For those who RECENTLY rented from Alamo @ MCO....

Anytime we have rented in the summer months, we rarely see minivans or SUV's in the other aisles.

The summer months are family travel months so these types of vehicles typically are in high demand in their own category.
There's no need for Alamo to push these vehicles off to the "lesser" aisles since they are selling well in their own category.

You MAY get lucky but it's doubtful in July.

If you absolutely need a Minivan, I would look into reserving one. Prices will be high because demand is high.

Drive Happy deals only guarantee a mid-size vehicle (similar to Nationals Emerald aisle) but quite often there are larger vehicles in the aisle.

So true re vans being scarce in the summer & around the holidays. when we have a late flight the aisles have been especially anemic with lots of jeep whatever SUVs, kias & Hyundais. I was not amused to see a KIA500 on the fullsize aisle this January, wound up taking it at urging of my adult kid along that trip. Wound up having fun tooling around in it to coast & back to MCO but luggage space was dismal.

I have an Altima, to switch things up tend to grab an impala or a focus if I see them. Will be perfectly honest, since we tend to rent cars often, it's more of a matching the seats to the body count we have. Last thing i want to do is spend a half hour roaming around the garage looking for the perfect vehicle.

Will say I'm not a fan of small/Mid size SUVs as we do split trips and i tend to leave a bag in the trunk. Makes me nervous to have stuff in full view in MCO parking lots.

Will say I'm not a fan of small/Mid size SUVs as we do split trips and i tend to leave a bag in the trunk. Makes me nervous to have stuff in full view in MCO parking lots.

That's the reason I absolutely refuse to take SUVs unless they have a trunk cover (and most rental cars don't!). You don't want to know how many of my co-workers over the years have been victims of "smash and grab" in these things!

That's the reason I absolutely refuse to take SUVs unless they have a trunk cover (and most rental cars don't!). You don't want to know how many of my co-workers over the years have been victims of "smash and grab" in these things!

I am not thrilled about the inventory one single bit. It seems like more people are reporting they are seeing SUV's and pickups than cars. I am sure the cars are there but not sounding abundant at all. I don't like the SUVs without a trunk cover at all. I am so afraid I am not going to be happy. I am going to call Alamo and discuss options and get some names. I want to be sure I can still go grab something from National or Enterprise if I am not thrilled with my choices at Alamo. Maybe since I am going at the end of August, it will be much better than I thought. I hope I am panicking for no reason at all. :rolleyes:

I am not thrilled about the inventory one single bit. It seems like more people are reporting they are seeing SUV's and pickups than cars. I am sure the cars are there but not sounding abundant at all. I don't like the SUVs without a trunk cover at all. I am so afraid I am not going to be happy. I am going to call Alamo and discuss options and get some names. I want to be sure I can still go grab something from National or Enterprise if I am not thrilled with my choices at Alamo. Maybe since I am going at the end of August, it will be much better than I thought. I hope I am panicking for no reason at all. :rolleyes:

There's no need to panic or start calling. You just walk over to an attendant, smile and say "I need a car, one with 4 doors" Works every time! You may not have a large selection, but I have always gotten a car!

I think I do panic when it is unnecessary. Also, we have extended our vacation from 7 days....to 10 days...and now we are there for 14 to 15 days. So now I want to be sure I am happy with the car I am stuck with for 2 weeks. Another issue for me is this is our first time flying in on a late flight. We are arriving around 11pm. I know at that hour the selection is limited. The late hours are when the most substitutions of class and type take place because they run out of the most common sizes such as midsize, standard and/or full-size. I know they can send to the other side or the other carriers(National & Enterprise) so I know I have a good chance of getting something I am happy with. :o

I'm confused what options you want. Rental car contracts basically hedge bets to guarantee you a vehicle. If you don't like the options when you get there, then you can try to negotiate.

There are some things you really cannot control with travel. Hertz may be a better option for you as they tend to assign vehicles.

Sounds like you've never had to call Alamo, literally, don't hold your breath:bitelip:. You can call the "407" phone number and hope for the best but I really don't think you will receive any sort of iron clad assurances via a verbal interaction.

I think I do panic when it is unnecessary. Also, we have extended our vacation from 7 days....to 10 days...and now we are there for 14 to 15 days. So now I want to be sure I am happy with the car I am stuck with for 2 weeks. Another issue for me is this is our first time flying in on a late flight. We are arriving around 11pm. I know at that hour the selection is limited. The late hours are when the most substitutions of class and type take place because they run out of the most common sizes such as midsize, standard and/or full-size. I know they can send to the other side or the other carriers(National & Enterprise) so I know I have a good chance of getting something I am happy with. :o

As i stated above, the car selection has been spotty for my late arrivals to MCO. Last flight arrival after 10 pm was mid august on a weekend at last year & we had our pick of small SUVs, all white, mostly jeeps.

Rented a full sized with the hope of getting a minivan. Arrived at MCO at 5:30 pm last week and aisle was full of, you guessed it, full size cars:) I went to the desk and they tried to work a deal for me for a minivan but came out over $150 more so we took the one Camry I saw in the aisle and just squished in. Car drove great and was fine for short trips with our family of 5. Didn't worry about luggage because I had used DME for the bags (as a side note that was AWESOME! I wasn't sure if I was going to end up sending half of us on the bus or not but it was so great not schlepping suitcases all over! And the bags were waiting for us in our room when we got to the resort that night)

So lesson learned, book the car you want don't bet on a free upgrade!

Gotta love it when something works out! We arrive at 10pm next tuesday.. I hope our selection is as good as yours!

Rented a full sized with the hope of getting a minivan. Arrived at MCO at 5:30 pm last week and aisle was full of, you guessed it, full size cars:) I went to the desk and they tried to work a deal for me for a minivan but came out over $150 more so we took the one Camry I saw in the aisle and just squished in. Car drove great and was fine for short trips with our family of 5. Didn't worry about luggage because I had used DME for the bags (as a side note that was AWESOME! I wasn't sure if I was going to end up sending half of us on the bus or not but it was so great not schlepping suitcases all over! And the bags were waiting for us in our room when we got to the resort that night)

Anytime we have rented in the summer months, we rarely see minivans or SUV's in the other aisles.

The summer months are family travel months so these types of vehicles typically are in high demand in their own category.
There's no need for Alamo to push these vehicles off to the "lesser" aisles since they are selling well in their own category.

You MAY get lucky but it's doubtful in July.

If you absolutely need a Minivan, I would look into reserving one. Prices will be high because demand is high.

Drive Happy deals only guarantee a mid-size vehicle (similar to Nationals Emerald aisle) but quite often there are larger vehicles in the aisle.

I wanted to report back that on July 12th at 10:30am we were able to chose from the full size aisle which had 3 mini vans, some SUV's and a pickup truck.

The funny thing is that the mini van we took ended up having a flat tire the next morning. Alamo came and put on the donut tire. We then drove to MK and after that we went to the Alamo car care center where they changed out the rental for a different mini van.

Last edited:
When we recently rented from Alamo at Port Canaveral after a Disney Fantasy cruise, we were given a Hyundai Velostar as a mid-size car. We questioned it, but was told it's considered mid-size. Funny little car -- thankfully there were just two of us, as a third person would have to be a member of Cirque de Soleil to fit in the back seat.

Can someone please confirm that cars are not assigned by Alamo at MCO, choose your own from the aisle?

Come on....lets REVIVE this thread......for those who are back from vacation.....what did you see at Alamo and what did you get ??? I am so curious...the suspense is killing me!!! We arrive on 8/18 at 11pm !!! :eek: I am curious what is going to be available on the full-size aisle that late at night. :laughing:

I am going on Monday..I will be arriving around mid morning.
I will try to take some notes and maybe some pictures for you.
I am so disappointed with this years rates.

I am going on Monday..I will be arriving around mid morning.
I will try to take some notes and maybe some pictures for you.
I am so disappointed with this years rates.

Thanks so much!!! I am arriving next Friday 8/18 at 11pm !! I currently have a standard vehicle reserved from 8/18 - 9/02. I made that reservation a few months ago for $463. I just knew the rates would drop eventually, but it never did. I am beside myself. Have a FABULOUS vacation, and report back when you can of what you saw and what you got. Have a MAGICAL time!!!

I booked a standard car arriving 9/2 @ 11:30p, returning to Disney car Center a week later for only $149. We only need the car for first part of our vacation as we are visiting family upstate for a few days before heading to Disney on the 5th. We are going to take the Magical Express on the 12th. It was more than double to price to keep the rental for the additional 3 days, returning to MCO. Hoping for a mini van, but an Impala will also work!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!