Frozen.... in the NorthEast - August 2014

I have all intentions of starting a trip report, but we shall see how motivated I get. :rotfl: I think once I buy airfare I will feel like the trip is more real.

If you can see my signature it says "girls only trip" so no, my Tom is NOT a Disney fan. :lmao: He took us May 2012 but it was a tough trip. He's just not a morning person, doesn't like the heat, is a picky eater...so pretty much not a roll with the punches kind of guy which made being able to go with the flow difficult. I asked the girls the other night if we should ask daddy to come with us and before the question was done, they answered "no!". I swear I didn't influence them!:rolleyes1

Did you use a double stroller last year? I'm planning on taking my First Years Ignite which is super light and simple for DD2 but she rarely uses a stroller here so I was toying with the idea of renting. Then I thought, maybe I should rent a double in case DD5 wants to ride, but would I have a hard time wrangling a double and 2 kids on the bus alone?? I fully plan on once the weather gets better to start our walking regime. I want to build their stamina and I know the heat will play a factor in it, but at least their little legs will be able to hold them for as long as possible. I take a lot of breaks (always did even when I went alone with oldest DD) which helps. Lots of sitting on benches and people watching. Plus at their age, anything and everything is a distraction. lol

I just signed onto the laptop and your girls are ADORABLE!:angel:

So, I'm being a little dramatic, but after being home with my kids for pretty much 2 weeks, I am so sad that we are back to the routine tomorrow. I know from experience the grass in always greener- I am a SAHM for the summer months and it is truly the hardest job in the world and I find myself awaiting September on many occasions over those few short months, but my babes are growing so fast and really every moment we spend together is so precious- even the UGLY moments! :hourglass :charac2:

So today was mostly spent sitting around our fireplace and going into the finished basement to play Mario Kart with Aly who really can't play- she crashes and gets overlapped in last place and then passes me the wii-mote. Ha! :cheer2: Tom has been glued to football all weekend.

I was eating really healthy up until December rolled around and now I have been eating my way into the New Year. Tomorrow is supposed to be the day of getting back into the good habits and cutting out the delicious 'just because' foods and drinks.

Disney is my escape, my happy place as I've mentioned. Recently I've been quite stressed about our childcare situation next year as TJ enters kindergarten and I'm not sure our current arrangements will continue to work out. This year we have a babysitter 2 days, my mom comes from 2 hours away and stays with us for 2 days and Tom's mom who lives in the next town over watches them 1 day.

We are also starting to talk home renovation projects. We've been in our house for 7 years and have done some work to it, but have held off on the big projects because we always thought we'd be moving. This has been a constant stress for me- as I just want to feel settled and feel confident about where we are going to be for the foreseeable future. Well we have decided it will be best to stay in our house so now we'll be looking for a contractor and possibly architect and seeing what we can afford to do!

Have a great Monday! Let's see how long I keep up with this once it's back to the grind! :crazy2:

D's description of that August heat was informative...thank you. :)

I think I will stick to what I've done in the past...wake up early and play it by ear on when to head back to resort. I will plan indoor breaks (late lunches) and maybe some splashing in water areas during the hottest part of the day and use the evenings to wind down, pool time, baths and movie at the resort. I am planning 2 MK days, 2 Epcot and 1 HS. AK just never seems to agree with us so I'm nixing it out of the plans completely.

I feel your pain about childcare. I am VERY lucky in that in Sept 2012, I went to work for a former co-worker who opened his own business after we got laid off in Feb '09. I made sure to keep him in my back pocket for when the time came to go back to work. I started out 3 days/wk 10am-2pm. DD5 was in PreK4 and DD2 was watched by a mom of DD5's classmate. This year DD5 started Kindergarten and I changed my schedule to 5 days/wk 9am-2pm. I placed DD2 in daycare only because we bought a home and are little further from our sitter who also is pregnant. Plus DD2 is a different monster, I mean child, than DD5 so she definitely is benefiting from the daycare environment. So I pick up and drop off and am home by 315 with both girls. I played around with the thought of going full time, but my boss felt we didn't have enough for me to do (yet!) so he kept me at my hours and I received a 30% hourly raise. :goodvibes No complaints here!

And thank you regarding my girls. I think they are kind of cute too. lol My little one is a handful!! Unlike you, I'm excited to get back to our normal routine! :rotfl:

Have a great night!!

Off to another exciting day at work. The pipes bursts and flooded one of our schools an Hal of the children have been sent to our school for the next five days. I feel so bad for the children and teachers this has affected. I had 11 children added to my room- 31 children total. They were all very well behaved, but I've never been so tired! I am sooo dreaming of Disney Days!

Has anyone had friends ask them about trip planning because they are known to be a Disney lover? I keep having people ask me and belong to a big group of moms in town nm all the young teachers I work with. Kind of makes me think I should get in on the independent travel agent market and capitalize off of my passion (lolol)? Anyone know anything about this?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I have a great TA who specializes in Disney... I'd be happy to pass along her info via PM, if you'd like. She may be able to give you more information?

I hope your day goes good today with the extra kids.

D~

I have a great TA who specializes in Disney... I'd be happy to pass along her info via PM, if you'd like. She may be able to give you more information? I hope your day goes good today with the extra kids. D~

Thanks D- I guess there's no harm in getting some information, right?

Well it is Saturday morning and like I've predicted it's been a week. The closed school has found a new location but it needs renovating and they still need to move in. Looks like another week at least until we are back to "normal." Luckily the kids continue to be great!

We are going to try Tae Kwon Do again today. I know I'm mean but I don't have high expectations. Hopefully if we keep getting him there TJ will get familiar enough with all of the people that he will participate, but at $100 a month it will be hard to be patient once the two week trial is over. I tried to get him to the mid week session also to speed up the process but he had school in the morning and then he goes for speech/ot and fell asleep after that and would not get up to go. Maybe Tae Kwon Do won't be his thing- but the philosophy of self control, respect, focus, confidence- those are the exact areas I want to target with him! Wish us luck.

I heard that the WDW hours have been posted for August, but Touring Plans still has it listed as projected hours. I am currently helping 3 friends with their WDW/DCL planning. ADR time is quickly approaching and we have some decisions to make. It looks like my parents are certainly joining us for one part of the trip as well as my sister who is visiting today. Maybe a skype meeting is in order for later!

The first full week after such a long break (made even more nutty with the weather!) is usually hectic. I work part-time and the day goes by faster but it felt like I walked into the office and within 2 blinks I was ready to leave! Hopefully your situation will get better this week. :goodvibes

I don't think you are being mean with your assessment about Tae Kwan Doe. You know your son and know what his strengths/weaknesses are. I'm sure you will eventually find what works. :grouphug:

I haven't had a chance to look at the hours. Odds are they will be changed as time gets closer so I'm not feeling overly rushed to check. :lmao:

So next year (2015) I turn the big 4-0 and told DBF I want to go on an all-inclusive beach vacation (wanted to since DD5 was 3 but then had DD2 and there went that idea. lol) The problem is that since we didn't go on a family vacation last summer due to buying the house, he may not want to wait an extra year to take one. I'm going to suggest possibly reversing the trips....beach this summer and Disney next year (since he won't be joining us). I haven't broached the subject yet so let's see what happens.

Hope you are having a good weekend so far!

The first full week after such a long break (made even more nutty with the weather!) is usually hectic. I work part-time and the day goes by faster but it felt like I walked into the office and within 2 blinks I was ready to leave! Hopefully your situation will get better this week. :goodvibes I don't think you are being mean with your assessment about Tae Kwan Doe. You know your son and know what his strengths/weaknesses are. I'm sure you will eventually find what works. :grouphug: I haven't had a chance to look at the hours. Odds are they will be changed as time gets closer so I'm not feeling overly rushed to check. :lmao: So next year (2015) I turn the big 4-0 and told DBF I want to go on an all-inclusive beach vacation (wanted to since DD5 was 3 but then had DD2 and there went that idea. lol) The problem is that since we didn't go on a family vacation last summer due to buying the house, he may not want to wait an extra year to take one. I'm going to suggest possibly reversing the trips....beach this summer and Disney next year (since he won't be joining us). I haven't broached the subject yet so let's see what happens. Hope you are having a good weekend so far!

Thanks!

A postponed/canceled Disney trip is sad, but an all inclusive beach vacation is amazing! Would you all go together or just the two of you? Tom and I never honeymooned because we bought a house right away. I would love to do something just the two of us but I never want to leave my kids when I have off and it's not like we would take two vacations so I don't want to leave them out of a vacation. It now looks like my parents and sister are coming for the whole Disney vacation so maybe they will grant Tom and I a little alone time!

Well I stand corrected! TJ showed a lot of progress at Tae Kwon Do this week! He put the uniform on- entered the class area with Auntie to watch and PARTICIPATED for the second half of the class! I'm still not convinced that it will be his "thing" but I think it will be a good experience.

In Disney news we had a Skype meeting yesterday and it was decided that Grammy, Pop Pop and Auntie will be joining us for the entire trip- joining rooms at Pop though I started toying with the idea if a 2 bedroom villa but it would still cost everyone more, a day was added to the resort- so 8 days now, and instead of 5 day passes Pop Pop wanted 7 day passes since they aren't that much more and will allow a lot of flexibility. I am excited to have more days in the parks but nervous that we will then feel the need to go to a park every day and we really enjoyed our nothing day last year. We are driving and they are flying. Grammy and Pop Pop swear the dining plan price increased from what they spent last year so they did not purchase that again, but as we narrow down our dining we will look again to see if we would do better with the dining or not. Obviously my plan of leaving a vacation in the cart on the website did not work to get us a free dining code email :sad:

Tomas and I have never taken a vacation without the girls. We barely have date nights! :) I don't think I could go away for so long without them.

So glad to hear TJ did well at Tae Kwan Doe!! I think sometimes we get ahead of ourselves and don't give our kiddos the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully he has found his niche. :goodvibes

I usually get 6 day base tickets and it seems to be enough for us. I like the down days at the resort. I tend to go a little crazy the first few days and use the 2nd half of the vacation as a "go with the flow" schedule. I do choose the best park to go to that day, but we get up whenever we want and once we arrive at the park, we meander and enjoy the scenery.

I've never done free dining as it's never worked out financially for us, but adding DD2 now into the mix and wanting to possibly do some character meals, I may have to sit down and do some math to see if it's worth it to me.

Tomas and I have never taken a vacation without the girls. We barely have date nights! :) I don't think I could go away for so long without them. So glad to hear TJ did well at Tae Kwan Doe!! I think sometimes we get ahead of ourselves and don't give our kiddos the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully he has found his niche. :goodvibes I usually get 6 day base tickets and it seems to be enough for us. I like the down days at the resort. I tend to go a little crazy the first few days and use the 2nd half of the vacation as a "go with the flow" schedule. I do choose the best park to go to that day, but we get up whenever we want and once we arrive at the park, we meander and enjoy the scenery. I've never done free dining as it's never worked out financially for us, but adding DD2 now into the mix and wanting to possibly do some character meals, I may have to sit down and do some math to see if it's worth it to me.

Oh that's right- I forgot free dining is at the expense of the percent off the room- although at the values it's not a high percent 10 or 15% I think? Does that get taken off the rooms only or your room/ticket package?

#Disneyproblems

I'm feeling guilty this morning because we were supposed to go on the Disney Fantasy this summer with extended family and their children. We planned this 2 summers ago when we last were on the ship (they were not on that trip but we booked them a room). Well, we said we might back out and other family members have backed out. But then we went to a family wedding and had some drinks and said we were definitely going. Fast forward 2 months and they are making major cuts at my job, our house never sold and we want to do expensive renovations and we can do WDW for half the price.......they already bought their flights and I guess don't want to go if we aren't going. I feel like the worst person! I had suggested changing to WDW earlier on when other family members started backing out due to price, but they never showed interest.

#Disneyproblems

I'm feeling guilty this morning because we were supposed to go on the Disney Fantasy this summer with extended family and their children. We planned this 2 summers ago when we last were on the ship (they were not on that trip but we booked them a room). Well, we said we might back out and other family members have backed out. But then we went to a family wedding and had some drinks and said we were definitely going. Fast forward 2 months and they are making major cuts at my job, our house never sold and we want to do expensive renovations and we can do WDW for half the price.......they already bought their flights and I guess don't want to go if we aren't going. I feel like the worst person! I had suggested changing to WDW earlier on when other family members started backing out due to price, but they never showed interest.

Aww Ann... Here are my thoughts on your dillema...

First of all - it seems to me, your reasons for not going are totally valid. Quite honestly - vacations are expensive, and to be able to afford them, the rest of your life needs to be stable. Seems like lots of things are not quite right to make the cruise possible. :flower3:

Worst case scenerio... They would have to take a cruise by themselves right? I don't see that as a bad thing, really. It's not as if they can trade in their airfare - so they need to go... And it's a Disney cruise - they WILL have fun whether you and your family are there or not.

If I were them, I would completely understand your situation and your need to re-evaluate the cruise. Have you tried explaining to them?

D~

Thanks! I'm probably making more of a bigger deal than they feel it is. I don't really know- we only see and talk to each other in average once a year! I hope they go- I know they won't regret it if they do.

The latest:

Well after nearly a month of my expanded class at school and a stomach bug pushing through my house I am back to "normal" and with it being ADR month- 13 days - I am in full on planning and over planning mode.
We are scheduled for 8 nights at Pop Century with a 7 day base ticket (originally was 5) and today

I ADDED THE MEAL PLAN! Last year I scrutinized over whether or not it was worth it and in the end we didn't add it and never regretted it. But this year we are planning several Table service meals and since our home renovations are probably on permanent hold besides redoing our very tiny bathroom I'm ready to do some more Disney splurging.

We are planning

Hoop Dee Doo Revue- 2 words- sangria included
Chef Mickey breakfast
Garden Grill with Chip and Dale dinner
Sci Fi lunch
Via Napoli dinner
Be Our Guest dinner

So, with all of those, it seemed to make sense to add the plan- but could it just be over eager Disney math that got the best of me?? This will still leave us with one more table service. Maybe an excuse to add Crystal Palace for a before MK opening photo opportunity? Although as much as we love breakfast I hate spending the money on breakfast since we have a fridge in the room it should be the "cheap" meal IMHO.

Any other suggestions? Maybe a HS dinner? Or maybe Hollywood and vine again now that Sophia and Doc are part of the cast?

We added dining for the first time on our March 2012 trip, and I don't think I could ever do Disney with out it again. Granted - that trip was Free Dining... but it was wonderful. I LOVED being able to take a trip, and not have to worry about our meal budget once while we were there... The girls could order anything their hearts desired.

On our last trip - I actually had to pay for Dining... I worked the figures over and over again, based on what we would "normally" order - and our savings was less than $50... and that did not include the desserts (which we didn't need)... but in the end, it was a no brainer for us. I know that each family is different, but for us - it just works well.

And even though it's "breakfast" and would be $$ better spent on a different meal... CP before the park opens is a must-do for us... There is NOTHING better than being able to walk into a freshly washed and uncrowded Main Street that glistens in the morning sunshine... When we leave CP - our bellies are full and we can usually make it through the day on a "snack" at lunch time and then a CS dinner. So, even if it feels like you aren't getting the most bang for your buck - in the end, it comes out even. We never, ever do Disney with out our early ADR at CP (and Tusker House too) - it sets the tone for a wonderful day for us. So, I highly recommend. :)

D~

Thanks D! I think with all of the meals I decided we are having it ends up worth it. Of course I go off the idea of I we planned one or no table service meals, did breakfast in the room, and used our car to go off property for a few meals (sea Dog Brewery- YUM) then it is a no BRAINER money saver so I do get that twinge of guilt. But now that I have a 'plan' I am excited to see it through and try so many new experiences. I'm also still toying with am I going to regret not doing CRT with my daughter? I think doing meet and greets with princesses will suffice but I'm worried about missing something?!?!

Now I need you to convince me to get memory maker :) Here is why I want it- I don't want to miss any great photo opportunities. It's TOO hot to get motivated to arrange everyone for a perfect picture and schlep the camera around. We have no family photo in front of any of the great landmarks and our camera did the humidity/foggy lens thing the first morning we were there.

Here is my struggle- my kids have been less than cooperative with photos in the past though they are getting better, it's HOT= more sass/less cooperativeness, lines for characters - not sure kids will be interested in waiting, this I'm not sure about- lines for photo pass photographers.

We dropped our Disney Cruise for a 'bargain' trip to WDW and while it is still cheaper- I wonder for how much longer it will be! Ha! #disneyproblems

Have a magical day!

Another snow day marathon here! Yesterday I noticed that The Disney Store was having a friends and family shopping event and ordered tee shirts (for the kids- already discussed my attire- too bad the don't make sweat proof Disney shirts lol), bathing suits for Aly, new towels (we live in a beach town), Minnie sunglasses for Aly and a new Minnie cover up for Aly.

Shirts are as follows
TJ - Mickey and Cars
Aly- Minnie and Princesses

Bathing suits
Aly- Minnie, Ariel and Princesses
TJ- usually get Lands End since they have the shirt suits and then we don't have to put as much sunblock

I'm thinking of adding celebrations to our reservation. Aly turns three in June and TJ is graduating preschool. The kids will like to have the pins and with the cost of the vacation we've paid for those pins about a zillion times over, right?!

Tomorrow is ADR day and I've made one change so that we can try the infamous Ohana! I'm scrutinizing over another change Id like to make but Grammy, Pop Pop and Auntie would really like to eat at San Angel Inn and I figure the kids will eat the rice and chips and watch the boats go by if all else fails?!?! And I'm sure by this point in the trip I can use some good tequila too....

Yay for a Disney shopping trip! Cool! Sounds like you were able to get some great things!

Also, I agree - celebrations are a must - take advantage of them if you can, that's what they are there for.

Which meal are you doing at Ohana? We have not eaten at San Angel Inn, so I don't know that much about it... I am sure that tequila will be a great thing though. :)

D~

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter