Free Dining anytime soon?!

How is free dining "far from being free"? Even if there were a 30% room discount, I don't think it would be close the the amount I'm paying for our dining plans. Am I missing something?

Far from true...

The regular dining plan for the 3 of us....Myself, DH & 12 yr old son is approx $165 a day ($55 a person approx) for the regular dining plan.

Moderate Resort- CBR $162 a night in January - 30% discount = $114 approx a night. Savings of approx $48.

Room discount would save us about $48 a night x 7 nights = $336.
Free dining would save us $165 a night x 7 nights = $1155.00
I would say Free dining is a MUCH , MUCH better promo/discount.

I am always wondering the same thing, but maybe they see something we don't? Or maybe the time of year makes a difference. I have only gone in September. I still think FREE Dining would be the best option for my family

See, I get all flustered when I read these kinds of posts too! We are a family of 4, me, DH, and 2 teen DDs which according to Disney is 4 adults. We always stay at a Moderate and use free dining.
$55 X 4 = $220 per day, so at 7 nights that's $1540

If I stay at POFQ in Aug. at 30% disc. and that's being generous, as they usually only get 15% there, I only save roughly $350 - $400 for the same 7 nights. So either my math is wrong or I'm saving a great deal more on Free Dining.

I would ask the moderators to move this to wherever the "free dining...I NEED IT!" Posts go.

Not to be a downer (but i am)...I get flustered when I see these threads at all...

Discounts should never be assumed...especially for completely optional activities like vacations (not that I am not in favor of vacations...I am... But just not high priced ones being demanded at lower price).

And I saw a "we're going for 10 Days...I need to know"

...I think prioritizing is in order...as it always is when discounts are viewed as entitlement.

Sorry to those that I'm sure I offended. But I may not be wrong.

I would ask the moderators to move this to wherever the "free dining...I NEED IT!" Posts go.

Not to be a downer (but i am)...I get flustered when I see these threads at all...

Discounts should never be assumed...especially for completely optional activities like vacations (not that I am not in favor of vacations...I am... But just not high priced ones being demanded at lower price).

...I think prioritizing is in order...as it always is when discounts are viewed as entitlement.

I am not sure if I am the "we're going for 10 Days...I need to know" person but I assume so since I have stated that we are going for 10 days. If I said "I need to know" it was for plane tix sake. We are going for 10 days regardless (which I also stated). Just not going to buy tix if we have to change dates of vacation to save money. See regardless of how much money we earn, we still want to save money. Just like everyone in the world.

If you do not like the threads that say FREE DINING....do not open them. Easy as that. You stay unflustered by the threads and the people discussing them do not have to worry about some person who has a chip on their shoulder cutting them down for discussing something. Not surprised you are from NJ. Lived there all my life and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone like you.
Oh... "But sorry to those that I'm sure I offended. But I may not be wrong."

kcwiak said:
I am not sure if I am the "we're going for 10 Days...I need to know" person but I assume so since I have stated that we are going for 10 days. If I said "I need to know" it was for plane tix sake. We are going for 10 days regardless (which I also stated). Just not going to buy tix if we have to change dates of vacation to save money. See regardless of how much money we earn, we still want to save money. Just like everyone in the world.

If you do not like the threads that say FREE DINING....do not open them. Easy as that. You stay unflustered by the threads and the people discussing them do not have to worry about some person who has a chip on their shoulder cutting them down for discussing something. Not surprised you are from NJ. Lived there all my life and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone like you.

You're right...but still.

Sometimes it really is black and white, not grey.

But as you pointed out...I'm out of this one.

(FYI...I'm not from NJ...I'm for western pa. Those I live around now - by and large - tend to ignore what's is "needed" and what is fair. That is in contradiction to the blue collar, give your last dollar to your neighbor and not ask for it back types I was used to)

I won't argue...good luck with the codes.

You forgot my favorite word "entitlement" :eek:

Great post

I knew I forgot something! I agree with you about people not prioritizing. It is the over generalizations that get me reved up!

Truce? :flower3:

lockedoutlogic said:

I don't "need" free dining. It would be fantastic if we got it. I'm sure many others asking feel the same way. I also don't "need" to know. However, IF we are going to get free dining, then we can spend that money on other things we might not do if free dining is not available.

Who is acting like we are "entitled" to a discount? If you don't like the questions we're asking, stop reading the thread. It's pretty simple. Why do you care enough to take time out of your day to belittle us?

curious question to those who are waiting for free dining offers...

how many will still'purchase the plan if its not offered?

how many will pay out of pocket for the week

We're currently booked September 21-28, and plan on going with or without free dining. I'll be THRILLED if we are able to go with FD, but if not, we'll still go, and we'll still use the DDP. September can't get here fast enough!! :)

serene56 said:

I have already purchased the dining plan. There is no way that my family of 3 (1 child) could beat the price OOP. Not with character meals and wanting at least one good table service meal a day.

We are booked for September 8th. We never ever go without a good discount, free dining being the best discount for our family of four since we don't stay at deluxe resorts. If free dining isn't offered, it will effect how we vacation. We will probably down grade to a value. we won't add the water park and more option so that we can finally try out those. And we won't be doing any character dining. A room discount on a moderate resort room would not be enough money to off set the cost of a table service meal per day.

Am I entitled to discounts, no. But I feel that I am a savvy consumer who won't throw money at a vacation just because I can, so I look for deals.

Not sure if I actually want to join this thread after reading some of the past few posts :scared: BUT:

Come on Disney! :yay: Please release your fall specials soon. I'm trying to decide if we can actually afford to go or not! Am I entitled to a discount? No but I'd sure like to know if one is going to be offered before it's the 180 day mark for ADR's or not! :idea:

We'll still go if it is not released, but we'll eat differently. I will have Garden Grocer deliver to the resort, and instead of restaurants, we'll eat from street vendors and split counter service meals. It can be done more cheaply, if need be. We will miss the restaurants, though.

Not sure if I actually want to join this thread after reading some of the past few posts :scared: BUT:

Come on Disney! :yay: Please release your fall specials soon. I'm trying to decide if we can actually afford to go or not! Am I entitled to a discount? No but I'd sure like to know if one is going to be offered before it's the 180 day mark for ADR's or not! :idea:

I feel the same way :scared: but....we will not be going if we don't get a discount, there are 8 of us and just can't do it without it. SO I am hoping we get a code soon!! Come on codes pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

serene56 said:

We are going to keep our booking and dining plan, regardless of a discount, although it sure would be nice for my family of six! I feel like we got a great deal on our airfare for the week flying on JetBlue out of NY so I'm happy already. We love the dining plan because it cuts down on worrying about budgeting our money while we are there. Even if it doesn't save us money in the end, it saves us a little stress.

Nobody has mentioned a deal I got years ago, buy four nights, get three free, or something along those lines. Do they still offer something like that?

I COMPLETELY agree! We don't NEED the discount, nor do we feel we are, or should be, ENTITLED to FD or discounts of any kind, for that matter. It would just be super awesome for Disney to release the dates and specials for the Fall Season, whether it be FD, Room Discounts or anything else. Or even to just release that there will be NO discounts this season. We just want to know one way or the other! As exciting as the trip already IS, it would be even more so to know the little extras for planning! C'mon Disney! Do us all a solid! Lol

DandSx2 said:
I am always wondering the same thing, but maybe they see something we don't? Or maybe the time of year makes a difference. I have only gone in September. I still think FREE Dining would be the best option for my family

It depends on your family dynamics and lodging. We are five with two rooms at poly. For ten nights a 30% discount would save me $2880 where as FD would save me $2750. Close enough but the room discount would save me more.

kcwiak said:

FTW! Best post of the morning! Sanctimonious people who get annoyed by things and then complain about them are far more annoying than the people they are complaining about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter