Food, Fun and Sun-Live Trip Report

Tea at the GF, what a wonderful way to spend an afternoon. Enjoying your TR and pics.

Friday March 18--Animal Kingdom and California Grill !!

We woke up early today to make it to Animal Kingdom for opening at 9--drove over and make it for 9:30--close:confused3

A lot of people don't like Animal Kingdom, but we really do love it.
Our reservations at CG were for 7:55, so plan was to leave by 4:30 so we could get back to BWV to shower and change before dinner.

We did all the stuff we wanted.First to EE to get fastpasses for later, Rode Kalahari River Rapids-walk on the first time, did the Safari, then the walk through with the birds, etc. Ate at Flame Tree-my favourite counter service.
We then did A Bugs Life--hadn't done it for awhile, it is cute.

057.jpg

DD and I went back to use your fastpasses at EE--after last time, DH and DS vowed never to ride that again:scared1:, but DD and I love it.

095.jpg

This was the only autograph opportunity for DD at this park--more than I though we'd get.
Don't know why we all look pink.:headache:

084.jpg

Lots of animals out and about on the Safari that day--some days you see very little. Here are a few shots.

Baby Elephant--so cute.

077.jpg

075.jpg

079.jpg

We were running out of time by now, so we stopped for one more ride on Kalahari River Rapids--posted standby time was 40 minutes, turned out to be about 30--longest we had ever waited for a ride at AK but what the heck.

After this, we headed back to get ready for dinner.

Up next, my favourite place--California Grill.:dance3:

This has been so fun to read1 Love all you pics but my jaw dropped with the castle/fireworks one. Certainly makes me long for the World, thanks so much for posting...

This has been so fun to read1 Love all you pics but my jaw dropped with the castle/fireworks one. Certainly makes me long for the World, thanks so much for posting...

Thanks so much for reading...nice to know people are interested.:)

I am a sucker for MK fireworks--nowhere have I ever seen better.
I am sappy I admit, I well up with tears, especially if it's the last time I get to see them for awhile. I know people think that's crazy,...you know the people....the same people who say "you're going to Disney AGAIN:confused:

One of the reasons I wanted to go to California Grill was to book it when I knew the fireworks would be on. I know they give you a little ticket so you can come back if you dine before the fireworks start, but I just wanted to walk out to the viewing area and see them, then come back to the table. That's exactly what happened...between dinner and dessert.:yay:

I must say, it's the most spectacular place I have ever seen the fireworks from--worth the fortune we paid for dinner;)
I will post that later tonight..

In our 30+ times there we have never done CG. Is it really that good - for kids too? I love the idea of watching the fireworks from there.

I'm one who doesn't care for AK but I go because it's worth the admission to see Nemo and Festival of the Lion King. The animal part just feels like a spread out zoo to me. Like you mention, the safari is hit and miss.

Looking forward to more of your TR!

Love the trip report! We were there just before you, and made a special trip to EE. I love that ride!

On a separate note, have you considered Tables in Wonderland? We are also DVC owners and have found that this is a great deal for us.

Love the trip report! We were there just before you, and made a special trip to EE. I love that ride!

On a separate note, have you considered Tables in Wonderland? We are also DVC owners and have found that this is a great deal for us.

We did get that several years ago, when we bought an annual pass. That year we were going twice in a calander year, so AP made sense. Unfortunately, no two trips in one year coming up, so I don't think we can get Tables in Wonderland without an AP--please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

In our 30+ times there we have never done CG. Is it really that good - for kids too? I love the idea of watching the fireworks from there.

I'm one who doesn't care for AK but I go because it's worth the admission to see Nemo and Festival of the Lion King. The animal part just feels like a spread out zoo to me. Like you mention, the safari is hit and miss.

Looking forward to more of your TR!

Wow, 30+ trips, I thought I was fortunate to have gone 10 times:worship:
DH and I first did California Grill on our Honeymoon-20 years this May:eek:
I know it wasn't called that then, I think it was called Top of the World or something like that, it was a dinner theater. We were talking about that with our server that night. Honestly, I don't remember that much about it, certainly not what it is today.

On that note..............

Dinner at California Grill

Made ADR for 7:55. Arrived at about 7:40, checked in, took elevator up, and were beeped at 8pm.

Our table was off to the left, in a smaller side room, but next to the window. The server explained where we could go to view the fireworks, scheduled for 10pm that night. She was quite good, and attentive.
We explained that we were not on the DDP.
DH and I already knew we wanted the Sushi.
The items on the menu were quite "Chi-Chi" for my kids, lots of sauteed in this and garnished with that, but DS has become a bit more adventurous with his food choices, so we helped them decide what to order.
We ordered two flatbreads to start, as I wasn't sure the sushi would really fill us up.
Here's what we ordered.
Triple Cheese Flatbread
A special Flatbread for DH and I--honestly, I forget what it was, but it was good.
DH-Yoshie's Deluxe Sushi Platter
me-Shrimp Tempura Roll-not on the menu, but found here on boards, and yes, they would make it for me:hug:
DS-Veal Chop - With potato Rosti, chanterelles, salsify, pearl onions, carrot puree and madeira Jus --They let him subsitute roasted potatoes,and no veggies(what can I say:sad2:)
DD-kid portion of the Filet of Beef that was on the kids menu with roasted potatoes and green beans(server said they could do this for her eventhough she was 12 because we were paying out of pocket) That was great as it was $13 and just the right size for her.
DH and I both has two glasses of wine.

While we were eating, the Eletrical Water Parade went past the window--quite cool-sorry photo didn't turn out.
We ordered dessert, and it was 9:55. Server said she would bring out the dessert as soon as Wishes was finished, so we headed off to the balcony.
It was not crowded at all and we had a fantastic view.
From here, you realize the firworks are set off quite a ways from the castle.

110.jpg

112.jpg

I am an admitted Wishes fanatic, so I had a tear in my eye as the last round of firworks ended:sad1:, but I knew I would see them again in another year or two.

Here's BLT from the viewing area.

097.jpg

A few minutes after we returned, the desserts arrived.

DS-Valrhona Chocolate Cake - Warm Chocolate cake with molten center, cappuccino caramel crunch ice cream, whipped cream, coffee caramel sauce
I got a very small taste of the ice cream and OMG it was to die for:cloud9:

122.jpg

DD and I shared the Chocolate Creme Brule--Both of us found this too chocolately--I know, what were we thinking, but if you love chocolate, you would love this.

123.jpg

So, the verdict--I loved it. Would I go back-yes, in a heart beat.
Would I recommend it for kids? I personally wouldn't go with young kids, unless they are willing to sit for 2 hours+ for a meal. I thought my kids at almost 13 and 15 were ready for some fine dining, and they were.
Would I like to go again, without my kids for a romantic dinner with DH, say on my 25th wedding Anniversary--for sure;)---Yes, I am a PLANNER.:rolleyes1

Dinner at California Grill

Made ADR for 7:55. Arrived at about 7:40, checked in, took elevator up, and were beeped at 8pm.

Our table was off to the left, in a smaller side room, but next to the window. The server explained where we could go to view the fireworks, scheduled for 10pm that night. She was quite good, and attentive.
We explained that we were not on the DDP.
DH and I already knew we wanted the Sushi.
The items on the menu were quite "Chi-Chi" for my kids, lots of sauteed in this and garnished with that, but DS has become a bit more adventurous with his food choices, so we helped them decide what to order.
We ordered two flatbreads to start, as I wasn't sure the sushi would really fill us up.
Here's what we ordered.
Triple Cheese Flatbread
A special Flatbread for DH and I--honestly, I forget what it was, but it was good.
DH-Yoshie's Deluxe Sushi Platter
me-Shrimp Tempura Roll-not on the menu, but found here on boards, and yes, they would make it for me:hug:
DS-Veal Chop - With potato Rosti, chanterelles, salsify, pearl onions, carrot puree and madeira Jus --They let him subsitute roasted potatoes,and no veggies(what can I say:sad2:)
DD-kid portion of the Filet of Beef that was on the kids menu with roasted potatoes and green beans(server said they could do this for her eventhough she was 12 because we were paying out of pocket) That was great as it was $13 and just the right size for her.
DH and I both has two glasses of wine.

While we were eating, the Eletrical Water Parade went past the window--quite cool-sorry photo didn't turn out.
We ordered dessert, and it was 9:55. Server said she would bring out the dessert as soon as Wishes was finished, so we headed off to the balcony.
It was not crowded at all and we had a fantastic view.
From here, you realize the firworks are set off quite a ways from the castle.

110.jpg

112.jpg

I am an admitted Wishes fanatic, so I had a tear in my eye as the last round of firworks ended:sad1:, but I knew I would see them again in another year or two.

Here's BLT from the viewing area.

097.jpg

A few minutes after we returned, the desserts arrived.

DS-Valrhona Chocolate Cake - Warm Chocolate cake with molten center, cappuccino caramel crunch ice cream, whipped cream, coffee caramel sauce
I got a very small taste of the ice cream and OMG it was to die for:cloud9:

122.jpg

DD and I shared the Chocolate Creme Brule--Both of us found this too chocolately--I know, what were we thinking, but if you love chocolate, you would love this.

123.jpg

So, the verdict--I loved it. Would I go back-yes, in a heart beat.
Would I recommend it for kids? I personally wouldn't go with young kids, unless they are willing to sit for 2 hours+ for a meal. I thought my kids at almost 13 and 15 were ready for some fine dining, and they were.
Would I like to go again, without my kids for a romantic dinner with DH, say on my 25th wedding Anniversary--for sure;)---Yes, I am a PLANNER.:rolleyes1

We are recently post-WDW quick trip pre-Disney cruise...and from the GTA, FYI. Without a trip in the works, I was just checking out a few threads and saw your TR. It douns like you had a great time!

We LOVE Cali Grill. In fact, this was our first WDw trip without it...only because we were just at the Beach Club 2 nights and knew we'd eat well on the cruise. Our boys (twins, now 12) had their first meal there at age 8 and have loved it every year. I took the boys, and a friend, to WDW on my own last year (DH couldn't get away) and it was the one meal where every morsel of food was eaten...2/3 boys loved the sushi and one was thrilled with his own choice. They also love the cure dessert sushi on the kids menu and will continue to order it as long as they'll serve it to them! To me, a WDW trip is just not a WDW trip without Wishes on the observation deck.

So I guess I'm saying I'll need to go back...while fireworks on a cruise ship are cool...it's just not Wishes!

Hi there, just found your TR and love it! Looks like you had a wonderful time. I'm your 905-neighbour too :)

I can't believe it was a month ago we were there! I grew up on March Breaks at WDW - back when you didn't line up to see characters. They used to walk freely up and down the streets greeting guests. And exactly 18 years ago tomorrow I honeymooned there too. So for me, Disney is really more nostalgia and it just feels like home. Wish we had bought DVC years ago we'd have possibly saved so much money. But we did rent houses a lot back then to have Disney Breaks.

Now I am dying to get on the cruise. I get seasick but it's on my bucket list!

Still following your TR. Keep it coming.

I can't believe it was a month ago we were there! And exactly 18 years ago tomorrow I honeymooned there too. So for me, Disney is really more nostalgia and it just feels like home. Wish we had bought DVC years ago we'd have possibly saved so much money.Now I am dying to get on the cruise. I get seasick but it's on my bucket list!

Still following your TR. Keep it coming.

Thanks everyone for reading.
My mom was a teacher, and dad had a lot of vacation time, so we use to drive down in the summer:confused3
I tell my kids........"no A/C, no i-pods(you listened to the one AM radio station your parents wanted to hear), no DVD players or laptops:eek:
They just look at me like I've lost my mind:confused:
Anyway, we'll see how they do on the drive to HHI in August:scared1:
Will try to post more tomorrow.

A couple of photos to keep you going.

Sandcastle at EPCOT to promote the new Disney Nature movie.

124.jpg

126.jpg

125.jpg

Up next: EPCOT, with DH this time, and LeCellier for lunch:)

Saturday March 19--EPCOT

Today was suppose to be our last day at the parks. DH missed EPCOT the first time around, so we went there today.
I have to say again, that I love the location of our home resort.:thumbsup2
We bought BWV, site unseen, just by doing research, and I do love it. I love the Boardwalk theme, and especially the location--walking distance to 2/4 parks:love: Our last trip, we did a split stay at OKW(bad experience ), and BCV. I loved BCV too, nice theming, nice pool, lots of resturants on site, and close to parks--closer to EPCOT but further to DS. The points are higher at BCV, so that's the one downside.
Anyway, I digress:confused3
EPCOT-got there after opening, and went to get fastpass at Soaring.
Rode a few other things, and DD scoped out some autographs she still needed. Here's some she got.

Missed Marie last trip.

132.jpg

One of the new Fairies--sorry don't know which one:confused:

139.jpg

Got to the front of the line, when they put the rope across.....She did stop to talk to DD, but would not sign..........:sad2: On the list for next trip.

134.jpg

181.jpg

Had an ADR for Le Cellier for lunch at 1pm. Checked in at 12:45--they were taking walk-ups for smaller parties for lunch that day too.
I had made the lunch ADR as I knew they were changing Le Cellier to a 2 table service credit, and wasn't sure if we were doing DDP at the time. I figured if we were, I didn't want to use 2 TS here, and if not, lunch was cheaper.;)
I did not want a big steak for lunch, but apparently, my kids did.
Here's what we ordered.

Me-Bowl of Cheese Soup, Tomato Stack--several Pretzel breads
DH-Prime Rib Sandwhich with side of Poutine.
DS-Smoothie, NY Strip, Chocolate Mouse
DD-Smoothie, NY Strip, Maple Creme Brulee

Our Server was good, and explained to DH-former Montrealer, that the Chef did Poutine a bit different, melted cheese instead of cheese curds, but DH was Ok with that. However, server did not mention that his Prime Rib Sandwhich came with fries..so he got regular fries, and an order of Poutine:scared1: Good thing he remembered his cholesterol meds.
The Poutine was OK---I helped DH with it, but it didn't take long until it became a cold rubbery blob.:eek:
I had intended to order a Maple Creme Brulee for myself, but when the time came, I was stuffed, so I had just a spoonful of DDs.
All in all, a good lunch. Do I think it's worth 2TS on DDP--no, but maybe with the new jazzed up menu, perhaps.

We had signed up for the 4pm Behind the Seed tour at the Land Pavillion. , so headed back to Future World. We had wanted to do this last trip, but didn't know if the kids would get much out of it. The last time we did this was on our Honeymoon--many moons ago;)
Both kids are quite into science, and I would highly recommend the tour for anyone, not just kids...we all enjoyed it.

Some shots from the tour.
Tomato "Tree"

153.jpg

Kids smelling some kind of melon
168.jpg

Releasing some ladybugs to help control aphids.

158.jpg

We grabbed a couple of snacks, and headed back to BWV to organize for check out the next day.:sad1:
Up next Downtown Disney--one last shopping trip:woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter