• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Genealogy thread

The one I listed seems to be a business. The one you posted seems to be a private group. To be honest, I’ve never heard of either before I googled the name. 🤔 :confused3 :-)

the one I posted seems to be used a lot by people on other non translation genealogy groups I'm part of.

The one thing I have found is going by family trees on Ancestry can send you in the wrong direction. I have a cousin who has been posting the family tree but I know for a fact that much of what he posts is dead wrong. He has our family being here pre-Revolutionary War but we have documents to show that the family came in the 1880's from Germany. The trees are good for hints but until I can verify things I only use them for hints.

As someone who has dabbled in genealogy for many years, I completely agree and want to highlight this. Just because it is on a tree on ancestry.com does not mean it's valid.

One side of my family is very well plotted out and verified, and the other side is not. My Acadian side is much, much easier to trace and validate; not only does every Acadian essentially have nearly every other Acadian in their tree, the records are pretty solid. I have records going back to the first ancestor to come to North America (New France) in the 1600s. It just gets a bit questionable before that, though we know where in France he came from and his father's name.

My genetic testing (both Ancestry and 23andMe) mirrored the paper trail and brought no surprises, which was actually a bigger surprise.

My genetic testing (both Ancestry and 23andMe) mirrored the paper trail and brought no surprises, which was actually a bigger surprise.

I had one or 2 surprises using Ancestry DNA, but it also verified things my grandmother told me about my grandfather's family. I have put off that research for a bit as it's all very common Irish names. It did show that I was spot on as far as the area of Ireland. My husband was shocked to learn how much Irish he has in him. I kept telling him his grandmother was 100% Irish. I had a fairly good idea where in England and Ireland his family came from, but the DNA test again confirmed I was on the right track.

I had one or 2 surprises using Ancestry DNA, but it also verified things my grandmother told me about my grandfather's family. I have put off that research for a bit as it's all very common Irish names. It did show that I was spot on as far as the area of Ireland. My husband was shocked to learn how much Irish he has in him. I kept telling him his grandmother was 100% Irish. I had a fairly good idea where in England and Ireland his family came from, but the DNA test again confirmed I was on the right track.
I did my mother's Ancestry DNA before she passed away. Her father was "born out of wedlock" and while there had always been whispers about who his father was, there had been no confirmation by the older generation. It turns out that the whispers had some truth to them. Her first cousin had also done an Ancestry DNA and it shows without a doubt that her grandfather was the father. My grandfather and her uncle were born just a month apart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter