thanks! I have an idea but as the aforementioned chicken, I’m good not knowing the precise title(s) that I might be related to. I don’t seek to upset any apple carts. If I could research anonymously I would.
You can search anonymously. I meant that if you know either the Royal house line or the country itself, you can just look at all on record people on Wikipedia.

How’s everyone’s research going?
I'm at a point where I'm going in and cleaning up a few profiles. I have a 4x great-grandfather whose Civil War service was linked to documents for another man with the same name and from the same city. But after researching that man, I learned that he had moved West after the war, while my ancestor stayed in PA. So I'm deleting a lot of sources and facts.

I'm also stuck trying to locate one of his daughters. She disappeared after the 1870 census when she was 2 years old. Her mother and her little brother died in 1873 (complications from the birth) and the family moved from the city out to a rural area by 1880. However, she is not included with the family in any censuses that follow 1870. There are a few marriage records for children of an "Anna Smith" who was married to a "John Jones", both of whom are from the area that my 4x great-grandfather relocated to. "John Jones" happens to also be my 3x great-grandfather's brother-in-law (brother and sister married sister and brother?). I think I'm at a point where I think I need to start contacting the diocese where they would have lived for any marriage records. Nothing shows up on Ancestry for either my 3x great-grandfather or his sister.

Genealogy thread. Post questions on genealogy here. Genealogy is a hobby of mine, so if you need some tips just ask. If you have any tips, feel free to share. :-) 🌳

Hey Buzz, thanks for starting this thread. I have done some research on Ancestry and some in the family have taken the DNA test, not sure if anyone on this thread knows the answer since the question is related to DNA results, rather than the research part. But wondering the following question:

If someone has a black parent (father), and a white parent (mother)....is it possible for their DNA result to come back with only 1% "black"? The other 99% is English/Scottish/ etc. To me, that would be impossible and that her father is not who she thinks it is ??

Does anyone have advice or knowledge to share on this?

Hey Buzz, thanks for starting this thread. I have done some research on Ancestry and some in the family have taken the DNA test, not sure if anyone on this thread knows the answer since the question is related to DNA results, rather than the research part. But wondering the following question:

If someone has a black parent (father), and a white parent (mother)....is it possible for their DNA result to come back with only 1% "black"? The other 99% is English/Scottish/ etc. To me, that would be impossible and that her father is not who she thinks it is ??

Does anyone have advice or knowledge to share on this?
pretty sure that's a no. Even if the father had a substantial amount of European dna, his child would show more than 1% African

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter