FYI RE: "Double Dipping"

Not all "costs" are dollars paid out. There's a very common concept used in financial analysis and economics called opportunity cost.

The potential opportunity cost is EXACTLy why I'm opting out. If I'm a person with no problems--awesome. But the problems that people are reporting seem to follow no rhyme or reason, and pop up unexpectedly. The ability to book three attractions ahead of time just isn't enough incentive for me to want to link my park tickets to those little bands. IF there is a problem, it could cost me hours per day. I don't have the patience to deal with that. I don't want to have to go to GR every day, or visit the conceirge every day, or get delayed going into the parks every day.

Poohsmommi said:
I''ve been to WDW more times than I can possibly count, and it's just not a big deal if we have to wait in line.

I have been following a lot of FP threads but have not commented until now but this comment is one of the reasons why I think theres such a difference of opinions on this issue. If I had been "more times than I can possibly count", i would also not mind if I had to waste valuable park time to deal with MB issues or risk having all my FP+ selections erased or times randomly changed(as others have reported). It would be a risk worth taking because chances are I have already had the opportunity to ride every ride mulitiple times and would know I will have other trips to ride them again but for those of us who are rarely able to visit and could possibly be visiting for the first and/or last time, each and every hour counts. Why would we be willing to risk giving up hours or even minutes of our precious vacation time to test a system that has so many reported issues without knowing we can have a back up plan in case we have problems?

For those that say people like me can "opt out"..please tell me how to do that. I would love to know that I have that option if I decide particpating isnt worth the hassle but I can't seem to find the "opt out" button. When Magic bands appeared on my MDE I had the option to select colors or get grey ones. Nowhere did I see an option to get only a KTTW without a Magic band. Yes, I do have the option to not select FP+ times but if recent reports are correct and some guests have already been unable to get paper FP's with their KTTW cards then not selecting FP+ options could leave me with no FPs at all so it seems to me that at this point "opting out" would run the risk of getting me 12 grey bands and no FPs. The letter I recieved does say "dont worry if you decide not to participate" but it does not tell me what I need to do to opt out. At this point Im not sure if I want to test but I would love to know how to opt out in case we decide to make that choice...

I have been following a lot of FP threads but have not commented until now but this comment is one of the reasons why I think theres such a difference of opinions on this issue. If I had been "more times than I can possibly count", i would also not mind if I had to waste valuable park time to deal with MB issues or risk having all my FP+ selections erased or times randomly changed(as others have reported). It would be a risk worth taking because chances are I have already had the opportunity to ride every ride mulitiple times and would know I will have other trips to ride them again but for those of us who are rarely able to visit and could possibly be visiting for the first and/or last time, each and every hour counts. Why would we be willing to risk giving up hours or even minutes of our precious vacation time to test a system that has so many reported issues without knowing we can have a back up plan in case we have problems?

For those that say people like me can "opt out"..please tell me how to do that. I would love to know that I have that option if I decide particpating isnt worth the hassle but I can't seem to find the "opt out" button. When Magic bands appeared on my MDE I had the option to select colors or get grey ones. Nowhere did I see an option to get only a KTTW without a Magic band. Yes, I do have the option to not select FP+ times but if recent reports are correct and some guests have already been unable to get paper FP's with their KTTW cards then not selecting FP+ options could leave me with no FPs at all so it seems to me that at this point "opting out" would run the risk of getting me 12 grey bands and no FPs. The letter I recieved does say "dont worry if you decide not to participate" but it does not tell me what I need to do to opt out. At this point Im not sure if I want to test but I would love to know how to opt out in case we decide to make that choice...

I'm pretty sure that you have to "opt in" if you want to participate. So by doing nothing, you are "opting out".

I completely agree with you. If this is your "once in a lifetime" trip, or if you don't go often, I can totally understand wanting to use the regular FP system and not have any issues. I'm not sure if you can opt out though. It seems like almost all of the resorts are doing this now. I'm not sure .... maybe someone who knows for sure can answer that.

Reddog1134 said:
I'm pretty sure that you have to "opt in" if you want to participate. So by doing nothing, you are "opting out".

Does that mean that its too late for me to opt out since I have already gotten magic bands?

I customized them because I didnt want to risk getting all grey ones for our party of 12. If Im stuck testing now, I can live with that and still have a great time but I'd just like to know what, if any options I have.

Does that mean that its too late for me to opt out since I have already gotten magic bands?

I customized them because I didnt want to risk getting all grey ones for our party of 12. If Im stuck testing now, I can live with that and still have a great time but I'd just like to know what, if any options I have.

You could try to call and ask to be removed but I'm not sure that's necessary.

As long as you have a park ticket and room key card, you should be able to go about your vacation as if you don't even have Magic Bands.

Poohsmommi said:
I completely agree with you. If this is your "once in a lifetime" trip, or if you don't go often, I can totally understand wanting to use the regular FP system and not have any issues. I'm not sure if you can opt out though. It seems like almost all of the resorts are doing this now. I'm not sure .... maybe someone who knows for sure can answer that.

Thank you for understanding. This will be the 3rd trip for my family and I do hope it wont be the last but Im sure it will be several years before we can schedule our next trip. We are traveling with another family this time and this is not only their first Disney trip but its their 1st ever family vacation. I have planned the entire trip for all of us and it was my decision to "opt in" so I guess Im a little worried that my decision might have been a mistake and they wont be able to enjoy the parks as much as they could have using FP-.

As long as you have a park ticket and room key card, you should be able to go about your vacation as if you don't even have Magic Bands.

So...if I customize Magic Bands and do not link my tickets from Undercover Tourist, I can still use fp-? At least as it stands right now?

Thank you for understanding. This will be the 3rd trip for my family and I do hope it wont be the last but Im sure it will be several years before we can schedule our next trip. We are traveling with another family this time and this is not only their first Disney trip but its their 1st ever family vacation. I have planned the entire trip for all of us and it was my decision to "opt in" so I guess Im a little worried that my decision might have been a mistake and they wont be able to enjoy the parks as much as they could have using FP-.

I'm sure it will be fine. I go before you ... I'll be sure to post my experience when I get back. From what I understand, if you don't reserve any FP+, then you should have no problem using the regular FP system. Also, you can log on to your account on the WDW website and deactivate your magic bands if you don't want to use them (i just found this out by doing a google search).

Reddog1134 said:

Im going to call in the next day or two to make sure my room requests are still listed so I might ask about it then. I assume the phone CM wont be much help so I'll probably have to call IT.

We have a package so we will only have our bands and KTTW(assuming they are still giving those when we get there). I have no problem leaving our bands behind and only using the KTTW if necessary but I am concerned after reading several reports about KTTW no longer working to pull regular FPs. Id rather have 3 FP+ than nothing at all so im afraid that if I dont select them now, I could be stuck trying to find available times after I get there. Im happy with the old system and I think I can adjust to the new one easily. I think my stress is coming from so many unknowns. Im sure I wont truely have answers until I arrive. Its just hard to make a decision without having all the facts. Thank you for your help...

Im going to call in the next day or two to make sure my room requests are still listed so I might ask about it then. I assume the phone CM wont be much help so I'll probably have to call IT.

We have a package so we will only have our bands and KTTW(assuming they are still giving those when we get there). I have no problem leaving our bands behind and only using the KTTW if necessary but I am concerned after reading several reports about KTTW no longer working to pull regular FPs. Id rather have 3 FP+ than nothing at all so im afraid that if I dont select them now, I could be stuck trying to find available times after I get there. Im happy with the old system and I think I can adjust to the new one easily. I think my stress is coming from so many unknowns. Im sure I wont truely have answers until I arrive. Its just hard to make a decision without having all the facts. Thank you for your help...

I totally agree. I don't like the unknowns. I too, think I'd rather just have the regular FPs since we are big park hoppers. And I am having a very hard time knowing how to tour and having to pick which park to get FPs at. I've already done all my dining ADRs and it's too late to NOT park hop at this point.

Poohsmommi said:
I'm sure it will be fine. I go before you ... I'll be sure to post my experience when I get back. From what I understand, if you don't reserve any FP+, then you should have no problem using the regular FP system. Also, you can log on to your account on the WDW website and deactivate your magic bands if you don't want to use them (i just found this out by doing a google search).

When is your trip?
Ill be looking for your report...

I wish I knew IF I wanted to use them. It would make things much easier if I knew what I wanted to do..lol
I probably dont have a choice anymore though because my kids have already seen/tried on their bands. They love them and I think they would prefer waiting in an hour long line with a pretty band on to standing in a 10 minute FP line holding a card...lol

When is your trip?
Ill be looking for your report...

I wish I knew IF I wanted to use them. It would make things much easier if I knew what I wanted to do..lol
I probably dont have a choice anymore though because my kids have already seen/tried on their bands. They love them and I think they would prefer waiting in an hour long line with a pretty band on to standing in a 10 minute FP line holding a card...lol

Also, I think it's required with a package. Plus - if the kids saw them, you might as well forget it now LOL My "kid" is 16, and she is insisting on using the MB LOL We go on October 9 - 15.

I don't think that is the case with the October testers. My understanding is that those that did not "opt in", have been receiving they grey magic bands anyway and are in the system. (I think the September guests only got the bands if they actually opted in). I think for October, you might as well customize and pick FP+, because you are in--- however, the way you "opt out" is that you will be issued a KTTW card at WDW. If you don't want to be part of the testing for October, you just use the card and not the bands. I think deactivating the band on the app/website refers primarily to deactivating the credit card and park ticket functions and is what you are supposed to do if a band is lost.

I have not seen the reports of guests not being able to get paper FPs with their KTTW cards, but I would also be concerned that if no FP+ were booked with the bands that that would leave us without any FPs. I would rather book the FP+ to be safe and hope that we can use the old system as well. If seen people posting about using both as recently this week, so I think there may be some glitchy KTTW cards out there? I know there was one time a couple years back when we got a KTTW card that would not work in the FP machines, and we wound up getting a new card issued.

Ariel on Land said:
I totally agree. I don't like the unknowns. I too, think I'd rather just have the regular FPs since we are big park hoppers. And I am having a very hard time knowing how to tour and having to pick which park to get FPs at. I've already done all my dining ADRs and it's too late to NOT park hop at this point.

I do not envy those of you with park hoppers at all this time. We never get them due to cost and travel time between parks but usually I am a bit jealous of park hopper peeps when trying to make my ADRs. This is the one time I am very thankful we dont have them. Im having enough trouble planning one park per day with the new system so I couldnt imagine trying to hop. I do hope Disney changes the one park per day rule for those who hop. Seems like they are hurting those who spend more money...
I wish you lots of luck with making FP+ and hoppers work together. Im sure it can be done and you will have a great trip!!!

If seen people posting about using both as recently this week, so I think there may be some glitchy KTTW cards out there? I know there was one time a couple years back when we got a KTTW card that would not work in the FP machines, and we wound up getting a new card issued.

This is what I was hoping when I read that some MB folks' KTTW cards were rejected at AK - that is was a glitch. We are park hoppers and wanted to get FPs at other parks, if possible - just like we have always done. I am not sure what to expect. I definitely don't want to lose park time by standing in Guest Relations. That being said, I will be forever happy that I am at Disney!!

Poohsmommi said:
Also, I think it's required with a package. Plus - if the kids saw them, you might as well forget it now LOL My "kid" is 16, and she is insisting on using the MB LOL We go on October 9 - 15.

My 3 yr old DD already wants to wear hers daily. Even my 18 yr old "kid" seemed excited about the bands and nothing really excites him anymore...lol

Wow..your trip is close. Have a great time. I will be looking for your reports. We are leaving on the 12th to drive from Indiana. We check into a house in Rolling Hills on the 13th but we will be visiting US/IOA that week. We check into Pop for our Disney week on the 18th. This is the longest trip weve taken so Im excited whether we get MBs, KTTW, FP+ or FP-. As long as there are rides, parades, fireworks and a giant mouse...Im on board.

ktlm said:
I don't think that is the case with the October testers. My understanding is that those that did not "opt in", have been receiving they grey magic bands anyway and are in the system. (I think the September guests only got the bands if they actually opted in). I think for October, you might as well customize and pick FP+, because you are in--- however, the way you "opt out" is that you will be issued a KTTW card at WDW. If you don't want to be part of the testing for October, you just use the card and not the bands. I think deactivating the band on the app/website refers primarily to deactivating the credit card and park ticket functions and is what you are supposed to do if a band is lost.

I have not seen the reports of guests not being able to get paper FPs with their KTTW cards, but I would also be concerned that if no FP+ were booked with the bands that that would leave us without any FPs. I would rather book the FP+ to be safe and hope that we can use the old system as well. If seen people posting about using both as recently this week, so I think there may be some glitchy KTTW cards out there? I know there was one time a couple years back when we got a KTTW card that would not work in the FP machines, and we wound up getting a new card issued.

This was my impression too. Us Oct people are automatically "in" although the letter I got states "But don't worry, if you decide not to participate in this test, you will still enjoy a great Walt Disney World visit". What it doesnt say is if we will still be able to use the old fast pass system instead or in addition to FP+. Sure, I can chose to leave my band in the room and not book FP+ but that doesnt mean I will get to use legacy FP. Telling me that I will still enjoy my vacation is not really enough info to make an informed decision IMO.

The reports from guests who werent able to pull paper fastpasses have mainly been in the last day or two(longer for AK). It could just be a glitch but it does have me worried that they have cut FP- access to those with MBs. I really hope thats not the case but I do think it might be better to go ahead and book FP+ just in case.

mickeysmith said:
This is what I was hoping when I read that some MB folks' KTTW cards were rejected at AK - that is was a glitch. We are park hoppers and wanted to get FPs at other parks, if possible - just like we have always done. I am not sure what to expect. I definitely don't want to lose park time by standing in Guest Relations. That being said, I will be forever happy that I am at Disney!!

I wasnt too worried when I saw reports about AK because I could deal with only 3 or even no FPs there if I have to but when I started seeing reports about other parks, I did get worried...

We just got back Saturday. I was very disappointed to not be included in the testing. However, we never even had to think about using a Fastpass. My kids were on a ride for a second, third, fourth, ect time as soon as they could weave their way back. There was no lines for anything. They rode Rock n' Roller Coaster 5x in a row and then Tower 2x in about an hour. I just waved as they ran past me! lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter