Following Dr. Seuss to BCV- a November 2011 TR Updates 6/11

Your one son has the EXACT expression in pretty much every picture!! :lmao:
your Youngest is just TOO adorable.. Sean looks like he is having the time of his life. i am SO happy for him!!! :thumbsup2
Having a great time reading along with you!

podsnel said:
I adore the Hawaiian culture- very warm and welcoming, one big happy family. Not to mention how gorgeous it is! We are going at the end of August- 4 nights on Kauai, and then 6 nights on Oahu at Aulani. I hope. My 7 month booking window opens Jan 21st. We went to Hawaii for our honeymoon- that trip we visited the Big Island and Maui. You think you're sad getting on the plane after Disney? Wait. The plane home from Hawaii is the WORST. You will never want to leave. Where are you staying?

Small world (no, not that one!). DW and I went on our honeymoon to Hawaii as well and we are returning for our 30th anniversary to Aulani in September. Our anniversary is actually August 28th but we can get much better airfare rates by waiting a week until after Labor Day plus the difference in DVC points needed is lower. Our honeymoon was on Kauai and it gets its nickname as the "Garden Isle" honestly. Very lush landscape and extreme geography differences from Waimea Canyon to the cliffs of Napali Coast to the beach at Poipu or Hanalei Bay. Go to the top of the mountain in August and there will be a 30-40 degree temperature drop from the 90's on the coast. Kauai is the wettest place on earth with about 460 inches of rainfall each year but it rains mostly at night. It will rain on you 2 or 3 times during the day but it is a light shower that lasts only 10 minutes or so and once it is over, wait a few minutes and you can hardly tell it rained. As a result, there are waterfalls EVERYWHERE! It is a very beautiful place and when we were there, it was not "touristy" at all. You'll really enjoy Kauai. Since you will be at Aulani a week or so before we arrive, keep in touch and give us some tips on what you find.

Really enjoying this TR. Keep it coming.

xmas01sm.JPG

Merry Christmas!!! :hug:

Oops - fell a little behind! Great updates - everyone looks so happy. I love the barber shop pixie dust - that is really cool! I love that you got one character/kid shot - how times change as they grow, eh? In October, we waited in every character line we saw!! :rotfl:

I am caught up, but without pictures today. I can't wait to see the pictures of Sean! I am so glad he is having such a marvelous time. What a wonderful day in the magic kingdom and I love that you got pixie dusted as well.

I hear ya on the AP's. I just bought one for Denny, myself, and Nick. Despite the fact that I had almost $600 in tickets to exchange for AP's, they still cost a fortune. I think they were like $50 more than the last time I bought one. :scared1: At least I will be getting three trips out of mine!!!!!

Speaking of trips - you have quite an impressive array of trips lined up for this year. Nice! 2012 is going to be a very good year. :goodvibes Can't wait to hear about Hawaii. That is quite a temptation for me, I must admit.

I hope you and the family had a wonderful Christmas! Enjoy the rest of your break!

Great pictures. Especially the ones of Sean smiling! :goodvibes And I love the pictures with all three of the boys together. That's awesome! What a gorgoue day!

Looks like a great time! I'm glad Sean was doing well! I never knew about the haircuts. We may have to try it with DS. He got a fauxhawk at a baseball game last summer, complete with spray paint in the team colors and loved it.

A tip on Buzz Lightyear - right when you go out and at the very end, spin the car all the way around (do a 360) and get the way out of the way targets right over the archways. Those give you the biggest points, as does killing the alien at the very end.

Love the teacups! Only me and DS on that one, everyone else doesn't have the cast iron stomach for circles. You either have it or you dont!

If he liked that fauxhawk, he will LOVE this!! It's not expensive, either- the prices are pretty much what i would pay for their haircuts at home. But no pixie dust at home! :goodvibes

And thanks for the Buzz Lightyear tips- I will be looking for that when I ride with Kara and kick her BUTT in May! :rotfl2::rotfl2: There must be something like that at the beginning of the ride, too, because Tim had that score REALLY early in the game.

Oh you have me Sooooo excited! :yay: It's a work trip for Jim, so we'll actually be staying at Hickam AFB, but Jim will have time to play, so we plan to visit Aulani and of course Pearl Harbor, and whatever else I can plan. We can book alot of excursions on base, so I'm probably going to play it by ear according to what he has time for, but I want to rent a convertible and just tool around when we can.

Have you looked at the reviews for Aulani's spa? You can book it without necessarily staying at Aulani, and it sounds like one of the things they really got right at the property (they did NOT get the food right, from what I've read. :sad2: I am really excited to eat at some other places I've been learning about, however! :goodvibes)

If I don't get back here in the craziness, have a :santa::santa: HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS:santa::santa: I will contact you next week for your order - it's going in on the 30th :goodvibes Love ya!

Thanks- you too- Happy New Year!

Your one son has the EXACT expression in pretty much every picture!! :lmao:
your Youngest is just TOO adorable.. Sean looks like he is having the time of his life. i am SO happy for him!!! :thumbsup2
Having a great time reading along with you!

Tyler must have had a hormonal imbalance on the trip- he was sooooo fourteen the whole time! :rotfl:
Thanks so much for the kind words- very glad to have you reading along!:goodvibes

Small world (no, not that one!). DW and I went on our honeymoon to Hawaii as well and we are returning for our 30th anniversary to Aulani in September. Our anniversary is actually August 28th but we can get much better airfare rates by waiting a week until after Labor Day plus the difference in DVC points needed is lower. Our honeymoon was on Kauai and it gets its nickname as the "Garden Isle" honestly. Very lush landscape and extreme geography differences from Waimea Canyon to the cliffs of Napali Coast to the beach at Poipu or Hanalei Bay. Go to the top of the mountain in August and there will be a 30-40 degree temperature drop from the 90's on the coast. Kauai is the wettest place on earth with about 460 inches of rainfall each year but it rains mostly at night. It will rain on you 2 or 3 times during the day but it is a light shower that lasts only 10 minutes or so and once it is over, wait a few minutes and you can hardly tell it rained. As a result, there are waterfalls EVERYWHERE! It is a very beautiful place and when we were there, it was not "touristy" at all. You'll really enjoy Kauai. Since you will be at Aulani a week or so before we arrive, keep in touch and give us some tips on what you find.

Really enjoying this TR. Keep it coming.

I have to admit, I think I may be looking forward to the Kauai portion a little more than Oahu- because I really can't wait to see that other-worldly beauty that I know will be on that island! Thanks for all the tips- since Christmas (which was VERY busy and also VERY rough this year) I have been totally absorbed in the planning- kind of my own Christmas gift to MYSELF for working so hard over the holidays-anyway....The waterfalls? The woman I rented our condo from in Hanalei said that she has counted 36 waterfalls at a time (that she can see from her balcony- it overlooks Hanalei Bay. GORGEOUS!!!!!

And don't worry- I will give you lots of feedback on Aulani- but, can I ask a favor? Since I get back on the 28th (Happy Anniversary) I might not get up to Aulani in my TR before you go- do you mind reminding me? Send me a PM or just ask in the TR which I'm sure I'll start before you go- thanks! That way I'll be able to PM you anything I learn- :thumbsup2

xmas01sm.JPG

Merry Christmas!!! :hug:

Thank-you Karin!!! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you both, too!!!:hug:

Oops - fell a little behind! Great updates - everyone looks so happy. I love the barber shop pixie dust - that is really cool! I love that you got one character/kid shot - how times change as they grow, eh? In October, we waited in every character line we saw!! :rotfl:

I HATE that they grow so fast!!!! It is true- one day you're standing on all the lines to meet all the characters, the next you are...not. On the plus side, though, it sure does leave a lot more time for riding the rides! :thumbsup2:rotfl:

I am caught up, but without pictures today. I can't wait to see the pictures of Sean! I am so glad he is having such a marvelous time. What a wonderful day in the magic kingdom and I love that you got pixie dusted as well.

I hear ya on the AP's. I just bought one for Denny, myself, and Nick. Despite the fact that I had almost $600 in tickets to exchange for AP's, they still cost a fortune. I think they were like $50 more than the last time I bought one. :scared1: At least I will be getting three trips out of mine!!!!!

And of course THIS is the year when there is no way we will go for Spring Break- too expensive to fly at Easter. Plus I will have no points left after 6 nights at AUlani, 5 nights at AKV in a GV, and 4 nights at BWV in a 1 bdrm BW view. Ok- so not so sad, but STILL freakin expensive!!! They REALLY hiked the price this year- a little too much, I think.:headache:

Speaking of trips - you have quite an impressive array of trips lined up for this year. Nice! 2012 is going to be a very good year. :goodvibes Can't wait to hear about Hawaii. That is quite a temptation for me, I must admit.

I'll let you know how it is- it is getting some very mixed reviews, and I am hopeful they will get their act together at Aulani before next summer. I just read in a recent TR that there were a lot of executives checking Aulani out the week before Christmas- hopefully some heads are gonna roll and get things right!

I hope you and the family had a wonderful Christmas! Enjoy the rest of your break!

Merry Christmas to you and your family too, MEK! HAppy New Year!

Great pictures. Especially the ones of Sean smiling! :goodvibes And I love the pictures with all three of the boys together. That's awesome! What a gorgoue day!

Yea- it's always great to see Sean's smile, isn't it? :lovestruc Thanks honey-

Ellen - I don't why it took me so long to realize you had another TR going! But I just found it and I'm as far as page 5. I just read the sentence about the "little bird" who told you about the sangria for your walk to Epcot - that was me!! I'm so glad you remembered. It definitely makes the walk more enjoyable anywhere you are going - doesn't it ;)

Well - back to catching up! Can't wait to read more about your trip. Sounds like a good beginning and I was glad to see you were able to get Sean to go :)

Added - Just caught up and saw the tip about sangria at Hurricane Hannah's - I will definitely give that a try too!

Thanks for the tip about the Aulani spa! I'm going to have to check that out! I was looking at pics of HI last night - best beaches, etc. Getting so excited!:woohoo: Loved the FB pic of Sean with his legos! Did he get them all put together?

Happy 2012 everyone! Here's to hoping for a FABULOUS year for us all!

We were back at BCV, and going for a swim- what was really interesting about that was this request came from Sean- who, in nearly all other circumstances, does not really like to swim. But in Disney? Seems he can't get enough! :goodvibes We all were happy to be hanging in SB, though, not just sean-

IMG_3193.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

IMG_3196.jpg

IMG_3197.jpg

We took turns watching Sean and going down the slide- which, unfortunately, was shut down pretty quickly- the lazy river was also closed until 5pm (I'm guessing due to some bio problem, but what do I know. Other than MY kids wore SWIM DIAPERS until they were potty trained- and I really don't understand the parents who are ok with their wee little poopers swimming sans mars bar pool protection, but maybe that's just ME). Sorry- but I seriously think these people should be tossed out for LIFE!

Anyway.....there were games going on at the pool-

IMG_3198.jpg

The CMs seemed to have fun playing them!

IMG_3199.jpg

IMG_3202.jpg

IMG_3203.jpg

After about an hour or so, we retreated back to the villa. Through the solarium

IMG_3205.jpg

And past the mermaid-

IMG_3206.jpg

Tonight we had an early ADR at Yachtsman Steakhouse, followed by some fun in Epcot.....next!

Ellen - I don't why it took me so long to realize you had another TR going! But I just found it and I'm as far as page 5. I just read the sentence about the "little bird" who told you about the sangria for your walk to Epcot - that was me!! I'm so glad you remembered. It definitely makes the walk more enjoyable anywhere you are going - doesn't it ;)

Well - back to catching up! Can't wait to read more about your trip. Sounds like a good beginning and I was glad to see you were able to get Sean to go :)

Added - Just caught up and saw the tip about sangria at Hurricane Hannah's - I will definitely give that a try too!

Well, hey there, little bird! :hug: That cup of Sangria walked there and back and there and back! :rotfl: I really got my money's worth! :rotfl: We will be at BCV again before our cruise this May, so I will be sure to try their's then, too!:thumbsup2

Thanks for the tip about the Aulani spa! I'm going to have to check that out! I was looking at pics of HI last night - best beaches, etc. Getting so excited!:woohoo: Loved the FB pic of Sean with his legos! Did he get them all put together?

The spa looks pricey, but it offers more than just the treatment you sign up for- the showers/pools seem to be pretty extensive in there, and you can hang as long as yu'd like, from what I've read.

Sean has assembled Buzz Lightyear, a Star Wars one, an Apollo set, another Toy Story kit, and the Krusty Krab. Only one more left- but I think I may return some of his other gifts and exchange them for more Legos for him. He is so focused when he does them, he's a different kid. It's really wonderful!:goodvibes

Good talking to you the other day! :hug:

Happy New Year, Ellen!

Seems like you had a fun time at SB while you could! :thumbsup2 We love that pool too and can really understand WHY Sean loves to swim there! :goodvibes
Can't wait for MORE!!!!!!!! popcorn::

We were looking forward to an early dinner tonight at YS. Originally, we had planned on kicking off our vacation with dinner here, but when we realized we would be getting our new TIW the next day....well, no question- YS had to MOVE!!! :rotfl: 20% off there is no chump chnge, KWIM? What was available for a party of 5 was a 5pm ADR- so, although MUCH earlier than we usually like to eat, we just skipped lunch & had a snack- so by 5pm, we were FAMISHED!!!!

IMG_5475.jpg

IMG_5476.jpg

Accolades all around-

IMG_5477.jpg

Not too long of a wait at 5pm, that's for sure!

IMG_5479.jpg

IMG_5481.jpg

IMG_5480.jpg

We started off with a cocktail- I noticed they had something made with Gran Marnier- I believe it was a Grand Smash- it was Gran Marnier, OJ, mint & something else-

IMG_5483.jpg

O.M.Geeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! Best drink EVAAAARRRRRRRR!!!!! I do love me some Gran Marnier, and rarely have I seen any cocktails where it is the main attraction- so I was a VERY happy girl! The other thing making me happy that night?

IMG_5485.jpg

Those amazing onion pull-apart rolls. I soooo love them- actually, THEY were the main reason I was so insistent on coming back here. I think I may have had 2....or possibly...3. And I am not usually one to load up on bread and butter (even WITH the sea salt on top)- but there was no stopping me at YS!

For Sean, we asked to have fries sent out asap, to keep him happy-

IMG_5486.jpg

Uh-oh. Looks like we're going to go broke tonight buying potatoes! :rotfl: Tyler ordered a lobster salad which I don't see on the menu-

IMG_5487.jpg

Tyler is a VERY good eater, but this was a little too sophisticated for my DS14. I chose the scallops (which were a different preparation than what I see listed online-

IMG_5488.jpg

Sorry about my big head- I just couldn't get it out of the photo- but those scallops were fantastic! My only complaint would be that they were small for diver scallops, but they were an appetizer portion, I suppose. Pods had Charcuterie Board - $15.00

IMG_5489.jpg

The offerings are different from what is now offered- but it was a great starter- and lots of fun to try so many things! They gave me a menu, since it was my birthday that month- would be nice if I had that NOW, huh?

IMG_5491.jpg

On to the main courses- next post-

For my main course, i decided to try Deconstructed Beef Wellington - 8 oz. filet, trio of wild mushroom Duxelles, puff pastry. parsnips, potatoes, carrots and red wine sauce - $47.00

IMG_5494.jpg

This was good, but over-salted (like someone forgot they had already seasoned it or they salted the duxelles & sauce before reducing). We convinced T&T to split a steak- telling them it was a steak for 2, not 1. Porterhouse - 24 oz. Center cut porterhouse with Smoked Paprika fries and roasted garlic butter - $44.00

IMG_5495.jpg

They both loved the steak. Pods had 12-oz "Prime" New York Strip Steak - Carmody potato gratin and peppercorn bandy sauce $42.00

IMG_5496.jpg

This was delicious. For Sean, in addition to all the fries (which the server kept coming, as we had asked) Sean had some mac & cheese-

IMG_5497.jpg

We were happy he gobbled it up, it was not elbow mac, and that could have been an issue in the world of Sean. But, thankfully, was not! With dinner, Pods had a glass of the house Merlot, and while I normally am a wine drinker, I HAD to have another-

IMG_5498.jpg

Wow...that drink was just soooooo yummy! :worship: A pic of our very attentive waiter-

IMG_5499.jpg

And...I am sorry to say, not ONE of us had room for dessert. Darn those onion rolls! :rotfl:

All in all, a very good meal- we do have better steakhouses at home (with all Prime meats, like Peter Leuger- yummmmmmmmmmmm.......), but we did enjoy ourselves and would go back, if we were staying at BCV. A quick pic of the meat man before we left-

IMG_5500.jpg

And we were off to Epcot! :banana:

drooling over the awesome looking food. kids looked happy to be there. Glad that things worked out for Sean. we have a similar thing with mac n cheese here....LOL

Happy New Year, Ellen!

Seems like you had a fun time at SB while you could! :thumbsup2 We love that pool too and can really understand WHY Sean loves to swim there! :goodvibes
Can't wait for MORE!!!!!!!! popcorn::

Yes- but it all was ok in the end, we did go back! :goodvibes

Happy 2012 Karin!

drooling over the awesome looking food. kids looked happy to be there. Glad that things worked out for Sean. we have a similar thing with mac n cheese here....LOL

Yea- just one little difference that you or i might not notice, our kids DO....and a different shape of pasta could have been a BIG problem- so glad it wasn't!:dance3:

Those steaks look sooooo good, despite it being before 11am right now! :rotfl2: Darn New Years diet!!!!

So glad Sean was doing well this day, with swimming and unlimted french fries!!!!

Happy New Year my friend!!! :goodvibes

What a wonderful review of Yachtsman! Sean's fries look delicious!! As well as the steaks. I love the decor of the restaurant, but so far never made it there because other venues just seemed more special...

The yaughtsman looks amazing, I think I may need to make an ADR for my Sept trip

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter