Fuel Rods

If the fan charges by micro usb / usb-c than yes it will. Fuel Rods have a USB port and come with adapters for micro USB, USB-C, and Apple lightning, but can power anything with a USB port on one end.

They work great for small fans, either to power them directly or to charge them up. We use it to help give our phones a boost when using them to film or if they drain quicker because of the heat. We swap it out a couple of times a day and the kids really enjoy doing it lol....

Just remember that some fans with rechargeable batteries don't run on full power when being charged, so there may be a drop in perceived fan speed depending on the level you have it set to.

It's not cheap, but the convenience of having it swapped out for a full one is great then you can take it home and charge it yourself.

Sounds like a great product, but I am loving that my Whill Ci power chair has a USB port. It doesn’t seem to drain the chair battery either.

Sounds like a great product, but I am loving that my Whill Ci power chair has a USB port. It doesn’t seem to drain the chair battery either.

Boosting the charge on a standard smartphone shouldn't drain it too much, but just remember that (for example) keeping a device connected to it all day, or using it to charge something bigger (like an iPad or a small laptop) will impact your Whill's battery. As time goes on, and your Whill batteries begin to age, it may start to show up much sooner as well (and every year it seems like smartphones require more and more "juice" to recharge)

I tried searching the FuelRod mobile website for kiosk locations at WDW but came up empty (listed Discovery Cove and other offsite locations but no WDW). Anyone have a link to WDW locations?

I tried searching the FuelRod mobile website for kiosk locations at WDW but came up empty (listed Discovery Cove and other offsite locations but no WDW). Anyone have a link to WDW locations?

If you open your My Disney Experience App and click on the map at the top you will see a drop-down menu. Click "Guest Services" and anywhere on the map that you see a half-filled battery icon is where you can find either a Fuelrod kiosk or charging station. It will give you the specifics in the description.

Last edited:
If you open your My Disney Experience App and click on the map at the top you will see a drop-down menu. Click "Guest Services" and anywhere on the map that you see a half-filled battery icon is where you can find either a Fuelrod kiosk or charging station. It will give you the specifics in the description.

Wow, learn something new every day! I would never have thought to check MDE - thanks!!

Just be aware that if you exchange it outside of the parks, like at an airport, they now charge you to exchange them. I think the cost is $1 but you have to enter a credit card to do it. I have tried contacting them since this was not the agreement when I purchased it last year but so far no luck. Over Christmas they issued a Code to enter in the airport kiosks but when we tired at three different machines, we could not find a place to enter the code and we gave up.

They work great for small fans, either to power them directly or to charge them up. We use it to help give our phones a boost when using them to film or if they drain quicker because of the heat. We swap it out a couple of times a day and the kids really enjoy doing it lol....

Just remember that some fans with rechargeable batteries don't run on full power when being charged, so there may be a drop in perceived fan speed depending on the level you have it set to.

It's not cheap, but the convenience of having it swapped out for a full one is great then you can take it home and charge it yourself.[/QUOTE

thanks for reply...I am curious if they fit into a small personal fan...I am going in Sept and I was going to buy a small fan and it seemed it would be a good thing to try....I have a larger charger(solar powered) but it's kinda heavy to hold all day to use with the fan

I'll offer a dissenting view -- Fuel Rods are overpriced junk. They're only ~1,000mAh in capacity.

For ~$20-30, you can get a proper battery pack such as the Anker 10,000mAh battery pack. Sometimes you can pick up their 3500mAh pack for $13. I believe all of the Anker packs have some form of fuel gauge on them so you know how much is left in them.

We carry the Anker Powercore II 6700mAh ($25) battery packs, which can be charged in ~2-3 hrs and still fit in a pocket. Even after recharging my phone there's still plenty of power left in the battery pack, so I'm still good for another day even if I forget to charge it. It charges quick enough that if I suddenly realized that I didn't charge it overnight, in the time it takes to get showered & dressed, I could easily put on one day's worth of charge on it.

I do have some of their big packs (26,800mAh) which are great for those 14-18 hour flights or going into areas where I won't be near an outlet for an extended period of time (ie: hurricanes/the boonies), BUT they're heavy and big. Well-worth it if you need it.

I bought fuel rod right after they got the at WDW. It works great for us. I don't carry a bag and the fuel rod is small enough to go into one of my pockets and exchanging them is easy. I don't have to remember to charge my phone AND a charger every night. Plus we all can use it throughout the day and not have to have everyone carry their own charger. I like that it came with both IOS and android cords since only 1 of us has an I-phone. They may not be for everyone, but for the way we tour, it works great.

keeping a device connected to it all day, or using it to charge something bigger (like an iPad or a small laptop) will impact your Whill's battery.

The whill ci battery delivers 25 volts for 10 amp hours. I believe the usb port it gives is a standard usb 2.0 (maybe even 1.0) which limits it to draining at most 5 v at .5 amps. The draw on the battery from the usb port exists ... but ... unlikely to be a significant drain. A fast charger for smartphones and tablets draw a lot more power but still not a huge burden to this beefy battery.

This is actually a hassle for me as my Ci is on it's way to being heavily accessorized and I would like the onboarding electrics/tronics/etc to share the battery.

I'll offer a dissenting view -- Fuel Rods are overpriced junk. They're only ~1,000mAh in capacity.

For ~$20-30, you can get a proper battery pack such as the Anker 10,000mAh battery pack. Sometimes you can pick up their 3500mAh pack for $13. I believe all of the Anker packs have some form of fuel gauge on them so you know how much is left in them.

We carry the Anker Powercore II 6700mAh ($25) battery packs, which can be charged in ~2-3 hrs and still fit in a pocket. Even after recharging my phone there's still plenty of power left in the battery pack, so I'm still good for another day even if I forget to charge it. It charges quick enough that if I suddenly realized that I didn't charge it overnight, in the time it takes to get showered & dressed, I could easily put on one day's worth of charge on it.

I do have some of their big packs (26,800mAh) which are great for those 14-18 hour flights or going into areas where I won't be near an outlet for an extended period of time (ie: hurricanes/the boonies), BUT they're heavy and big. Well-worth it if you need it.

The only time we use our Fuel Rods is at WDW; the rest of the time I have a (too large) selection of rechargeable power packs to keep everything in my life running :) Living in Tornado Alley, we are used to being without power after the storms roll through for days a time, and keeping everyone in our house charged up and online is job#1 :) The Fuel Rods are handy for running the LED lights I have under my personal mobility device; I can typically get about 4 to 6 hours out of one Fuel Rod for lighting.

WHen we were at WDW in April, lot of the fuel rod kiosks were not working.
If the kiosk isn't working, call the toll free number on the front of the machine, they will take care of you. We actually went to exchange a fuel rod at the San Diego Zoo's Safari Park and it refused to spit out a replacement, called them and they had the machine issue a brand new kit because apparently the exchange side was jammed. Took about 45 seconds to get through and maybe another 45 seconds for them to fix it.

If the kiosk isn't working, call the toll free number on the front of the machine, they will take care of you. We actually went to exchange a fuel rod at the San Diego Zoo's Safari Park and it refused to spit out a replacement, called them and they had the machine issue a brand new kit because apparently the exchange side was jammed. Took about 45 seconds to get through and maybe another 45 seconds for them to fix it.
The kiosk were not working. There were signs that said out of order on them. There was nothing to spit out

Yeah, Dis ey doesn't allow them to publish the locations on their website for some reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!