Fun with Dick and Kaz - A Cruisin' Trip Report... COMPLETED

Another wonderful day. I soooooo want to do a cruise vow renewal now!!! Just have to sell the idea to DH

And so it was over. Almost. We awoke at 7am and reluctantly rolled out of bed. Immediately, there was a knock at the door and our early morning coffee, orange juice and toast arrived. Silently we showered, dressed and packed up the last of our stuff before enjoying a final half-glass of Bucks Fizz. We looked around the gorgeous room for one last time...

IMGP1017-1.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

...before gathering up our impressive array of hand luggage and leaving the suite...

As we were loaded like pack animals, we opted to take the elevator for once and soon arrived in the Lobby where it seemed as every passenger had decided to gather at exactly the same time! It looked a little daunting but actually embarking was a breeze and we were soon making our way down the ramp to the Customs Hall. Now last night at dinner, Eva had passed on a tip about using a porter as this would speed up the Customs process and her advice was spot on! With the help of a friendly porter we were soon through customs and loading our luggage in hire car. Moments later, we were singing along to a half-remembered classic from 1981 on WMMO (Jesse's Girl by Rick Springfield) and heading back towards Orlando. We made Florida Mall our first stop but unfortunately it didn't open until 10am so we decided to get a proper breakfast at IHOP! This was our first visit to the International House of Pancakes and I'm absolutely confident, 100% sure and extremely certain that it positively, definitely won't be our last... Yum, yum, YUM... Anyway we headed back to FM and parked up. I had two agendas - one enormous piece of luggage, preferably Kipling, and as many Yankee Candle tarts as my little arms could carry!

We passed through the Mall like locusts only pausing when we bumped into......Bob and Penny! Yay! I can't tell you how delighted we were to see our former tablemates - after the downer of leaving the Magic, it was just so uplifting! And having made our purchases we headed for the airport still buoyant from our unexpected rendezvous... Picking up the card key for our day room at the Hyatt went smoothly and we used our time there to freshen up and re-pack the luggage more sensibly. The newly purchased extra large black Kipling duffle swallowed everything we threw in it and we were able to check-in at Virgin's MCO desk with plenty of time to spare. A swift survey of the shops seemed in order and in the Disney Store my delightful DH presented me with a Pirate Mickey as a memento of our unbelievable trip - thank you, Richard!

Time now to retreat to the Delta lounge and grab ourselves a well-earned drink. Or two. This was our first time here and I gotta tell you, we were impressed! The lounge is spacious, elegant and well serviced. The food options that we enjoy at the Virgin Clubhouse weren't available but despite that we had a fine time chilling and reviewing the past week. Before long, our gate was called and we boarded the plane feeling reluctant to go home but relaxed about the journey. This time we were seated in the coveted 6A/C - hurrah!!! The procedure was the same as our outward journey - drink champagne cocktails, eat a very nice meal and bed down on the comfortable flat bed for a few hours sleep...

...before arriving at London Gatwick to leaden grey south eastern skies and congestion on the M25! Suddenly our Caribbean cruise seemed more dream than reality and we drove the half hour journey in near silence. We arrived at our home and pulled into the drive with a sigh. As we'd both left our house keys behind, I rang the doorbell and crossed my fingers that would be sufficient to raise one of kids to open up the front door. Huddling in the porch in an attempt to keep out of the drizzle, the Magic seemed rather long ago and very far away. Eventually, Sophie opened the door and we were inside, staring at the familiar surroundings we'd left behind just over a week ago. Despite the fact that she'd been rudely awoken by our insistent bell ringing, Sophie was touchingly eager to hear all about the trip and so, hesitantly at first, we began to talk through everything that happened during our Magical journey. Before long and after a couple of very large coffees, we were in our stride, downloading photos, laughing about our escapades and bringing the trip to back to life - for the family and, more importantly, for ourselves...

Which brings me to this trip report. Thank you, dear readers, for hanging in there, for sharing our dream vacation and for giving me a reason to commit to hard copy every memorable moment of the trip when I celebrated twenty five fabulous years with the man who will forever be the love of my life. Bless you. It's been a blast and I hope to share some good times with you again in the future. Party on...

And for those of you who asked so nicely -
Dick and Kaz Then...

2weirdkids.jpg

And Now...

dk1-1.jpg

toast.jpg

Cheers!

ive cried again now :sad2: i can't believe its finished.....i have really enjoyed your report Karen

thanks for posting the then and now pics....i would not have recognised you :)

Oh Karen, that was wonderful:love: I feel as though Ive got to the end of a really good book that I just didnt want to put down. Thank you so much for a brilliant trip report, here's to another glorious 25 years to you both xx:goodvibes

Oh Karen, I can't believe that we've come to the end of your brilliant trip report - I have really enjoyed it (especially the Cruise and vow renewal)

Thanks for sharing your special trip with us

Just one quick question - on disembarking morning, is there still no getting up at 6am and handing your passport in (as in the Summer, it was great not having to get up early)

Anyway, thanks again ;)

Karen, on Nat's recommendation, I have just read the whole thing. What a wonderful way to spend your 25th Anniversary. Sounds like you had a fabulous time. Your pictures are stunning - and may I say, you have both improved with age ;)

Hope you have many more happy years together - and looking forward to your next trip :)

A really wonderful report Karen, thank you so much, especially for the 'then' and 'now' pics.

Thankyou for a fantastic report - I a :sad1: it is all over and you made me cry too!!.

You certainly have a talent for the written word :goodvibes

Heres to the next 25 years :cool1:

Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us, Karen, I have so enjoyed reading about it. The vow renewal sounded just magical. I loved your then and now pics too.

Laur's princess:

Do you know, the pleasure's been all mine. :) If I hadn't had the opportunity to do this report, the memories would just have faded and the photos languished (like so many before them) in a box somewhere. Now I've written it all down, the trip will last forever... :cloud9:

Plus I have a cunning plan. For Richard's Christmas prezzie, I'm going to create a scrapbook of the trip using my report. I've bought a new photo printer as one of my DS's Christmas gifts (QVC had an excellent TSV last weekend!) and I'll sneakily use that before wrapping it...

Mandy: It was a shame we didn't get to meet on the May 2005 cruise! It still annoys me that I got the time/venue wrong but I'm sure we'll get together sometime - we'd better! :thumbsup2 Oh and there's still no getting up at the crack of dawn! I hope it stays that way...

Jackie: Such kind words, thank you! What really sold the VR to DH (apart from my constant heckling) was the cost! He had a party for his 40th back in 2002 and we spent way more on that than we did on this whole cruise! At the time, the basic VR package was just a $1000/£500 and for the level of service we received, you couldn't beat it... Pass the tissues, I'm off again! :sad:

Nat: Aw, hon, sorry about the tears - but hey if I'm weeping it's only fair you should too! ;) When we finally found the original photo, we didn't recognise ourselves either! DH was so skinny (19 years of being underfed by my witch of a MIL :mad: ) I'd guess he weighs just under 50% more now! :eek:

Sue: That's such a lovely thing to say! :hug: Glad you enjoyed it as much as I loved writing it...

Joh: Thanks so much for taking the time to read my self-indulgent story! And OMG haven't we improved!?! :rotfl2:

Carol: The 'then' and 'now' photos were a brilliant idea! Was it Tam who suggested that..? Anyway, as someone who is very self-critical, it was good therapy for me to see that earlier pic. If someone had told me way back then that, in 25 years time, I'd end up looking like I do on my VR photos, well, I'd have been over the moon! :thumbsup2

Laur's: You're very welcome! Happy you enjoyed it... :flower3:

Karen

Thanks so much for completing this wonderful report - and for digging out the before picture - brilliant.

Wish you both every happiness for the next 25 years. Got me thinking now what should we be planning for our 25th - only 4 years away - need to get planning!!!

Now what am I going to read in my lunch hour?

Tam

Karen

Thanks so much for completing this wonderful report - and for digging out the before picture - brilliant.

Wish you both every happiness for the next 25 years. Got me thinking now what should we be planning for our 25th - only 4 years away - need to get planning!!!

Now what am I going to read in my lunch hour?

Tam

Thanks Tam! The VR was so much fun, we're actually thinking we'd like to do it again! This time with the family and possibly in WDW. Currently it's top of our list as a bundled joint 50th birthday/30th wedding anniversary celebration in 2012... ;)

I don't want to appear presumptious, but I've now started the trip report for the vacation I recently took with DD to WDW. As you liked this one, you might enjoy that... :rolleyes1

I don't want to appear presumptious, but I've now started the trip report for the vacation I recently took with DD to WDW. As you liked this one, you might enjoy that... :rolleyes1

Sounds good, Karen, will look forward to reading that in due course :goodvibes

Laur's princess:

wonderful Karen, I have so enjoyed this, heres to many more happy years together for you

Another one owning up to damp eyes :wave2: . Your first wedding outfit looks scarily similar to the one I wore for my honeymoon with my first husband (also in 1982). Different colours, but otherwise a carbon copy :teeth:.

Thank you so so much for sharing your story and photos.

Congratulations and best wishes to you both :goodvibes

(and yep few tears shed here as well!)

What a wonderful TR. Thanks so much for sharing.

Here's to many more years for you both!

Wow what an amazing trip report. Thank you for your attention to detail. I couldn't wait to get home from work to read more and feel kind of let down now it has finished. Will read your new report.

Thanks

susan

I've just spent all morning reading your report and not doing any work. It was beautifully written and sounds like a magical holiday.

Congratulations on 25 years. Looking forward to reading your report for your golden anniversary!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter