"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

Anyone driving from the Northeast have any ideas of how much time it takes to get through each state? We are driving from south Jersey. Just curious of the times per each state. Thanks!

The above estimates given by MikeF;NJ are still pretty good.

I leave early AM so I miss any traffic in the DC area, and it allows me to just stay on 95 the whole way. Between that and my heavy foot, my times may be a little less than average, saving maybe 15-30 minutes on each of the longer segments.

Back when I was a teen, we used to drive from Elizabeth, NJ to Naples, FL round-trip twice a year. Take these times with a grain of salt, because I think some of them are quicker now, but I haven't made this drive in years (decades).
(Pretty much all I-95 from NJ to FL.)
Elizabeth, NJ to the NJ/DE border -- about 2 hours (100 miles down the turnpike.)
DE - MD, about 15 - 20 minutes
MD - VA, about 2 hours, we took the eastern side of the beltway around DC. I've since driven the western side once, but the eastern side still seems quicker to me.
VA - NC, about 3 hours - this is before the 295 beltway around the Richmond - Petersburg area, so that may be a quicker route, but I have no experience here.
NC - SC, about 3 hours.
SC - GA, about 3 hours.
GA - FL, about 2 hours.
FL - Naples, about 6 3/4 hours. We used to get off I4 at state route 27, which is about 30 minutes past Disney. If I had to guess, I'd say 3 to 3 1/2 hours from the FL border to Disney, but that's just a guess.

From what I've read elsewhere, the trip can be made about an hour or so faster now then what I have above. The last two trips I made, I cut the driving at the DC area and took the Auto Train, so I have no recent experience with anything between the DC area and Sanford, FL.

Hope this helps.

As one who has done the drive from NJ to WDW 46 times from 2002-2017, MikeF;NJ's times are quite similar to ours.

Remember to avoid metro areas (especially southern MD and northern VA) at rush hour.

All the best! :thumbsup2

The above estimates given by MikeF;NJ are still pretty good.

I leave early AM so I miss any traffic in the DC area, and it allows me to just stay on 95 the whole way. Between that and my heavy foot, my times may be a little less than average, saving maybe 15-30 minutes on each of the longer segments.

Thanks all! I was just curious on the times for each state so I have something to go on when the kids start asking “Are We There Yet?” Lol! We are planning on leaving NJ at 3am. We live about 30 mins from the DE Memorial Bridge. It will be the Friday after Thanksgiving so hoping traffic won’t be crazy since it’s a holiday.

Thanks all! I was just curious on the times for each state so I have something to go on when the kids start asking “Are We There Yet?” Lol! We are planning on leaving NJ at 3am. We live about 30 mins from the DE Memorial Bridge. It will be the Friday after Thanksgiving so hoping traffic won’t be crazy since it’s a holiday.

The mileage might help too, especially when the mile markers are counting upwards from 0 and not down from the total miles in that state.

Another site shows them as:

DE. 23 miles
MD 110
VA 179
NC 182
SC 199
GA 112

The mileage might help too, especially when the mile markers are counting upwards from 0 and not down from the total miles in that state.

Another site shows them as:

DE. 23 miles
MD 110
VA 179
NC 182
SC 199
GA 112

Great idea!! Thanks so much!!! The kids are always looking at exit signs when we are on a highway, asking what exit it is and counting down or up!

Having moved to FL last December, one thing is for certain, courtesy of the Orlando-based TV station news reports: there's lots of crime at Orlando gas stations. Fill up before you drive on I-4.

There’s a lot of crime in Orlando period
Isn’t there??
I hate watching the news when I’m down there. ☹️

Having moved to FL last December, one thing is for certain, courtesy of the Orlando-based TV station news reports: there's lots of crime at Orlando gas stations. Fill up before you drive on I-4.

I never seem to have a lot of luck finding gas on I4. I haven't really noticed lately but one trip I decided to wait to fill up and wanted to get gas before the Orlando area. I drove around Deland looking for gas. Lol
Now, I make sure I fill up no later then 40 miles to the Ga. / Fl. state line.

Oh.....

COUNT DOWN to two weeks at Boardwalk is 32 Days.

(Maybe a special post in the making. Stay tuned)

Hi! I am driving down from south Jersey shore Monday. I am looking on recommendations on where to stay along 95. I have no idea how long we’re going to make it. Hopefully at least South Carolina. It depends on how the kids do in the car. We are a group of three adults and three kids (8,7,4) Any recommendations on where to stay that won’t break the bank for six people.

Hi! I am driving down from south Jersey shore Monday. I am looking on recommendations on where to stay along 95. I have no idea how long we’re going to make it. Hopefully at least South Carolina. It depends on how the kids do in the car. We are a group of three adults and three kids (8,7,4) Any recommendations on where to stay that won’t break the bank for six people.

The name hotels, like Holiday Inn Express, will serve you well. If you can make it to the Santee Holiday Inn, you will have completed about 50% of your drive. Generally, Holiday Inn Express provides a courtesy breakfast; Holiday Inn provides a restaurant. Check all hotels reservation policies online in advance.

What time of day are you departing?

So when do you expect to be passing by the DC area, 9:30-10AM? I think others say the morning rush in that area is basically 6-10 AM ( and evening 3-7 PM). I am about an hour and ten minutes from the DE Memorial Bridge and leave about 2:30 AM, and at that time hit DC around 5:30 AM.

Anyway, hotel wise are you thinking you will need two rooms or will one do? When we had groups needing two rooms we sometimes found it was less expensive to go with one room at one of the suite type chains, like Springhill Suites, rather than two rooms elsewhere. In general we try to use chains with breakfast included, saving time and money the next morning.

Since you don’t know exactly where you will be when you will be stopping for the night, maybe look at one of the route 95 info guides online to get a feel for what hotels and restaurants are at each of the exits along 95. It will also help you judge which exits are bigger, having more hotel and restaurant options. And then check the hotels you might be interested online to see what the rates are. As BC1836 mentioned above, before reserving a room you may have to cancel, check out the cancellation policy as the ones that allow last minute cancellation without penalty are getting fewer and fewer.

We drive from SE PA. If we're making the drive in 2 days, we usually leave about 5-5:30 a.m. and stop in Savannah, GA for the night. There are a lot of hotels at the 3 Savannah exits. That leaves us with a 4 hour drive in the morning. Lately we've been making the drive over 3 days leaving late in the morning on day one. We usually drive to somewhere in SC. We look at the I-95 exit guide (or the signs along the highway) to figure out an exit that seems to have several hotel options (we tend to stick with Choice hotels -- Comfort Suites in particular -- or Holiday Inn Express). When we decide where we want to stop, we'll pull off at the exit and look at the various hotels (just a quick drive-by). Then we pull in a parking lot and pull up Orbitz.com or similar website on our phones and start looking for the best deal. We book from the car and walk into the hotel 2 minutes later.

And just a side note, if you don't already have EZ Pass, stop at Walmart and get one before you leave. It will make life so much easier with all the toll roads in DE/MD/DC/VA. And it makes you eligible to use the Express Lanes in the DC area which can save a lot of time if you hit the area during rush hour (just pay attention to the overhead signs listing the price -- it can get costly at certain times of the day. We paid almost $20 to use the Express Lanes for about 7 miles. It was totally worth it though as the regular lanes were at a standstill and Google Maps had those lanes at a 60+ minute delay.

We drive from SE PA. If we're making the drive in 2 days, we usually leave about 5-5:30 a.m. and stop in Savannah, GA for the night. There are a lot of hotels at the 3 Savannah exits. That leaves us with a 4 hour drive in the morning. Lately we've been making the drive over 3 days leaving late in the morning on day one. We usually drive to somewhere in SC. We look at the I-95 exit guide (or the signs along the highway) to figure out an exit that seems to have several hotel options (we tend to stick with Choice hotels -- Comfort Suites in particular -- or Holiday Inn Express). When we decide where we want to stop, we'll pull off at the exit and look at the various hotels (just a quick drive-by). Then we pull in a parking lot and pull up Orbitz.com or similar website on our phones and start looking for the best deal. We book from the car and walk into the hotel 2 minutes later.

And just a side note, if you don't already have EZ Pass, stop at Walmart and get one before you leave. It will make life so much easier with all the toll roads in DE/MD/DC/VA. And it makes you eligible to use the Express Lanes in the DC area which can save a lot of time if you hit the area during rush hour (just pay attention to the overhead signs listing the price -- it can get costly at certain times of the day. We paid almost $20 to use the Express Lanes for about 7 miles. It was totally worth it though as the regular lanes were at a standstill and Google Maps had those lanes at a 60+ minute delay.
Hi! Question about EZ Pass, I don’t have it but am thinking of getting it for our drive down and back in November. I went on their website and it is super confusing! Standard option, DRPA option, etc.:confused3 How does it work? I can get this at Walmart?? What is the total price? Thanks!

Yes. I planned on arriving in DC around 9:30/10. Maybe leaving at 5:30 would be the better option. I would like us to be all in one room since its my parents and my kids. But if we have to get two rooms I guess we will. Suite hotels are a good idea and I will check out the I 95 exit information. Thank you very much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter