• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Food, SQUIRREL, and When We Are Old...A March 2012 TR

Very pretty Easter dresses...makes me wish I had a girl :(

We did get one of those "postcards" in the mail after our Feb trip. We stayed at the Poly. I was so excited, since I'm pretty new to all this Disney stuff I thought the little code down in the corner was a PIN :lmao:

No such luck, but I have since gotten 3 PIN offers. One of which I am taking advantage of this July :banana:

Oopsi, I adore your Easter pictures! I had never heard of the Resurrection Rolls, so thanks for sharing the story! They sound wonderful! :love:

I got the photo card that you did this year. I had never received it before (and we usually stay Mod). This was new to us. I mentioned it somewhere, but no one ever responded if they got one as well. :confused3 So now I'm not the only one (neither are you) who got one. Obviously, mine had our last name, but otherwise identical.

So if this was something they had always done, we've never gotten one before ... but perhaps this is something new? :confused3

Resurrection Rolls are a simple way to tell the story of Easter to your kids and end up with a yummy treat in the end. All you need are cressant rolls, large marshmallows, some melted butter and cinnamon sugar.

The lesson to go along with it is this: the marshmallow represents Jesus. You roll the marshmallow in melted butter that represents the oil Jesus' body was anointed with before burial. You then coat the marshmallow with cinnamon sugar to represent the spices that people in that day and age used to help preserve the body. You then wrap the marshmallow in a cressant roll, the shroud that covered Jesus' body. Lastly you place them in the oven (the tomb) and when you take them out, the marshmallow is melted. It leaves a gooey yumminess in the roll which is still puffed up and completely hollow, like the empty tomb and grave shroud! :cool1:

That is SOOO cool!!! I think DD and I would have fun making them and going over details of the story while we do it. Wish i knew it before Easter. LOL. Now to remember it until next Easter. :laughing:
thanks so much for sharing :goodvibes

Hey, do you all sell the little people wearing Mickey ears decals for cars? Do you know what I am talking about? Folks put them in their back windows...a family of them. I wanted some while we were at Disney, but I had already spent all of my souvie money elsewhere. :rolleyes1 DH says we can come up to Opry Mills and get some if you have them. :yay: Wow- this gives the phrase "shopping online" a whole new meaning! :rotfl2:

When I worked Sunday we did not have any. I don't have any other shifts through Saturday, but I will stop by tomorrow evening to check the schedule for the following week and check while I am there and let you know.

Lynn

How strange - I keep pressing to go to page 8 and it keeps bringing me to pg 7... Hmmm... Maybe The Dis is telling me to post and it will start pg 8 for me?

Hey, do you all sell the little people wearing Mickey ears decals for cars? Do you know what I am talking about? Folks put them in their back windows...a family of them. I wanted some while we were at Disney, but I had already spent all of my souvie money elsewhere. :rolleyes1 DH says we can come up to Opry Mills and get some if you have them. :yay: Wow- this gives the phrase "shopping online" a whole new meaning! :rotfl2:

I did get a set of these when we were in DTD - but I haven't put them on my Edge yet... I also go the "My other car is a Monorail" one... Hehehee.

I thought I would take time out of the TR to throw in some "between Disney trips" pictures...you know, pictures taken in the real world. Easter pictures anyone?

Here are the baskets before they were attacked (yes, I make a basket for my hubby every year-his is the little one in the front)...

th_046.jpg

Every Easter we have the same breakfast, Resurrection Rolls. Here are the kids making them...

[/
th_048.jpg

Here are the little darlings all dressed up and ready to worship our risen Savior...

th_053.jpg

And Gabe enjoying the spoils of an Easter egg hunt with his cousin...

th_058.jpg

The last picture is some very special Mickey mail we got yesterday...

th_062.jpg

We were really surprised and excited to get this. Do these come very often after trips? We didn't get one last year. Brian says it is because we stayed at a mod this time instead of a value. Any one else get one of these?

Your kids are so precious Oopsi! I just loved seeing your Easter pictures.

I got the post card too... Josh didn't like it though - I hung it on the calendar, so I can look at it ever day. :rotfl2:

Resurrection Rolls are a simple way to tell the story of Easter to your kids and end up with a yummy treat in the end. All you need are cressant rolls, large marshmallows, some melted butter and cinnamon sugar.

The lesson to go along with it is this: the marshmallow represents Jesus. You roll the marshmallow in melted butter that represents the oil Jesus' body was anointed with before burial. You then coat the marshmallow with cinnamon sugar to represent the spices that people in that day and age used to help preserve the body. You then wrap the marshmallow in a cressant roll, the shroud that covered Jesus' body. Lastly you place them in the oven (the tomb) and when you take them out, the marshmallow is melted. It leaves a gooey yumminess in the roll which is still puffed up and completely hollow, like the empty tomb and grave shroud! :cool1:

I love this story - I've never heard it before.

I know, I was able to immediately spot them. I knew those faces and smiles! It was great meeting them. Next time will be better, we will plan better! :thumbsup2

Yes, next time, I think we should plan for breakfast! :thumbsup2

D~ <--- Who still considers herself an honorary Tennessean... :rolleyes1

:welcome: Hope you will stick around for the fun and throw in a few comments every now and then!

Love your daughter's Mickey robe!

Thanks! She got that at Wal-....ly World of all places! I just love how the discount stores are carrying great Disney apparel now! :cool1:

I've never received one of those cards after a trip, just survey emails. I guess they are trying to keep you in the cult so you'll book another trip!

:rotfl2: Yep, you are probably right! We were already planning another trip anyhow after inhaling all the crack I am convinced that they pipe onto Main St. for a week... :rolleyes1

Very pretty Easter dresses...makes me wish I had a girl :(

We did get one of those "postcards" in the mail after our Feb trip. We stayed at the Poly. I was so excited, since I'm pretty new to all this Disney stuff I thought the little code down in the corner was a PIN.

No such luck, but I have since gotten 3 PIN offers. One of which I am taking advantage of this July.

:sad1:We have yet to recieve any pin codes. Someday, I just know it!!!! popcorn::

Oopsi, I adore your Easter pictures! I had never heard of the Resurrection Rolls, so thanks for sharing the story! They sound wonderful!

I got the photo card that you did this year. I had never received it before (and we usually stay Mod). This was new to us. I mentioned it somewhere, but no one ever responded if they got one as well. So now I'm not the only one (neither are you) who got one. Obviously, mine had our last name, but otherwise identical.

So if this was something they had always done, we've never gotten one before ... but perhaps this is something new?

IDK if it is something new or not, but it sure was cause for a little mini-celebration in our home! party: Yeah, we need to get a life... :rolleyes1

That is SOOO cool!!! I think DD and I would have fun making them and going over details of the story while we do it. Wish i knew it before Easter. LOL. Now to remember it until next Easter. :laughing:
thanks so much for sharing

I worked in a church daycare for seven years when all of my children were babies, and that is where I heard about it. It has become a wonderful tradition for us.

When I worked Sunday we did not have any. I don't have any other shifts through Saturday, but I will stop by tomorrow evening to check the schedule for the following week and check while I am there and let you know.

Lynn

We don't have any. :(

Lynn

Thank you so much for checking! I will still have to come visit. I :lovestruc to meet new Disfriends!

How strange - I keep pressing to go to page 8 and it keeps bringing me to pg 7... Hmmm... Maybe The Dis is telling me to post and it will start pg 8 for me?

I did get a set of these when we were in DTD - but I haven't put them on my Edge yet... I also go the "My other car is a Monorail" one... Hehehee.

Your kids are so precious Oopsi! I just loved seeing your Easter pictures.

I got the post card too... Josh didn't like it though - I hung it on the calendar, so I can look at it ever day. :rotfl2:

I love this story - I've never heard it before.

Yes, next time, I think we should plan for breakfast! :thumbsup2

D~ <--- Who still considers herself an honorary Tennessean... :rolleyes1

Of course you are still our honorary Tennesseean! We would never revoke the honor...unless you started refusing to sing Rocky Top every morning before your feet hit the floor... :rolleyes1 Oh, but you would never do that! :sad2: :lmao:

I hope I can find some of those decals online. DH felt bad that we didn't just get them when we were there, and swears he will get me a set. He was even excited when we got the postcard. :banana: He has become the Disney husband of my heart, God love him! :love:

Thank you for the nice things you say about my kids. I think they are beautiful, too but then I am kinda partial... :rolleyes1

Hmmmm, breakfast? :eek: We are not morning people or breakfast people. :sad2: Maybe we could shoot for lunch or a nice Disney snack? ::yes::

DAY 2, MARCH 9,2012

After a good night's rest, we were up and ready to go. We had something in the room for breakfast (poptarts, coffee cakes, donuts and other such nonsense). We discovered that there was a bus stop relatively close to our room, so we took advantage of it. Where were we headed? EPCOT!!!! We were not trying to make rope drop, but wanted to be there just after the crowd cleared a bit. That was our goal, and that is just what happened.

I want to apologize in advance because it seems my dear sweet hubby did not take a whole lot of pictures on this day, and I was still a Diser in training when it came to knowing just how many photos a good TR needed to have, so I did not prompt him to take more or confiscate the camera to take over the task myself. But, we do have some fun ones, and some pictures of food of course. :rolleyes1

We arrived at EPCOT at 9:30 and the crowds were sufficiently dispersed. Where did we head first? Where does EVERYONE head first upon entering EPCOT? Soarin' of course! We did have to shove politely push our way through the stand by line to get to the fast pass machines. Return time was for 7pm....at 9:30 in the morning....and rope drop was at 9 am!!! :scared1:

With fast passes safely tucked away we headed for the other obvious choice, Test Track, Baby!!!! (Stacy reference for those of you who may not have noticed) Charity was afraid to go on this one last year. As I said in my intro, Charity is our family scaredy cat. I was able to talk, coax and cajole her into trying it this time... and....SHE LOVED IT!!! This is now the ride she calls her favorite in the whole wide World!! :dance3: I was just so proud of her on this trip. She made a decision to just overcome her fears and try new things, and many times she was so glad she did. After the ride we had to stop and take the obligatory pictures of people in cars:

DSCN2322.jpg

DSCN2323.jpg

Isn't it crazy that we all do this? I mean, it's not like these cars are SPECIAL or anything. They are cars that we see at the corner dealerships every day. They are cars we could all purchase if we had a mind to. BUT, OMG- they are at Disney World people!!! That means they freakin' rock, and we should totally get our picture made in them!!! :rotfl2:

Now, where were we? Oh yeah, leaving Test Track and the amazing WDW cars I made an executive decision that it was time for our family to tackle a first for all of us...Club Cool! Maniacal laugh, maniacal laugh, maniacal laugh. (has anyone seen the new Muppets movie? You will understand that one if you did) We headed into Club Cool. I warned Brian about the Beverly and told him to have his camera ready. I also talked him into trying it for himself. We tried all the yummy flavors, and then the time had come... so here is a sequence of pictures for your viewing pleasure:

Yay, I get to try another new kind of coke!
DSCN2318.jpg

Down the hatch...
DSCN2321.jpg

First response...
DSCN2320.jpg

Ewwwww!
DSCN2319.jpg

They were champs with it! We all had a good laugh. At this time Brian and Jillian decided they wanted to go on Mission Space. I knew Gabe and Charity wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. What did the three of us do while we waited? Well....we shopped in the dump store, then we sat on the stools outside the exit so that Gabe could climb on and jump off the cool window ledges. Exciting, huh? :sad2: This all felt like such a waste of time for me, but the little ones were entertained and they probably needed a little break anyhow.

Let's talk about Mission Space for a minute. I was nervous about Jillian doing it since she gets sick in the back seat of the car sometimes on the way to school. :sad2: But, I knew if I pointed this out to her she would just get sullen and pout because Mommy was keeping her from having fun. She is a daredevil, and it would have offended her greatly to point out to her that something was maybe a little too much for her to try. I commented in passing that it caused a lot of folks to get motion sickness and she chose that moment to engage her selective hearing setting. :headache: So, she and Brian went on it (Orange of course, because they can handle anything :rolleyes1).They came off the ride and guess what....Jillian didn't get sick at all! But Brian did! :sick: :eek: I have never known him to get motion sickness at all in the 20+ years we have known each other. :confused3 Oh well! They both enjoyed it, but never mentioned an interest in going on it again at all.

After Mission Space we went to Turtle Talk with Crush. It is always a favorite for us and never disappoints. We headed over to Sunshine Seasons for some lunch after TTwC. Can I just say, I am in :lovestruc with Sunshine Seasons?!? I had never tried it before this trip. We ended up going twice...and I ordered identical meals and desserts both times because they were just THAT good. I have no pictures :guilty:, but I can tell you what I ate: Mongolian Beef with Fried Rice, Smart Water and Strawberry Shortcake...my mouth is watering just thinking about that food. It was just so good.

With our bellies full, we headed back to POR. It was going to be a late night with midnight EMH so we needed some rest. We got back to our room and what to our wondering eyes did appear?? This cute little guy:

DSCN2324.jpg

This was the only towel animal we got this week, but our Mousekeeper did have fun placing this little guy in different spots of the room that week. I :lovestruc Mousekeepers. Can I have one at home? ::yes:: Huh? Huh? :sad2:, no I guess not. :sad1: It is time to say nighty-night for a few hours. We need some rest before we head back to EPCOT for our favorite meal of the whole trip...

My DH did the orange back in 2009, and he was queasy for the rest of the day. Well, not really queasy, he just didn't feel right for the rest of the day. He never got "sick" ... but this is the guy who spent years debating on an application to NASA. (He was in the USAF for several years, but as a chair sergeant.) Maybe now he's glad he never submitted that application (I know I am glad!)

Sorry to hear that your DH didn't feel well. Hopefully he bounced back quick!

We never ate at Sunshine Seasons. I want to. I've heard great things. But we're usually wanting to try out new stuff in WSC. :rolleyes:

At least you got a towel animal. We got zero. None. The Mousekeeper didnt even play with the kids' lovies (our previous Mousekeepers have always played with the lovies, leaving them in different spots daily or making them do random things -- one year, we came back and it looked like they threw a party :lmao:).

I can't believe the Soarin FPs were already so late!! :scared1: That's just NUTS!!!!

I can't BELEIVE you pulled a 7pm return time for Soarin at 9:30 am :confused3 Was it really THAT busy in the park this day? WOW!!!

Lots of people talk about the Sunshine Seasons. I'll have to put that one on my list of places to eat. The mongolian beef with fried chicken sounds VERY YUMMY :P

Looooove the little towel guy! LOL he's so cute!!!

Wow, I can't believe that FP return time!! We were in Epcot this afternoon, for lunch at LeCellier, but we didn't do many rides. I know my BIL and our friend had some late
FP's for both Test Track and Soarin', but I don't know what time they pulled them. I know the park was busy, but I don't remember it being that nuts. We werent' there that long though. I know the rest of our group said evening EMH was great.

I so want a mousekeeper too!!! That would be AWESOME!!

Great update!

Lynn

Great update!!

And, WOW!! thats a lae return time for getting there at 9:30, but if you had to fight of the stnad by line to just get to the FP machine...it had to be busy and everyone in that stand by line probably fot FPs for later too....

I thought I took a ton of pics, but it never seems like enough when Im doing the TR...:confused3. I keep looking through them and thinking why didnt I take a pic of this or that....:lmao: oh well..

popcorn:: Cant wait to hear more!!

My DH did the orange back in 2009, and he was queasy for the rest of the day. Well, not really queasy, he just didn't feel right for the rest of the day. He never got "sick" ... but this is the guy who spent years debating on an application to NASA. (He was in the USAF for several years, but as a chair sergeant.) Maybe now he's glad he never submitted that application (I know I am glad!)

Sorry to hear that your DH didn't feel well. Hopefully he bounced back quick!

We never ate at Sunshine Seasons. I want to. I've heard great things. But we're usually wanting to try out new stuff in WSC. :rolleyes:

At least you got a towel animal. We got zero. None. The Mousekeeper didnt even play with the kids' lovies (our previous Mousekeepers have always played with the lovies, leaving them in different spots daily or making them do random things -- one year, we came back and it looked like they threw a party :lmao:).

I can't believe the Soarin FPs were already so late!! :scared1: That's just NUTS!!!!

Too funny about your DH considering NASA. I do have a ridiculously funny story about a true life astronaut going on Mission Space when I get to my Day 3 report... :rolleyes1

Sunshine Seasons is definitely worth giving up a WS CS for. We usually do WS for our TS credit.

I love that your lovies threw a party while you were at the parks! :laughing: Guess that'll teach ya not to leave them behind while you go have all the fun! :lmao:

I can't BELEIVE you pulled a 7pm return time for Soarin at 9:30 am :confused3 Was it really THAT busy in the park this day? WOW!!!

Lots of people talk about the Sunshine Seasons. I'll have to put that one on my list of places to eat. The mongolian beef with fried chicken sounds VERY YUMMY :P

Looooove the little towel guy! LOL he's so cute!!!

Honestly, I don't remember Epcot being that crowded that day. I guess Soarin' is just one of those rides everyone wants to go on. :confused3

Yes, I HIGHLY recommend Sunshine Seasons. The two things I have been craving since we got home are that Mongolian Beef and the jalepeno pretzels at AK.:sad2:

Yeah, we loved our little towel bunny. He kept us company all week. :cutie:

Wow, I can't believe that FP return time!! We were in Epcot this afternoon, for lunch at LeCellier, but we didn't do many rides. I know my BIL and our friend had some late
FP's for both Test Track and Soarin', but I don't know what time they pulled them. I know the park was busy, but I don't remember it being that nuts. We werent' there that long though. I know the rest of our group said evening EMH was great.

I don't really remember Epcot being all that crowded on this day either. Not sure why FP's were going so quickly. :confused3 Our second Epcot day...that was a different story. I distinctly remember the crowds that day! :scared1: And I agree that the evening EMH's that first night were :cloud9:. I will elaborate more on that later... popcorn::
I so want a mousekeeper too!!! That would be AWESOME!!

Great update!

Lynn

I say, we all go in on the lottery together with the singular goal of hiring mousekeepers for each of us with our winnings! :banana:

Great update!!

And, WOW!! thats a lae return time for getting there at 9:30, but if you had to fight of the stnad by line to just get to the FP machine...it had to be busy and everyone in that stand by line probably fot FPs for later too....

I thought I took a ton of pics, but it never seems like enough when Im doing the TR...:confused3. I keep looking through them and thinking why didnt I take a pic of this or that....:lmao: oh well..

popcorn:: Cant wait to hear more!!

Yes, now that I am actually DOING my first TR, I will definitely look for better photo ops next time to make for a more intriguing TR! :rotfl:

WARNING: If you don't tolerate whining, please completely skip this update!

I want to start out by saying this is just me unloading in the only place I feel I can. I try to be an encourager in "real life", so I don't really share my own struggles with very many people. I KNOW that most people have much bigger struggles and battles in life, so I feel I do not need to wallow in my own small miseries.

I do want to take this time to give a "shout-out" to my Disfriend Corri who's brother just passed away...that's TOUGH stuff and my heart breaks in a thousand pieces for the grief and shock she and her family are facing right now. Toss up a prayer or two for that family if you think of it from time to time.

All that being said, can I just whine for a few minutes? This is my TR, so I can. You are welcome to skip over this if you are so inclined.

I have been really down this week. Brian took another position at his company right before our Disney trip. This new position IS a blessing to our family. It means that instead of working Tuesday-Saturday, he now has a Monday-Friday schedule just like the rest of us. The only small downside to the new position is that it was a lateral move financially, but it is salary...no more overtime. We did not realize how much we had come to depend of that overtime pay until now. He has had the position for a little over a month and the financial repercussions are now being felt. He is a man, he feels the responsibility of being the great provider. It has hit him hard, and he has been moody in the last couple of weeks. We are at a loss as to what sort of cut backs we can do. We have never been big spenders, so the adjustment is tough on us when we already feel like we live pretty frugally. We are strong Christians, and we know that God is our provider, not a job or company. But we also realize that we are to be good stewards of what is entrusted to us. We have no ready answers, and that is what is hard on us. We have always been able to look at the budget and say we can do this or that to pull through....and we just can't do that this time. I am not asking for sympathy. I know we will get through this. Many people have lost jobs, lost homes, and many other hardships in this economy. If you are a praying person, I ask that you pray for God to give us wisdom and witty ideas in this time of adjustment for our family. Thanks for letting me unload, friends!

I revert to your earlier comment about winning the lottery.......work problem solved :hug:

Enjoying your trip report. We are fellow Tennessean's. Howdy!:thumbsup2

Praying for your family to have guidance with your financial ordeal. I personally know that financial trouble can put a strain on your entire family.

I'm here! I supposed it's better late than never! :rotfl2:

I'm really enjoying your TR!! And the squirrel? YIPES!!! Poor little guy!

As for your latest post, :hug:'s to you. I hope that you guys can figure out a solution soon. I know it's hard, but with a little help and support from your friends, and the Man Upstairs, it will all get better!

Too funny about your DH considering NASA. I do have a ridiculously funny story about a true life astronaut going on Mission Space when I get to my Day 3 report... :rolleyes1

Sunshine Seasons is definitely worth giving up a WS CS for. We usually do WS for our TS credit.

I love that your lovies threw a party while you were at the parks! :laughing: Guess that'll teach ya not to leave them behind while you go have all the fun! :lmao:

Can't wait to hear about your astronaut story! I'll probably share it with DH, too. :lmao:

We usually end up in WSC as soon as it opens, so it always made more sense to just dine there. Maybe one year we can venture back over to The Land building. :confused3

That was back in 2010 ... nothing since. :sad2:

WARNING: If you don't tolerate whining, please completely skip this update!

I want to start out by saying this is just me unloading in the only place I feel I can. I try to be an encourager in "real life", so I don't really share my own struggles with very many people. I KNOW that most people have much bigger struggles and battles in life, so I feel I do not need to wallow in my own small miseries.

I do want to take this time to give a "shout-out" to my Disfriend Corri who's brother just passed away...that's TOUGH stuff and my heart breaks in a thousand pieces for the grief and shock she and her family are facing right now. Toss up a prayer or two for that family if you think of it from time to time.

All that being said, can I just whine for a few minutes? This is my TR, so I can. You are welcome to skip over this if you are so inclined.

I have been really down this week. Brian took another position at his company right before our Disney trip. This new position IS a blessing to our family. It means that instead of working Tuesday-Saturday, he now has a Monday-Friday schedule just like the rest of us. The only small downside to the new position is that it was a lateral move financially, but it is salary...no more overtime. We did not realize how much we had come to depend of that overtime pay until now. He has had the position for a little over a month and the financial repercussions are now being felt. He is a man, he feels the responsibility of being the great provider. It has hit him hard, and he has been moody in the last couple of weeks. We are at a loss as to what sort of cut backs we can do. We have never been big spenders, so the adjustment is tough on us when we already feel like we live pretty frugally. We are strong Christians, and we know that God is our provider, not a job or company. But we also realize that we are to be good stewards of what is entrusted to us. We have no ready answers, and that is what is hard on us. We have always been able to look at the budget and say we can do this or that to pull through....and we just can't do that this time. I am not asking for sympathy. I know we will get through this. Many people have lost jobs, lost homes, and many other hardships in this economy. If you are a praying person, I ask that you pray for God to give us wisdom and witty ideas in this time of adjustment for our family. Thanks for letting me unload, friends!

Definitely praying that God will provide you with some suggestions. :hug:

And this is your TR, please whine or vent all you need to. We're all family here! :hug:

Enjoying your trip report. We are fellow Tennessean's. Howdy!:thumbsup2

YAY! More TN people!! :love: HI!!! :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter