Genealogy Research

thanks Deb.. I'll look at these after lunch... because I'll need a break from cleaning the boys' rooms that "they cleaned" this weekend... uh, you heard of a broom boys?

Hi All. Im new to this thread, I just found it. Nice. I have found my family back to the 1600's . I have a famous person in my line but I cant connect them. I know they were related cause my late dad told me that his dad used to write to his family. They were related plus they had the same last name and its a unusual last name. Im one of those that has gotten to one spot and stoped cause I dont know anywere else to go. I also have Irish/English decent, so its hard to get anything more. I put all of my stuff in a notebook form with the clear page protectors in it. But all the older ones in my family is already gone, so I cant get anything from them. Julie or Choco_latae
:thumbsup2

Piratesmate, thanks for the links. I appreciate it. I checked because my DH line were in Chester and Barts Township for awhile. In fact his gggggranparents were married in St, James Episcopal Church, Lancaster, PA, 1771. One of the first names I saw in the cemetery listing is my last name, but not a relative that I can tell. For a second there I got sooo excited.

Do you have any info on Quaker Meeting Minutes?

Julie, don't give up, it's always a constant search.

Thanks Lisa. No I wont give up , just a little pause in time. I have a grandson now , he will be three in a couple of weeks. So that takes up alot of my time. But I always remember my ROOTS. :magnify:
Julie or Choco_latae

I'm researching genealogy.. actually found DH's..6th great grandpa in PA..and contacted the reseacher and he is sharing the info he has... I hope to share what little I have in the next day or two with him and see what else I can find.. he also did shed light on who the 6th great-grandpa's father was.. of which we don't have!!!
Also, I need to research more about the Son's and Daughter's of the American Revolution... Evidently DH is eligible for this... this is according to the info received yesterday about his 6th-great grand father!!

OOH~ the other day someone replied to my message on a message board that said I had the connection right on my Pap's grandma... Her siblings were a lot older than her... she was the baby.. like 10 years later than the last child..but I was right!!! :) Yeah! Woo hoo! Rock on!! Now to continue gathering the proof we need..

I am reserching the last name Copley, which is my maiden name. In case someone knows of any. My dads dad ( my grandfather) used to write to John Singleton Copleys family, they said that we was realated. but I dont know how.
:surfweb:

...they're looking for volunteers to help transcribe records for the indexes. I want to encourage you all to volunteer to do a batch or two for them.

I was suprised at how little time it actually takes. :)

If you are a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution, or wish to join, the DAR is in the process of a similar indexing project. Upon submitting a certain number of transcribed records, a volunteer pin is available in recognition of your contributions. :thumbsup2

My chapter in Tulsa is always looking for new members!

http://www.dar.org/natsociety/content.cfm?id=92&hd=n&pf=n

So, I have been an idiot. :rotfl: This weekend, I was going to talk to DH's Grammy about her and her husband's family. DH knows nothing, I ask him things...I don't know. This is a man that LOVES to find out information about the Maxwell line. Well, the Washington death records are all on line, and older death certificates are digitized and online. So it was an easy thing to find his grandfather's birth/death info, which meant I could easily track his parents, and find their death certificates, to get enough info to find the families in the census, etc. Didn't have to go back to far to find that someone had compiled and published a book about the ancestors and descendents coming to America.

So I got DH to call and ask his Dad who his Mom's parents were. I can see where my DH gets his "I don't know" from. He could only remember his Grandpa's name, which turned out to be his middle name. It was enough, and a little shake of the great ancestry tree later, and that Grandpa had a sister, and one of her descendants has done a lot of work already and has the family traced back to where they came from in Ireland.

Why can't my family be this easy! Although it does take a bit of the fun out of it.

Good for you Hope!!

DH's father can't tell us a lot either.. he gets baffled by the little bit of info he gives me I can find things he didn't know.. He didn't realize his Grandpa on his mother's side was actually the first generation in the US, he was an immigrant from Germany...and he was a member of the German Army..and their family is prominent citizens way back when in Germany.. FIL's great-grandpa actually served in their government according to a news article I was able to find given by FIL's grandpa.

Another side story to this family.. They were also, don't know if they are directly related or not...but the Heyde family were also toy makers in Germany.. we found that bit of info on the Antiques Roadshow this weekend!!!

Looking at connections at ancestry.com for DH's family tree...saw a familiar last name. Now I'm wondering if DH is somehow related to MichellePooh's DH. :lmao:

Just checking in wanting to say hi!

Not working on anything right now. Helped my mom gather what she needed for DAR and so I have let things slide right now.

I figure if I wait long enough more stuff will become available online!:rotfl:

I think I am gonna need to take a trip to Scotland. Anyone want to come along!?

LOL! Hope..

I have a family member with BAMB's DH's last name! LOL

Scotland! Yep, I'd come along..but we'll have to get me some sleepin' pills for the flight over the pond!!!

I will come to Scotland...Maxwells come from there, and DH wants to go terribly. We actually planned to go...in 2002. But 9/11 made that not such a good idea (from a job security perspective).

If we're taking a field trip, I'm in!! :thumbsup2 I've always wanted to go to Scotland!

DH's grandfather emigrated from Scotland when he was 5. Getting info out of DMIL hasn't been too easy, but with enough prompting - over the course of several years - we were able to get enough to finally make some headway there.

For those searching, have you found the free site that helps you sort through the LDS records that were actual transcriptions of parish records instead of "member submitted"? I rarely use LDS records because I found so many errors with records on my Mom's side - things like people they listed as having died in 1910, for example, lived with my GGAunt in 1965...I used to talk with them when I spent a week with her every summer. (And I don't see dead people :rotfl: )

Sorry - I got sidetracked. :guilty: The address is: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyAyr.htm
It's just the birth & marriage records & they're listed by county & town, so you need some info to start. But parents' names are given in the birth records, so you can often find siblings you didn't know about.

Bumping this up...

When we were at the wedding in Tahoe, I spent some time asking DH's Grandma about her ancestors. I saved her for last, because I figured she was going to be a toughie, because I knew she was adopted. However, after talking to her, I learned that she had her birth parents names. Her birth mother, died shortly after she was born, and her birth father later that year. Since we are going to be at her house at Christmas Eve, I really wanted to find something to show her. So I pulled out the folder yesterday. What I found, was that she had the wrong name for her birth father. Actually, she told me one name, and then said no, it was something else. But I was able to find the cemetery records from where her birth parents are buried. And on ancestry.com the local newspaper is completely archived, so I was able to find her original birth announcement, her birth mom's death announcement, and property dispensation after her birth father's death.

Once I had the correct name, the census records popped up, and I was able to connect to other's research. It appears, on her paternal side, she is descendant of a Revolutionary War soldier that was ore of George Washington's bodyguards at Valley Forge. That's the type of stuff that makes DH giddy. Several on her ancestors immigrated from England in the early 1600's, 1628 is the earliest. So now I have more books to get my hands on, various histories of communities in New England and Pennsylvania that her ancestors were founders of or prominent residents. That's the part that makes me happy, when there is records of how the people lived, and not just names and dates.

I'd like to find something on her maternal side, before we go up.

How is everyone else doing?

Hope- that is very cool. My mom's family came over to New England and founded several towns in CT at about the same time.

Rebecca

Hope, that's so great! Im glad you were able to find some things...and must say I'm amazed that you foudn anything on Ancestry! For some reason, none of the newspapers that I want are archived there. :(

I'd let my research slide for quite a while & then just 2 weeks ago I got an email that an old message from 2001 had a response. It ended up being from another of my MIL's cousins! This time it was from her grandmother's 2nd husband's side. So far I've shared the info I have, but haven't gotten anything back from her yet. I did mention earlier that several months ago I was contacted the same way by her uncle's granddaughter, didn't I? It's just so odd to me that she never kept in contact with her family & now I'm finding them from messages I posted years ago! LOL

I was shocked to find newspaper records too. But it's so funny, reading this stuff. Apparently, this community was quite the gossip capital. There is a gossip column, and all sorts of stuff like "so and so is in town visiting so and so" or "Mr & Mrs are visiting from nearby city to attend the fair."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter