For Disney Regs. Any noticeable changes in meal quality for any reataurants?

I totally agree with you UncleR. I think I understand some of the impetus behind smaller portions, though. And I don't think it really has to do with healthy choices. To begin with, larger portions usually translate into "take home" meals at a local restaurant. At WDW, most of us don't have the luxury of a DVC dwelling so "take home" becomes wasted food. Also, with the DDP, patrons eat 3 courses at a TS restaurant. There's no reason for a huge entree to exist when patrons have 2 other courses to consider. So restaurants cut back on the entree that many (if not most) Americans order - beef.

The above scenario is all well and good for the DDP patron. The price is fair even if the portions are small. But for those people who are not on the dining plan (and does anyone know what percentage of a restaurant's patrons ARE on the dining plan?) the portions are dreadfully small (and according to some/many, the quality compromised) when priced using the "rack rates" posted on the menus. And that's what those prices have become - rack rates. They don't indicate true value of the meal. They indicate what it costs if you don't have a "discount" - i.e., the DDP.

For many of us, we wouldn't order a 3 course meal at a table service restaurant. My DH would but I would usually have a bit of his appetizer and my entree. I'd virtually never have a dessert. I'd have more than enough to eat with a full priced entree. After walking for hours in the park, it was enough to eat comfortably. Now, however, I need that appetizer (probably not the dessert) and DH wants the dessert to round out his meal. That translates into alot more money for the average WDW patron who is not on the DDP. And when you look at the quantity/quality verses the price, it's not worth it.

As far as a smaller menu is concerned, many restaurants have downsized menus with several very intricate entrees as their showcases. They haven't downsized to include X amount of beef entrees, X amount of chicken, X amount of fish, etc. They've juiced up the entrees they serve so that they are masterpieces when presented, full of unusual flavors and preparations. That's not what's happening at WDW. They've taken off the intricately prepared items, standardized alot of dishes and portion controlled the best sellers.

I look at all of these factors when I judge a restaurant. I don't just look at taste. I look at price as compared to intricacy of preparation, quality of ingredients, ambiance AND taste. And while size is a factor, it's not usually a biggie on my scale. But it has become a bigger factor at WDW because they've trimmed their offerings and scaled down their preparations. Size only matters when the food is lacking for me. Again, I stress, for me. A richly prepared meal more than compensates for a smaller piece of meat. I'm not seeing the former and seeing too much of the latter these days at WDW.

JMHO.

I agree, I think that 'Ohana and some of the others are just overpricing themselves!! It wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't also implemented the 9 & over is an adult, that's ridiculous! I mean, neither one of my girls eats $30 worth of food a one meal. Heck, they don't eat $30 worth of food in a week. :). I'm now rethinking my ADRs, it's not like we HAVE to do characters, we have done them so many times that the kids don't feel the need, but I like the food at places like 1900 PF and Cape May, why do they have to charge so much? I'd rather pay a per meal charge instead of an all you can eat price!

I have to disagree, in the case of 'Ohana, at least.

$30 would include tax and soft drink.

Don't forget, it's AYCE. And, it's not typical "buffet" filler food -it's decent stuff. And, it's multi-courses - you get bread, salad, apps, entree, and dessert.

Add on the fact that there is entertainment, and that it's at the Poly, and I think $30 is a fair value.

YMMV.

And when you look at the quantity/quality verses the price, it's not worth it.

I don't agree with this. Are the prices higher than a comparable restaurant in the city? A little bit (and I mean just a little bit). The quality is not that bad. The meals are competently prepared with good ingredients. Is it a top end dining experience? No. But then, with a few exceptions (CG, AP, not to mention V&A), you're not really paying top end prices. $14-18 for a fish entree is reasonable these days.

As far as a smaller menu is concerned, many restaurants have downsized menus with several very intricate entrees as their showcases. They haven't downsized to include X amount of beef entrees, X amount of chicken, X amount of fish, etc. They've juiced up the entrees they serve so that they are masterpieces when presented, full of unusual flavors and preparations. That's not what's happening at WDW. They've taken off the intricately prepared items, standardized alot of dishes and portion controlled the best sellers.

I'm of two minds about this. It's true when you consider the "standard" restaurants. The menu at FF is too similar to others. There's no character at these places anymore and no reason to select FF over another place other than convenience of location. On the other hand, the WS restaurants offer quite a bit of variety.

The topic of portion sizes has come up quite a bit and I'm stunned! I don't know if they've actually gotten smaller over the years but if they have, I'm applauding. We had trouble finishing our entrees at Brown Derby on Saturday at lunch . . . didn't have dessert, didn't have appetizers.

Finally, and I don't mean to sound like a snob here, it's a great thing that more people are able to experience TS at Disney . . . provided the menus don't get homogenized to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Maybe the CM can get someone to try that asian tuna dish they otherwise would pass by. That's a great thing. Maybe, just maybe, taste buds can be educated and the quality of the dinner table at home will improve. It might be a pipe dream but Disney has an opportunity here. I know that's not their primary goal but it would be a fantastic side effect.

I have to disagree, in the case of 'Ohana, at least.

$30 would include tax and soft drink.

Don't forget, it's AYCE. And, it's not typical "buffet" filler food -it's decent stuff. And, it's multi-courses - you get bread, salad, apps, entree, and dessert.

Add on the fact that there is entertainment, and that it's at the Poly, and I think $30 is a fair value.

YMMV.

$30 for a 9 year old child that eats a normal amount is excessive in my book.

I think as with everything there are multiple sides to this question.

Has dining at Disney changed over the last two years.

Clearly, the answer is yes.

How that change effects you determines if the changes are positive or negative.

Many Disney restaurants have always been expensive for what you get - Pasta at Tony's has always been (IMHO) excessively priced for what you get. And Sci Fi has always charged sit down prices for their burger and fries (as compared to counter service).

My family has not noticed a major decline over the last two years. Le Cellier is still wonderful - the issue of the tables being close together is an old one - but the filet is still melt in your mouth tender. Ohana has not suffered in quality or quantity (the shrimp are large and flavourful - it may be a different preparation but it is still the same product).

Changes, yes, but a major slide to mediocrity - no.

No. But then, with a few exceptions (CG, AP, not to mention V&A), you're not really paying top end prices. $14-18 for a fish entree is reasonable these days.

I don't disagree with this statement at all except that at many 1TS restaurants, a fish entree runs between $20 - $29. Check out Chef de France, Coral Reef, Le Cellier's dinner menus among others. At the lesser priced 1TS restaurants, fish entrees are running about $20.

And I'm actually not complaining about fish entrees. I found my fish to be plentiful and tastefully done. I'm finding the biggest problem with beef (which is my husband's viande of choice).

Princess we'll have agree to disagree as I've noticed changes so significant we're now eating at WDW on rare occasions as opposed to regular. Loss of items on every menu I can think of. But again I'm only thinking of the Signatures ... Although Le Cellier certainly has reduced their options, as well.

Re: 'Ohana, $30 may seem reasonable to some but it was 19.99 just a short few years ago and the menu and drink offerings have gotten worse not better. :confused3

Its a very gradual downturn, but its there. The main thing I've noticed (like the above poster said) is fewer menu choices, fewer quality items, and the two specific things I've noticed a decline in are the meats and (believe it or not) produce. I had to cut spots off my tomato the other day, LOL!

If you go regularly, it will take you a while to say "hey, this isn't the same as it used to be", but if you haven't been since, say, 2004 or so, you'll probably notice right away.

As one who has been dining at WDW table service restaurants regularly for decades, the observations I quoted above are 100% correct.

We started noticing changes as far back as 2005. Disney TS locations are beginning to look like your local Bennigans, TGIFridays, Olive Garden, etc. instead of being the unique experience they once were.

As for the comments about letting Disney know you're unhappy with the changes, I don't think they do any good. I have filled out surveys for my last 6 trips and have singled out the disappointing dining experiences in each one. I have also done separate emails, with no results. I seriously don't think they care, as long as the $$ keep rolling in. We now dine off property or at counter service venues more than we used to. It's a shame.

DD has started a new game at WDW - find the menu that doesn't have Penne Pasta on it.

We've been visiting & dining at WDW since the late 70's. We have witnessed great strides made in the dining offerings and quality during the 80's and 90's. The improvements in counter service foods have been considerable. But in the last 4 years or so, we've noticed a downturn in quality at table service restaurants. Especially in the Epcot restaurants. I agree, there are fewer quality items offered & the quality of some items has declined. Why is it happening? Anyone's guess is as good as mine. But it is a disappointment to us.

Re: 'Ohana, $30 may seem reasonable to some but it was 19.99 just a short few years ago and the menu and drink offerings have gotten worse not better. :confused3

For my first on site trip, I remember that Ohana was $22.99 in Feb 05.

$22.99 to $25.99 in 2 years is not a huge difference in price. Especially now that the meal includes a full dessert.

And as a comparison, gas was 60 cents a litre (cdn) and now is usually around the $1 per litre price. That is a huge increase.

And I just can't buy the signature restaurant decline is due solely to the DDP. Restaurants like Coral Reef, Le Cellier or other high end 1 credit meals, to a large extent any changes (positive or negative) can probably be at least partly attributed to the DDP simply due to higher patronage.

But how many people use the DDP for the higher end 2 credit restaurants (other than the perennial favourite - California Grill)? Is it possible that the decline is due to DDP people not partronizing these restaurants? That the restaurants need to make changes to bring these restaurants in line (profit wise) with the DDP 1 credit restaurants?

And I just can't buy the signature restaurant decline is due solely to the DDP. Restaurants like Coral Reef, Le Cellier or other high end 1 credit meals, to a large extent any changes (positive or negative) can probably be at least partly attributed to the DDP simply due to higher patronage.

But how many people use the DDP for the higher end 2 credit restaurants (other than the perennial favourite - California Grill)? Is it possible that the decline is due to DDP people not partronizing these restaurants? That the restaurants need to make changes to bring these restaurants in line (profit wise) with the DDP 1 credit restaurants?

The key thing is that the Signature restaurants do not operate in a book-keeping vacuum. In a company such as Disney, it would be Food & Beverage Sales. It may be further broken into Resort F&B and Theme Park F&B - but the usual & expected business model would include all food & beverage locations, not each one individually. So, if Disney is taking a hit on 1 credit TS, it will effect the bottom line of the whole F&B division. Cost cutting measures would take place across the board to compensate for loss in revenue.

Also, I did ask a serious question earlier in this thread which I worry from comments made is being construed as an attack. It was not asked as an attack, but as a very serious question.

Finally, I have also seen comments about how busy the restaurants are so food quality must be good. Again, serious question:
Just because Olive Garden has higher sales does that mean it's better quality than, say, The French Laundry? I don't think so. Logic is faulty. Has Disney made Dining more accessible to the Masses? Yes - like Olive Garden it has. Does that equate to better food? No, it does not. It equates to more accessible food to the general population.

Am I a Foodie? Why, yes I am. I went to college for Hotel & Restaurant Management, I trained in a Top Kitchen with a Top Chef. Several of my former colleagues have gone on to write top selling cookbooks, host Food Network shows & compete in Iron Chef competitions. Food is my life.That's not said to be snobby, that's said to give some prespective on what my dining expectations are. I do not want filler for my gullet. I want food that Inspires me, Transports me, that makes me Swoon. I dine at Disney Signature restaurants with Signature price tags that I pay OOP. I expect the same or better quality dining experiences each time I go. I expect a Creative & Technical meal for that cash outlay & for the spin Disney does on these restaurants.

I used to get that at Disney. Over the past several years, that dining quality has become elusive, no matter how packed the restaurants may be. It is disappointing and a bit insulting to be given an inferior quality experience for the same & usually,greater cost.

Just to re-iterate - I am not insulting anyone, that is not my intent. I am not passing any kind of judgement on those who use the dining plan. I am not saying Disney isn't raking in the bucks on the DDP, obviously they feel it is a wise business decision. I am saying & I stand by it - that the Disney Dining experience has declined substantially.

I'm not sure what my point is exactly, but Disney restaurants (at least the Signature spots) have little room to get any leaner-- menu or portion wise.
While I think Disney's restaurants are now pretty close to the number of menu choices that experts in the restaurant industry have been recommending for years, I think there are still a lot of places that serve portions that are much larger than they need to be.

It is disappointing and a bit insulting to be given an inferior quality experience for the same & usually,greater cost.
I think a lot of folks miss the boat with regard to pricing, because they fail to factor in the appropriate premiums (1) for the convenience of serving a meal inside the theme park or inside the hotel, and (2) to account for the fact that diners are a captive market. While guests may not like paying for either of these things, the fact is that they are the reality, and they legitimately justify substantial pricing premiums.

I have no problem with pricing premiums. I have problems with declining food variety, slipshod service (which I have not received though others have noted it with regularity) and badly prepared food. High pricing does not have to coexist with the above mentioned negatives.

I think a lot of folks miss the boat with regard to pricing, because they fail to factor in the appropriate premiums (1) for the convenience of serving a meal inside the theme park or inside the hotel, and (2) to account for the fact that diners are a captive market. While guests may not like paying for either of these things, the fact is that they are the reality, and they legitimately justify substantial pricing premiums.

Nope - Not missing the boat at all - I have some idea about market, demographics etc from my college days. I comparing the Dining Experience at Specific WDW venues now vs. about 4 years ago. I am paying a higher amount of money for the same meal at the same restaurant (when it's even still available) and getting an Inferior Quality Experience. That is what is insulting & disappointing. Perhaps my phrasing wasn't crystal clear enough.

But, since you bought it up - Should a Captive Audience be offered an inferior quality experience because they are Captive? Not according to Walt Disney's philosophy & standards.

Why not? Just imagine how much more expensive meals would be if Disney didn't streamline its second-level dining options. The measures Disney dining has taken directly speaks to the demands of many many guests for more affordable dining at WDW. Prices would have been a lot higher if they were providing substantially higher value.

I am pretty new to the DIS and I just don't get it.

People upset about the overall quality at Disney. Food, Rooms, Views, Cost, Crowds. Yes we can all agree that cost is up, product and service is down. Why do we spend are valuable time discussing it here when the DIS can't change a thing. Spend half as much time contacting Disney and maybe things could change.

The Tiger guy makes headlines and Disney is receiving hundreds of emails a day about his fate. Disney makes some poor Corporate decisions that affects all of their Guests and we just accept it.

If we don't speak, we will never be heard. :grouphug:

It seems to me that you are suggesting that we be grateful for whatever we get because we're at WDW. I find that very difficult to swallow (pun intended). If there were no DDP, can you honestly say that these restaurants would be patronized? The regulars aren't happy with the quality vis-a-vis the pricing and the DDP patrons wouldn't exist.

Well, since it exists, we'll make due. Either hop on the plan, eat CS or eat offsite. Unfortunately, for us alot of the magic is gone and we'll be looking at alternate venues as vacation options. I know that doesn't matter to WDW at the moment but if quality continues to decline, rest assured that people on the DDP will no longer patron these restaurants either. But we'll see what evolves as time goes on. Life is always a changing experience and I don't mind change. I just won't get ripped off bowing to it.

I did apologize in advance for the sarcasm. If you wish, I'll remove it from my message completely. I'm sorry you were upset by what I wrote.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter