"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

We always drive to WDW from Montreal, QC. We usually leave around 1pm and drive without stopping. Our favourite route is I-81/Highway 15/I-270/I-95 unless there's snow in the forecast then we would take I-87/I-95. For our next trip, we are leaving on Dec 26th and we are more exhausted than usual this year so we decided to stop for 1 night. Our first day, we plan to leave around 5-6am and drive to Rocky Mount, NC (13h drive). What kind of traffic should we expect around Washington (both routes) and NYC & NJ (if we choose I-87/I-95) on Monday Dec 26th? We have a NY E-Z Pass for tolls.

Dec 26th is a statutary holiday for many here so traffic is usually light but we wonder what to expect in the USA. We should be around NYC late morning and Washington late afternoon.

We always drive to WDW from Montreal, QC. We usually leave around 1pm and drive without stopping. Our favourite route is I-81/Highway 15/I-270/I-95 unless there's snow in the forecast then we would take I-87/I-95. For our next trip, we are leaving on Dec 26th and we are more exhausted than usual this year so we decided to stop for 1 night. Our first day, we plan to leave around 5-6am and drive to Rocky Mount, NC (13h drive). What kind of traffic should we expect around Washington (both routes) and NYC & NJ (if we choose I-87/I-95) on Monday Dec 26th? We have a NY E-Z Pass for tolls.

Dec 26th is a statutary holiday for many here so traffic is usually light but we wonder what to expect in the USA. We should be around NYC late morning and Washington late afternoon.
I can't help you around DC, but back when I commuted into NYC from NJ, the week between Christmas and New Year traffic was nonexistent.

I would think that traffic will be extremely light on 12/26. Schools are closed and because Christmas falls on a Sunday, many companies will be closed on Monday as their observed Holiday.

Only thing I can think of might be extra traffic near Malls /Shopping Centers off of I-95. Since Christmas is on a Sunday, a lot of people will be off .Nothing like a normal Monday

No Schools open, Monday after a holiday so limited work traffic, hopefully no road repairs due to the extreme cold weather should provide clear roads. Bring some blankets in the car should you have to stop for any reason.
Enjoy your trip and holiday.

Hi everyone, I guess it is time for me to join this thread :) I have flown to WDW for many years but with the cost of rental cars and now that we do longer trips offsite, it makes more sense to drive. I like having my van and my stuff now.

It’s a 17.5 hr drive for us straight shot down I75. We have done it twice now (October and December) and both times just focused on driving. We did really like stopping at Buc-ees lol so that’s been a highlight for us and I try to stop there whenever possible. However for both those trips we had several drivers.

Our trip next week is just DH and I so driving straight through is not an option and I don’t like night time driving.

I have 3 nights set aside to make the drive (just in case) and am now thinking of moseying along more. Any suggestions of attractions along I75 that may be worth a stop?

I am considering stopping in Knoxville (so 8hrs) one night and Macon (4.5hrs) or Tifton (6hrs) the next night (depending how the drive goes).

I’m thinking of spending our 3rd night near the Weeki Wachi Springs (I’d love to see the mermaids lol) and also maybe kayak one of Florida’s springs so I can look for manatees. And perhaps a visit to Clearwater Beach since I’d be close by.

A little out of your way BUT, If you want to see Manatees You have to go to Blue Spring state park Just north of Orlando in Orange City. Fabulous park and there is a board walk to a grotto for viewing. There is a daily manatee count when you drive in................It is a winter refuge for the manatees with waters at 72 degrees. Lots of other wild life there as well. Pack a lunch. This is a great picnic spot.

Hi everyone, I guess it is time for me to join this thread :) I have flown to WDW for many years but with the cost of rental cars and now that we do longer trips offsite, it makes more sense to drive. I like having my van and my stuff now.

I’m thinking of spending our 3rd night near the Weeki Wachi Springs (I’d love to see the mermaids lol) and also maybe kayak one of Florida’s springs so I can look for manatees. And perhaps a visit to Clearwater Beach since I’d be close by.
You can actually rent kayaks right at Weeki Wachi State Park to kayak down the river. Then they bring you right back to the park. I've had manatees swimming right alongside my kayak a few times! You need to book them online because they do sell out.

There is a Fairfield Inn and a Holiday Inn (both new) on Cortez Blvd (sr 50) near the park. I would not stay at the motels on 19 near it.

A little out of your way BUT, If you want to see Manatees You have to go to Blue Spring state park Just north of Orlando in Orange City. Fabulous park and there is a board walk to a grotto for viewing. There is a daily manatee count when you drive in................It is a winter refuge for the manatees with waters at 72 degrees. Lots of other wild life there as well. Pack a lunch. This is a great picnic spot.

You can actually rent kayaks right at Weeki Wachi State Park to kayak down the river. Then they bring you right back to the park. I've had manatees swimming right alongside my kayak a few times! You need to book them online because they do sell out.

There is a Fairfield Inn and a Holiday Inn (both new) on Cortez Blvd (sr 50) near the park. I would not stay at the motels on 19 near it.

I found I can actually SWIM with manatees in Crystal River, right near Weeki Wachi Springs and Blue Springs. So that’s now high on my list.

I could rent a kayak for $45 and bring my own wetsuit and swim with the manatees. But DH isn’t super comfortable with that as I’ll be myself. Worried I won’t be able to pull myself back on the kayak lol. I’m not a spring chicken anymore haha.

So he’s encouraging me to pay $70 for a boat tour to snorkel with the manatees.

I tend to like independent outings especially since I am obsessed with kayaking/canoeing (and to save money)but he has some very good points.

I did the 17hr drive in just 2 days!! I was shocked the first day when I made it to Chattanooga 9.5hrs away the first day. That’s the furthest I have ever driven in one day (I’m not the greatest long distance driver).

My secret this trip was audiobooks from my library. I have tried them before but still got sleepy. This time I chose action and adventure stories (like a recreation of the original radio drama War of the Worlds) and that kept me going.

I had all kinds of fun stops planned, but the weather turned bad this week and it rained all day Thursday. Today was better but overcast and chilly all day. I did stop at Lane’s Southern Orchards - their peach cobbler was REALLY good! And their beef brisket grilled cheese was delish!

I had considered stopping in Nashville, St Augustine, Knoxville (Museum of the Appalachians) but weather was crappy everywhere this weekend. So I ended up heading straight to Crystal River to swim with manatees :) Apparently when the weather is cold, they gather in the warmer springs.

I booked with SeaDaddys this afternoon and it will be just $45 to go on one of their discounted swim with manatees tours. Other tours range from $55 to $75 so I am pleased with the price.

It’s going to be COLD tomorrow for my 8am tour but super excited. And it just so happens Jan 14/15 is the Manatee Fest here in Crystal River so tomorrow should be loads of fun. Plus they are offering a $10 guided kayak tour for 1 hr and I signed up too.

Going to spend two nights here and then amble along to Orlando stopping at the Weeki Wachi Springs and maybe Clearwater Beach.

Having all these stops makes the idea of this crazy drive way more desirable. Not as easy to do when you’re flying.

With the I95 construction in NC and the horrible traffic you can run in to at the bottom of SC, should you just plan on taking alternate routes when coming from the NE. Going I81-I77-I26 will add an hour to the trip (under perfect conditions) but you will still need to deal with SC and Charlotte. Out last trip through NC felt like it would never end. We left Long Island around 4:30am and stopped in Savannah which we did not arrive until after 9pm.
The only plus was the NC traffic delayed us enough the SC traffic had mostly cleared by the time we got to SC/GA border.

Edit to add: we did the drive South the Wed after Christmas so traffic was heavier than it would normally be with snow birds heading south. The drive South last August was not as bad but was still slow in NC.

5091C063-E0AB-4D2A-915A-AB7C035942C1.jpeg
When we lived in Pa., and the days of our driving trips which were more than it should have been lol, I made this chart. We lived about five miles from the I78, Pa, Nj. boarder. In early 2021, I made the drive myself five times as we were moving from Pa. to Fl. I usually could out drive these times. The times include stopping for gas and hitting the welcome centers and a drive thru.
Just a little insight, I was in sales and drove 50,60 k a year so I could drive long distances without a problem. I spent most my life behind the wheel. A few people here have used my chart and for the most part were able to hit it the same way. We would leave Pa at 3am, which got me into the mountains of Virginia before rush hour. I would use the “fast pass, Genie plus” lol lanes through Charlotte Nc.
We would stop over night right before the Florida welcome center. We would hit the road at 3am again the following day which got me through Jax. with no traffic staying on I95. We would take rt417 around Orlando. Take 417 to the end. Don’t take the Disney exits. When you take it to the end it will literally drop you off on World Drive. You don’t have to fight the traffic in and around property.
I still use rt417 a lot.
I haven’t done this drive in over a year so if there are any major construction, try to time your trip hitting those areas at night if possible.

BTW - swimming with manatees was AMAZING!!!

View attachment 732392

Totally worth a detour to Crystal River in the winter.

View attachment 732393
I wouldn’t mind swimming with the manatees, it’s all the other things you swim with in Florida waters that makes me keep my toes on land. Lol. We will have to make our way there one day, it looks amazing.

This thread has been quiet these days…
We are planning our 11th drive down from Montreal in a couple of weeks. Our last road trip was three years ago so it’s been a while! We are going to try to do it without an overnight stop for the first time, leaving on a Friday night (2 drivers). Since we’ll be travelling on the weekend, we’ll be going down I-95 all the way (did that the last time and it’s much quicker, especially with the EZpass Express lanes).
Any tips for driving straight through are very appreciated:drive:
Here’s to hoping the weather will co-operate and we won’t get too much traffic/construction on the road!

This thread has been quiet these days…
We are planning our 11th drive down from Montreal in a couple of weeks. Our last road trip was three years ago so it’s been a while! We are going to try to do it without an overnight stop for the first time, leaving on a Friday night (2 drivers). Since we’ll be travelling on the weekend, we’ll be going down I-95 all the way (did that the last time and it’s much quicker, especially with the EZpass Express lanes).
Any tips for driving straight through are very appreciated:drive:
Here’s to hoping the weather will co-operate and we won’t get too much traffic/construction on the road!
I am trying to talk my Wife into the idea of driving straight thru from Iowa, 18 hours but so far no luck. It would increase our park days by 1 so maybe that will work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter