Furious - need some clarity

FlyingDumbo

DIS Veteran
On Monday I came out of work to the parking lot to find my suv (a year old) smashed to pieces. I was parked on an end and someone cornered too fast, they took out the whole passenger side, and the back end is damaged and bumper on the ground. It was a pretty good smash. My car was pushed out of the spot and up against the car next to it which was also damaged. Security came and took a report, I called the police they took a report, and my car was towed. So the last 2 days have been filled with calling insurance, getting a rental, lots of hassle. Trying to figure out how to come up with the deductible. I am also pregnant which I mention only because I think the hormones are making me angrier.

Yesterday afternoon security contacted me to tell me they viewed the security camera and have the plate of the person who did it. It is someone that works for my facility. On the video she came flying around the corner, took out my car, pulled over to look at HER car then got back in and drove to the far side of the lot to park then went in to work. Her car is damaged, but not too bad since its a very heavy Mercedes Benz. She is a Doctor. Security reported it to HR, I called the police to report it to them. My facility asked me not to report it to the police until they spoke with her, I did anyway because I am ANGRY.

So anyway, now this doctor is begging me to "not get her fired" and claiming HR said it was up to me. She followed me out to the parking lot last night. She actually told me she doesn't want her kids to starve. A doctor, who did a hit and run in a MERCEDES actually used that line on me. HR has not said anything to me at all. Doctor claims she was going to confess but was just too busy. (rigggghhht). Not sure what the police did last night if anything but I know they went to her house and took a report. I also have no idea who the other damaged car belonged to or what their take on the situation is. I am off today and trying to chill out.

I want her fired. I want her fired YESTERDAY. I saw the video, there was no remorse, no care for the fact that other peoples property had been damaged. All she cared about was her car. There is zero doubt in my mind that she was never going to confess ever. I also don't think she is going to get fired after all she is a doctor and I am just a peon. HR seemed to want to sweep it under the rug as soon as they found out who she was. So I guess it doesn't matter what I want.

Am I just filled with hormones and are they clouding my judgement? I have ZERO sympathy for this woman I am pretty angry.

On Monday I came out of work to the parking lot to find my suv (a year old) smashed to pieces. I was parked on an end and someone cornered too fast, they took out the whole passenger side, and the back end is damaged and bumper on the ground. It was a pretty good smash. My car was pushed out of the spot and up against the car next to it which was also damaged. Security came and took a report, I called the police they took a report, and my car was towed. So the last 2 days have been filled with calling insurance, getting a rental, lots of hassle. Trying to figure out how to come up with the deductible. I am also pregnant which I mention only because I think the hormones are making me angrier.

Yesterday afternoon security contacted me to tell me they viewed the security camera and have the plate of the person who did it. It is someone that works for my facility. On the video she came flying around the corner, took out my car, pulled over to look at HER car then got back in and drove to the far side of the lot to park then went in to work. Her car is damaged, but not too bad since its a very heavy Mercedes Benz. She is a Doctor. Security reported it to HR, I called the police to report it to them. My facility asked me not to report it to the police until they spoke with her, I did anyway because I am ANGRY.

So anyway, now this doctor is begging me to "not get her fired" and claiming HR said it was up to me. She followed me out to the parking lot last night. She actually told me she doesn't want her kids to starve. A doctor, who did a hit and run in a MERCEDES actually used that line on me. HR has not said anything to me at all. Doctor claims she was going to confess but was just too busy. (rigggghhht). Not sure what the police did last night if anything but I know they went to her house and took a report. I also have no idea who the other damaged car belonged to or what their take on the situation is. I am off today and trying to chill out.

I want her fired. I want her fired YESTERDAY. I saw the video, there was no remorse, no care for the fact that other peoples property had been damaged. All she cared about was her car. There is zero doubt in my mind that she was never going to confess ever. I also don't think she is going to get fired after all she is a doctor and I am just a peon. HR seemed to want to sweep it under the rug as soon as they found out who she was. So I guess it doesn't matter what I want.

Am I just filled with hormones and are they clouding my judgement? I have ZERO sympathy for this woman I am pretty angry.

Fired? Shouldn't she be arrested? Totally inexcusable. I don't blame you for being mad. Absolutely despicable. Her children will not starve. :sad2:

What a bad situation.

Hopefully she has good insurance and it will be paying to fix your car (and the other one).

You shouldn't have to have any contact with her directly. I'm sorry she came 'crying' to you. Don't see her any more. If you've given HR and the police your statement ....you've done your bit. It's up to them now.

I would be totally pissed too but I think wanting her fired is hormones talking. She needs to pay for everything including deductible, rental car and repairs without question. At this point, I would just let the police and your insurance company handle it. Try to let some of the anger go for your own good.

Get her and/or her insurance company to make you whole . . . meaning they pay for the repairs and rent you a car, and let it go. If the cops decide to go ahead and move forward, that's their decision.

I'm mad for you OP. maybe it is my pregnancy hormones. :-)

However I don't think she should be fired. This is a legal issue for the police and courts, not an employment issue. This could have happened at the grocery store or at church. That person wouldn't be banned from shopping at that store or attending church.

I don't think the employer could even legally fire her for that.

I highly doubt that HR would leave the decision to fire her up to you.

I can totally understand how angry you are, but I don't think her being fired is the answer. I think it just needs to be reported to the police and have them determine what course of action to take from a legal stand point.

Nope. I would be going off the deep end too.

My 2c... your facility was WRONG in even suggesting that you wait to contact the police. I would have expected the police to be HR's first call since there is video proof.

The person who hit you got themselves into this mess not you. If she approaches you again I would simply tell her that her "being too busy" is no excuse for breaking the law. Granted, I tend to be on the cynical side but my reaction is either she is so ridiculously self absorbed that she thinks she's above it all OR she was DUI & panicked.

Either way she had an obligation to, at the very least, leave a note on your car. Why should you be sympathetic to her when she showed absolutely no regard for you whatsoever?

Wrong is wrong & this chick is most definitely in the wrong. I would let the police decide & go from there.

Stick to your guns. Good Luck.

I think you've done your part just by reporting it. If she harrasses you, play the pregnancy card on her & mention all the stress of having to have your vehicle repaired and finding transportation during the down time of the repair. She should worry more about being sued than being fired!!

I feel I should mention that when this happened on Monday, I was told by HR that if it was an employee then it would be punishable by "termination" and was a "code of conduct" violation. We assumed it was an employee since it happened in the employee parking lot. They did not mention to me that there were security cameras which I had not paid much attention to before. Now they are pretty obvious (doh) I 100% feel that if I did this to HER car I'd have been canned immediately, I think she is getting handled with kid gloves because of her title. When this happened on Monday I was not furious, I was crying. It was not until I saw the video and how callous she was that I got so angry.

I would be livid (and I'm no where near pregnant).

I'm not quite sure what I would do. If you didn't work with the woman, it would be so cut and dry, but since you do...

I just don't know. I'm eager to see what others suggest.

So sorry this happened. :grouphug:

I feel I should mention that when this happened on Monday, I was told by HR that if it was an employee then it would be punishable by "termination" and was a "code of conduct" violation. We assumed it was an employee since it happened in the employee parking lot. They did not mention to me that there were security cameras which I had not paid much attention to before. Now they are pretty obvious (doh) I 100% feel that if I did this to HER car I'd have been canned immediately, I think she is getting handled with kid gloves because of her title.

Ok, I'd definitely pursue it then.

I feel I should mention that when this happened on Monday, I was told by HR that if it was an employee then it would be punishable by "termination" and was a "code of conduct" violation. We assumed it was an employee since it happened in the employee parking lot. They did not mention to me that there were security cameras which I had not paid much attention to before. Now they are pretty obvious (doh) I 100% feel that if I did this to HER car I'd have been canned immediately, I think she is getting handled with kid gloves because of her title.

If they told you that, then I 100% think she should be fired. They should not have told you that if they didn't intend to follow through.

Fired? Shouldn't she be arrested? Totally inexcusable. I don't blame you for being mad. Absolutely despicable. Her children will not starve. :sad2:

Inexcusable, yes.
Despicable yes.
But a civil case since it happened on private property and there were no injuries, so no grounds to arrest her. I'd leave any firing decision up to the company, but that certainly sounds like a firing offense.

Just curious, what did your insurance company say when you told them them the facts about the video, HR, being followed, and the police report?

I am really bummed about my car. I drive cars until the wheels fall off, and it is the first "new" car I have had in 15 years. Sure they can fix it, but it is not going to be like it was. We are still waiting to hear how bad the damage is and how much the estimate is.

What did your insurance company say when you told them the complete straight facts about the HR as well as the video? What do they recommend you do next, if anything?

My husband is dealing with them, but they told us to file a police report and to get the doctors insurance information and to let them (our insurance) handle the claim and then they will go after her insurance.

Wow! So she did a hit and run and got caught. Now she is worried. She should have been more concerned about her reputation at the time of the incident and made a report. That shows poor character on her part as a whole. I would not even want to see her as a patient. You have every right to be upset that anyone would try to do that to you. Especially someone who is supposed to have high character in a community. She would not feel sorry for you if the tables were turned. Sorry this happened to you. File your report and claim and don't be clouded by sob stories. A hit and run is a crime. Best of luck!

Inexcusable, yes.
Despicable yes.
But a civil case since it happened on private property and there were no injuries, so no grounds to arrest her. I'd leave any firing decision up to the company, but that certainly sounds like a firing offense.

In many states leaving the scene of an accident warrants criminal penalties.

Oh wow OP..I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this especially while pregnant. My advice is to take a deep breath..wait and see what happens. If she approaches you, I would not talk to her. With all the emotion involved it could get ugly and you do not need the stress. I would think that as long as your car gets fixed and you are not out any expenses, I would just let HR/police handle it.

Years ago, I was in the car with my then 3 year old son. My husband parked and went into the bank. All of a sudden, I felt a huge bang. Some idiot in a hummer tried to park next to us and when he hit my van, he just kept going. Gouging a huge dent in the side. He then realized and pulled out to drive away. Some woman saw thew whole thing and blocked him with her car, while I jumped out of my car. He starts in about the law etc.... and then my DH came back and he started trying to bs him. My DH is a cop so it didn't work. He paid for repairs and we agreed to not call the cops. Some people are just unbelievable!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter