Full Buses

valvzb said:
The point of my original post was to make people aware that shorter people have a harder time standing on the bus, not to give up their seats for my 16 year old son. I was naively thinking that perhaps people would care. My son would never accept it if someone did offer. I don't know if I would accept it either but it would make me feel good about people if someone had offered. I think that people are generally rude, selfish and uncaring. And you can use your logic excuse to justify it that's fine.
Never once when I got on a bus did the bus driver say it was standing room only. So when I realize that there are no seats I'm supposed to gather up my family and delay everyone else's bus ride because I'm uncomfortable standing and need to get off? I don't think so.
And I never glared at any one who didn't give up their seats. The comment by the wife when her husband was going to offer to give up his seat to me, an older woman, not a 16 year old boy, was just obnoxious and was the final straw for me.

I'm 5'3" so that puts me in the short category. I've never had any problems standing on a bus. I don't know why a short person would have a problem. As far as standing, I travel with my 68 y/o mom who has had double knee surgeries and now needs total replacement. She is always in pain. When we approach the bus I ask if the driver if there are any seats left. If he says no then we don't get on the bus! I would never get on hoping that someone will give up their seat. They have just as much right as anyone else to sit. My mom has no more right for a seat because of her knees then someone does that is exhausted from doing the parks all day long. Everyone is EQUAL and has CHOICES they can make. We have waited for many, many buses over the years to get a seat because my mom needs to sit. No balancing for her. This trip I am getting her an ECV so that she pretty much is guarranteed a seat on the bus this time. If you need a seat then wait for a bus that has them available.

I'm 5'4" and suffer from vertigo. I'm a 28 year old, othwise healthy looking female. I have never once taken a seat on a Disney bus if I knew it would be full, even though I have to hold on to the back of the seats and I end up ill by the time I reach my destination. After I get there I walk or sit down for a few minutes and "shake it off." My logic is, there is nothing within the walking distance it will take me to feel better that I care about from any of the bus stops, so I can deal with it.

I've waited an hour for a bus in the past (which is why I'll never stay at a Value again) so I tend not to want to wait for the next bus. I'll just deal with getting sick as long as nothing is wrong with my ankles.

Bus, bus, bus...

Almost everybody in this thread is complaining, either that A) Rude people won't give me a seat even though I think I deserve it more than they do, or B) Rude people expect me to give up my seat even though I think I deserve it more than they do.

I counted two or three people who said, "That's why I rent a car!" You can add me to that list - I rent partly because I despise having to stand up on a bus full of sweaty, smelly, loud, exhausted people, some of whom will elbow me in the ribs just as soon as look at me.

But I haven't noticed anybody actually recommending to others that they rent a car, so I'll do it: If you believe that you should never be forced to stand on a bus, whether because of age, innfirmaty, height, weight, gender, pregnancy, exhaustion, or how long you had to wait to get on the bus, why not avoid the whole question entirely and rent a car?

A rental car in Orlando will cost, on average, between $100 and $250, depending on car size. Vans and larger vehicles, of course, will cost more.

I understand that money is an issue for some. It is ALWAYS an issue for me - I simply plan ahead and save up longer so I can afford to rent a car. I'm poor and my budget is very limited, but the extra $150 or so for a small car is simply part of my budget.

I understand that some folks are uncomfortable driving in a strange town. I get lost in unfamiliar streets every time I go someplace I haven't been before. But I get a good map, take my time, and drive carefully, because I'm less uncomfortable driving in a strange city than I am standing on a bus.

I understand that some people feel that driving is a "hassle" when on vacation and that being driven around on a bus is a part of the WDW experience. Well, that decision brings with it the very real possibility that you might have to stand up on the busses.

My point in all this is that using the busses is a choice for most people (i.e. anybody with a drivers license). If you make that choice, you must live with the consequenses, once of which is that you will be forced to stand up at least some of the time.

Rent, or ride. If you choose to rent, accept the consequenses - your trip will cost more. If you choose to ride, accept the consequenses - you will have to stand on busses.

I made my choice and I'm not complaining about it.

We don't like to drive on vacation.

But when we don't want to deal with the downsides of buses - too tired to stand, too rushed to wait, anytime the buses will be so crowed that getting a seat means being nose pressed against someone's midsection....we take a cab. $15 gets you anywhere on property. We take few enough cabs that we break even on any rental my husband would agree to (he will not drive a subcompact car - we end up midsize). Back when we paid Tiffany or someone to take us to Disney, it was a little more financially, but more than break even in time and stress. Now with ME, its cheaper than renting a car.

We also take a cab quite a bit. It's great to be able to hop in one and go back to the resort quickly or to another resort. We take about 5-6 times each trip.

Well, we rent a car to drive to and from the airport, then park it at the hotel for the whole trip. Why? We go for the food and wine festival. It is incredibly dangerous to drive when one has alcohol in their system, in any quantity, at least that is what I was taught.

And now with Magical Express, we don't have to pay the $150 for the car we only use for 45 minutes, so, yay!

My strategy with the bus situation.... (waiting and the possibility of it being crowded) is to leave EARLY (in the morning and before the park closes)...

The rest of it is "small stuff". I used the waiting as a lesson of "patience". I used word recognition with my then 4 year old DS who was able to figure out which bus we were waiting for by day 2 :Pinkbounc

I don't rent a car, since it's just DS and I... we have Tiffany's pick us up... (they wait in the baggage area with a sign that has Mickey Mouse on it welcoming Mr. Noah ****) and his magical vacation has started!! :earboy2: So, we do rely on the bus, the boat (we LOVE POFQ because of the boat to DTD) and our feet to get around! :moped:

The last thing I try to do is show him MY frustration (I'm human, it happens) and to answer his questions honestly when he witnesses less than magical behaviour. :wizard:

I think it's so important that we LIVE by example for our children and REMEMBER that WDW is a magical place that is populated by many impressionable children! :grouphug:

heathriel said:
Well, we rent a car to drive to and from the airport, then park it at the hotel for the whole trip. Why? We go for the food and wine festival. It is incredibly dangerous to drive when one has alcohol in their system, in any quantity, at least that is what I was taught.

And now with Magical Express, we don't have to pay the $150 for the car we only use for 45 minutes, so, yay!

I agree 100%! I never have a drink if I have driven myself anywhere. When I go to Pleasure Island, I always take the bus, even though I hate it, because I know it is possible that I might want to have a drink while I'm there (I like the Kungalush). If I drive myself to PI, I refrain from drinking entirely.

That's how I feel about PI, too, but for some reason I've never had to stand on a bus from PI.

I've had to listen to drunk people singing and try to sit away from the PDA couples, but getting a seat on the bus isn't a problem.

The biggest trick to the bus thing is allowing enough time to get somewhere for a deadline. If I'm running way too late I'll take a cab. Car rentals are stinkin expensive and I usually go to PI or have a drink with dinner, so I'm not driving them much anyway.

Thats another reason we do a lot of cabs. I won't drive even after one glass of wine - and if we have dinner anyplace except the MK, we'd be taking a cab back to the hotel, since I almost always have some sort of relaxing adult beverage out at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter