Frequency of incentives for direct

Parkhopstacker

runthedis
Not yet a DVC owner but pretty committed at direct for our first 150 and do resale after that. From a newbie standpoint if I wanted direct, now ( or at least within the next year), it seems like the current incentives are not bad, right? RIV is out for us because we are a bigger fan of VGF. (We’d love poly but we can wait till poly2 for that).
Question 1: how “good” are the current incentives right now? Like historically speaking are they pretty good? (200 points comes out to like 198/pt I think)
Question 2: how often do incentives like these come out from Disney for direct?

Obvious angle for me here is “should I buy now or wait for another incentive that is bound to be better?”

Remember my goal is to get direct for the first 150-200 pts.
Thoughts?

I don’t think anyone can say with any certainty at all what to expect in the future. Depends on how sales are going and the economy. You just have to pick a price you are comfortable with and buy.
Totally get it and that’s fine if we have to just let er rip. As with any big purchase I’m looking for the big watch-outs that Only veterans would know about. (Historical trends and such)

I wouldn't buy direct DVC at all right now with the decisions DVC and Disney in general are making, an obvious example being the AP.

If I were buying direct -- After staying in VGF2, I would wait for Poly2, especially if you would rather have Poly anyway. Guesses have put points for sale late summer or fall 2023, so not long to wait at all. It should be obvious pretty soon if this project is going or not. I'd hands down take a new building over this cheap flip, even with restrictions.

I think the VGF incentives are good, and even think it's a good mathematical buy as sleep around points. But resale is better and now is an excellent time to buy resale. Especially Poly resale with all the uncertainty and tons on the market. And if you plan to by Poly2, the existing owner incentives could be great. They were for VGF2 and for RIV. And you should be able to split your 150 buy in if you are an existing owner. A new owner had to buy 150 of VGF2, but an existing owner could buy two 75s or three 50s.

Last edited:
DVC is a luxury purchase and If the economy goes into recession that would mean layoffs for most a luxury purchase would be the last thing on their minds.

If/when that happens DVC would need something “more” to incentivize people to buy.
I my book they are going to get better as we are almost halfway to recession and that would almost certainly impact sales.

I wouldn't buy direct DVC at all right now with the decisions DVC and Disney in general are making, an obvious example being the AP.
This is certainly one view and understandably held by those for whom the discounted AP is a top priority.

However, we're almost entirely in the opposite camp regarding DVC for the moment, though that could change if things like park cleanliness and obvious staffing issues aren't remedied soon.

We bought VGF direct and only this year added two resale contracts because we wanted to upgrade to a 1br and be able to stay annually in one.

We've never regretted buying in direct, even added another small direct contract a year later. Never have had APs, don't want them.

Buy what and when works for you, because you'll get all kinds of advice insisting this or that is essential. It's only significant if you decide it's what you want or will work for you.

We have been wondering the same thing....

We are in the same boat. At first, we were going strictly for the buy in at 150 points VGF2 and then purchase resale. But it appears we're going probably going to need closer to 200 to make that work for a week in a studio.

After doing some research, we found that BWV was offered in Dec. 2021 and BLT Feb. 2022 with similar direct pricing.

So the questions are - 1) How often has DVC offered incentive pricing similar to this in the past? and 2) Based on this information, could/should we wait for an incentive on a different resort?

Regarding a resale - When we did the math, we can add 100 more direct points at VGF2 NOW for $177 pp for those extra 100 points! It really makes us think that maybe we should buy 2 150 point contracts at VGF2 now. That way, all of our points are direct.

Another thought is to buy now. Put them on the Disney Visa in incremental 30 day billings for 90 days. If what I'm understanding from the boards is correct, we do not actually close until that 90 days is up - even though we get our points. If a better incentive is offered, we should be able to take advantage of that. Please correct me if I'm wrong. But it's just a thought.....

So, to all of you in the know - Has DVC offered buy-in incentives often in the past? Or is this just a post-Covid thing?

Also - thanks so much to DisBoards and DVC Fan podcasts. Great information and very helpful!

Has DVC offered buy-in incentives often in the past? Or is this just a post-Covid thing?
All the recent offerings have had incentives. Recent offerings have been good for existing members, about a month before the public can buy.

Covid changed that some and good incentives were also offered on sold out properties (BW/BLT). And the pricing for RIV/Aulani has been all over the place, like the Aulani fire sale. Before Covid, and generally speaking, pricing kept going up and up until sell out. Between poor Aulani struggling and RIV's issues selling (maybe restrictions?) and Covid, the pattern has been less clear.

Incentives can go up and down but so can the base price..which typically rises each year.

So, with VGF, I think what you are seeing are going to be pretty close to what it will be. Normally incentives get worse over time but current incentives are slightly better than May ones.

So if VGF is what you want and what direct for the benefits of unrestricted points..that’s a big one for us..and the potential to be eligible for perks..then I’d say your buy in cost now that s more likely than not going to be the best yoy will see

Now if you decide to do it, and buy right before current incentives end July 13th so you see in your 10 day rescind period. If they are better, you can ask to redo the contract. If worse you can cancel it or follow through.

Best of all worlds!

Incentives can go up and down but so can the base price..which typically rises each year.

So, with VGF, I think what you are seeing are going to be pretty close to what it will be. Normally incentives get worse over time but current incentives are slightly better than May ones.

So if VGF is what you want and what direct for the benefits of unrestricted points..that’s a big one for us..and the potential to be eligible for perks..then I’d say your buy in cost now that s more likely than not going to be the best yoy will see

Now if you decide to do it, and buy right before current incentives end July 13th so you see in your 10 day rescind period. If they are better, you can ask to redo the contract. If worse you can cancel it or follow through.

Best of all worlds!
Do the current incentives end 7/13? My guide keeps telling me it’s 7/7.

If interested in waiting for Poly2, buying resale portion first could make matching Use Year easier. Say you wouldn’t mind much between Aug, Sept or Oct UY, that would give more options to find a good resale contract. Later when you buy direct they’ll match your existing UY.

If buying direct first, most people want to match resale UY which makes using both contracts easier to manage. That limits your resale UY options to that particular month. Not a big issue, just a bonus of doing resale purchase first. Especially if Poly2 sounds intriguing and not already set on a specific UY.

Not yet a DVC owner but pretty committed at direct for our first 150 and do resale after that. From a newbie standpoint if I wanted direct, now ( or at least within the next year), it seems like the current incentives are not bad, right? RIV is out for us because we are a bigger fan of VGF. (We’d love poly but we can wait till poly2 for that).
Question 1: how “good” are the current incentives right now? Like historically speaking are they pretty good? (200 points comes out to like 198/pt I think)

Obvious angle for me here is “should I buy now or wait for another incentive that is bound to be better?”

Thoughts?
How many points , in total, are you considering? & do you have a preferred location??
The reason I ask these 2 questions is that I bought DIRECT in 2010, after a DVC tour, not knowing about the resale market or about the various perks that come and go. If you know for sure that you will purchase both direct and resale, if you find the right number of points at the resort of choice, at a good resale price, you should buy them first. Then you can purchase the Direct points with the same use year. If you buy direct first, it's often harder finding the same use year for your resale add-ons. Just a consideration.........

These are all great thoughts. One thing working against me is the expiration of the current deal is in like a week or two. I do like the idea of matching UY and it being easier to do that with direct on the second contract. In the end I k Ie myself and what I will end up doing… I’ll hit a wall of analysis and be “done” thinking about it and I’ll just make the call and do it.

I’m close to that wall now. Lol.

If you want to buy both resale and direct I’d buy the resale first. That way you can match up your use year easier. Plus existing members often get better deals when buying direct.

Thoughts?
As above, incentives vary all over the place, depending on many different factors. As a data point I haven't seen mentioned, during the 2008-2012 recession, direct buyers at BLT could enjoy a DCL cruise. I don't know the details - we weren't interested in buying BLT, so I wasn't paying attention - but it was quite the incentive!

Another thought is to buy now. Put them on the Disney Visa in incremental 30 day billings for 90 days. If what I'm understanding from the boards is correct, we do not actually close until that 90 days is up - even though we get our points. If a better incentive is offered, we should be able to take advantage of that. Please correct me if I'm wrong. But it's just a thought.....

I just bought 150 RIV points direct and was able to spread payments out over 90 days even without the purchase on a Disney Visa. All I had to do was put 10% down and then they let me structure the payments however I wanted. The rep said I would be eligible for any new incentive that is better than the current one until those 90 days are up. She also noted the 7/13 date as when the current ones will be over.

I just bought 150 RIV points direct and was able to spread payments out over 90 days even without the purchase on a Disney Visa. All I had to do was put 10% down and then they let me structure the payments however I wanted. The rep said I would be eligible for any new incentive that is better than the current one until those 90 days are up. She also noted the 7/13 date as when the current ones will be over.

Using the Disney Visa gives you the additional 6 months with 0% so when combined with the 90 days they will give you, it can be stretched out!!

I bought in March and don’t have to pay the bulk of it until November/December because I got both!!!

These are all great thoughts. One thing working against me is the expiration of the current deal is in like a week or two. I do like the idea of matching UY and it being easier to do that with direct on the second contract. In the end I k Ie myself and what I will end up doing… I’ll hit a wall of analysis and be “done” thinking about it and I’ll just make the call and do it.

I’m close to that wall now. Lol.
I wouldn't view matching UY as such a huge deal, at least not a huge enough deal to swing a five figure choice. I actually like having two UYs to have four waitlists.

If you like Poly1, buying resale now is at least a sure thing. And if Poly2 is better in the future, sell and buy direct. The key is a good buy with a loaded contract.

We have been wondering the same thing....

We are in the same boat. At first, we were going strictly for the buy in at 150 points VGF2 and then purchase resale. But it appears we're going probably going to need closer to 200 to make that work for a week in a studio.

After doing some research, we found that BWV was offered in Dec. 2021 and BLT Feb. 2022 with similar direct pricing.

So the questions are - 1) How often has DVC offered incentive pricing similar to this in the past? and 2) Based on this information, could/should we wait for an incentive on a different resort?

Regarding a resale - When we did the math, we can add 100 more direct points at VGF2 NOW for $177 pp for those extra 100 points! It really makes us think that maybe we should buy 2 150 point contracts at VGF2 now. That way, all of our points are direct.

So, to all of you in the know - Has DVC offered buy-in incentives often in the past? Or is this just a post-Covid thing?

Also - thanks so much to DisBoards and DVC Fan podcasts. Great information and very helpful!
My understanding is that once you have past the rescission period then you are on the hook and the contract(s) can’t be changed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter