"Free" Dining

Our first trip was in 2004 and look at all the options we used to have . This was based on getting the number of wishes you chose to get with your package. http://www.kingdom-travel.com/Walt_Disney_World_Planning/_Images/Packages_Dining_Grid.pdf
than take a look at 2007 and see how the changes have occurred
Of course I know many people may have younger kids and may have not been to Disney during these times so they may not miss the old packages but I do.
This add on to the Magic Your Way Base Package is a convenient and affordable way for guests staying at an onsite Disney-owned and operated hotel to includes meals in their vacation package. Choose from over 100 participating Disney Restaurants.

From 2007 Pricing: $37.99 per night per adult, $10.99 per night per child (age 3-9)

Package Dining Features Include: (per person*, per package night)
--1 Table-Service Meal (Includes: appetizer, entrée, dessert and non-alcoholic
beverage and gratuity/service charge)
--1 Counter Service Meal (Includes: entrée and non-alcoholic beverage, or full
combo meal: entrée, side dish and non-alcoholic beverage)
--1 Snack (such as snack-cart ice cream, popcorn or a non-alcoholic beverage)

Options:
-1 Table-Service meal can be exchanged for 1 Character Dining Experience.
-2 Table-Service meals may also be exchanged for either 1 Signature Dining
Experience at one of Disney's finest restaurants, such as the acclaimed
California Grill or for 1 Disney Dinner Show, such as the Hoop-Dee-Do Musical Revue.

Children ages 3-9 must choose from a children's menu if available.

*Everyone in the room must be on the same package and ticket options.

Our first trip was in 2004 and look at all the options we used to have . This was based on getting the number of wishes you chose to get with your package. http://www.kingdom-travel.com/Walt_Disney_World_Planning/_Images/Packages_Dining_Grid.pdf
than take a look at 2007 and see how the changes have occurred
http://www.*************.com/2004_disney_world_packages.htm
Of course I know many people may have younger kids and may have not been to Disney during these times so they may not miss the old packages but I do.

So? You used to get free park hopping with your much cheaper park ticket, rack rates used to be much lower and travel to and from was much cheaper as well. Does that mean that since it isnt as good a deal as in the past that people should stop going?

As a DVC owner, in years past you would not have been allowed to even purchase the dining plan during the heady days of appetizer and included tips.

What difference does that possibly make?

And? Disney is making cuts in alot of places (not just dining) despite continuing to post profits.

They also are offering multiple room only discounts and gift card promotions on dates that along with free dining encompass almost all of whats left of 2010 and nearly all of 2011.

Since your a DVC owner, are you aware of the perks that you no longer get that were available in past years? (Valet Parking anyone?)

The only thing Disney doesnt discount are the tickets, but we could nit pick all day about how much better things were in the past, all anyone booking today can do is to get the deal that makes the most sense based on what they are offering today.

For some, that will be free dining, and going when it isnt offered isnt going to bring back the days of walking up to your restaurant of choice.

You are so correct but one can wish for the old times :) It sounds like you see what I am saying though. Not to meant rub on anyone for definite just the deal is not so great for those of us who know the better side of it. What was the saying you don't know what your missing if you never had it. We just joined DVC and never have had the Valet parking so probably wont miss it much but I can see where many will.

So? You used to get free park hopping with your much cheaper park ticket, rack rates used to be much lower and travel to and from was much cheaper as well. Does that mean that since it isnt as good a deal as in the past that people should stop going?

As a DVC owner, in years past you would not have been allowed to even purchase the dining plan during the heady days of appetizer and included tips.

What difference does that possibly make?

To those that never had it the other way not much but to the people who have it changes the experience a little bit knowing there was better. One can always dream Right?

To those that never had it the other way not much but to the people who have it changes the experience a little bit knowing there was better. One can always dream Right?

Sometimes you just wish people wouldnt give in to the deals and maybe force them to bring back the old times but I guess that as you are saying is basically water under the bridge.

First thing to understand is that it is not free and the price is hidden in the package as you can probably get everyting cheaper if you did not buy a package direct through Disney and bought them seperatly. You are paying rack rate for the hotel/resort and tickets to get that free dining along with visiting during what used to be a low attendance time. Although free dining has upped their numbers in attendance. along with the prices of the resort and tickets increasing yearly to make up for the free.

Disney was raising prices long before free dining. Please give an example of this hidden fee concept you speak of.

Yeah this your spot on with. They have cut too much and increased prices too fast (thus the need for artificial discounting). But until the masses stop coming, I dont see it ever coming back the way it was before. Just not how the current Disney management team operates. Frustrates me as well and one of the reasons we will go instead to Universal instead one of these days...:rolleyes1

Yeah this your spot on with. They have cut too much and increased prices too fast (thus the need for artificial discounting). But until the masses stop coming, I dont see it ever coming back the way it was before. Just not how the current Disney management team operates. Frustrates me as well and one of the reasons we will go instead to Universal instead one of these days...:rolleyes1

You got me there cause I fell in love with Disney yrs ago and somehow am still addicted and Universal did not have that effect back in 04 but may have to give it another go in all fairness give it a try some day. :) :wizard:

For me the dining plan has value whether it's free or not:

1. Experience more places than I otherwise would.

2. Dinner shows and fantasmic package.

3. Add wine and get to taste some wines you never would have paid oop for.

Now I would do one or two of these on a normal vacation, but with the dining plan I can do it all. That has value to me.

Finally:

4. Not having to think "I just paid $50.00 for some burgers and soda!!!" every time I buy lunch.

Since it's all paid for up front, I know what it is, and have already decided it's affordable. I really don't care if I'm paying a bit more.

I guess you can consider me one of the ignorant masses that doesn't know what good food is.

I booked our trip (35 days and counting!!) prior to the "free" dining option. I had a pin code for 35% off our room for POR.
Then the free dining was offered after I had our ADRs booked and everyting.So I called to see if it helped me out. So I gave up my pin and still paid $312 LESS for our trip. So for my family of 3 for an 8 night 7 day trip it helped us out. Why would I not take advantage of ANY discount for a family vacation?? Plus my all vacation neccesities ( food, room and tix) are already paid for before I even leave my house. Plus with my Disney Visa rewards my tips and other OOP expenses (souveniers etc.) are pretty much taken care of also. For me this just reduces the over all stress of a vacation and allows me to be a little more open for either receiving or spreading a little pixie dust!!

Disney was raising prices long before free dining. Please give an example of this hidden fee concept you speak of.

Of course I do not have all the old disney rates in front of me and would find it interesting to see the rack rates in January time a few yrs back and see a package price back in 2004 of course cheaper but the increase Ill bet is crazy crazy just to see and just a few but I would assume that without free dining more people would choose to go at a different choice of time EX Summer when kids are out of school or during Star Wars weekends or such. Although One good thing about free dining maybe the summers wont be so packed. I also remember them giving pin lanyard starter sets for kids onsite who's families bought the 2004 package. I also remember no Cue lines for characters and it was magical when they were spotted and more seemed to be throughout the parks.

I booked our trip (35 days and counting!!) prior to the "free" dining option. I had a pin code for 35% off our room for POR.
Then the free dining was offered after I had our ADRs booked and everyting.So I called to see if it helped me out. So I gave up my pin and still paid $312 LESS for our trip. So for my family of 3 for an 8 night 7 day trip it helped us out. Why would I not take advantage of ANY discount for a family vacation??

I agree with that as it seems people these days must make the most economical decison offered and makes sense especially since we really have no way of bringing back the old days:) What can I say I'm a dreamer. One day you all will look back and see what I am saying when it is not as good as it is today and new people will be thinking how great of a deal they are getting too. So Enjoy it The memories will be great and fun times will be had either way

twooley2 said:
First thing to understand is that it is not free and the price is hidden in the package as you can probably get everyting cheaper if you did not buy a package direct through Disney and bought them seperatly. You are paying rack rate for the hotel/resort and tickets to get that free dining along with visiting during what used to be a low attendance time. Although free dining has upped their numbers in attendance. along with the prices of the resort and tickets increasing yearly to make up for the free.
First thing to understand is what "it" is. "It" is not free dining, so you either have a misconception of "it" or you're deliberately misstating something. "It" is a Dining Plan free when one books a Walt Disney World Vacation including room and Magic Your Way tickets.

IF I want to include a Dining Plan as part of my vacation and visit during the week in September 2011 (okay, not if but when ;)), I could pay $461.25for five nights at Pop Century, $246.99 for a five day base ticket, and $164.95 for the Quick Service Dining Plan - total $873.19. Or I can pay $708.24 for everything with the Dining Plan Free Promotion. No-brainer. Plus, with careful planning, I can get more than $32 value per night out of the QSDP ;).

First thing to understand is what "it" is. "It" is not free dining, so you either have a misconception of "it" or you're deliberately misstating something. "It" is a Dining Plan free when one books a Walt Disney World Vacation including room and Magic Your Way tickets.

IF I want to include a Dining Plan as part of my vacation and visit during the week in September 2011 (okay, not if but when ;)), I could pay $461.25for five nights at Pop Century, $246.99 for a five day base ticket, and $164.95 for the Quick Service Dining Plan - total $873.19. Or I can pay $708.24 for everything with the Dining Plan Free Promotion. No-brainer. Plus, with careful planning, I can get more than $32 value per night out of the QSDP ;).

You are correct but take a look at this from my little bit of research about back in 2004 realizing prices are expected to increase a bit but rather than increasing the price it appears they just cut a few things off the top in regards to the options IMO I also noted during our last trip that with the Quick service the portions have shrunk since 2004 which could be good but my family with two teens and a friend going along will not feed us for the day on the Quick service plan alone so more food will be needed but this will vary by family. the burgers we had at cosmic rays shrunk in size and they are using different buns smaller and most likley more economical in price.

"The discount room rates at Walt Disney World will be good for travel from January 1 through February 11, but the reservations must be booked by December 29. At value resorts such as the Pop Century Resort, which opened on Sunday, rooms normally start at $77 during the off-season. The $55 rate is also valid at the All-Star Resorts. Other resorts have similar discounts available. The discount prices are also available with the Dream Maker Package, Dream Maker Package with Silver Plan Add-On and Dream Maker Package with Princess and Prince Plan Add-On. To get the discount rates, use booking code CTH when contacting the Walt Disney Travel Company or your travel agent
References
http://www.mouseplanet.com/7924/Walt_Disney_World_Park_Update[/COLOR][/COLOR]

"The discount room rates at Walt Disney World will be good for travel from January 1 through February 11, but the reservations must be booked by December 29. At value resorts such as the Pop Century Resort, which opened on Sunday, rooms normally start at $77 during the off-season."
That, in itself, is interesting. That was the price for January and early February 2004. Know the starting price for value resort rooms in the off-season in 2011? $82 per night. Now, granted, that's Sunday through Thursday - since in the last couple of years Walt Disney World has adopted the industry model of tiered pricing depending on day of the week/season/holiday combinations to a greater degree than ever before. And while yes, many prices have increased both validly and artificially - the value resorts' base rack rate have gone up a whole FIVE DOLLARS per night over the last seven years.

Yes, I'm aware there are other conditions: preferred rooms cost more; value season in the fall will be higher than value season in the winter (going up a whole $3 after at least three and a half years at $82; holiday and peak periods can be upwards of $150)... but really, to pay virtually the same price I paid for a room six years ago, plus get the dining plan at no cost - i.e. little to no outlay for food? How is that not a smart purchase?

There is a thread "stuck" to the top of the restaurants board. Go read that,if you haven't already, it has a ton of good info.

The dining plan isn't that hard to understand. Disney puts a little icon on their menus that will tell you which items are covered by the dining plan. If I can figure it out, I'm sure you can!

Don't let anyone bring you down. I'm sure you will have a great trip!:)

Thank you! I am very slowly making my way around this board (so much info, it is quite overwhelming!), and I did see the thread you are referring to. I need to really find the time to plan out this trip.

That, in itself, is interesting. That was the price for January and early February 2004. Know the starting price for value resort rooms in the off-season in 2011? $82 per night. Now, granted, that's Sunday through Thursday - since in the last couple of years Walt Disney World has adopted the industry model of tiered pricing depending on day of the week/season/holiday combinations to a greater degree than ever before. And while yes, many prices have increased both validly and artificially - the value resorts' base rack rate have gone up a whole FIVE DOLLARS per night over the last seven years.

Yes, I'm aware there are other conditions: preferred rooms cost more; value season in the fall will be higher than value season in the winter (going up a whole $3 after at least three and a half years at $82; holiday and peak periods can be upwards of $150)... but really, to pay virtually the same price I paid for a room six years ago, plus get the dining plan at no cost - i.e. little to no outlay for food? How is that not a smart purchase?

The thing I was trying to point out is that with the offers they offered that year the rooms at the values were 55.00 a night and add the dining plan at the dining plan prices back than and they are about the same as todays prices with the free offer. So they appear to try to trim the extras like appetizers and such which back than were included along with less of requiring 2 credits and some other changes which could go unnoticed by someone who never had it the other way. for those thechanges would not even be noticed but for others it will be. There also was no tiered pricing based on the days of the week. Makes one wonder how much more they will trim in the quality and quantity area of things

The whole reason we went to WDW for our first trip was free Dining. Actually I wanted to go, but Free Dining is what made the numbers work out for us. We considered it a cheap family vacation - we were a family of 4 and went including airfare for 7 days 6 nights for ~ $2500 at a Mod.

Free dining makes it easy for us to try different restaurants and character meals and is a great option for our family. It makes it easier to splurge on CRT (we will pay OOP, but we know that the other meals are basically covered other than tip). And it brings the cost of meals down to way less than we'd spend paying OOP. Yes, you pay tips, but it basically makes it that you are getting good food at McDonald's prices.

We really are sitdown meal people (we eat out a lot, normally) and our trip last November confirmed that there's no way we'd go to WDW without at least one TS a day. We are doing free dining again in March. I ran the numbers compared to the room discount in February and Free Dining wins! Now, if we ever get APs (doubtful) then I'd probably get a TIW card because we like grownup drinks and appetizers. But for a family vacation, Free Dining makes it affordable.

The thing I was trying to point out is that with the offers they offered that year the rooms at the values were 55.00 a night and add the dining plan at the dining plan prices back than and they are about the same as todays prices with the free offer. So they appear to try to trim the extras like appetizers and such which back than were included along with less of requiring 2 credits and some other changes which could go unnoticed by someone who never had it the other way. for those thechanges would not even be noticed but for others it will be. There also was no tiered pricing based on the days of the week. Makes one wonder how much more they will trim in the quality and quantity area of things

For me, I could never eat an appetizer, entree, and dessert. Way too much food! What a waste of money! I can barely do entree and dessert. So I don't see any loss in quality there.

And the tierd pricing just applies to room only bookings. If you start your stay on the last day that Free Dining is offered, you can have it for your whole trip! So no loss of dining quality there either.

Of course things cost more now at WDW than they did years ago. Name some vacation destination that hasn't raised prices!

twooley2 said:
The thing I was trying to point out is that with the offers they offered that year the rooms at the values were 55.00 a night and add the dining plan at the dining plan prices back than
Ah, now I get it.

No. Not this dining plan or any version of it. The 'dining plan' to which you refer was - at least the basic version of it - something to the effect of "for $50 per adult per night, the Guest got $55 of dining credits to use as desired". Higher plans cost more and so offered more features - I guess the 'play' to which you referred in an earlier post. Features like watercraft rental, probably dinner shows...

That's from memory only, I never viewed the link so my description may not be 100% accurate. That 'dining plan' was so much LESS popular and, therefore, less used than the current versions. While my representation may be a bit off, my timing isn't. I'm absolutely positive that was a different, less-used/popular plan... because THIS Dining Plan (the Basic/original DDP) was introduced January 1 or 2, 2005. The first Dining Plan Free Promotion was offered for about a six- or seven-week period encompassing early to mid August through the beginning of October - and at least that year, Guests could "stack" discounts, combining an AAA room discount with the Dining Plan Free discount!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter