Gastritis

The Wise One

Mouseketeer
FYI: This is NOT a thread seeking medical advice. I am seeing a gastroenterologist and have a diagnosis.

I'm just wondering if anyone else suffers from chronic gastritis? A few months ago I started having the most horrible pain I have ever felt in my abdomen. It started over the area where the spleen is and spread all the way to my lower left pelvic region and from my esophagus down to my belly button. I had several ER visits while waiting to see a GI doctor. I was given pain meds, car agate, antibiotics, anything you can think of. The pain would come and go but was mostly constant just the pain would be more dull then flare up worse again at times. I finally had an upper endoscopy and colonoscopy and afterward I was told they only found some gastritis and a mild hiatal hernia. The GI doctor basically said continue to take Nexium and it will go away eventually. Well I've been dealing with debilitating nausea daily for about 3 months now. At least the abdominal pain has subsided, but NOTHING even begins to soothe my nausea. I've been given promethazine and ondasteron and they didn't help one bit.

So my question is does anyone have any experience with anything like this? Was there anything you did that helped? My doctors are acting as if it's normal that recovery is taking this long so I'm not too worried that anything is seriously wrong but I would like to feel better! We're going on 2 vacations this summer and would like to not spend them in bed while everyone else has fun. I'm only 26 and do have hypothyroidism but other than hat I'd like to go back to living a fairly normal life! Any advice would be appreciated.

Have you tried tracking to see if it's worse after you eat specific things? Personally, that's where I'd start even if the gastroenterologist did blood tests to rule out Celiac's/other common food causes for gastritis. It's possible to have food triggers that don't show up on tests.

Have you tried tracking to see if it's worse after you eat specific things? Personally, that's where I'd start even if the gastroenterologist did blood tests to rule out Celiac's/other common food causes for gastritis. It's possible to have food triggers that don't show up on tests.

I haven't paid attention to specific foods but it does seem as if I get more nauseous after eating however if I go too long without eating I also get nauseous. Double edged sword I guess. I've been trying to eat less carny foods and attempting to eat "easier to digest" things. I haven't noticed much of a difference other than losing a bit of weight honestly.

First of all, I'm sorry you're hurting. :(

I had a spell of intense nausea/pain that lasted months several years ago. I went to one GI who insisted it was my gall bladder even though it was fine by all tests that were ran. I got a second opinion ;) and ended up on a mega dose of Prilosec daily for weeks. (this was back when it was a RX.) It eventually worked, thankfully. Now, I don't know if gastritis was my diagnosis, but it sounds like what you described. I know it wasn't just acid reflux though.

I would certainly try the blandest diet I could. Not fun I know, but it would help to see if that is maybe a trigger. And yes, a food diary!

Anyway, I really hope you get some relief soon. Nausea is the pits. :(

Maybe ask your doc if you can try the Nexium twice a day for a little while. I take it once a day but before this I tried Prilosec and protonix. At first once a day and then twice. None of that worked until the Nexium. There have been a few times I have taken a second dose in the afternoon. That seems to work for me. And I eat/drink whatever I want now.

Thanks for the sympathy. :)

I'm seeing my doctor again tomorrow so I will ask about upping the dose on my Nexium or trying a PPI that can be taken twice daily. I haven't noticed any reflux at all since I've started taking the medication, but I suppose I could still have lots of acid in my stomach that causes the nausea/discomfort. I'm keeping track of everything I eat on MyFitnessPal (which has the added benefit of tracking my calories, never knew how bad some "good" foods were!). I'm noticing when I eat more "roughage" such as leafy greens and super watery fruits (such as watermelon) I feel better where as when I eat more meat (especially beef) I feel worse. So I'm thinking I need to reduce the fat in my diet some. I'll keep track of it long term and see if I start feeling better overall afterward. Thanks for the help everyone. :)

Did you have your gall bladder/liver checked? If the key is fat, then you may not be making enough bile or your gall bladder may be having issues. The pain can radiate from the gall bladder to other areas of your body, and the undigested fat can cause a lot of gas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!