For those who stay in a 1br+, do you cook meals? How much/often?

Never cook......don't want to on vacation.

I do bake sometimes though....because I enjoy that.

We cook. I don't mind cooking on vacation. We do for most of our vacations. If we aren't at Disney we like renting houses from VRBO so we can eat in. How much we cook depends on what we are doing. Most breakfasts are in the room. We had a character breakfast the last day on our last trip. We have a lot of sandwiches and hot dogs etc for lunch in the room. We didn't have a lot of dinner in the room on the last trip, but in the past we've had beef stew (crockpot) sloppy joe, pasta, tacos, etc. I will cut corners on vacation like buying shredded lettuce or precut fruit and veggies. Another thing we've done is get take out food from off property. Olive Garden has huge portions and 2-3 meals feeds all 4 of us. My husband will go pick it up and bring it to the room.

We will do breakfast in the room - usually cereal or donuts.

We cook dinner more than you might expect. We don't often stay at the parks for fireworks (or we go back for them) but will often come back to our room after mid-day.

I'd rather not cook and the associated cleaning when on vacation but we did both times we had a room bigger than a studio. My wife made beef wellington one night and I've made steak and pasta. I think we even made a lasagna.

After owning for 17 years and being retired. 10 years.....it's not all about the parks so much...golf,pool, being warm, visiting other resorts...you bet we do some eating in the villa or cooking....brkfast yes, lunch if we are around....and maybe something easy for dinner sometimes....and i dont like to cook...having the adult DD and her hubby with was great...she took over food duties....
When we drive down from burbs of Chicago area we over nite in Ocala get up and do a run to the wonderful Publix there for groceries and head to the World....

We “cook” breakfast in the room, mostly because it saves time when trying to get to the parks early. Depends on what you define as cooking. I often buy some frozen breakfast sandwiches and microwave those. I also hard boil some eggs. We will also eat cereal, oatmeal or pastries.

The only place we ate lunch or dinner in the room some of the time was at Aulani. That’s because it’s very easy to go back to your room. At WDW, even at a monorail resort, it would be a big pain to go back to the room just for lunch. I would most likely lose a good 2 hours doing that. Doesn’t seem worthwhile then there are a fair amount of relatively inexpensive quick service restaurants.

We freeze a couple of our favorite meals from this Mexican restaurant close to our house, like fajitas and other stuff, take some homemade four tortillas and put in a freezer bag and then put in check in luggage. We can make breakfast burritos with the flour tortillas also with egg and ham, etc . We also go to Costco once we are there, and buy a couple of our favorite meals that we can just heat up in the over, like lasagna and chicken Alfredo. We buy a couple of Costco homemade pizzas to cook in the oven or get one from the BW when we stay there. We eat most of out breakfasts in our resort, most lunches at the parks and about 60 % of our dinners in our room . We have our favorite must do restaurants like O"Hana, Boma , the tavern in Celebration and the ribs in Ak.We now love the new lunches at the new AK area. My family gets very tired of eating in restaurants all the time, so mix it up. We really like to feel like we are at home and eating in our room gives us that feeling but we don't cook big meals. DH likes to grill at the BW by the quiet pool after going to the parks sometimes.

We hate to eat out three meals a day-especially with kids, and as expensive as it is in Disney. I am excited for our upcoming VGC stay-so easy at DL to run back to the room. I am hoping to grill! My husband gets tired of hanging out at the parks so may put him on meal duty.

we've used it to cook mac & cheese for the kids, as well as some eggs/sausage for breakfast (along with cereal for kids). My youngest daughter just does not do sit down restaurants very well. She can handle about 45 minutes -- but after that, she's ready to bolt...so having the kitchen is quite helpful, particularly at dinner time.

We eat breakfast in the room, but it's not cooked. Cereal, donuts, milk, protein bars, etc.
Years ago I made spaghetti one night. That was the one and only meal I ever cooked there. I hate cooking, and I don't want to do it on vacation. The full size fridge is great for water and milk:-)

Breakfasts, snacks, nuked leftovers, the occasional sandwich. That's about as far as we've committed to cooking while on vacation.

We cook, but nothing fancy. We like it for the space, the full size fridge/laundry and the ability to make quick meals (peanut butter/jelly, cereal, boiled or scrambled eggs).

I usually don't cook too often on vacation, but this upcoming trip will be different. We plan on only a few park days, so we will be at our resort (CCV this time!) more and we will have a full kitchen since we booked a 1 bedroom. The other replies on this thread gave me lots of good ideas on quick and easy meals to make. We also plan to hit up a few bars and lounges which we have never had the time to do. It should be fun. I love the TS restaurants and their themes so hopefully the bars will be a good substitute for that. We still have one ADR at Raglan Road since I haven't tried it yet.

We still have one ADR at Raglan Road since I haven't tried it yet.

We've done Raglan Road once. As a pub, it was fun. As a dining experience, it was "Meh". I don't completely understand the hype over this one. On the other hand, Art Smith's Homecoming surprised me and has become a favorite! Just goes to show you that you never know until you try them. I hope that you enjoy Raglan and that you have a great low key trip to CCV!

A big selling point for the 1brs for us was that my husband & kids get the space they love and I get the ability to cook breakfast and light meals. Our youngest has autism and is very picky Also I have a medical condition where my diet needs to stay on track.

Cooking breakfast in the room is a no brainer and will work GREAT for us. I'm wondering if coming back to the room for a light lunch/rest is a viable idea if we're staying 8+ days. Just doing this would cut our food budget by a WHOLE lot and we'd all get the rest we need.

My husband isn't sure I'm going to want to be making my own sandwiches and salads on vacation and thinks we'll miss out on park time if we come back to the hotel to eat. I like to put my total needed for vacations in our month budget and I'm making our 2018 budget that includes our 2019 trip so I'm wondering your thoughts.

Thanks!
We always have breakfast and coffee before heading out. We had pasta once for dinner. It wasn't worth the time preparing (for 8 people) and having to do the dishes on vacation.

We usually have breakfast in the room, then often do either lunch or dinner. Often something pretty basic, like grilled cheese sandwiches with some ham or turkey. Sometimes we bake some chicken and some vegetables, things like that.

Not much actual cooking but plenty of "warming up" and snack type items. When we arrive at MCO our first stop is getting the rental car, next stop is Publix! It is enormously cost effective, adds convenience, and generally equal or better food quality. We enjoy the WDW eateries as much as anyone but they do get pricey and sometimes don't meet expectations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter