For Pooh sized people thinking about the spa.....

THIS could be the difference. I was on the Wonder. Each one could possibly have different procedures despite being the same company. :confused3

There's no difference between the two ships. We've been sailing on both the Wonder and the Magic since 2002...and they have always ...all but one time...led me to the main dressing room to change into the robe that doesn't close around me. I finally got smart and started to either take the larger robe from the room if we had a suite, or wear a bathing suit.
And, I also go into one of the toilet stalls to change clothes. Not much room to move around in there, but at least I'm not embarrassing myself and everyone around me.

The one time I was told to disrobe in the treatment room was funny. Another female friend and I decided to do a couples' massage because neither of us could convince our husbands to do it with us.
So the ONE TIME I can change in private, they want me to do it with a FRIEND!!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I actually just gave up on the spa altogether and haven't gone on my last 4 cruises. Too expensive and not nearly as relaxing as I'd like it to be.

There's no difference between the two ships.

I didn't think there should be. It woulnd't make sense. But it was the only difference I could see in that instance. ;) Obviously some or us that ahve gone recently are having differnt expereices and it's just weird. You'd think it would be the same. :confused3 Color me confused.

Just in case you don't know....the spa is NOT run by Disney or DCL. It is run by Steiner, a company that does spas on many cruise ships. It's much the same as the art sales companies (they've had 2 of those) or the company that runs Shutters. DCL gets their cut, but the employees work for Steiner and have different schedules, rules, etc. than those who work directly for DCL.

Once again, DCL is very sensitive to the comment sheets and letters they may receive as well as the revenue stream from the spa. Let them know if you are not happy! Let management know, not just the person in the spa (who has no incentive to let DCL know that you're dissatisfied!)

Frankly, I've always found the spa to be overpriced compared to what I can get on land.

I sailed on the Magic in October, and am Pooh-sized (my chest was definitely not going to stay contained in the regular robe!) I just asked the girl for a plus-size robe and they brought me one which fit great. Granted, I had to ask each time I went to the spa, but they brought me one each time with no trouble. It would be much better if you didn't have to request it, though. I'm surprised so many people had trouble even when they asked.

I sailed on the Magic in October, and am Pooh-sized (my chest was definitely not going to stay contained in the regular robe!) I just asked the girl for a plus-size robe and they brought me one which fit great. Granted, I had to ask each time I went to the spa, but they brought me one each time with no trouble. It would be much better if you didn't have to request it, though. I'm surprised so many people had trouble even when they asked.

Evidently, most of the employees are not aware that there are plus sized robes then. :mad:

Evidently, most of the employees are not aware that there are plus sized robes then. :mad:

I wonder if they just got a "man's" robe, in that instance. I wonder if the men's robes are any bigger? But I probably know the anwer to that anyway. My husband and I had a couples massage on a Princess cruise and his robe was way too small. They have you change in a main dressing room, and then go out and sit on little sofas where you can have tea or whatever, while you wait for your treatment. Watching him try to keep his robe together was actually kind of funny...but embarrassing at the same time...and he's what you'd call "normal" size.

Just in case you don't know....the spa is NOT run by Disney or DCL.

We know...a couple of people already posted that on page one, for the people who may not have known.
It makes no difference whatsoever who runs the spa. The main point is that the SPA should be more sensitive to everyone's needs.
But until the spa starts to get boycotted, they won't care, so long as people are still paying.

I've never thought it made much sense to pay the money they charge to have something done that I could have done cheaper at home. BUT....the whole idea of a cruise is to TREAT YOURSELF. Most people don't take time out of their everyday lives to go get a massage, or a pedicure. It fills time on sea days when the pools are crowded and there's not a lot else to do.

Yes they do...BIG TIME. Even if you write on your comment card, "No sales pitch please!" Oh well. I like the prouducts I bought anyway. ;) I just wish I hadn't had to deal w/ that there. I'm a pushover and was already pretty emotionally weak.

That was YOUR experience. We were not hassled at all to buy the products. She told us that if we wanted to purchase them, we could. That's it. It depends on the person you speak with, not the entire staff. Also, there are NO such things as one size fits all. I couldn't get the robe around myself either, but I was brought a larger one that fit just fine, so there are larger robes.

That was YOUR experience.
:confused3 An apparently lots of others as well. I wrote it on my card and they still did it ina big way so I was sharing MY experience. I had read about it before I cruised and it ended up happening to me. I never claimed to speak for others? :confused3 No need to snip.

Also, there are NO such things as one size fits all. I couldn't get the robe around myself either, but I was brought a larger one that fit just fine, so there are larger robes.
Um yeah, I think I know that. And if the attendant that brings me to the room doesn't offer me a larger one when I ask, how the heck am I supposed to know. :confused: Apparently some employees don't know so my complaint IS valid.
No need to be defensive. If you weren't being, it came across that way.

Hmmmm....this thread has me worried.:worried: I am super pooh sized gal and have several spa treatments booked for my first ever cruise. I've only ever had one spa treatment before and that was at the GF Spa and it was fantastic and they were VERY accommodating and sensitive to my pooh size. I was hoping the cruise would be the same. Now I'm not sure if I should cancel the treatments or risk it.:(

:confused3 An apparently lots of others as well. I wrote it on my card and they still did it ina big way so I was sharing MY experience. I had read about it before I cruised and it ended up happening to me. I never claimed to speak for others? :confused3 No need to snip.

Um yeah, I think I know that. And if the attendant that brings me to the room doesn't offer me a larger one when I ask, how the heck am I supposed to know. :confused: Apparently some employees don't know so my complaint IS valid.
No need to be defensive. If you weren't being, it came across that way.

Calm down. Nobody was being snippy. It's all about how you choose to take things. I choose not to get upset about a robe and spa thread. I typed "your" in caps because you didn't specify that this was only your experience and that it may not be that way for others. My 1st sentence was directed at you, but the rest was for informational purposes. Can't we all just get along? :confused3

Calm down. Nobody was being snippy. It's all about how you choose to take things. I choose not to get upset about a robe and spa thread. I typed "your" in caps because you didn't specify that this was only your experience and that it may not be that way for others. My 1st sentence was directed at you, but the rest was for informational purposes. Can't we all just get along? :confused3

I think I could have read the word "your" without caps. Caps are like "screaming" in the internet world. A sales pitch has evidently been the experience of MANY cruisers because I read it quite a bit before cruising and that some wrote on their comment cards before their treatment not to sell and for them, it had been met w/ mixed results even then. That's how I knew to write it on mine. I read enough about the hard sell before our cruise that I had cancelled my first reservation because I didn't want to deal with it. I changed my mind while in tears on board needing a break. I thought a spa that was on a Disney ship would have been carefully selected to accommodate guests better than most. they might be better than most but it was clearly a humiliating experience for me.

The comment about one size fits all I don't understand where it came from and you didn't say it wasn't directed at me when your first sentence clearly was. I don't think anyone thinks that is the case so I don't understand why you said it other than to say you were able to get a larger robe. Apparently it's not well known among the spa employees.

I'm happy to get along and I prefer it, I just don't take kindly to people trying to invalidate my experiences which is what it read to me like (with CAPS). We all have different ones and that's fine and normal.

Peace.:flower3:

I don't know. Your post sounded pretty snippy to me, as well. I don't think the OP was imagining that.

Sayhello

I agree....I don't think the CAPS were necessary.

And I have to add....I've been to the spa many, many times and have written on my form "No Sales Please" and every single time, they still do it.

From what I've read on these Boards, and I've been on them since 2002....almost every person who reports in has said that the sales pitch is tried on them regardless of what they've written on their form.

I was having my hair done one time, and the guy was trying to sell me hand lotion!:rotfl::rotfl:

To Stephanie....I wanted to tell you thank you for starting this thread. When I first read it, I thought to myself that I should have posted this info a long time ago. It just seems I get back from my cruise and am so busy, I tend to not think about it again.
So thanks for forewarning people!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

To Stephanie....I wanted to tell you thank you for starting this thread. When I first read it, I thought to myself that I should have posted this info a long time ago. It just seems I get back from my cruise and am so busy, I tend to not think about it again.
So thanks for forewarning people!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Thanks Stace! Same here as far as busy goes! It's been since mid Nov. and it only occured me NOW. ;) You know how it is, the more time you have to reflect, the more you wonder...wha? Did that happen? Why did I not say anything? I already felt like a cow walking in there, so it was just humliating to have gone through the situation. The facial itself was great though I would have liked to have been able to breathe w/o my chest in my neck.:thumbsup2 You'd think they'd see that.:rolleyes1 :laughing:

Pooh-sized people often suffer in silence, so I just thought I'd share what I experienced.

THANKS for the poster that gave the link to the ownership. I did write. ;)

I'd like to add to this, too.

What about those NARROW tables??? I never know where to put my arms. My body takes up the whole table, leaving my arms to dangle off the sides.

Now...that's not just a spa problem....it's whoever makes the darn tables. I just finished up physical therapy, and their tables were the same way.
:mad::mad::mad:

I'd like to add to this, too.

What about those NARROW tables??? I never know where to put my arms. My body takes up the whole table, leaving my arms to dangle off the sides.

Now...that's not just a spa problem....it's whoever makes the darn tables. I just finished up physical therapy, and their tables were the same way.
:mad::mad::mad:
Oh yeah! I forgot about that. :rolleyes1I just tucked my hands up under my hiney to hold my arms in place. Fun stuff.:banana:

I think I could have read the word "your" without caps. Caps are like "screaming" in the internet world. A sales pitch has evidently been the experience of MANY cruisers because I read it quite a bit before cruising and that some wrote on their comment cards before their treatment not to sell and for them, it had been met w/ mixed results even then. That's how I knew to write it on mine. I read enough about the hard sell before our cruise that I had cancelled my first reservation because I didn't want to deal with it. I changed my mind while in tears on board needing a break. I thought a spa that was on a Disney ship would have been carefully selected to accommodate guests better than most. they might be better than most but it was clearly a humiliating experience for me.

The comment about one size fits all I don't understand where it came from and you didn't say it wasn't directed at me when your first sentence clearly was. I don't think anyone thinks that is the case so I don't understand why you said it other than to say you were able to get a larger robe. Apparently it's not well known among the spa employees.

I'm happy to get along and I prefer it, I just don't take kindly to people trying to invalidate my experiences which is what it read to me like (with CAPS). We all have different ones and that's fine and normal.

Peace.:flower3:

Ok

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter