• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Genealogy thread

Buzz Rules,
Thank you for starting this thread and for all your information. You've generated many interesting conversations.

My question: I did the Ancestry DNA test to learn more about my Mother's origins as she was adopted. There have been many hits through Ancestry for cousins, 2nd cousins, 3rd cousins, etc. on the maternal line. I can differentiate the maternal and paternal lines because my father's family are rabid crazy genealogist LDS members and have research going back many generations.

I don't know how to use the maternal information I get on Ancestry. I thought I'd start with my mom's adoption records: I know my Mother's birthdate, year and location. How ought I proceed?
Ancestry will break down Paternal lines from Maternal Lines Can you contact some of the Maternal "cousins" and maybe one is willing to work with you. Worth a try.

Can you message some of the "matches" that are possibly from your Mother's side? Gently explain how they can help you. There has to be someone in all of those matches that connects. It is time consuming but may be well worth it if you reach your goal. Start messaging the DNA matches 2nd or 3rd cousins.......on your mother's side or those "unassigned".

I traced mother's side back to 1654 arrival in Virginia from London - pretty sure he was an indentured servant because ship's captain was given 50 acres of land per person transported (the headright system). Family hung around Virginia wilderness for a couple of generations then moved south to NC, SC, GA and finally AR. Not sure if they were following frontier or what. Very sketchy records -a little military, some land records, one church minutes book. Like putting together a puzzle with missing pieces.

My dad's arrival is a bit more documented - French Huguenots who fled France in late 1600s. Went to Holland, eventually fought with William of Orange to defeat King James then were rewarded by King William in 1700-1701 with land outside of Richmond, VA. Again, sketchy records for a few years but they made their way down Virginia to western Tennessee where most settled.

I've tried half-heartedly to go further back on both but haven't found records in London, Holland or France. I need to get serious about it. Would also love to discover some of the missing pieces once they arrived but a lot of records were burned during wars.
https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/England_Online_Genealogy_Records

https://www.gov.uk/research-family-history

Ancestry takes me back to 1600s and 1700s on some sides of the family. Some in Poland and others in Italy. Where do I go from there to find information that goes farther back from those regions?

Ancestry takes me back to 1600s and 1700s on some sides of the family. Some in Poland and others in Italy. Where do I go from there to find information that goes farther back from those regions?
If records exist for the Medieval and Renaissance era, try to see the history of the places where your ancestors were last known to live if possible. If you have specific surnames from 1600's and before, try to see any relatable resources in Ancestry's catalog system specific to each country. If you have trouble finding information there, see if public trees of other family members on Ancestry hold any clues (keep in mind they may have mistakes in their tree unless you have verified information), you can also consider contacting an Ancestry expert. My two other recommendations are to contact the government offices in those countries that are closest to the regions where your ancestors came from and to get some updated genealogy tip books from the library or book store. I hope these tips help. 😃

Last edited:
Today is the first day to register for Rootstech Genealogy Conference! I attended virtually last year (it’s free!) and had so much fun that now I’m going in person this year.

https://www.familysearch.org/rootstech/home

I got some very good tips for working with DNA matches that helped with a few brick walls I had even though after three days my brain felt like mush lol

Today is the first day to register for Rootstech Genealogy Conference! I attended virtually last year (it’s free!) and had so much fun that now I’m going in person this year.

I got some very good tips for working with DNA matches that helped with a few brick walls I had even though after three days my brain felt like mush lol
Thank you for posting this. I think I might try to attend online. I‘m still a genealogy newbie but there are already some lines of my family tree where I could use some help figuring out where to go from here.

Thank you for thi info. Do you mean the online sessions are free?

Ancestry will be charging for research/DNA match info you get for free now. See below:
From Ancestry: We're making some changes. Soon, you'll need a membership to view the features below this banner.

Anyone know the names of the British armies of 1875 to 1895? Looking for the army(ies) a Commonwealth person would have served in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter