For First Purchase - BRV or AKV?

Methos

Earning My Ears
We are nearing our first DVC purchase via resale. Our favorite resort is BRV, however it's been suggested that we look at AKV for a contact which has just slightly higher $/Pt, but AKV is a wise financial decision due to it has 15 additional years for expiration. That being said, we really want to take advantage of our annual 8 day stay the third week in January. So it comes down to what risk do we take of trying to book a deluxe studio at BRV at 7 months. From the research I've found, it seems this can be very spotty. So do we take the better financial deal over the assurance of home field advantage?

We don't have to stay at BRV every year, but would like it at least every other. Any suggestions or tips are much appreciated. We have a family of 5.

Since they increased the occupancy of studios at BRV they have gotten more difficult to book at 7 months. If you have a fixed time and know where you really want to stay I'd recommend the BRV contract. Now if you were looking at 1BR's at either resort it would probably be fine to buy somewhere else. Though AKV has 15 more years you should be able to find a BRV contract that costs a little less up front. And as auroraborealis mentioned if you had to stay at AKV you'd have to move up to a 1BR with a family of 5 so you'd need more points. I don't know if there is savings for you at AKV over BRV because of the occupancy and the very real possibility you wouldn't get a BRV studio at 7 months but you would have a longer contract.

We now own at both BRV and AKL admittedly, but when we first joined DVC, we bought at BRV: simply put, its our favorite and we wanted home priority, as well as the option of studios that sleep 5 (have 3 beds). That mattered more to us than the longer expiration. We did a mix of direct and resale, which made it financially more feasible, too.

We of course then added on to AKL later, as it is our second favorite resort, and we decided we’d like to be able to go at least twice a year.

Thanks for the responses and input.

I should have added - we go twice per year. Third week in January with 5 of us (need a studio that sleeps 5) and my wife and I only for a few days in September. I am leaning towards BRV due to the studios seem to book pretty heavily before 7 months, and above everything else, that is where we want to be during the January visits.

Thanks again.

I’d go with BRV. If you don’t and struggle, you will have frustrations and regrets.

DVC is too expensive to go with a home resort that isn’t your first choice.

Will you be happy cramming 5 people in a studio over the long term? As our kids are getting older (and bigger), I find even 5 in a 1BR sometimes feels crowded.

It is cramped, however we only stay in the room for sleeping basically. I probably will have to upgrade to a 1 Bedroom at some point. We rented points for a 1 Bed at Old Key West a few years ago, and it was very nice.

The gondolas are an absolute gamechanger for me.. If you think AK is getting gondolas, as has been speculated, that might be in this discussion for you and what you value.

I would have bought AK, if I planned to hold DVC long enough to see the gondolas.

Oh, and I'd never cram 5 into a BRV studio anyway. That sounds like a miserable 7 days once your kids are out of the pack n play.

AKV is a wise financial decision

"Buy where you want to stay." If you are okay randomly ending up at resorts thats fine though.

If you plan on making AKV your actual home then its wise to stay there at least once. Check out what the busses are for a full stay and the issues some seem to have (it completely took it off our list because of busses and not wanting to uber/lyft the whole trip).

The gondolas are an absolute gamechanger for me.. If you think AK is getting gondolas, as has been speculated, that might be in this discussion for you and what you value.

I would have bought AK, if I planned to hold DVC long enough to see the gondolas.

Except here is the issue:
  • Bus service to AK Park is already very quick so the skyliner wouldn't add that much for speed
  • The skyliner would not go directly from AKV to HS
  • You are looking at a Skyliner route of AKV->AK->CS->HS->CB->EP (it would be like 30-40 mins to HS and then another 20-30 mins to Epcot)
It sounds great and was something I was excited for originally until I thought about the actual setup.

BRV is scheduled for a full refurbishment soon. I cannot wait for the new rooms, fingers crossed for the Murphy bed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter