French?

cstraub

DIS Veteran
I have never traveled to France before.

My DH and I will be taking our three young children to Disneyland Paris in July 2006. How much french if any will we need to know there?

I have borrowed some french tapes, books and vidoes from the library to get some of the basics down. Out of respect I would like to try and learn some common phrases and words.

With less than 10 months to go and a busy life I doubt we will be fluent (LOL) by July. How imporatant is this and how hard should I be trying to learn french? :goodvibes

Bonjour is about the limit.

Every time I try to speak French even just bonjour, they allways seem to quickly switch to English.

My French accent must be very bad. :rotfl2:

I think that's really excellent that you want to learn French for when you go. :)

So many people don't even bother trying - but like Chrismoo said, they do sometimes switch to English if they hear that you have an accent! Technically, it is not necessary to speak much more French than "Parlez-vous anglais?". But it's nice to make an effort, isn't it. :p

As you said, it's definitely still worth learning the basics, if only out of respect! Good luck! :flower:

We made a point of saying Bonjour, Merci and Au Revoir. Even though it is not necessary to speak any French I think it is appreciated. All of the CM's were very friendly and cheerful, probably from laughing at our abysmal efforts!:rotfl2:

I speak some french and i try always to use it even if it comes out wrong. I find the people in the park very friendly. I don't know if that is why or if it helps . I do feel if you are travelling where they speak a foreign language, it is important to speak a little. If just hello, please, thank you and Do you speak english?

You don't need to know any French at all!!!

Thank you to everyone for your posts. You have allowed me to lay my fears to rest about not being able to speak much french.

Sounds like I will need to know the basics and that our effort will be appreciated.

Thanks again! :sunny:

Like others have said, on my trip last week we barely said more than bonjour, merci etc. when you ask a question in French CMs tend to answer you in English anyway!

But its definetly a good idea and a great thing for your kids to learn- if they ever go to 'real' France it will be a plus! And they do say kids learn best when they are young, I say teach them any way! I know I wish I had learnt more French/Spanish/German at a young age!

As others have said you don't have to speak French, but i think it is appreciated even if it is just good morning, hello etc. My troop all tried a few words and the CM's definitely responded to them accordingly :) When DS 3 spotted a Spanish flag on one CM she said "she must speak like Dora". After pin trading Robyn said gracias and received a nice ring from the CM. :)

Reid

Ditto the other comments. We were there in July, and I always said Bon Jour and they immediately responded in English. You don't need to speak a word of French at DLP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter