FOP - Yay or Nay?

GeorgiaHoo

DIS Veteran
The favorite rides thread made me think a FOP thread might be interesting. We rode twice with fastpasses last week. The general reaction from the four in our party was that the ride effects were very good, and it was a fine ride, but couldn't hold a candle to the two Harry Potter rides at Universal, and wasn't even our favorite ride at Disney. We mostly didn't feel any attraction to Avatar, but thought that if there was a similar ride for Star Wars or Toy Story we might like it better. Wondering what others think.

Loved it and have been on all the HP rides at Universal, they are awesome as well. Definite yay for me!

Absolutely love it. I've ridden close it to 20 times and I still get that permasmile once the ride starts :). I greatly prefer it to either of the HP rides.

I've ridden forbidden journey once and didn't really care for it - the blurry screens made me a little motion sick and I'm not one who easily gets motion sickness. Escape from Gringott's was a better ride but my favorite part is actually the queue and elevator ride prior to getting in the ride vehicle - Universal just did an amazing job with that one. I just find the FoP ride experience to be more enjoyable.

I'm in the yay camp!

I loved it! My ride chicken mom declared it her favorite ride at WDW (it was her first ever trip) and it was the only thing she wanted to do more than once. Sorry mom, not without another FP, lol!

I do not typically get sick from rides but Forbidden Journey made me so ill it pretty much ruined the rest of the day for me at US/IOA. I appreciate how cool it was, but :crazy2:
I'm a hardcore Potter fan, and I do think Diagon Alley is incredible - I cried when I saw it! I wish I'd seen Hogsmeade first b/c after DA it didn't have the same wow factor.

Pandora took my breathe away even though I don't care about or have any kind of connection with the movie.

FoP is an innovative, immersive and incredible ride - nothing else like it and worth a ride to experience. It's the closest thing to being in a video game or virtual reality that I've experienced. Easily in my top 5 at WDW. That said - it's not my favorite. I still prefer the rides that put me through the motions. I like Forbidden Journey more for that reason - it combines a lot of actual movement with both screens and practical effects. I wouldn't wait hours to ride FoP. My "test" is if I can ride over and over again - while that hasn't been possible with FoP, I don't get the sense I could ride more than 2-3 times in a row without saying "enough".

My dream ride, though? Figure out a way to combine Avatar's screens and immersiveness with the Tron cycle coaster ride mechanics and throw in some practical effects a la Forbidden Journey to recreate the feeling of going 200 mph through the forests of Endor on a speeder bike. You couldn't pry me off that ride.

We loved it. We normally get motion sickness. Star Tours literally took us out. With FOP we had no motion sickness at all. It was the best experience we’ve been on and our favorite ride of the whole trip. Our second favorite ride although not we’re not huge fans of the movie, Frozen.

It's a great attraction but without FP it's more trouble than it's worth to me. If I can't FP it I'm fine with skipping it.

FOP is MUCH better than Gringott's (which I love, BTW) and Forbidden Journey (which sort of looks silly in parts and makes me want to hurl if I ride it too many times in a row, LOL!) The flying sensation on FOP is far and above anything you experience on the HP rides, IMHO.

I loved it, and I'm very lukewarm on Avatar. It didn't feel like any ride I've ever been on before, including the Harry Potter rides.

If I'm there solo, it's a nay for me. I didn't think it was all that and a loaf of bread, the glasses wouldn't stay on my freakishly small head even with my head totally up so I had to hold them on the whole time. The way you have to lean in hits me in just the right spot on my sternum to cause my reflux to hurt. Didn't make me sick but uncomfortable enough that I just wanted it done. If my son is with me, we ride it since he loved it and with permanent nerve damage in his spine there are so few rides he can ride that I put up with it for him.

The favorite rides thread made me think a FOP thread might be interesting. We rode twice with fastpasses last week. The general reaction from the four in our party was that the ride effects were very good, and it was a fine ride, but couldn't hold a candle to the two Harry Potter rides at Universal, and wasn't even our favorite ride at Disney. We mostly didn't feel any attraction to Avatar, but thought that if there was a similar ride for Star Wars or Toy Story we might like it better. Wondering what others think.

Definitely yay for me. Curious to know what your favorite at Disney is?

Yay for me. But, I think they should already be working on a new video for an upgrade later next year or in 2019.

We love it. Best ride at Disney by far. Only ride in Orlando that even comes close if Forbidden Journey. Gringotts isn't close. FoP and FJ are really close though. FJ has more action but FoP is more emersive. I could ride both for days over and over and not get bored

Last edited:
Exhilarating! Absolutely yay, but having said so, I would not ride standby. FP+ or skip it. Life is too short to wait three hours for a theme park ride.

Definite yay for us! Not being a big Avatar fan, I was more looking forward to riding it just because it was a new ride. After riding it once on a previous trip I made sure to get 2 fp's for it this last trip because I absolutely love it. However, I do agree I would not wait hours to ride it. :faint:

but couldn't hold a candle to the two Harry Potter rides at Universal
Interesting how people can have the opposite reaction to the same experience. As excellent as they are, for me, the two HP rides don't hold a candle to FoP, and I prefer most US attractions over those at WDW.

We went yesterday. The fast pass line took over 30 minutes. Half of the ride was down so it was slow going. We started the ride and it broke down after 2 min. We were going to miss our bus home and then to the airport but those 2 min were so good we decided to wait.
Wow
Best ride I have ever been on in my opinion. Wouldn't wait 3 hours which was the posted time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter