• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flu Updates - What's going on in your area?

From today's NY Times:

- Does this year’s flu shot work?

Its H3N2 component is a bad match for the circulating strain. Australia just had a severe flu season with many deaths, and the vaccine there had the same mismatch. Experts estimated that the vaccine prevented infection only 10 percent of the time.

The shot’s efficacy here has not yet been calculated because the virus is still spreading, but experts expect it to be about 30 percent.

In Australia, vaccination failed partially because it is urged for only the most vulnerable, while in the United States millions of healthy people are vaccinated.

- Is it worth getting the flu shot anyway?

Experts say yes, because even when the shot does not prevent you from catching the flu, it may save you from dying of it. And while getting it in October is best, because it takes about two weeks to build immunity, it is still not too late, because the virus persists all winter and into spring.

So, yeah:

DT57ZSCX0AAP1Mf.jpg

Dang, my state (CO) was one that didn't have it listed as widespread on this map just a week or so ago. One of my coworkers now has the flu. He was out for a few days but came back yesterday. Fingers crossed he doesn't spread it to the rest of us!

Yes. Mine had vomiting and diarrhea the next two days after the vomiting. The sore throat and bad cough followed the vomiting.

Thank you for sharing. I'm taking her to urgent care today because her teacher tells me someone in her class has strep! I have to get her tested for that. She has the symptoms.

Thank you for sharing. I'm taking her to urgent care today because her teacher tells me someone in her class has strep! I have to get her tested for that. She has the symptoms.

Yes, strep is going around too. My son didn't have strep, his sore throat was from the postnasal drip and coughing. Hope your daughter feels better soon!

Yes, strep is going around too. My son didn't have strep, his sore throat was from the postnasal drip and coughing. Hope your daughter feels better soon!

Thank you. Wishing good health for your entire family. :)

I've been fighting a flu or similar illness all week (sweats, nausea, extreme cramps, fever), but last night experienced severe decline. Luckily I was able to sweat it out, and I believe I'll be more or less better if I take NyQuil and go to bed early today.

Here in the Philadelphia area it does not appear to be especially bad.

The only thing is, is that I wish I didn't tell my parents because they are extremely concerned, as some healthy people have been dying or been hospitalized!

It's going strong here in Ohio. I had it 2 weeks ago and had a relatively mild case. I did not have the flu shot. My brother-in-law is in the hospital with it. He had the flu shot. I did have to go back to the doctor today because of a hacking cough that came back a couple of days ago & was diagnosed with bronchitis. The waiting room was packed with people wearing masks and coughing like crazy.

I've been fighting a flu or similar illness all week (sweats, nausea, extreme cramps, fever), but last night experienced severe decline. Luckily I was able to sweat it out, and I believe I'll be more or less better if I take NyQuil and go to bed early today.

Here in the Philadelphia area it does not appear to be especially bad.

The only thing is, is that I wish I didn't tell my parents because they are extremely concerned, as some healthy people have been dying or been hospitalized!

Make sure you drink lots of fluids....force fluids. and rest. You should go to the doctor tomorrow if not better. Yes, all moms say the same thing!

Just heard on the news that it is widespread in every state except Hawaii. We have been lucky so far, but it's almost like waiting for the shoe to drop. Sooo ready for Spring!

Another sad one, this time in NH.

Mom diagosed with flu. Prescribed Tamiflu but family says she didn't take it because the doctor said the side effects could be worse than the flu.

http://www.unionleader.com/health/New-Ispwich-family-hit-hard-by-moms-flu-death-01292018

:guilty:

“It really happened very fast,” King said Friday. “It was very abrupt and very shocking.”

“I had been talking to her, and her two younger kids and her had tested positive for the flu and we were texting about it,” King said. “My oldest was sick at the same time so we were comparing how they all were.”

Franks went to the doctor on Sunday, Jan. 14, when she didn’t get better and was running a fever, King said.

The mother of four tested positive for the flu and was given a prescription.

“She said they prescribed her Tamiflu, but the doctor said the side effects were a lot of times worse than the flu, so she decided not to take it,” King said.

So Franks returned home and told her sister she would continue drinking lots of liquids and resting.

“Her words exactly were, she was just going to keep fighting it on her own,” she said.

But the next day Franks passed out in her bathroom and was taken to the emergency room at Monadnock Community Hospital in Peterborough. Doctors thought she passed out because her fever got so high, King said.

She was given anti-nausea medication and fluids and was sent home to rest. Tuesday night she started vomiting and returned to the emergency room early on the morning on Wednesday, Jan. 17.

“At that point they figured out her body was in severe septic shock,” King said.

The hospital tried to arrange for a medical helicopter to transfer her to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, but the poor weather prevented a flight, King said. She had to wait for an ambulance, which took some time because of the weather.

“On the way driving up to Lebanon her heart had stopped and they weren’t able to revive her, so they had to go to New London Hospital because she had already passed,” King said.

Mom diagosed with flu. Prescribed Tamiflu but family says she didn't take it because the doctor said the side effects could be worse than the flu.

http://www.unionleader.com/health/New-Ispwich-family-hit-hard-by-moms-flu-death-01292018

“It really happened very fast,” King said Friday. “It was very abrupt and very shocking.”

“I had been talking to her, and her two younger kids and her had tested positive for the flu and we were texting about it,” King said. “My oldest was sick at the same time so we were comparing how they all were.”

Franks went to the doctor on Sunday, Jan. 14, when she didn’t get better and was running a fever, King said.

“She said they prescribed her Tamiflu, but the doctor said the side effects were a lot of times worse than the flu, so she decided not to take it,” King said.

So Franks returned home and told her sister she would continue drinking lots of liquids and resting.

“Her words exactly were, she was just going to keep fighting it on her own,” she said.

But the next day Franks passed out in her bathroom and was taken to the emergency room at Monadnock Community Hospital in Peterborough. Doctors thought she passed out because her fever got so high, King said.

She was given anti-nausea medication and fluids and was sent home to rest. Tuesday night she started vomiting and returned to the emergency room early on the morning on Wednesday, Jan. 17.

“At that point they figured out her body was in severe septic shock,” King said.

The hospital tried to arrange for a medical helicopter to transfer her to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, but the poor weather prevented a flight, King said. She had to wait for an ambulance, which took some time because of the weather.

“On the way driving up to Lebanon her heart had stopped and they weren’t able to revive her, so they had to go to New London Hospital because she had already passed,” King said.

Incredibly sad

Very sad. I smell a big law suit in the works.

It appears that the Community Hospital dropped the ball by sending her home on Monday. Yes, she probably should have taken the Tamiflu (note, some DISers have done the same thing) but it's not clear to me how much that would have helped. I wonder if she told the Monadnock Community Hospital ER that she didn't take it. I'm rather surprised that Monadnock could not treat septic shock and they sent her to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center 80 miles away.

My Cubs season ticket partner's wife was in the hospital for over 3 weeks with compilations of the flu. It's scary stuff. My doctor in Orlando didn't believe in Tamiflu so wouldn't write me a script for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter