"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

Anyone been held up by the I-95 closure at Fredricksburg Exit 126 that started last night? I-95 exit guide says there is construction going on during the evening (I-95 Southbound at mile marker 121 (Ni River Bridge) south of Exit 126 (Massaponax))

Seeking help from fellow MA drivers! We are leaving two weeks from today heading to Nashville TN then down to Enterprise AL (niece's graduation) then over to WDW. What is the best time to get out of MA to avoid as much traffic as possible and what's the best route to get past NY. The furthest I've ever driven is to VA and that was over 20 years ago.

TIA! :flower3:
We've done the drive from SE MA a couple different ways. If we drive straight through we leave around 7pm avoiding NY and DC traffic. We just did our last drive straight through last month and leaving at that time worked like a charm. No traffic anywhere all the way to FL.
If we stop to stay overnight in NC, we leave around 4am on a Saturday.

Tips needed on driving straight thru from NJ. Our check in date at POR is 6/24. Just found out (yes I know it's late to find out) that my kids HS graduation is 6/23 at 6pm. I was really hoping that graduation was going to be earlier in the week or even earlier in the day, but can't change that. We'll have 2 drivers, myself and my DS. Not sure when what time we should leave..thinking of leaving right after @10pm. Thanks!

We live in Toms River. 10pm is a good time to leave. It should put you near the SC GA state line around sun up. We always stop at the Maryland house rest stop in Maryland to top off on gas. This way we don't have to worry about needing gas while going through Baltimore or Washington.

We live in Toms River. 10pm is a good time to leave. It should put you near the SC GA state line around sun up. We always stop at the Maryland house rest stop in Maryland to top off on gas. This way we don't have to worry about needing gas while going through Baltimore or Washington.
Good idea. I'm not sure what time regular gas stations open.

Tips needed on driving straight thru from NJ. Our check in date at POR is 6/24. Just found out (yes I know it's late to find out) that my kids HS graduation is 6/23 at 6pm. I was really hoping that graduation was going to be earlier in the week or even earlier in the day, but can't change that. We'll have 2 drivers, myself and my DS. Not sure when what time we should leave..thinking of leaving right after @10pm. Thanks!

So. Do you think you'll be able to sleep while your DS is driving? If not, ehhhh, I'd back my check in off by a day. Or get another driver to come along.

So. Do you think you'll be able to sleep while your DS is driving? If not, ehhhh, I'd back my check in off by a day. Or get another driver to come along.
He's a good driver so I probably will and we will have another driver, his GF.

We're planning to drive from Waterloo Ontario (an hour west of Toronto) in August. I'm not sure which route is best though. Google maps says to go through Windsor and take I-75. But I'm reading others saying to go through Buffalo and take I-90/I-79/US-19/I-77 etc. We're planning to leave around 5am, drive to 6/7pm, sleep, and drive the rest the next day. We don't want to stop and smell the roses, we want to get to Florida. :) Any thoughts on the best route?

We're planning to drive from Waterloo Ontario (an hour west of Toronto) in August. I'm not sure which route is best though. Google maps says to go through Windsor and take I-75. But I'm reading others saying to go through Buffalo and take I-90/I-79/US-19/I-77 etc. We're planning to leave around 5am, drive to 6/7pm, sleep, and drive the rest the next day. We don't want to stop and smell the roses, we want to get to Florida. :) Any thoughts on the best route?

I'm partial to the I-75 route since I live ten minutes from it. However, I Mapquest your trip, and it suggested you take the Buffalo route. That route is a half hour quicker.

Grumbling, I have to agree with Mapquest. Not only is it shorter and quicker, you have fewer major cities to contend with. With the Buffalo route, you go through Buffalo, Charlotte (I think) and Jacksonville. With the I-75 route, you go through Detroit, Cincinnati and (most especially) Atlanta. Any route that's shorter, quicker and avoids Atlanta is better.

Good luck.

You'll have more border crossing options going through Buffalo, the route is shorter, and you'll avoid Atlanta. You pretty much never have to worry about traffic in Buffalo, so that's another worry to cross off. The only problem is you join I-95 after South of the Border. :D

Anyone traveled down I-95 south over the last few days? Just wondering if there is any dense smoke in the area around Jacksonville, Florida due to the Georgia fires.

We do both of these things - not sure where in SE MA you are, but we've taken 95/295 to avoid Providence traffic and we usually leave around 5PM to avoid NYC/DC traffic.

Planning to do my first drive to WDW from Indy planning to leave Sat Morning in Oct around 7 am. I'm thinking of stopping for lunch in Knoxville and staying overnight in Perry GA. Any recommendations for places to eat in Knoxville and places to stay in Perry?

I75 vs I95 from Cincinnati. Usually drive I75 but debating on 95 this trip.would be 75 through Knoxville then over to 95. How is the traffic, scenery, rest stops, hotels? Best place to stay for the night? Pro's/cons?

Stopped there once for fuel, you won't be missing much. I couldn't wait to get out of there!
I know some people love it, but it holds a special place in my heart because it took me two trips and five years to realize that it wasn't actually on our route. I thought was just sleeping every time we went past it. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter