FORMAL Night on the Magic ..... so sad .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tammy_in_NC

Earning My Ears
We were on the Alaska cruise last week. We are Gold Castaway Cay members and our whole family really looks forward to dressing up for dinner. My boys have tuxedos (they are reasonably priced on eBay). When we went to Formal Night dinner there were probably more people in BLUE JEANS than formal wear !! SO SAD !!! Lot of newbies on this cruise but come on people........can you just wear a tie and khakis ??? We were VERY disappointed. Even people with shorts on. It just ruins it for everyone (in my opinion). Go and eat at Beach Blanket if you want to wear shorts on Formal Night.

We were on the Alaska cruise last week. We are Gold Castaway Cay members and our whole family really looks forward to dressing up for dinner. My boys have tuxedos (they are reasonably priced on eBay). When we went to Formal Night dinner there were probably more people in BLUE JEANS than formal wear !! SO SAD !!! Lot of newbies on this cruise but come on people........can you just wear a tie and khakis ??? We were VERY disappointed. Even people with shorts on. It just ruins it for everyone (in my opinion). Go and eat at Beach Blanket if you want to wear shorts on Formal Night.

Hear, hear! :thumbsup2

:cutie:

DH and I are just the type that hate to dress up, so we have our Formal Night dinner at the buffet. I agree that fewer and fewer people are getting dressed to the nine's, which I really do understand (I can't stand lugging around dressy clothes, shoes, etc), but the flip flops and shorts ensembles are becoming more and more frequent.

On our last cruise, we were lucky enough to have a nice dinner at Palo. The table next to us had a few couples. One of the men had a Batman t-shirt and jeans on.

Didn't affect my dinner, but both DH and I agreed that it wouldn't have killed him to wear a nice polo shirt instead. But, then again, the host at Palo greeted him, and seated him, so.....

Unless they really start to enforce that stuff, jeans will become the norm at Palo, and flip flops & shorts will become the norm at dinner.

I'm with you, OP! It's sad for me to see people "dressing down". I understand the packing issue but as long as they have formal night, I will adhere to DCL's dress recommendation. I am a long time DCL guest and it bothers me to see shorts and blue jeans in the dining rooms as well. I dress comfortably like that at home but I do follow my host's recommendations while on a vacation. I appreciate people like Kim&Chris. We went on a HAL Alaskan Cruise and spent the whole trip at the buffet for dinner. We, too, didn't want to dress up adding to the weight of the luggage.

We were on the Magic at the end of June, and a tablemate of ours tried to get into Palo Brunch with Jean Capri's and "fancy" flipflops, but the Host turned her away. Luckily, her DH had packed something a little more dressy (khaki capri's) and she went back down to change, and was allowed in.

However, 2 nights before, we ate dinner at Palo and some guy had on a long sleeve T with writing all over the back. :confused3

DH and I are just the type that hate to dress up, so we have our Formal Night dinner at the buffet. I agree that fewer and fewer people are getting dressed to the nine's, which I really do understand (I can't stand lugging around dressy clothes, shoes, etc), but the flip flops and shorts ensembles are becoming more and more frequent.

On our last cruise, we were lucky enough to have a nice dinner at Palo. The table next to us had a few couples. One of the men had a Batman t-shirt and jeans on.

Didn't affect my dinner, but both DH and I agreed that it wouldn't have killed him to wear a nice polo shirt instead. But, then again, the host at Palo greeted him, and seated him, so.....

Unless they really start to enforce that stuff, jeans will become the norm at Palo, and flip flops & shorts will become the norm at dinner.

I can't believe that Palo let him in. I have seen multiple people turned away for wearing somewhat better than you described. Someone dropped that ball on that one. Frankly if I saw that, I think I would have to say something about the strict dress code and why wasn't it enforced.

We're cruising to Alaska next week- and my family will be dressin' up! We don't do tuxedos or anything......but I wear a fancy dress and heels, and my DH and two sons all wear dress pants, shirts and ties. It's fun to do every once and awhile- you're on a fancy cruise ship! :groom:

My son and I dress up fully on formal nights, and will continue to do so. It bugs me bigtime that so many people don't seem to grasp the concept of formal night, but you just can't buy class -- And hey, the more dressed up we are, the dumber they look for ignoring the dress code. Plus, we have fabulous portraits as momentos, and they won't. :goodvibes

I certainly respect everyone's feeling to dress casually because they're on vacation but it's kinda like going to a costume party without a costume. The whole reason for a formal night is to create an atmosphere of elegance and yesteryear when cruising was for the rich and famous. I'm the first one in flip flops, board shorts and T shirt but come on people, get in the swing of things.

Regarding Palo and Remy, it should be semi formal period (just my opinion)

Randy

I agree with all of the previous posters. It's a shame DCL doesn't.

Beth

BTW, I will continue to dress up for formal and semi-formal nights! DH even enjoys wearing a tux.

What a wonderful breath of fresh air to read all of the previous posts!!! What ever happened to Class? Seems its gone the way of the classic cruise ships and everything else. :(

I believe that Disney has allowed it to go way too far and I doubt it will ever turn around. We will continue to dress for dinner because we enjoy it and it is what is expected. We also dress for church on Sunday, so maybe we are used to it.
But how hard is it to throw a sun dress and a pair of kahkis and polo shirt into the suit case. That would be better than jeans and shorts.
I find it odd that Disney holds tight to some rules but others thay look the other way.

My family and my best friend's family went on the Magic for Easter. We had a great time, but not only the formal night but for Easter Sunday I was disappointed in the way people dressed.

My BFF and I started cruising every year a couple of years out of college. Then it was 2 formal night, 3 semi formal and 2 casual nights for dinner. We always had the cute cocktail dresses and dressed to the nines. Then we started cruising with our husbands and they surprised us by renting tuxedos, we all looked great. Fast forward 1o years and we are now traveling with my boys 9 & 7 and her daughter 8.

Granted I didn't get suits for the boys, but they had dress pants, button down shirts and ties for dinner on formal night. As well as khakis and a golf shirt for Easter Sunday services and we put the same clothes on them for dinner that night. The kids complained since a lot of kids were really casual, they made us go back to the room to change before the went to Oceaneers lab. We looked around and there were numerous parents dressed like they were going to McDonald's not dinner on the ship.

I think more people were dressed for the pirate night than the formal night. Part of the fun of formal night is getting dressed up, so if you can pack a costume for one event, please pack the costume for the formal event too!

I don't know what is going on with the Palo dress code. On our May Fantasy cruise, there wa a woman in what I can only call "short shorts." Yes, they were part of her outfit--paired with an obviously made to go together jacket, and she did have the body for it, but no one really wants to see her lower cheeks as she walks out! And, as you said, they seated her.

If they don't enforce the dress code, there IS no dress code.

We do dress up on formal night. OK, on the high school grad cruise, I told the guys khakis, a dress shirt, and tie OR nicer. I didn't have to tell the girls anything--they all "dressed." That was probably the least "dressed" our group has ever been.

It doesn't bother me that people don't wear a tux or ball gown, but how hard is it to do something that looks like "Sunday clothes?" But....since it isn't going to change, I vote for "It isn't going to bother me....."

And...am I the only one who still believes that when the kids are dressed to go "out," their manners improve? But then, I've seen some fully grown "kids" exhibiting some pretty horrible behavior in the dining room. The worst was when the head server took over all of our team's tables except one because that one was being so rude and obnoxious and making all kinds of extra work for the team! They came to the dining room full of plenty of adult beverages, and would swap seats mid meal, send food back 2 or 3 times, etc. Poor Joyce!

I don't know what is going on with the Palo dress code. On our May Fantasy cruise, there wa a woman in what I can only call "short shorts." Yes, they were part of her outfit--paired with an obviously made to go together jacket, and she did have the body for it, but no one really wants to see her lower cheeks as she walks out! And, as you said, they seated her.

If they don't enforce the dress code, there IS no dress code.

We do dress up on formal night. OK, on the high school grad cruise, I told the guys khakis, a dress shirt, and tie OR nicer. I didn't have to tell the girls anything--they all "dressed." That was probably the least "dressed" our group has ever been.

It doesn't bother me that people don't wear a tux or ball gown, but how hard is it to do something that looks like "Sunday clothes?" But....since it isn't going to change, I vote for "It isn't going to bother me....."

And...am I the only one who still believes that when the kids are dressed to go "out," their manners improve? But then, I've seen some fully grown "kids" exhibiting some pretty horrible behavior in the dining room. The worst was when the head server took over all of our team's tables except one because that one was being so rude and obnoxious and making all kinds of extra work for the team! They came to the dining room full of plenty of adult beverages, and would swap seats mid meal, send food back 2 or 3 times, etc. Poor Joyce!

I'm right there with ya when it comes to kid's manners improving with dressing up. After all, most kids always seem to want to be older than their years, so dressing up for dinner is a perfect way to get them going in that direction.:banana:

Common courtesy and respect for others seems to be forgotten by some of the guests when they board the ship. How sad.

It's a losing battle, there are too many rationalizations out there. I'm sorry this is one of your memories. For the next cruise (and there will be one!), try to not be affected by the few who don't care, and relish your family and the time together on the ship. Our cruises are fantastic...we are able to tune out the few who are overentitled.

My son and I dress up fully on formal nights, and will continue to do so. It bugs me bigtime that so many people don't seem to grasp the concept of formal night, but you just can't buy class -- And hey, the more dressed up we are, the dumber they look for ignoring the dress code. Plus, we have fabulous portraits as momentos, and they won't. :goodvibes
Bravo! :thumbsup2

I live dressing up and wearing fancy dresses. The least you could do is where a nice shirt and nice slacks. This will be yhe first cruise where I am not wearing a long formal gown but a nice tea length dress on formal night I sure hope thats formal enough. We dress up each night I bring a different dress or skirt nice shirt combo, DD also wears a dress or skirt each night and DH wears shorts (dont shoot me) which are dress shorts or golf shorts they are nice like black pants that have been cut off and a polo. I will say DH never wears a tie even on formal night but he does wear a black suit.

Yes this takes up a lot of room in our suitcases but each of us bring our own case and one rolling carry on. Since for during the day I bring maybe 2shorts 4 shirts 3 coverups 1set running clothes 3 maxi dresses. I go with 2 pairs of heels that match everything. DD wears a size 0 so here bag always has room for souviners.

I think its so much fun to dress up and sad to see others who cant at least put a sun dress on. When we were on the Magic in 2009 I had on a formal dress but felt totally under dressed as everyone was dressed up. My dad even brought his tux and his suit. Oh the good old days.

This is kinda like at my wedding which was semi formal and my cousin showed up in jeans and said this is all I own. Really go to target for $20 and a cheap pair of black pants. Really put a bad taste in my mouth.

We were on the Wonder June 25 - July 2 in Alaska.

We shared a table with a family that did not dress up. They wore "cruise casual" for both formal and semi-formal nights.

We went all out - I had on a sequined evening gown, DH and DS had on tuxes, DD wore her prom dress.

We all got compliments, and loved dressing up and getting our pictures taken.

The other family? They said they just didn't want to pack "all that stuff". :confused3

Yeah, it is a bit more to pack, but I figure we have so few occasions when the entire family is dressed up and looking fancy, it was worth it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter