Flu Updates - What's going on in your area?

It is also a tough time of year for college students. Flu is ripping through DD's university right now. Kids are dropping left and right with confirmed cases. The pharmacies in the college town have reportedly run out of Tamiflu. DD got the flu shot in the Fall, and she is scrubbing her hands. She just finished sorority rush - packed into houses with 3200 other girls. We started hearing about the spread of flu half way through rush, and it has only gotten worse. I am praying she stays healthy!

It is also a tough time of year for college students. Flu is ripping through DD's university right now. Kids are dropping left and right with confirmed cases. The pharmacies in the college town have reportedly run out of Tamiflu. DD got the flu shot in the Fall, and she is scrubbing her hands. She just finished sorority rush - packed into houses with 3200 other girls. We started hearing about the spread of flu half way through rush, and it has only gotten worse. I am praying she stays healthy!

I know it sounds crazy, and admittedly I'm a nut, but you would think that with all the publicity this flu has gotten and its epidemic status, that places like schools/colleges/places of work, would slow down or put a halt to events like this which would accelerate the spread. I mean, I know we don't want to put our lives on hold, but until this thing runs its course (and it will mutate and slow down), I think some common sense could be applied with regard to pushing crowded events.

Ugh. I would do teaching with your 9 year old and just say I know you're not feeling well and I promise I'll be here for you, but it's really important while you're sick that we try to not let the baby get sick since he's so young. Ask her to try to stay in her room as much as possible (make sure she's super comfortable in there and give her tissues, wipes, hand sanitizer, cough drops, visit her carefully yourself, have her wipe down any electronic devices with Lysol wipes daily, etc.) and clean the bathroom after she uses it, change the towel she uses frequently, don't touch her dirty clothes, let her shower daily if she's up to it and put on fresh clothes, etc. That might be your best bet, to continue to keep them apart. As much as I'm sure your DD loves the baby, I'd probably ask that she doesn't touch her right now, but you can let them see eachother from a distance as long as your DD isn't sneezing, coughing, blowing nose, etc. (See video of sneeze posted a couple of pages back.) It sounds extreme, but if you want to keep your baby from catching it, it may be necessary. But with all that said, I believe the baby should still have some of your immunity, correct? This is such a tough time of year for families with young children.
Thank you, I'm trying to take as many precautions as I can.
I went to check on her this morning and take her temperature (103.4 :sad2:), and she told me she got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and got sick when she couldn't stop coughing. I asked her why she didn't come get me and she told me she was just too tired and just wanted to lie back down. Her room and bathroom are on the opposite end of the house and I heard nothing. I hate it when the kids are sick.

Thank you for your advice. I'm going to be as vigilant as I can.

This flu epidemic is scaring me. My 9 yr old woke up with a sore throat and stomach ache. She is sleeping now, which she only does if she is feeling really sick. Now I'm worried!

No fever so far. However, she is not known to sleep with just a cold - usually it has to be fever.

Edit: her temp is 99 and she has a headache and sore throat. Anyone think this is the beginning of the flu?

Last edited:
This flu epidemic is scaring me. My 9 yr old woke up with a sore throat and stomach ache. She is sleeping now, which she only does if she is feeling really sick. Now I'm worried!

No fever so far. However, she is not known to sleep with just a cold - usually it has to be fever.

Edit: her temp is 99 and she has a headache and sore throat. Anyone think this is the beginning of the flu?

Awh, I am sorry for your daughter. Unfortunately, it is impossible to say. It certainly could be, but there are a lot of different things going around right now with pretty similar symptoms. My husband had a sore throat, headache, cough, low grade fever and congestion illness that definitely wasn't the flu, that he is still getting over. Make sure that she gets lots of fluids, and check with your pediatrician to see what they think and recommend.

I know it sounds crazy, and admittedly I'm a nut, but you would think that with all the publicity this flu has gotten and its epidemic status, that places like schools/colleges/places of work, would slow down or put a halt to events like this which would accelerate the spread. I mean, I know we don't want to put our lives on hold, but until this thing runs its course (and it will mutate and slow down), I think some common sense could be applied with regard to pushing crowded events.

Yes, my DD's school closed down for two days last year at the peak of flu season, to sanitize the school, and to give kids a chance to rest. It seemed to help. I saw someone on Facebook mentioning that influenza hit their house yesterday, and they were hoping the kids were well enough to go on an overnight retreat tomorrow. I thought to myself that it was doubtful their child would be better that quickly, and even more so, that's exactly the kind of thing that ends up spreading the virus exponentially. I would hope things like overnight retreats could be postponed at this time of year if influenza is widespread in an area

Just got the confirmation. My DD9 has strep & the flu.

If you don't mind keeping your fingers crossed or whatever that I can keep the flu from the baby, I would really appreciate it. Hoping he has enough of my antibodies and immunity as I exclusively breastfeed to keep him safe.

If you don't mind keeping your fingers crossed or whatever that I can keep the flu from the baby, I would really appreciate it. Hoping he has enough of my antibodies and immunity as I exclusively breastfeed to keep him safe.

Oh goodness, I can't imagine. If it helps, though, my son got the flu last week and my other son and husband still haven't caught anything. My husband was out of town until last Saturday, so he missed the worst of it, but my son's share a room with bunk beds. I moved my older son (healthy one) into the guest room and Lysol'ed and Clorox Wiped the CRAP out of their shared bathroom and all common surfaces in the house. I kept my sick son confined to his room for 6 days, with the window open during the day (it's been warm here). I stripped the beds and washed all the bedding on sanitize. Didn't replace older son's bedding until yesterday when I let him move back in. Washed sick boy's sheets every 2 days. Washed the bath towels every other day. Separated the toothbrushes (their bathroom has two sinks) and gave older son his own tube of toothpaste.

Knock wood, it's been 7 days, sick kid went back to school today (he's on antibiotics and feeling better finally). Older son is still okay. Neither kid got flu shots this season, but will get them next week. I got VERY minorly sick. I did have the shot back in September.

You can keep the baby for getting sick but it will take a LOT of cleaning, hand washing and keeping the kids as far apart as possible. I hope you got the flu shot. It will keep you from getting very sick if you do catch it. Since you are nursing, be particularly diligent about washing your hands before each feeding. I would probably take the baby's temperature a couple times a day so you can be right on top of it should he develop a fever.

Oh goodness, I can't imagine. If it helps, though, my son got the flu last week and my other son and husband still haven't caught anything. My husband was out of town until last Saturday, so he missed the worst of it, but my son's share a room with bunk beds. I moved my older son (healthy one) into the guest room and Lysol'ed and Clorox Wiped the CRAP out of their shared bathroom and all common surfaces in the house. I kept my sick son confined to his room for 6 days, with the window open during the day (it's been warm here). I stripped the beds and washed all the bedding on sanitize. Didn't replace older son's bedding until yesterday when I let him move back in. Washed sick boy's sheets every 2 days. Washed the bath towels every other day. Separated the toothbrushes (their bathroom has two sinks) and gave older son his own tube of toothpaste.

Knock wood, it's been 7 days, sick kid went back to school today (he's on antibiotics and feeling better finally). Older son is still okay. Neither kid got flu shots this season, but will get them next week. I got VERY minorly sick. I did have the shot back in September.

You can keep the baby for getting sick but it will take a LOT of cleaning, hand washing and keeping the kids as far apart as possible. I hope you got the flu shot. It will keep you from getting very sick if you do catch it. Since you are nursing, be particularly diligent about washing your hands before each feeding. I would probably take the baby's temperature a couple times a day so you can be right on top of it should he develop a fever.

I did something similar when my DH got the flu. I isolated him in an upstairs bedroom and designated the bathroom as his. I scrubbed all the hard surfaces and sanitized all the bathrooms. I washed our sheets and all the bedding. I bought masks for him to wear when he left the bedroom and I washed my hands like crazy. I think it paid off because no one else in the house is sick. Dd said she was feeling crummy today and wanted to throw up, so she may have avoided the flu and caught something else.

I hate cold & flu season.

That is what made me take DD to urgent care, sharp wheezing sounds & severe pain when trying to inhale, I'd never seen her that bad! Thankfully the inhaler has lessened that somewhat, but it is scary!

I had a viral bug very similar to this over Christmas, took me 2 weeks to recover fully. It started with this and ended with a very nasty chesty cough.

Both of my kids are in middle school as of this year, but their former music and chorus teacher at their elementary school passed away from complications from the flu earlier this week. We're all shocked and just so saddened - she was only 68. The elementary schools are closed tomorrow in our town, both for services and to do some cleaning in the schools. It's hard to imagine...

Been down and out with the flu for going on the second week. Fever lasted about 4 days, now just a relentless, exhausting cough. So much for the flu shot!

When our younger DS was a baby, both DH & I caught strep - from a jewelry store, of all places.

Anyway, at the time, I was exclusively breastfeeding DS, &, while I was scared to death he would catch it, he never did.

And, in fact (knock on wood), he's never had strep, & he's 8 years old. I don't know if I passed antibodies to him through my breastmilk while I had strep or something like that or not. (I know you can get strep multiple times. But it's funny that, while I was breastfeeding I had strep, & he's never had strep.)

Is there vomiting with the flu? Anyone know? Thx.

More so in children, but yes, it can be.

According to the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/complications.htm

Influenza Symptoms
Influenza (also known as the flu) is a contagious respiratory illness caused by flu viruses. It can cause mild to severe illness, and at times can lead to death. The flu is different from a cold. The flu usually comes on suddenly. People who have the flu often feel some or all of these symptoms:

• Fever* or feeling feverish/chills
  • Cough
  • Sore throat
  • Runny or stuffy nose
  • Muscle or body aches
  • Headaches
  • Fatigue (tiredness)
  • Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults.
* It’s important to note that not everyone with flu will have a fever.

More so in children, but yes, it can be.

According to the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/complications.htm

Influenza Symptoms
Influenza (also known as the flu) is a contagious respiratory illness caused by flu viruses. It can cause mild to severe illness, and at times can lead to death. The flu is different from a cold. The flu usually comes on suddenly. People who have the flu often feel some or all of these symptoms:

• Fever* or feeling feverish/chills
  • Cough
  • Sore throat
  • Runny or stuffy nose
  • Muscle or body aches
  • Headaches
  • Fatigue (tiredness)
  • Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults.
* It’s important to note that not everyone with flu will have a fever.

Thank you. This morning started off with a fever, 99 - 101, and a sore throat. Sore throat went away, then a stomach ache and now throwing up. Still low grade fever I believe, treated with some motrin. She still has the stomach ache.

I wonder what day 2 will bring. :(

Thank you. This morning started off with a fever, 99 - 101, and a sore throat. Sore throat went away, then a stomach ache and now throwing up. Still low grade fever I believe, treated with some motrin. She still has the stomach ache.

I wonder what day 2 will bring. :(

I am so sorry for your daughter, and all the others who are sick and suffering on this thread. Hopefully it is something else that she will get over very quickly!

I am so sorry for your daughter, and all the others who are sick and suffering on this thread. Hopefully it is something else that she will get over very quickly!

Thank you and God bless you for the well wishes. :) It's so hard to see someone you love suffer, or even someone you don't know at all! Praying for everyone who is suffering tonight.

Aww. Stick to your plan and hopefully the baby will be ok. Just said some prayers.

Both of my kids are in middle school as of this year, but their former music and chorus teacher at their elementary school passed away from complications from the flu earlier this week. We're all shocked and just so saddened - she was only 68. The elementary schools are closed tomorrow in our town, both for services and to do some cleaning in the schools. It's hard to imagine...
That is sad. Ugh.

Been down and out with the flu for going on the second week. Fever lasted about 4 days, now just a relentless, exhausting cough. So much for the flu shot!
If you weren't hospitalized it's possible the flu shot helped you with that, that's why they're recommending people still get the shot this season. It's been shown to help with that and the severity of the illness.

I got something in Orlando on 12/31. Went to urgent care twice, had the flu swab which came back negative and was finally diagnosed with a double ear infection and bronchitis on 1/5.

I came home on 1/9 but my cough was still bad. I spiked a fever yesterday and I went to see my doctor’s PA today. She thought I had the flu but had a false negative. I now have pneumonia in my right lung.

She says there are a lot of flu in Wisconsin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter