FYI - Heating bill

I keep the temperature at a constant 62 degrees. Sure, it is cold and we wear layers and use blankets, but it means we can afford to pay our bill. You should give it a try. Only use what you can afford.

Shut offs are a matter of state law, so no one here has the ability to post absolutes on the subject that will apply every time the topic comes up. In my state, gas companies couldn't shut off in the winter for many years but they can now, due to a change in the law as it applies to heat providers. There is a payment plan that will avoid shut off but it requires 10% down and 7% of the annual bill paid per month (so no real "discount" or deferral) and if you're late once you'll not only be shut off, you can't re-enter into another arrangement for a fixed period of time.

And I was surprised how little help is actually out there for preventing shut off. I was helping a neighbor research her options and most of the options I thought were there to help people are turning down applicants who can't prove ability to pay future bills, so they're helping the chronically overextended but not people like my neighbor who was trying to get by after a job loss.

I think I missed a thread somewhere, though, because I'm not seeing where the cable bill comes in... ;)

The Gas company CAN and WILL disconnect the services if the heating bill is past due more than 60 days (doesn't matter the amount....any from $50 - $350 - 3,500.)

The law states that they cannot if the tempurated is lower than freezing 35degrees for 24+ hours, then once the temp rises, then they can do the disconnect.

Just an FYI, because many around here are under the belief that the heat cannot be turned off during the winter and that is simply NOT true.

Sounds like you have first hand knowledge:rolleyes1

Does this mean you had no gas to cook the Birthday boy's meal?

It amazes me that I know more about your financial affairs than any of the real people in my life:sad2:

FYI: my gas bill is set up on equal monthly payments througout the year, so it is not my gas bill I am speaking of.
It is a co-worker, and people at work assumed that heat cannot be turned off. At least here in NC, they assumed incorrectly.

The co-worker is not from my retail job, but from my teaching ...where they are paid monthly.

Oh, and no smart phones or iphones here. I probably have one of the oldest cell phones of all the poster here. LOL! Never found the need to have the newest phones.

I just looked at Alaska on the link, and there is no temperature or date based deferment. I can't imagine that in a place like Fairbanks. :scared1: There must be a strong charity backup in place or something, because no heat at -40 would freeze pipes and could be deadly.

FYI: my gas bill is set up on equal monthly payments througout the year, so it is not my gas bill I am speaking of.
It is a co-worker, and people at work assumed that heat cannot be turned off. At least here in NC, they assumed incorrectly.

The co-worker is not from my retail job, but from my teaching ...where they are paid monthly.

Oh, and no smart phones or iphones here. I probably have one of the oldest cell phones of all the poster here. LOL! Never found the need to have the newest phones.

Well, people who are paid monthly should also be able to budget to pay their bills.

You never felt the need for the newest phone, or is it just that you haven't gotten around to begging for it yet?

And these are the people who are entrusted with the education of our next generation of leaders. :rolleyes:

Whether you get paid by the week or by the month, you still have a responsibility to pay your bills. It's not brain surgery and people from all walks of life manage to do it.

You never felt the need for the newest phone, or is it just that you haven't gotten around to begging for it yet?

Can I just say WOW!!! I've read some pretty mean things on this board but this takes the cake. Not to mention it's a personal attack. I am reporting your post and I hope that other people will join me. I hope that maybe your just having a bad day and are not as mean to people in your everyday life.

Can I just say WOW!!! I've read some pretty mean things on this board but this takes the cake. Not to mention it's a personal attack. I am reporting your post and I hope that other people will join me. I hope that maybe your just having a bad day and are not as mean to people in your everyday life.

If you knew OP's posting history you would understand the responses in this thread.

Actually, since you are kinda new according to your post count you haven't witnessed some of the things we have here and we are on to the ways of certain posters.

Well, I hope noone's heat is turned off, but I think Dave Ramsey's Four Walls approach is worthy of mention.

Pay for housing, utilities, etc....first.

Extras are just that, EXTRAS.....cell phones, TV service, eating out, vacations.....if you can't afford them you can't afford them. There is no such thing as "I deserve this" and using that to spend more than you make or can afford.

:teacher:

Actually, since you are kinda new according to your post count you haven't witnessed some of the things we have here and we are on to the ways of certain posters.

I'm not new, I've been a proud member since 2004, but I am a lurker. I come here to read info on budgeting and to help plan my trips since the Dis always has the newest info. :goodvibes I don't keep up with certain posters, so no I don't know posting history of others but does it really matter? Is it really an excuse to be mean and hateful to others? I know people who are behind in there bills do I say well you should know better, no I don't I give them ideas on how to budget better, how to cut out there extras and how to do better next month. What good does it do to make someone feel worse than they already do?

I'm not new, I've been a proud member since 2004, but I am a lurker. I come here to read info on budgeting and to help plan my trips since the Dis always has the newest info. :goodvibes I don't keep up with certain posters, so no I don't know posting history of others but does it really matter? Is it really an excuse to be mean and hateful to others? I know people who are behind in there bills do I say well you should know better, no I don't I give them ideas on how to budget better, how to cut out there extras and how to do better next month. What good does it do to make someone feel worse than they already do?

Feel worse? Please, since you don't know the "history," take my word for it. I doubt anybody will feel worse at all. Likely, there will be yet another sob story trying to get somebody to hit that Personal Message button to help her out next month. So what good does it do? It might keep those who don't know the history from handing over their cash --- or their American Girl dolls.

It starts to seem like the DIS version of the professional begger on the street corner who makes $80k a year panhandling.

Unfortunately in online communities (not just this one, but others I belong to as well) there are scammers. After awhile people get wise to them and they either ignore them or make comments. There are people who are generous and fall for their tales of woe only to realize later they'd been had. It bears repeating every so often that this is the internet and while there are quite a few folks who do truly need help there are those who make a living from scamming people. It's best to be weary no matter the forum.

History is your friend. Look up prior threads involving AG dolls, Honeybaked Hams, band trips to New York, broken oven, no propane, cats spilling laundry detergent, getting rid of Directv but needing HD, these are just a few. The posts are needy without outright asking for whatever the subject is. The story changes, the need is always there and somehow people feel the need to attack those of us trying to warn the unsuspecting posters who fall for these sob stories.

It starts to seem like the DIS version of the professional begger on the street corner who makes $80k a year panhandling.

When you see people panhandling on the street, do you go up to them and demand to know how and where they spent their money so you can question their motives? Or do you just ignore them?

If you don't like people begging, just ignore them. If everyone ignores them, they'll move on to greener pastures. If someone wants to help that person, that really isn't anyone's business but their own.

One of the quotes I remember most from a Disney movie is the classic from Bambi, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." It's proven to be wise words through most of my life - I think it applies even more to the Internet, where we have a tendency to say and do things we might not say and do if we were face to face with someone.

When you see people panhandling on the street, do you go up to them and demand to know how and where they spent their money so you can question their motives? Or do you just ignore them?

If you don't like people begging, just ignore them. If everyone ignores them, they'll move on to greener pastures. If someone wants to help that person, that really isn't anyone's business but their own.

One of the quotes I remember most from a Disney movie is the classic from Bambi, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." It's proven to be wise words through most of my life - I think it applies even more to the Internet, where we have a tendency to say and do things we might not say and do if we were face to face with someone.

When I see people panhandling on the street I do tell my children (and others who might need to know) that it is best not to give money to these people directly but there are several organizations around that will properly investigate need and help.

So maybe we can mention that in this thread. If you can't pay your heating bill, one of the best things you can do (in addition to cancelling Direct TV) is contact one of your local organizations which offer heating assistance.

Otherwise, I'm sure she appreciates your monetary donation to her family cause - well, unless you sent her the wrong American Girl doll, in which case she'll have to sell it and buy her daughter something better. They are such good kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter