FP day is tomorrow; please critique my strategy

rentayenta

DIS Veteran
Thanks to everyone who has been extraordinarily patient with all of my FP questions. It has helped immensely.

Tomorrow is my FP day; I'd like feedback on my strategy. :flower3:

Our trip is Aug 5-10, arriving at 6 am 8/5 and leaving by 2 pm from AKV on 8/10.

Initially we were not planning on rides 8/5 or 8/10 but FOP might change all that...I have broken down my days. I won't bore you with all the details but basically time restriction are due to ADRs. Only a few are not changeable.

8/5: arrival day post red eye
8/6: AK
8/7: Epcot
8/8: MK
8/9: DHS
8/10 departure day

1. Try for FOP anytime 8/6
2. Try for FOP after 1 pm 8/5
3. Try for FOP before 11 am on 8/10
4. Try for Slinky or Aliens before 6 pm on 8/9
5. Try for 7DMT before 1 pm on 8/8
6. If no FOP on 8/6 get Na'vi, EE, and Safari FPs
7. If no Slinky or Aliens on 8/9 get TSMM, RnR, ToT
8. If no 7DMT on 8/8 then Splash, PP, BTMRR
9. Epcot 8/7 Test Track, Spaceship Earth, Nemo and friends; after these we would try to FP FEA

Do I have them in the correct order in regard to difficulty to obtain? Would you change anything?

:thanks: again for all of the help.

Is there a reason you have scheduled AK for so early in your trip? Have not done the new toy story rides yet but it is hard to picture them beating FOP.

Could you shift your days to do Epcot first, MK next then either DHS or AK?

Thanks to everyone who has been extraordinarily patient with all of my FP questions. It has helped immensely.

Our trip is Aug 5-10, arriving at 6 am 8/5 and leaving by 2 pm from AKV on 8/10.

Initially we were not planning on rides 8/5 or 8/10 but FOP might change all that...I have broken down my days. I won't bore you with all the details but basically time restriction are due to ADRs. Only a few are not changeable.

8/10 departure day

9. Epcot 8/7 Test Track, Spaceship Earth, Nemo and friends; after these we would try to FP FEA

Do I have them in the correct order in regard to difficulty to obtain? Would you change anything?

We are there the same dates you are!

Is there a reason you have scheduled AK for so early in your trip? Have not done the new toy story rides yet but it is hard to picture them beating FOP.

Could you shift your days to do Epcot first, MK next then either DHS or AK?

Thank you!

This trip is for our anniversary and DH really wants to go to AK first. Its always been his favorite park; then Epcot, DHS, and MK last. I figured after 25 years, he could get his way just this once. ;) He'd skip MK all together if I would allow it. LOL.

We haven't been to WDW in 6 years.

I could shift Epcot to Day 1 and AK to Day 2; Day 2 is our anniversary so it's either AK or Epcot. Do you think I should switch them?

Last edited:

8/10 departure day

I have my first day scheduled for DHS and AK the last day, but overall I'm leaving it flexible. My strategy is to go for Slinky first, then FOP since AK is later in the week. We plan to hop, so whenever we can get a Slinky or FOP we'll do it then. I wouldn't worry too much about Test Track or EE as both are single rider, but that's just me. We have ADRs, but only one or two that I wouldn't consider canceling. One is an 8 am Garden Grill (knock Soarin and TT both out of the way) and Trattoria breakfast. Everything else is expendable. You definitely want to try for FOP and Slinky, and if it's important to you 7DMT. The rest are much easier to get.

Thank you!

This trip is for our anniversary and DH really wants to go to AK first. Its always been his favorite park; then Epcot, DHS, and MK last. I figured after 25 years, he could get his way just this once. ;) He'd skip MK all together if I would allow it. LOL.

We haven't been to WDW in 6 years.

I could shift Epcot to Day 1 and AK to Day 2; Day 2 is our anniversary so it's either AK or Epcot. Do you think I should switch them?
I would consider it. I would go in, grab the first FOP and Slinky you can find (maybe day 3 or later) then go in and try for an earlier one. After you get what you want, you can always switch up your days. ETA: forget the single riders since it's your anniversary. ;)

Do you feel as nuts over this as I do? :crazy: :blush:

Honestly I did last year when we went at same time. This time my DS is treating me to Club level so I paid the extra fee so we were able to get the 3 CL FPs booked at 90 days and our regular FPs too.

When they did our FPs Slinky oddly wasn’t available until afternoon both times I got FP. Last week I dropped one and changed it to TOT and saw it was still only afternoon ( we just needed to do once as my DS is 21)!

Have you thought about EMM on that Tuesday (idk ages of your family) Same son and I did last year and loved it! Rode SDMT several times , PP,WTP, teacups. This year at RD after EMM we are heading to HM and BTMRR.

I have my first day scheduled for DHS and AK the last day, but overall I'm leaving it flexible. My strategy is to go for Slinky first, then FOP since AK is later in the week. We plan to hop, so whenever we can get a Slinky or FOP we'll do it then. I wouldn't worry too much about Test Track or EE as both are single rider, but that's just me. We have ADRs, but only one or two that I wouldn't consider canceling. One is an 8 am Garden Grill (knock Soarin and TT both out of the way) and Trattoria breakfast. Everything else is expendable. You definitely want to try for FOP and Slinky, and if it's important to you 7DMT. The rest are much easier to get.

Hmmm....I like your plan of being flexible. We have our days flipped.

I forgot about the single rider options; its been a long time since we have visited WDW. Good to know.

7DMT and FOP are the most important. I feel like I can get what I need from just watching Slinky but would like to ride it once but no where near as much as I would like to ride FOP and 7DMT; we haven't been on either.

We have some great ADRs close to the parks we will be at that day. The path of least resistance seems to be switching AK and Epcot.

I would consider it. I would go in, grab the first FOP and Slinky you can find (maybe day 3 or later) then go in and try for an earlier one. After you get what you want, you can always switch up your days. ETA: forget the single riders since it's your anniversary. ;)

Single Rider is ok if we want to ride more than once. Its been 25 years after all. ;) We aren't going anywhere. :cloud9:

Honestly I did last year when we went at same time. This time my DS is treating me to Club level so I paid the extra fee so we were able to get the 3 CL FPs booked at 90 days and our regular FPs too.

When they did our FPs Slinky oddly wasn’t available until afternoon both times I got FP. Last week I dropped one and changed it to TOT and saw it was still only afternoon ( we just needed to do once as my DS is 21)!

Have you thought about EMM on that Tuesday (idk ages of your family) Same son and I did last year and loved it! Rode SDMT several times , PP,WTP, teacups. This year at RD after EMM we are heading to HM and BTMRR.

Club Level, lucky duck!! Very sweet DS. I tried for Club Level at AKV but they were all taken by the time we decided to plan this trip. Thats how I feel about Slinky, one and done just to try it.

I haven't given much thought to EMM on any of the days. This trip will be just DH and myself and we are planning on lots of drinks with dinner followed by some much needed rest the following morning. LOL. EMM on our Epcot day, Tuesday?

After you get your fps set, you can always try for an early am ADR. That;s one of the best ways to get a few of the more lengthy wait time attractions out of the way.Right now we are doing EMM, but I just booked Halloween MNSSHP so I may cancel the EMM. Mainly doing this because we will be travelling with 2 princesses and they must get autographs, which eats up loads of time.

After you get your fps set, you can always try for an early am ADR. That;s one of the best ways to get a few of the more lengthy wait time attractions out of the way.Right now we are doing EMM, but I just booked Halloween MNSSHP so I may cancel the EMM. Mainly doing this because we will be travelling with 2 princesses and they must get autographs, which eats up loads of time.

Thank for the ideas; I really appreciate them. I remember the Princess Days, so much fun! Enjoy! Guess I'll know by about 4:30 am how I did. :scared: Working up a Plan B for Epcot as Day 1 and AK as Day 2. And AK as Day 3. Hahaha! AK really makes the most sense that Wed 8/8 as we have Wine Wednesday at Jiko at 3 pm. I am guessing it'll be much less time consuming to go from AK to AKV than it will be from MK to AKV.

Club Level, lucky duck!! Very sweet DS. I tried for Club Level at AKV but they were all taken by the time we decided to plan this trip. Thats how I feel about Slinky, one and done just to try it.

I haven't given much thought to EMM on any of the days. This trip will be just DH and myself and we are planning on lots of drinks with dinner followed by some much needed rest the following morning. LOL. EMM on our Epcot day, Tuesday?

It is on Tuesday (EMM) that is when we are going. First trip with him being 21 so we will enjoy a few drinks — I got a great rate through a travel agent.

Our FP day is tomorrow as well. We are doing a lot of fast passes at night this trip so hopefully that will make FOP and Slinky a bit easier to get.

It is on Tuesday (EMM) that is when we are going. First trip with him being 21 so we will enjoy a few drinks — I got a great rate through a travel agent.

Evening hours. Got it. That’s our plan too at Epcot on 8/7. That’s our anniversary.

Our FP day is tomorrow as well. We are doing a lot of fast passes at night this trip so hopefully that will make FOP and Slinky a bit easier to get.

That’s wonderful! Good luck. pixiedust:

Same here... 5th through the 10th...

Wow, must be a good time to go. :dogdance:

If anyone wanted to share their FP plan, I’d love to read it.

You might need to move your AK day later as I don’t foresee you getting FOP on that day.

I’d do Epcot first personally then MK. That way you’ll get all the fast passes you want

I’d rather your husband do his favorite park and actually enjoy it instead of having to stress around the day trying to get the fast passes as you get closer.

You might need to move your AK day later as I don’t foresee you getting FOP on that day.

I’d do Epcot first personally then MK. That way you’ll get all the fast passes you want

I’d rather your husband do his favorite park and actually enjoy it instead of having to stress around the day trying to get the fast passes as you get closer.

Great insights, thank you!

I like the idea of Epcot first but I don’t want to spend our anniversary in a mostly dry MK. It’s his least favorite park.

Epcot seems to be the easiest park to get what you want, then MK. I agree with the rationale.

The only thing I have to add is if you don’t get FOP with step 1, I would skip step 2. Don’t bother looking FOP your 1st day, go right to 8/10, which is dramatically more likely. Then you can move on faster to 7DMT and Toy Story.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter