Gardening with the Kids

Rafiki Rafiki Rafiki

<font color=peach>I took matters into my own hands
Is anyone interested in starting a kids' gardening club here?

My daughter loves planting things and watching them grow. I think we'll start an inexpensive flower garden in the back yard, just for her. We could make a sign that says "Sarah's Garden" and put some painted rock markers in there. She could be charged with watering her plants. I remember gardening with my mother as a fond memory of my childhood.

Anyone want to do this and share progress with the garden?

Sunflower playhouses are fun. you simply plant the sunflowers in a square, leaving out the door area. Plant morning glories which become the roof when you train them to grow that way.
Teepees can be made with vining bean plants. Make a teepee using bamboo and train the beans to climb them.

My daughter (she's 5 1/2) and I have so much fun gardening. I also have fond memories of gardening with both my mother and my grandmother. I'm glad I can pass my love for gardening on to my daughter.

Although it's very early in Wisconsin for the gardening season, it was 80-90 degrees last weekend, so we started a few things early. We moved into a new house, and are eager to start work outside! On a hilly area in the back, we planted cantaloupe, squash, and pumpkin. Then we planted sunflower seeds in pockets all around the yard. (The packets were 10 cents each, so if frost does kill them, we'll just re-plant.)

My daughter's begun a strong aversion to bugs and worms this year, so I was the digger and planter if anything moved in the dirt.

:rolleyes:

The sunflower house idea sounds fun -- we might try that yet!

Please Explain....

So you plant the sunflowers in a square pattern leaving an opening for the door. Then where do you plant the morning glory? Between the sunflowers? Also, could you use moon flower instead of or along with the morning glory? I just bought seed packets for morning glory and moon flower and am looking forward to trying them out.

The sunflower house sounds like fun! Any specific variety to recommend?

PS. This is a great idea thread!

Kids gardening club sounds great. My son Dorian loves to plant and DIG...lol We just planted pansy and he has a little rock garden in a triangle area in front of our house. I bought him sunflowers he can't wait to plant.

I can't belive I just found this board:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter