Fun (and cool) things for an 8 year old boy

audrey13

Mouseketeer
Other than the rides and attractions, what fun/cool things should we try to do with our 8 year old DS? For example, he told me he's too old for autographs and meeting characters and may or may not want to do the pressed pennies (we did both on previous trips). On our last trip, he started doing some pin trading and he wants to do that again. And I've read about the Kim Possible missions at Epcot and he will love that. Is there anything else I'm not thinking of that he might be interested in? Other "extras" that your kids have enjoyed around this age?

You could consider one of the pirate cruises for kids. I believe there are 4 of them which depart out of 4 different resorts. Our kids will be going on the pirate cruise at the Grand Floridian in May - I think they'll have a great time!!

Innovations at Epcot is great. We did the Wate Management games (loads of fun) and also check out The Cool Spot and try sodas from around the world.

My DS 8 favorite things were.... Kim Possible, the candy demo at Japan (arrived 5-10 mins. early, be polite and he will get picked),
Jedi training (he made a sign on a napkin at lunch :lmao:, but it worked), the shooting range in FrontierLand, and Tom Sawyers Island.
I imagine he will have fun no matter what. Have a great time!

I also have an 8 yr-old son, so I'm definitely interested to hear the responses. It's my ds's first visit to WDW, so he's going to be into autographs and meeting characters. We're doing the Pirate League, and we may do Kim Possible. I want to make sure that we do plenty that he likes -- I'm afraid I'm going to be overzealous about princesses! lol

My DS also enjoyed the Jedi Tranining--it was the highlight of his trip. He also saved his money to make a Light Saber in DHS. He is planning to do this again in May. The store is near Jedi Training (Tatoonie Traders) and you can customize the saber in many ways--color, sounds, etc.

He also REALLY liked the Cirque du Soleil show in DTD. (Actually, we all did!) It was definitely a great experience!

His favorite meal was the buffet at Cape May in the Beach Club. He really enjoyed the oreo bon bons for dessert!

Enjoy your trip!

If he likes roller coaster and video games, check out "Sum of all Thrills". It's basically a make your own roller coaster activity.

"The Sum of all Thrills lets guests create their own ride experience by choosing a ride theme: a roller coaster, bobsled or jet plane. Using multi-touch object recognition tables, guests use math and engineering-based tools to design and customize their ride by adding corkscrews, inversions or steep hills. In the process, guests can learn a little bit about mathematical and engineering principles to determine how much energy is needed for a jet to take off or for a roller coaster or bobsled to make it up its first climb.

When the design of the ride is complete, it is saved on a personal card with a unique bar code. The card is then used to allow each guest to experience his or her custom ride from beginning to end on the robotic KUKA RoboSim 4-D simulator." from Orlando Attractions Magazine

If you are going to DTD, check out the Lego Store...a lot of great displays, just about every set they have plus all kinds of neat extras, and building stations outside where mom/dad can relax with a drink or join in the play....there is a race ramp to test your Lego cars.

We also like to stop at Club Cool in Epcot to sample the sodas...every time we walk by, since this is the only time we have soda!! I am also going to make some passports for Epcot...we have done the autograph thing, but will try this now. On previous trips the kids loved the Chinese and Moroccan writing.

It is fun to play the midway games at AK if its in your budget.

We are doing the Pirate League next trip...my 8yo is all for it, as they can paint his face to look like a skull.

Some of the things my boys about that age like to do at WDW....

Lego Store. They could shop in there forever (of course they only get to buy something small as we fly) and love to spend time in the play area building things and racing them.

Disney Quest. 4 floors of free (well not really but they think so LOL) video games. Nuff said.

Innoventions at Epcot. More video games (cleverly disguised educational ones at that!) SHhhhhhh don't tell them.

Dinoland at AK. They love to play those carnival games and normally I don't allow them to blow money on them when we go to other parks, but at WDW they are each given a few bucks to play. Kids actually can win there.

Free time for swimming. Each trip I plan at least 1 morning "off" and 1 evening we come back early and order pizza by the pool so the kids can spend as much time in the pool as they want. My boys would probably be just as happy if they never went to a park and just swam all day. And we do have our own pool at home....but it's NOT a disney pool.

Water Parks. Last year was the first time we visited one of the water parks. They had a blast (again...swimming favorite FL activity!). This year I'm going to plan 2 days so we can visit them both. I'm also going to try to sqeeze in an evening to try mini-golf. Another thing we've never managed to do there.

regards

In AK, my youngest son would spend the entire day playing in the Boneyard (a playground in Dinoland). Even my oldest still likes it, and he is 12...

My DS also enjoyed the Jedi Tranining--it was the highlight of his trip. He also saved his money to make a Light Saber in DHS. He is planning to do this again in May. The store is near Jedi Training (Tatoonie Traders) and you can customize the saber in many ways--color, sounds, etc.

He also REALLY liked the Cirque du Soleil show in DTD. (Actually, we all did!) It was definitely a great experience!

His favorite meal was the buffet at Cape May in the Beach Club. He really enjoyed the oreo bon bons for dessert!

Enjoy your trip!

Do you happen to remember how much the light saber was? My DS who will be 10 by then loves star wars so I bet he will def want to check this out.

Do you happen to remember how much the light saber was? My DS who will be 10 by then loves star wars so I bet he will def want to check this out.

We did one last year at DTD are my son wanted the double sided. It was only $25 dollars. I think the single was around $20. I know $20 to $25 is not normally cheap but for Star Wars sourveiners at Disney I thought this was a good deal. And my son loves Star Wars and he collects light sabers. He had all colors except the double sided one.

Well, as the mother of 4 boys, I can tell you it will really depend on the boy in question. Especially at that age. Some are already so in the tween stage and others aren’t anywhere near it. For example, my DS8 would not/does not enjoy the Lego store. It bores him. But he has friends who would (DO) find it heaven.

One thing we do is wait on the haircuts. We go by the Barber Shop on Main Street in MK and get cuts with Mickey Heads and glitter. We go as early in the day as possible though because it can take forever to dry. Besides, it gets them a lot of attention and the longer that lasts, the cooler the experience. My boys could also not do without dinner at Chef Mickey’s on arrival night (family tradition). Pin trading is now a must. Next trip we will do the pirate cruise, although that is more for DS6. Must do a stop at Goofy’s Candy Store in DTD. Innovations is a given. The Jedi Training was fun when he did that.

I just asked DS8 what his favorite things were and he said, meeting characters and checking out the resort and doing some of the things it has to offer. Last stay was at Fort Wilderness and my kids found plenty to do around there. He also said that Hoop-De-Doo was fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter