"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And that, in the end, is what's most important, eh? Each driving team has to figure out its preferred way to go. Many ways to be right! :goodvibes
Thinking back though the years, all the different ways, times and travels days how it changed with who were the drivers and who were the passengers.
When I was a kid, my dad could leave at 5 pm and drive through the night.
From 19 driving down on our honeymoon to driving with a baby in the car to driving with a teen in the car and not to mention the drivers ages.
Traffic. I recall when i95 wasn't complete as a kid. Just an FYI, Jacksonville has been under construction since the early 70s lol.
With all the traffic and cities today it must be a little scary for someone who never did it before to try to figure out what's best.

Everybody have a safe and wonderful 4th of July weekend!!!!!

Watch that now a hurricane coming up the east coast!!!!

has anyone stayed in a hotel in Walterboro SC? Looing for clean hotel not motel in that location. I am currently booked at Sleep inn in Walterboro. YAY or NAY? Another suggestion?

I swear I answered this question recently, did you have another thread about this :lmao:

We used to stay in Walterboro every trip. We liked the Microtel, it was cheap and clean and had a very "basic" breakfast, but only cost about $59 a night. We have stayed in a Quality Inn and Suites and another one (can't remember) that were just okay.

Walterboro is kind of "neon" and fireworks, and a little hit or miss. But there's an awesome Duke's Barbecue that you can go to and get authentic local barbecue, mac & cheese, greens and banana pudding with homemade sweet tea, paper towels and whole loaves of white bread on the table and you bus your own trash into barrels for under $10 - all you can eat. It's where locals eat and it's great. My husband said it was the best meal of the entire trip.

They don't have a website, but you can find them on Tripadvisor, yelp, urbanspoon - those places. Okay, end of commercial :lmao:

We found that we would rather drive about another hour or so and stay in Savannah Ga north. There is a lovely Country Inn and Suites that has a great decent breakfast. We always get a 2 room suite and it costs us right around $100. Plus it's a really short drive the next day to Disney World.

Hi neighbor! :wave2:

amcnj -- You didn't quote me, but figure first of all it's 90 minutes for the ferry crossing/unloading. That doesn't count how long we wait to board and get going. So figure 2 hours total including wait time/load time/crossing/unload time. Because we live so far south, it's 1 hour 45 min to the Del Mem Bridge for us. So 2 hours including wait time to cross isn't a bad deal. Including those 2 hours, it's about 7 hours to Emporia for us with a rest stop (leaving from Cape May). With no traffic, it's about 6 hrs 15 min for us to go around and get to Emporia.

But, if we leave at the same time of day, in looking at past trips, we don't lose any time, because if we leave at 6- 6:30 a.m. from our house, we encounter no "rush hour" on the eastern shore and just travel along. But if we were to leave at the same time and go up and around, we hit Baltimore traffic, and the tail end of DC rush too, which can add boatloads of time and make the ferry route a faster route. (So yeah, if we're going up and around, we leave much earlier. :goodvibes And in that case, it's quicker to do the up and around.) I prefer these days to catch the first ferry over after a good night's sleep. The drive is easier/more interesting to me, and I am someone who does sleep well the night before a trip.

Second thing is for me on the ride over, even with a good night's sleep, I can nap on the ferry. So, I stay in the car, and nap or rest my eyes and listen to an audiobook while the kids and my dh go play cards upstairs in the lounge.

Finally for the ride home, since we have under 5 miles to drive home, by the time we hit the ferry terminal in Lewes, we feel like we're home. ::yes:: I don't know if I'd feel that way if I had more hours to drive once I debarked in NJ. So you need weigh that too.

It's not for everyone. It's a whole different experience. I like the ratio of road-to-highway-to-interstate driving mix that this route delivers. No 75/80 mph for the beginning of the trip...but we get enough of that once we get to NC.

HTH

Hi Nono,
can you give me the route you take from coastal NJ?

Our April 2014 drive from Brooklyn NY via I95 took us 15 hours to get to NC.

I was searching for ways to bypass MD/WADC/VA area.

Had looked at bypassing that area by going south after Delaware, local across RT 13-Lewis Keellam Bridge/Tunnel swining back to Emporia, Norfolk to Emporia, then back onto I95.

Wasn't aware of the ferry from Cape May. May have to look into this and go via GSP to the Cape May Ferry and beyond.

All suggestions/websites welcome.

thanks!!!

I keep reading about all these different routes our trip isnt intil Sept, but leaving from NYC is I95 THE best route?

I keep reading about all these different routes our trip isnt intil Sept, but leaving from NYC is I95 THE best route?

if your going in September, come across i78 and pick me up then I don't have to think about it. :lmao:

its a toss up anymore. I think they have managed to rip up, tear down, knock over every road, bridge and tunnel. :lmao: there has been a lot of talk going by boat now.

I basically go two ways. 78/81/66/17/95/4 which 17 can be tricky and pending on timing, you can hit traffic.
I also use 78/81/77/26/95/4. I posted a pretty good time/mile chart a few pages back on this way. either way, my average time with rest stops and gas is 16 hours. if I start out at 1am I can do it in 15- 15 1/2 but that is moving. you are about hour/15min from me.my wife goes into lower manhattan for work alot lately.
I stay away from the coast. I gain nothing going that way, time,speed or aggravation. I found for me, where I live, my driving habits, taking the "inland route" pays off. I had someone pm from nj one day and tell me going that way adds 120 miles to there trip and is a waste of gas. popcorn:: I told the pmer I can do 120 mile in less then two hours and that's screwing around. I would sit longer then that on rt 22 and the northeast extension of the turnpike just trying to get to i95.
I wished her luck and asked her to fill me in on her trip driving down i95. its been about a year and never herd anything from her.
there are a lot of people on here from your area that can fill you in on bridges, cities times etc.....
a lot of it is just good old plan luck! ;)

Hi Nono,
can you give me the route you take from coastal NJ?

Our April 2014 drive from Brooklyn NY via I95 took us 15 hours to get to NC.

I was searching for ways to bypass MD/WADC/VA area.

Had looked at bypassing that area by going south after Delaware, local across RT 13-Lewis Keellam Bridge/Tunnel swining back to Emporia, Norfolk to Emporia, then back onto I95.

Wasn't aware of the ferry from Cape May. May have to look into this and go via GSP to the Cape May Ferry and beyond.

All suggestions/websites welcome.

thanks!!!

Sure thing!

So, you would take the Garden State Parkway all the way to the end (Exit 0) and then turn right (don't go into Cape May). That's Rt. 9 and by the second light you're taking a NJ "jug handle" by exiting right to turn left and head straight to the ferry (through 3 lights). Once you make the crossing, you exit the ferry by turning right, and then following signs and the other passengers to Rt. 1.

From there the route we take is:

Rt. 1 S (about a mile on very heavily traveled multi-lane road. Stay right).
Rt. 24 (W, I think, but there's only one way to go on Rt. 24 at this point, so don't worry about it. About 15 miles. Two lane road. Several lights and lots of services along that way -- gas, mini-marts, restaurants, etc. Usually about 45 mph travel speed.).
Rt. 113 South (this turn comes after passing through a small town and seems to come out of nowhere. Once you're on it, it's a divided highway for a bit with some traffic lights. About 50-55 mph travel speed. Eventually the lights are done with and it's smooth sailing.
Rt. 13 South (this is also a divided highway with traffic lights. When in VA, do not exceed the posted speed limits much. Near the "towns" the speed drops from 50 mph to 45 mph...that seems to be where the cops get irritable. Between towns local folks seem to go 55 - 60 mph, but drop right to 45 mph in the towns).
Rt. 13 will take you all the way to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. That's pretty cool. After coming out of the second tunnel you can hang a right (immediately) and check out the rest area with restaurant and gift shop...
Then, you'll drive Rt. 13 through VA. Beach area. Stop and go for a bit. About 40 mph...but with traffic and traffic lights.

(Around the VA Beach area is a spaghetti string of highways all with the number 64 in them. No one ever thinks anyone would possibly come this way to pass through, so don't expect to see a sign for Rt. 58 or I-95. We have done this pass through incorrectly so many times, we have decided on this next part of the route for us, which adds about 2 miles to the journey.)

Rt. 64 towards Suffolk. Suffolk is your key word here. Just head towards Suffolk. Travel this for almost 20 miles.
Then you will briefly be on I-664 until you are exiting on Rt. 13 towards Suffolk, which becomes Rt. 58.

Rt. 58 you take across VA and hook up with I 95 S. This area has a few lights and is not a limited access highway, but most the time, travel speed is about 55 mph.

HTH

Coming from Brooklyn, it'll be a whole different ride for you, as you're going through a lot of rural areas, esp. on the Eastern Shore, esp. in MD and VA. If you see a place you want to stop to eat, DO IT. We have had good luck with random places along the way -- definitely not chain restaurants! :goodvibes

Website for the ferry: http://cmlf.com/

Website for the bay bridge-tunnel: http://www.cbbt.com/

We're planning on driving next year, and probably every year if I have my way. To save wear on my car, I was thinking of renting a car with unlimited mileage. Problem is, we go in May during love bug season. Normally we take our own car on the auto train (so done with that!) and we usually come back with quite a few love bugs that I struggle to remove. I try to get what I can with bug remover and then take it to the car wash. Not sure what I'd do with a rental. I'm afraid of damaging the paint. Anyone ever have this problem?

We're planning on driving next year, and probably every year if I have my way. To save wear on my car, I was thinking of renting a car with unlimited mileage. Problem is, we go in May during love bug season. Normally we take our own car on the auto train (so done with that!) and we usually come back with quite a few love bugs that I struggle to remove. I try to get what I can with bug remover and then take it to the car wash. Not sure what I'd do with a rental. I'm afraid of damaging the paint. Anyone ever have this problem?

If its a rental, I wouldn't do anything to it when you bring it back. Leave the bugs on it. I washed a rental van once before I returned it because of the salt from the snow but that's about all I would do to it.
My own car, I put about six coats of mothers wax on the front clip, hood. Bumper etc. before we leave. I run it through the Hess non touch car wash near the boardwalk when we get there so the bugs don't bake into the car. When I get home, I wash the car with mothers car wash and for the most part they come off on the first pass there's a few spots I have to wipe over a second time but I don't have a problem getting them off. I don't don't big remover but that's up to you. The hardest part is digging them out of the moldings. Lol

So my DW has broke out the suit cases. That tells me we have hit the 30 day mark till we depart :yay: Looks like we will be leaving right after rush hour around here.:drive:. I still need to give the car a pre- trip inspection:coffee: ,change the oil and rotate the tires.

dvczerfs :goodvibes thanks again for all your info, hopefully some NYC drivers will also chime in, ok what time you want me picking you up lol!!

So my DW has broke out the suit cases. That tells me we have hit the 30 day mark till we depart :yay: Looks like we will be leaving right after rush hour around here.:drive:. I still need to give the car a pre- trip inspection:coffee: ,change the oil and rotate the tires.
oh you have to love the 30 day smell!!!!! im moving up onto the 60 day mark and im packed already. :lmao: have a great trip!!!!
dvczerfs :goodvibes thanks again for all your info, hopefully some NYC drivers will also chime in, ok what time you want me picking you up lol!!

:lmao: I can be ready when ever you want!!!! you don't even have to stop, when you cross into pa and get to the second exit, just slow down alittle and fling open the back door and ill jump in!!!! :thumbsup2

If its a rental, I wouldn't do anything to it when you bring it back. Leave the bugs on it. I washed a rental van once before I returned it because of the salt from the snow but that's about all I would do to it.
My own car, I put about six coats of mothers wax on the front clip, hood. Bumper etc. before we leave. I run it through the Hess non touch car wash near the boardwalk when we get there so the bugs don't bake into the car. When I get home, I wash the car with mothers car wash and for the most part they come off on the first pass there's a few spots I have to wipe over a second time but I don't have a problem getting them off. I don't don't big remover but that's up to you. The hardest part is digging them out of the moldings. Lol

:lmao: wow!!!!! im not going to edit this!!!! :lmao: this is what happens when you try to post from your eye phone without your glasses on!! :lmao: I know, reading my post are generally an adventure to begin with much less doing it on a I phone with no glasses on. :lmao:

hope everyone is having a great weekend!!!! it been quiet around here but it is a holiday. I have been catching up on a few things myself...... eating.....napping.........eating.........watching the Phillies loose........napping.......eating............wash the cars.......... eating........watching the Phillies loose........ eating......... :lmao:

I don't see my plans changing much for today. :lmao:

have a great sunday!!!!! :thumbsup2

:lmao: wow!!!!! im not going to edit this!!!! :lmao: this is what happens when you try to post from your eye phone without your glasses on!! :lmao: I know, reading my post are generally an adventure to begin with much less doing it on a I phone with no glasses on. :lmao:

That's OK, I understood your post. :) I'm just worried if I have the car for more than a week, by the time I return it here in PA, the paint might be damaged, but I'd be afraid to use anything on it that might also cause damage.

We had a rental once with 10k miles on it and it broke down. Never again with a rental. Oh the inconvenience.

sunday 3pm last day of holiday update!!!

last car has been washed

corn on the cob has been dehaired

nap has been taken

and last but not least, the bottom of the 5th inning and the stinking Phillies are loosing again!!!!!

such an exciting life I lead. :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter