FP Strategies Please

Cinderella822

DIS Veteran
I know this has probably been asked a million times, but this is my first attempt at the new FP online system so want to do it right! Is it best to do the top choice at each park first and then go back and fill in the rest for each day after the top choices are secured? Or do you do it a day at a time and them move on to the next day? Just want to make sure I get some of the harder to get ones. Any tips on good strategies would be greatly appreciated!!

Especially if you are making them as soon as your window opens, I definitely recommend trying to get the toughest ones that you want (Flight of Passage, Slinky, Mine Train) first and then going back to fill in. In my experience almost everything else is available with a wide selection of times at the 60 day mark and it’s easy to come back to fill those in.

I know this has probably been asked a million times, but this is my first attempt at the new FP online system so want to do it right! Is it best to do the top choice at each park first and then go back and fill in the rest for each day after the top choices are secured? Or do you do it a day at a time and them move on to the next day? Just want to make sure I get some of the harder to get ones. Any tips on good strategies would be greatly appreciated!!

From the FP FAQ:
Strategies

- Scheduling FP attractions is never required but always advised, at any time of year and in all crowd conditions.

- The sooner FPs are scheduled, the wider the range of options (preferred attractions and at preferred times) that will be available.

- If staying in a single park for most of the day and arriving at park open, the best time of day to schedule FPs is often late morning to mid-afternoon. This approach balances the competing desires to have useful FPs (when lines are longest) with the ability to get additional FPs (when they may still be available).

- If a guest is interested in getting as many FPs as possible, then they should be scheduled as early in the day as possible. Wait times are usually shorter in the first 2 hours after park open however, making these early FPs not as beneficial as they would be later in the morning or afternoon. The advantage to this approach is that more FPs for headliners may be available after these early FPs are used.

- When park-hopping, the best strategy is often to make FP selections in the second park each day. However, there is no right answer and it is up to each individual to determine which approach fits their touring style best.

- One recommended booking strategy is to schedule the hardest-to-get FPs on each day (Avatar Flight Of Passage, Frozen Ever After, Seven Dwarves Mine Train, etc.) before anything else. For example, schedule only FOP on Day 7, only FEA on Day 6, then return to those days later to fill in your schedule with the easier-to-get FPs.

- Scheduling FPs for a nighttime show such as IllumiNations or Fantasmic! severely impacts the ability to choose additional FPs afterwards. These attractions are often better choices for guests who prefer to arrive late in the day to a park, have multiple days scheduled at the same park, or perceive the usual viewing areas as too crowded. In general they do not save much time and there are many good viewing locations, but they may or may not provide a less-crowded viewing experience. There is consistently a wide range of opinions on their worth and there is no right answer.

- Consider using Single Rider for the three WDW attractions that offer it. A guest must be at least 7yo to use Single Rider.

- A common Epcot question is which attraction to use FP on if interested in riding Frozen Ever After, Soarin', and Test Track on the same day. Usually FEA is the best answer (as it generally sees the longest waits), while using Single Rider for TT and rope drop for Soarin' will help reduce wait times at those attractions. Average standby wait times for Soarin' have lessened somewhat since the addition of a third theater in 2016.

- If attempting to book FPs for a large group without success, consider breaking up into smaller groups and trying to overlap FP return windows. While not ideal, this strategy may allow everyone to still arrive at the same time with a valid FP, just not for an entire 60-minute return window. For instance, a large family with 8 members may have success dividing into 3 smaller groups; with Group A having a 1:00p-2:00p return window, Group B a 1:20p-2:20p return window, and Group C a 1:40p-2:40p return window. In this case, everyone could arrive at the attraction between 1:40p and 2:00p with valid FPs and still ride together.

- Once an FP has been redeemed by tapping a MagicBand or ticket to the first "Mickey head" scan point at the FP queue entrance, the next FP can be immediately moved up using MDX to get through required FPs as quickly as possible. This can be useful when attempting to schedule a second Tier 1 attraction as soon as possible in the same day.

I think it is easier to do from my laptop than my phone. If you have more than one device and more than one computer savvy person going, or available to help, you can each log in and be ready to grab a hard to get fast pass at the 7am EST time. We had three people getting fast passes for our recent trip and we got everything we wanted, even SDD at 60+1.

I think it is easier to do from my laptop than my phone. If you have more than one device and more than one computer savvy person going, or available to help, you can each log in and be ready to grab a hard to get fast pass at the 7am EST time. We had three people getting fast passes for our recent trip and we got everything we wanted, even SDD at 60+1.
So if you do this, must you both be trying for the same FP on the same day or can you be on different days trying? Does the system realize you are logged in on two separate devices?

Agree with others- FoP, 7DMT (we repeat this one every MK day), Slinky.

If I know what other rides/times we want and we can quickly grab them, we book them at the same time. If it’s not moving quickly, we book headliners and then circle back to the other fast pass selections.

So if you do this, must you both be trying for the same FP on the same day or can you be on different days trying? Does the system realize you are logged in on two separate devices?
We have both logged into my account on two different devices with no trouble, and we go for different fast passes for different days. (one person was on her own account which is linked to mine as friends and family, as we are going together) We individually went for Slinky Dog, Flight of Passage and 7DMT first and got all three. Make sure you have choices for acceptable alternate times to pick from, then adjust the other two ride choices around what time you get for your hardest to get pick.

Hey team - I have a logistics question, my FP+ day is Tuesday and it's my first time booking them ever!

So for our ADRs, i had individual tabs opened up for every restaurant, so I could work my way through the priorities as I booked. Obviously with ADRs it's a little easier cos you can have a 'practice' run and get familiar with the pages.

With FPs, I have a list of all the bookings we want, and I've prioritised them - can I do what I did for ADR, have a tab for each attraction open and work my way through? Or do I need to go through the main 'Get FastPass+' tab on MDE? What are your go-to strategies and set ups, TELL ME YOUR SECRETS! :goodvibes
Thanks all!

Hey team - I have a logistics question, my FP+ day is Tuesday and it's my first time booking them ever!

So for our ADRs, i had individual tabs opened up for every restaurant, so I could work my way through the priorities as I booked. Obviously with ADRs it's a little easier cos you can have a 'practice' run and get familiar with the pages.

With FPs, I have a list of all the bookings we want, and I've prioritised them - can I do what I did for ADR, have a tab for each attraction open and work my way through? Or do I need to go through the main 'Get FastPass+' tab on MDE? What are your go-to strategies and set ups, TELL ME YOUR SECRETS! :goodvibes
Thanks all!

You have to go to the Get FastPass option. Pick your party, your day, then your park. MDE will give you the earliest times available if you don't specify a certain time.

I write out my order on a Post It note the night before. I check the Dibb FP availability feature to know what I am dealing with.

I start from the last day of our trip and go backwards. I do Slinky, FoP, 7DMT. Then I go in and fill in the rest later.

I don't make a ton of ADRs, so my FP is always very flexible. I think they are far more important than ADRs.

When your 60 day window opens, book your last park days first. That way, there will be the most availability. And try to book your FPs early in the day, so you can be done pretty early with your first three. For your fourth, fifth fast pass, etc., there will be greater availability the earlier in the day you look for them.

We have both logged into my account on two different devices with no trouble, and we go for different fast passes for different days. (one person was on her own account which is linked to mine as friends and family, as we are going together) We individually went for Slinky Dog, Flight of Passage and 7DMT first and got all three. Make sure you have choices for acceptable alternate times to pick from, then adjust the other two ride choices around what time you get for your hardest to get pick.

Wait, so are you saying that myself and my husband can try at the same time on different computers for different days? How did I not know this... all these years!

The first tip (which I have no business giving to anyone), is to stay calm. Technical issues are to be expected, but with an organized list, FP can be booked efficiently.

I would also pick 2-3 attractions which are of special significance to you, and book them at the end of your trip, so they are more likely to be available. For instance, we allocated the last two days for FOP, in order to ensure we get at least two, which we did.

Do you have any Attractions in mind you might care to prioritize?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter