flying with tablet and only carry on

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
we leave for vegas in the morning and for the first time just taking but I just thought of a few things and cant seem to find my answers we were both lucky and got pre tsa--so with that do I need to take out my tablet I know the bag of liquids can stay in were also bringing a few snacks like those cheese crackers--there the ones that you don't have to spread or dip there already made do these have to be taken out--gee with these questions youd think it was my first trip--well its first time with just carry on

thanks

are the cheese crackser slike the ritz crackers with cheese in between two crackers? then no they don't have to come out. BUT make sure they are in a ziploc in case TSA asks you take them out -- you don't want their bag sitting in those bins unprotected.

have your tablet set up so you can easily take it out if needed. then ASK if your tablet needs to come out or not. There may also be signs that answer the question for you.

sorry I just realized I forgot a few words--like first time taking carry ons!! and yes the crackers are the little sandwich type even with pre tsa they would ask to have stuff taken out--I thought that was the idea of pre so you dont have to take anything out--Ill be ready for anything though

thanks for the reply

sorry I just realized I forgot a few words--like first time taking carry ons!! and yes the crackers are the little sandwich type even with pre tsa they would ask to have stuff taken out--I thought that was the idea of pre so you dont have to take anything out--Ill be ready for anything though

thanks for the reply

most things can stay in with pre-check, BUT the rules can change so you need to be prepared to have to take things out.

From the TSA website:

"As a TSA Pre✓®-eligible traveler, you are allowed to leave on your shoes, belt, and light jackets, unless instructed otherwise by a TSA officer. TSA Pre✓®-eligible travelers are also allowed to keep their laptops and 3-1-1 compliant liquids in their carry-on luggage. "

Most of the time (as in 98%) you won't be asked to take anything out of your bag. Sometimes, items in a bag will align in weird ways and make the screener question what's in the bag. In those cases, they'll take your bag aside and do a physical check. I had it happen just yesterday. Nothing wrong or not allowed, just an odd alignment of electronics and snacks that were stuffed into my bag at the last minute.

Steve

I have TSA pre-check. If you have more electronics than just the tablet you may have to take it out. I travel with a tablet and a kindle and always have to take one out. If I have my nintendo switch I have to take that out too.

Sometimes they ask everyone to take food out, sometimes not. It's usually announced in advance and you can hear the announcement while you are standing in the line once your ticket and ID are checked but before you put your bags on the belt for security.

Of course you are most likely already on your flight. Have a great time in Vegas!

I have pre check a well. I always leave my laptop and tablet in my purse/bag. Never been asked to take it out

I have TSA pre-check. If you have more electronics than just the tablet you may have to take it out. I travel with a tablet and a kindle and always have to take one out. If I have my nintendo switch I have to take that out too.
Interesting. I have TSA Precheck (via Global Entry). I travel with iPad, Kindle, my DSLR camera, and either DW’s DSLR camera or my computer all in my messenger-bag-style camera case. The only places where I have had to remove anything from the bag was in Beijing (where I had to empty the bag at three different checkpoints to get to the boarding gate) and once in Europe. Never a problem in the US, including MCO, ORD, MDW, SAN, LGA, and ATL airports at least. I feel very fortunate in not having to unpack my bag, put everything in bin(s), and try to keep track as it goes through the x-ray scan while I go through the metal detector. Actually didn’t worry too much in Beijing, since the security personnel are in Army uniform and guards stand around everywhere with weapons. Hard to picture someone attempting to walk off with someone else’s device under the circumstances.

I was recently asked to separate my tablet from other belongings. Then they rescanned my purse because they couldn’t distinguish a hot wheels car from a knife. It was a hot wheels car, but it did resemble a shark a little bit, so 🤷‍♀️

I have pre check and fly almost weekly. I have found the smaller airports are following stricter rules for pre check. Especially where there is not a separate screening lane. At these airports they give you a card to show the screener you can leave your shoes on but you still have to remove food, liquids, & tablet. I no longer keep those neatly packed together for easy removal so I just decide whether I want to take a chance for a bag rifle or whether I want to take 10 min to take them out myself. Sometimes I swing one way, sometimes the other. As PP said, its not about allowed or not, its just about time & convenience. The OP is asking about food & some airports ask them to be declared, others don't. Its not that they aren't allowed, they just want a closer look.

5 TSA pre-check trips a year and never ever questioned about our iPads, mini iPads or MS Pro.. or anything except a Magic Kingdom popcorn bucket with resort little tubes that exploded when I jammed the lid. TSA guy was laughing.

PS: I've been buying wonderful Body Butter at Basin in the Grand Flo and never had a problem yet the person who rang me up at GF said many people have trouble with the body butter and TSA. That totally puzzles me.

5 TSA pre-check trips a year and never ever questioned about our iPads, mini iPads or MS Pro.. or anything except a Magic Kingdom popcorn bucket with resort little tubes that exploded when I jammed the lid. TSA guy was laughing.

PS: I've been buying wonderful Body Butter at Basin in the Grand Flo and never had a problem yet the person who rang me up at GF said many people have trouble with the body butter and TSA. That totally puzzles me.

Resort little tubes?

Sinxe peanut butter falls under the 311 rules, I bet body butter does, too. If people aren’t following the rules, then they can run into issues.

Even with precheck we still need to follow rules, which means the liquids rules.

Comment too late for OP, but as an earlier post said I leave my tablet and liquids bag in an outer pocket since I have had situations were a TSA agent is at the head of the precheck line telling travelers to pull their tablets (I guess a special security alert). I also like to buy ground spice mixes and souvenir baseballs and have learned to put those is a small open paper bag and run those through separate since they almost always trigger a screening if I leave them in the carry on.

Most of the time (as in 98%) you won't be asked to take anything out of your bag. Sometimes, items in a bag will align in weird ways and make the screener question what's in the bag. In those cases, they'll take your bag aside and do a physical check. I had it happen just yesterday. Nothing wrong or not allowed, just an odd alignment of electronics and snacks that were stuffed into my bag at the last minute.

Steve
We flew out of MKE/BOS this last week and in both places, we were told not to take anything out in the Pre Check line. DH had coffee beans in his carry-on this morning and his bag was plucked out because they couldn't tell what they were on the image screen.

Last time i flew with TSA Pre-Chek, I was able to leave the tablet and liquids in my bag, but they made me take my camera out. On the flight back, I didn't have to remove anything.
I think it all seems to depends on who is working the monitors.

I fly r/t at least twice a month with TSA pre and have never had to take out my Ipad or laptop in fact screeners are often reminding people not to take them out as the pre line doesn't usually have bins and it slows down the line. My dd often has a laptop, kindle and a Nintendo - no issues for her either.

I will say that just because you have TSA pre doesn't mean your exempt from the 3-1-1 rules!
I hear this a lot in person :) You still are restricted to 1 one quart zip lock back with liquids in containers not to exceed 3.4 ounces, you just don't need to remove that "311" bag.

Also, imho its good to be prepared in case the pre line isn't open or available at a smaller airport (for me it's Kalamazoo). Sometimes they let you follow the "pre" rules based on your BP other times not; so always be prepared to remove shoes/laptops 311 bag just in case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter