Flowers, 5Ks, and Fiancées-A May 2011 TR *Updated 4/30 The Last Update*

Hey! Sorry I missed the start to your TR but I just saw it in your signature! I'm so excited to hear about your trip, especially your take on the EE Challenge. Your chapter titles are really cute! Am I part of the "she'll think I'm a stalker" one? :laughing: I do wish we could have met and got a picture! Anyway, I noticed you said you'd rather run a half marathon than walk up three flights of stairs... well, start training! I looking for a partner for the Princess half princess:! Oh, also, I like your writing style.

YAY for the good moods and first time at a Disney resort!! :goodvibes I have never been to any of the All Star resorts...looks cool!! I do agree the people all over the wallpaper would throw me off getting out of the shower :lmao:

Yay for your first time at a Disney Resort! All Star Sports is the only one I've stayed in until my upcoming trip. I'm glad the CM's were so helpful.

I also have to agree with everyone that the wallpaper is kind of creepy :rotfl:

Yay on spending Memorial weekend with your family - sounds like you had a great time!

I love the red carpet welcome! What a way to be greeted by the friendly CM! :thumbsup2

I wouldn't want to climb 3 flights of stairs either or have 100 pairs of eyes on me when stepping out of the shower! :scared1:

It was a lot of fun, but I'm also glad things have settled back down and everyone's gone. :rotfl:
That CM went above and beyond for us. I really wish I'd remembered to look at his nametag so that I could send a nice note to WDW.

I agree about the color of the Baseball building. I've always thought of baseball grass as being extra green, sort of like a golf course.

Too bad about the doubles, but I think a lot of the rooms at the Values with king beds are also handicap accessible, which could be why it was harder to get one.

That's how I always pictured the grass, as well, but I guess the designers thought this was a better shade to use.:confused3
I read on here that the king rooms were handicapped, and I explained that to DF, but he can be stubborn at times and not listen.

Hey! Sorry I missed the start to your TR but I just saw it in your signature! I'm so excited to hear about your trip, especially your take on the EE Challenge. Your chapter titles are really cute! Am I part of the "she'll think I'm a stalker" one? :laughing: I do wish we could have met and got a picture! Anyway, I noticed you said you'd rather run a half marathon than walk up three flights of stairs... well, start training! I looking for a partner for the Princess half princess:! Oh, also, I like your writing style.

Haha, you ARE the person from the stalker chapter! :rotfl: That was one of the crazy things I said to my DF after he'd introduced himself to you, and I figured it'd be a fitting title for that time frame.
I am nowhere near half marathon material. :rotfl: Although DF has learned about half marathon relays, and he's trying to get me to consider them! I think he's more addicted to Disney races than I am! :laughing:

YAY for the good moods and first time at a Disney resort!! :goodvibes I have never been to any of the All Star resorts...looks cool!! I do agree the people all over the wallpaper would throw me off getting out of the shower :lmao:

I thought the All Star resort was great for the amount of time we stayed and what was on are agendas. There were a few things I missed at the resort (a mini fridge and SPACE) but if I had another 3-4 day trip planned, I'd really consider going back there.

Yay for your first time at a Disney Resort! All Star Sports is the only one I've stayed in until my upcoming trip. I'm glad the CM's were so helpful.

I also have to agree with everyone that the wallpaper is kind of creepy :rotfl:

I never understood why someone thought it would be cool to put pictures of people on the walls. :confused3 I thought All Star Sports was nice, but I can't really compare it to anything until I stay at another value.

The Evening of May 6th:

With our bags unpacked and the table covered with cameras, chargers, and water bottles, the next task I had to complete was decorating our room window!
f1 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

A few weeks ago, I was hanging out with my mother, and I told her how people staying at value resorts like to decorate their rooms. Well, she fell in love with idea and convinced me to do it for this trip.

I never thought I'd turn into one of those people. The concept never appealed to me. But my mom really enjoyed helping me, and it made her feel like she was a part of this trip.

My mother and I are very close, and I tried to convince her and my younger brother to tag along and let my brother compete in the EE Challenge. He was still going to school, though, and financially they just couldn't.
She hasn't been to the world in 6 years, and she misses the place a lot, so if coming up with window decorations allowed her to share in some Disney magic, I was willing to do it.

We created the signs that were to be hung. One was announcing that DF and I were competing in the EE Challenge, and the other one was celebrating our recent engagement.

DF and I went to Home Depot and swiped some paint swatches, and two nights before the trip, my mom and I made a Mickey head garland.

Well, I made the garland, my mother admired the name of the paint colors and continued to steal the swatches for bookmarkers. :rotfl:

My mother dug up some of her old Disney toys that used to belong to my siblings and I, and that she was saving for future grandchildren.
She had a ton of them!

Enough to fill at least two windowsills.

While I swiped all the Lion King ones, I promised her that one day, I'd take her to Disney and she could make a Toy Story themed window, since that's her favorite movie.

Armed with all my decorations (and some window clings DF took from work) I set up the window.
Dsc04164.jpg

The garland wasn't long enough, and I kept setting them up unevenly, which was beginning to really irritate me.
While I was fighting with the papers and strings, DF stood outside and snapped some pictures.
Dsc04165.jpg

Even though I wasn't crazy about the idea of my window being decorated the end result was sort of cute.
Dsc04170.jpg

DF got a kick out of watching people's reactions to it over the following three days.

Once that ordeal was over with, DF insisted we take a look at our race information.

Dsc04175.jpg
He tried on his shirt, and I re-read all the instructions. There really wasn't much more we could do, so DF and I packed it all back away and decided to go explore the resort for a bit.

We stepped out of our room and found our view of the place from the door was very....smashing

f2 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

DF and I got a good laugh out of our interrupted view. There aren't too many resorts that you can stay at and say that your view was covered by a super-sized Louiseville Slugger.

We took a couple steps to the right and managed to get a clearer view of our surroundings.
f3 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

Lucky for us, we were next to one of the pools and right above the laundry room.

Taking the elevator down to the ground floor, we walked past the pool and took a left when we came to the football section.
Dsc04178.jpg
I loved the open space.

And so did a lot of parents.
There were always some haggard looking father standing on the field watching their toddler run around in circles. One look at their face and you could read their thoughts: "Please, please, run your energy out. Run around, tire out, and then dear God fall asleep!"

We walked down the football field and checked out the Surfs Up building.
Dsc04181.jpg

Being a Florida native, I loved the beach theme, but I would never pay preferred rates to stay near the main pool. That area was always busy.
I enjoy my peace too much to deal with guests swimming late at night and swarms returning and leaving the bus area.

When we were walking around the main pool was closed.

Dsc04185.jpg

DF and I were starting to get hungry by this point, so we decided it was time to try out our DP and grab some dinner at the food court.

f4 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

The whole process was a little hectic for us, because we had no idea what to do. We knew we were allowed an entree, drink, and dessert, but finding out how to obtain those three things was confusing.

It took us a long time to realize that we order our entrees at one of the counters, go across the room to a glass case and pick a dessert, and then go to the back of the room and select a bottled drink from a refridgerator.

While we were waiting in line to order our entrees, a guest behind us read DF's shirt, which was something he received at a work event, and he saw that DF was stationed at the same base as him.
He was at Disney for the EE 5K, as well, so the three of us talked for a bit. He warned us that the sample clue we hadn't seen was very hard. He said nobody could figure it out.

Great.

Saying goodbye to the man, DF and I ordered our food and paid at one of the registers.

We both had chosen the chicken alfredo with breadsticks. I got a brownie, though, while DF chose a crumb cake.

Dsc04188.jpg

Dsc04192.jpg

I wasn't expecting a lot from the food. It was a value food court, after all. But I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't spectacular, but it was pretty good.
DF really liked the chicken. And for a picky eater like him, it was a small shock to hear that he enjoyed the meal.

The brownie was really rich. I ate about 3/4ths of it before I gave up.
DF's crumb cake was delicious! I regretted not making the same choice and had to watch enviously as DF gobbled it up. (Not without giving me a bite, first, though.:lmao:)

After dinner, DF debated with me about the pros and cons of buying a refillable mug. Since we were on the regular DP, we didn't get one, and DF thought it'd be a smart idea to invest in one.

His reasoning???

He wanted me to have coffee in the morning.

The memories of my battle with coffee from December was fresh on his mind, and he was willing to do anything to prevent me from going without caffeine again.

I tried to tell him that for the cost of the mug, we would not get our money's worth out of it, but he insisted. Giving up, I let him buy one as we were leaving.

Our stomach's full, we headed back to our room.

Dsc04193.jpg

When we were nearing our building, I asked DF if we could change into our swimsuits and swim for a little.
DF is not much of a pool person, whereas I am the exact opposite. During the summer, I am in either my pool or at the beach at least three/four times a week.

Reluctantly, he agreed, so we went back to the room to change.

We had wanted to stay at the pool nearest our room, but when we arrived, there was a mob of high schoolers from Grad Night occupying all the chairs.
DF and I agreed that we were looking for something a little quieter, so we went to the main pool.

Finding two empty pool chairs, we dropped our bag on the seat and hopped in the water.

By then it was 8 o'clock, the sun had left the sky, and the water was cold!

There was a projector screen set up by the shallow end of the pool, and when it neared 9:00pm, the resort began showing Tangled.
DF and I tried to watch some of the movie while we were floating around, but the volume for the film was not very loud and we were getting really cold.

As much as we loved Pascal and Max, DF and I decided it was time to get out and call it an early night. We had a 9:20 reservation for Kona Cafe in the morning, and we wanted to be well-rested for our breakfast.

Up Next...I Like a Little Coffee with My Creamer

Last edited:
I love your window decorations and how cool that your mum got to input into it as well! I am debating whether to decorate ours - am not sure if we will or not.

Lol at the obstructed view! :laughing:

The EE shrt looks great.

Am glad you managed to sort out the food scenario - it's always the way that DF gets the better thing and you really want it! :rotfl: It happens with us as well though sometimes I get lucky and end up with the better choice!

Look forward to reading about Kona breakfast!

I really LOVE the window decorations, they really came out great!!! I am now inspired to do this for my trip in October...maybe a Halloween theme :goodvibes DBF is going to laugh when I tell him about it I am sure!

Thats really cool that they were showing a movie at the pool there! I love the Beach/Pool but I have to be swimming or moving around, I can't just lay out and tan without getting a little bored

I love your window decorations and how cool that your mum got to input into it as well! I am debating whether to decorate ours - am not sure if we will or not.

Lol at the obstructed view! :laughing:

The EE shrt looks great.

Am glad you managed to sort out the food scenario - it's always the way that DF gets the better thing and you really want it! :rotfl: It happens with us as well though sometimes I get lucky and end up with the better choice!

Look forward to reading about Kona breakfast!

On this trip, DF always wanted us to order something different, that way we could try two things on the menu vs one, but after he kept ending up with the better choices, I stopped that! :rotfl:

I really LOVE the window decorations, they really came out great!!! I am now inspired to do this for my trip in October...maybe a Halloween theme :goodvibes DBF is going to laugh when I tell him about it I am sure!

Thats really cool that they were showing a movie at the pool there! I love the Beach/Pool but I have to be swimming or moving around, I can't just lay out and tan without getting a little bored

I've seen pictures of some Halloween window decorations and I thought they were really cool! I told DF that I probably wouldn't decorate my window again until we go during a holiday like Halloween or Christmas. There's just so many cool ideas you could do.

The Morning of the 7th:

DF and I woke up early Saturday morning well-rested and anxious to get the day started.

While DF was looking forward to our breakfast and shopping at DTD, all I could think about was how far away the race was.
I prefer running at night, but during that morning, I was wishing the race was early in the day so I wouldn't have to deal with the butterflies in my stomach for very long.

We were up and ready to go at 8:00 (which is late for us on a Disney day).
DF was perky on the ride down the elevator. He hates coffee, so when he wakes up in the morning, he's ready to go. Kona Cafe is his favorite Disney restaurant and the prospect of finally being able to try their macadamia pancakes had him impatient to leave.

Dsc04200.jpg

First things first, though.

I had to try my luck with ASSp's coffee.

As I was pouring the stuff into my refillable mug, DF looked at my handful of individual coffee creamers I'd brought from home and said, "Geez, Alicia, you like a little coffee with your creamer??"

I gave him a snarky look, finished stirring my drink, put the lid on, and left the food court.

It was the moment of truth. Was my Disney coffee curse broken??

I took a tentative sip.

Please be good, please be good.

AHHHHH! :love::woohoo:

I fell in love on that pathway of All Star Sports.

It was love at first sip.

Dsc04204.jpg
My feet came off the floor; I was so estatic with the taste I pratically floated to the car. :cloud9:

The coffee wasn't really bitter, like every other coffee is, and it almost had a chocolate taste to it. The taste was so smooth and rich, it filled my mouth with flavor.
I've been looking on-line, trying to find out what the brand of that coffee is, but I can't find it. So if anyone knows, please let me know. I'd give up a foot to have that coffee at home.

With coffee in hand, DF and I pulled out of the ASSp parking lot and headed towards the Polynesian.

DF was very happy to learn that when you stay at a Disney resort, you can park anywhere for free. That morning, I thought that perk alone was what sold staying on Disney property to DF. As we drove across WDW property, he went on and on about how we wouldn't have to wait for a bus and we'd have more freedom to come and go as we pleased.

Before we knew it, we were entering the Magic Kingdom:
Dsc04213.jpg

I was in my own little world, excited to be near MK, when I suddenly came back to reality and realized DF had missed the turn to the TTC parking lot. I asked him where he was going, and he said he was headed towards the Polynesian parking lot.

Initially, that made sense; it was where we were eating breakfast, but earlier in the morning, I had suggested we park at the TTC and take the monorail, because we had to go to the ticket window after our meal and activate our tickets.

When I told him that, he replied with, "Oh, that's right, well, we'll just park at Magic Kingdom then."

What was he talking about?!?!

"Alex, there is no Magic Kingdom parking lot. Remember, the last time we were here we had to choose between taking the ferry or the monorail."

The memory dawned on DF right as we were nearing the Polynesian.

I got a little nostalgic at that point, looking around and seeing Shades of Green in the distance. I spent the majority of my time in December in that area, and it reminded me of how much fun I had on that trip. I couldn't think about it for too long, though, because DF was making a U-turn right in front of the Poly.

"What are you doing?!"

"Turning around, you said you didn't want to park here."

"Well, we already missed the turn for the TTC, so I figured we might as well park here."

It was too late. DF had already turned the car around and we were headed OUT of the Magic Kingdom.

"There's got to be a way to get to the TTC from here."

"Yes, and I think it was that road you just passed."

"Well, look there's an entrance right here."

"That's a truck entrance."

DF didn't listen and attempted to pull in, only to be blocked by a gate. I learned on this trip that my DF thinks the rules don't belong to him. He thinks that his car has some special privelage that allows him to park anywhere he pleases.

"I told you we weren't allowed in there, why don't you listen to me?!"

DF gave me a look and said, "Drink your coffee."

He pulled back out onto a road and drove around until we came to the TTC center. I wish I could tell you what roads we followed and what directions we were going, but I was so twisted and turned around, I hadn't the slightest clue. There it was at last!

Except....

We had entered from the wrong side, the side where buses pull in and where the parking lot is closed off.
We drove past it, looking glum.

"Maybe I missed the entrance, let me turn around."

And DF did just that.
On what he thought was an empty road.

He stopped right in the middle of the road and began to make a 3 point turn.

:scared1:

Right as we were sideways on both lanes of the road, a bus began turning onto our street.

And out from behind came another bus.

"ALEX!!!!"

"I GOT THIS...DRINK YOUR COFFEE!!!"

We made the turn and were headed back towards the direction we came from.
I demanded DF return to the main road and we start from the beginning.
He grumbled a bit, but he knew my decision made the most sense, so he headed in that direction.

DF drove past the Richard Petty Driving School and was pulling into a gas station, when he saw a road that let him back to our original route (the roads right past the gate to MK).

He hopped back onto the correct road and got in the appropriate lane.

We were headed the right way again.

After 15 minutes of driving the wrong way. :laughing:

We got to the parking lot and I fell out of the car; I had never been more thankful to make it to a destination. It wasn't that I was mad at DF for getting us so lost or upset that he made some illegal turns, I was just frazzled from all the confusion and wanted our day to get back on track.

As we were walking to the tram, I said to DF:

"A bus wouldn't have gotten lost, you know....or tried to kill us."

It was a low blow, but after that driving fiasco, it was well-deserved.

DF got his revenge, though, when we were at the TTC center.

We were headed towards the monorails, and I couldn't have been more excited.
Dsc04216.jpg

I fell in love with the monorails on our last trip, because I found the views and the smooth gliding very relaxing and enjoyable.
It was only 9:05 in the morning, and both routes were not that busy.

However, if you will take a closer look at the monrail picture, you'll see where my mistake was made.

I was walking along, happy as a clam, heading up the ramp to the monorail, when DF tugged on my shirt sleeve.

"Uh, honey, you want to get on the right monorail?"

Huh?

I looked above me to the sign.

Oh....oops.

I was about to board the MK express monorail.

That wouldn't get us to the Poly.

With a smug grin on his face, DF led me to the resort monorail and we got on.
Dsc04217.jpg

A minute later and we were there!

We survived!

Edited dolphins.jpg

It was only 9:10, ten minutes before our reservation time, so DF and I made a pit stop at the bathrooms and took our time getting to Kona.

I took some pictures along our walk.

Edited flower.jpg

The Polynesian is my favorite Deluxe resort, and every time I visit it I try to think of some day in the future when I'll be able to stay there.

HAH!

It never hurts to dream, right?

Kona had a pretty decent line, so I comissioned DF to stand in it while I took some more photos.
While I was clicking away, DF gave our name to a CM and returned to me with a buzzer.

For kicks and giggles we walked over to the menu hanging on one of the walls and checked it out.

Dsc04225.jpg

Not that we needed to look.

I knew our food choices by heart.

However, I was still torn. For weeks, I debated between Tonga Toast and the Big Kahuna. I'd heard better things about the Tonga, but the Big Kahuna sounded just a little more appealing to me.
Every time I thought I knew what I was going to get, I changed my mind.
Looking at the menu, I was pretty sure I was set on the Big Kahuna, when out of nowhere a couple walked up to us and told us, "Get the Tonga Toast, it's the best thing we've ever had. We've been coming here for years and there's nothing like it."

Uh oh. Another vote for Tonga Toast.

My mind couldn't just ignore this statement from some friendly guests.

When a Disney veteran tells you something is good, you can take that to the bank.

The people were going into detail on what the food was made up of when our buzzer rang. We thanked them for their advice and headed towards the restaurant.

The moment of truth had arrived, and I still didn't know what I was going to choose!

Up next...There's Two Rules to a Happy Marriage

Last edited:
Joining in, great TR so far! :cool1:

Your animals are so cute! :lovestruc

I have never wanted to stay at All Star Sports, it was the one Disney resort I never had any interest in, but I've been seeing it in a few TR's lately, and it looks nice! The Surf's Up section is adorable, and I know my DH would love the baseball section! :)

Can't wait to read more!

I have never had the coffee at WDW, but I know it is usually tough to find, so I am glad you found some you liked :thumbsup2

I am excited to hear about your Kona experience, I have never been there, but honestly I have heard soooo much about that Tonga Toast on here :rotfl:

Joining in, great TR so far! :cool1:

Your animals are so cute! :lovestruc

I have never wanted to stay at All Star Sports, it was the one Disney resort I never had any interest in, but I've been seeing it in a few TR's lately, and it looks nice! The Surf's Up section is adorable, and I know my DH would love the baseball section! :)

Can't wait to read more!

:welcome: Thanks for joining in!
ASSp never really appealed to me, either, but it was one of the host resorts for the Expedition Everest 5K and DF wanted to stay there. I wasn't going to argue too much with a person who just agreed to let me go on another WDW trip. :rotfl:
Overall, though, it wasn't bad. I don't have anything to compare it too, though (except SoG) so I feel that I can't give a good opinion of it until I stay at another resort.

I have never had the coffee at WDW, but I know it is usually tough to find, so I am glad you found some you liked :thumbsup2

I am excited to hear about your Kona experience, I have never been there, but honestly I have heard soooo much about that Tonga Toast on here :rotfl:

DF and I both love, love, love Kona Cafe. The teriyaki steak they have is to die for!
It's a good thing and a bad thing DF and I discovered Kona back in December. We have already established that one restaurant we just have to go eat at again, but unfortunately that means we won't have as many oppurtunities to try new places.
I asked DF if we could try 'Ohana's instead of Kona when I was making my ADRs and he just looked at me with this sad, puppy dog face and said, "So does that mean we're not going to Kona?" :confused3:)

Yay on finding coffee you enjoyed at Disney World! :banana: I hope I fall in love with the coffee at Pop.

Lol at the story of getting to Kona Cafe! :rotfl: That is why I have ruled out getting a car for our first trip - I know we would be lost half the time!

Ooh am looking forward to finding out if you got the Tonga Toast and the two rules to a happy marriage!

Watching Tangled from the pool sounds really fun. Too bad the sound was too low.

I don't know what kind of coffee they have at All Star Sports, but it sounds like the perfect excuse for a refillable mug.

I hope you make some good choices at Kona Cafe!

Yay on finding coffee you enjoyed at Disney World! :banana: I hope I fall in love with the coffee at Pop.

Lol at the story of getting to Kona Cafe! :rotfl: That is why I have ruled out getting a car for our first trip - I know we would be lost half the time!

Ooh am looking forward to finding out if you got the Tonga Toast and the two rules to a happy marriage!

I didn't think it'd be that hard to drive around, because Disney has an abundance of large directional signs, but I was proven wrong.:rotfl:
I hope Pop has some good cofffee, too!

Watching Tangled from the pool sounds really fun. Too bad the sound was too low.

I don't know what kind of coffee they have at All Star Sports, but it sounds like the perfect excuse for a refillable mug.

I hope you make some good choices at Kona Cafe!

I thought having the movie was a cool idea. Amusingly enough, when DF and I looked around, all the kids were entertaining themselves in the pool, and it was the parents that were sitting on the chairs enjoying the movie. :laughing:

Loved your TR from December. Cant wait to read this one. Looking froward to updates.

Thanks for reading both of my TRs! :thumbsup2

Love your TR! Very entertaining.

I visited a Chik-fil-a like that near Nashville. They had a police woman directing traffic. Never seen anything like it. When we asked her why, she said it was the last Chik-fil-a heading west on the interstate and that it was constantly packed on the weekends. Craziness.

I like the EE shirts. Black is not my color at all, but it is a cool design.

I've never stayed at ASSp, but it does look cute.

:rotfl: to driving on property and getting lost. Happens all the time. Even with a GPS.

So, I personally love the Tonga Toast, but the Big Kahuna looks pretty good, too. Curious what you ended up with.

I thought all the coffee was Nescafe. I bring my own usually, except when I've stayed at Pop. Glad you liked it. I love the refillable mugs. I have tons of them I've collected over the years.

Read your completed TR and am now following along with this one. Your excitement really comes through in your reports and makes them a lot of fun to read. :)

Love your TR! Very entertaining.

I visited a Chik-fil-a like that near Nashville. They had a police woman directing traffic. Never seen anything like it. When we asked her why, she said it was the last Chik-fil-a heading west on the interstate and that it was constantly packed on the weekends. Craziness.

I like the EE shirts. Black is not my color at all, but it is a cool design.

I've never stayed at ASSp, but it does look cute.

:rotfl: to driving on property and getting lost. Happens all the time. Even with a GPS.

So, I personally love the Tonga Toast, but the Big Kahuna looks pretty good, too. Curious what you ended up with.

I thought all the coffee was Nescafe. I bring my own usually, except when I've stayed at Pop. Glad you liked it. I love the refillable mugs. I have tons of them I've collected over the years.

That is crazy! We just had a new Chick-Fil-A open up near where I live, and people camped out for 48 hours just to be first in line. :scared1: All I could think about it Please don't turn into one of that insane Chick-Fil-A in Gainseville.:rotfl:
For us, the GPS made getting from place to place worse, because it kept trying to take us into back entrances. :confused3

Read your completed TR and am now following along with this one. Your excitement really comes through in your reports and makes them a lot of fun to read. :)

Thanks for reading! I love hearing that! I'm the type of person that is easily amused, so being at a place like Disney makes me very bubbly and excited, so it is really nice to hear that my writing reflects my attitude. :)

Sorry it's been so long since I have posted an update. My mother's birthday was yesterday and this past week has been dedicated to "wedding planning." I was not allowed to even look at the DISboards until we got some of my "to-do" stuff crossed off the list. :confused3 Plus, DF has a rare 3 day weekend starting tomorrow. (He's one of the few military people who doesn't get federal holidays off.:rotfl:) So I'm trying to squeeze in an update before he starts bugging me all weekend. :laughing:

The Morning of May 7th:

DF and I followed a CM to our seat. It was one of those tables where there's one seat and one booth and being the loving girlfriend that I am...I took the booth seat before DF could. :rotfl:

We sat down and our waitress came over to take our drink orders.

DF got the apple juice.
Not only is he not a coffee drinker, DF's not an orange, pineapple, or passionfruit drinker.

I, on the other hand, love fruit juices, so I chose to try the Lilikoi juice, which was orange, passion fruit, and guava.
Dsc04226.jpg

When the waitress brought it out, I took a sip and was very pleased with my choice. It was delicious! Not too sweet, like a lot of juices can be, and the orange wasn't overpowering which was what I was afraid would happen.

It immediately became a "must-have" for future trips.

Right as we were getting our drinks, another elderly couple was seated next to us, and our waitress (who was also their's) discovered it was their 25th anniversary.
She laughed and said that it was very fitting the newly engaged couple was seated next to the married couple.

The two of them asked where we were from, when we got engaged, how DF proposed, etc etc. They told us they were from Louisville, KY and had escaped to WDW to get away from the Derby that was occurring that weekend. They then noticed DF's EE shirt and we began talking about the 5K that we were doing later that night.

The family on the other side of DF and I overheard our conversation and the mother asked to see my ring. We oohed and aahed and congratulated DF on his good pick.

The 25th anniversary husband then offered to take a picture for DF and me. He showed us his camera and briefly explained that he was a professional and took photos for a living.

Sweet!

Dsc04229.jpg

When the man sat back down, he handed us his business card and told us anytime we wanted to run a race up in KY, he'd take pictures for us.

The man then leaned into DF and said, very seriously, "You know, son, there's only two rules to a happy marriage."

DF smiled and replied, "Well, please, tell me, I could use all the help I can get."

The man pointed a finger at DF. "Rule # 1: The woman is always right."

I like that rule.

"And Rule # 2 is...refer to Rule # 1."

After the four of us had let out all our chuckles, DF answered with, "I think I'll do all right, since I follow those rules, already."

By the time the joke was told, our food was being delivered.

I had a hard time telling the waitress my choice, because I was still on the fence, but by that point, there was no turning back.

So, what did I pick????

Dsc04230.jpg

Tonga Toast!

While DF ordered:

Dsc04231.jpg
The Big Kahuna!

At the last minute, the two of us had decided to order different meals and eat a few bites of each other's.

Once the food was in front of us, conversation tapered down.
We were too busy relishing all the wonderful food to talk. I gobbled down my Tonga Toast and DF demolished his Pineapple Macadamia Nut pancakes.

So...what were my final thoughts???

The Tonga Toast was good, no doubt about that. The bananas inside the sourdough were mouthwatering.

However...

After a couple bites of DF's meal, I have to admit...I prefered the Big Kahuna platter.

I know, I know, there must be something severely wrong with me. :sick:
I am definitely the only person who isn't head over heels in love with the Tonga Toast.
And it's not that I disliked the food, I'd just rather have the pancakes.

The revelation kind of surprised me, because normally I am 100% in agreement with reviewers on the DISboards. And almost all the posts I read about Kona Cafe said that the Tonga Toast couldn't be beat.

Oh well...I suppose I will now be one of those rare people rooting for the Big Kahuna. :confused3

At the end of our meal (when DF was getting the check) our waitress came out with two complimentary cupcakes in celebration of our engagement.

Dsc04233.jpg

DF and I were pleasently surprised. I'd heard of restaurants doing things like that, but I thought that was only for honeymoons and anniversaries.

DF really loved the Lilo and Stitch artwork.
It got a laugh out of me.

With cupcakes in our bellies, we rolled out of our seats. Saying goodbye to the anniversary couple, we made promises to meet up with them again on
our 25th anniversary and their 50th.

We walked out of the Polynesian and back to the monorail full of elation. That was our first WDW breakfast, and it was more fun than we could have wished for.

DF and I agreed that that will probably be on our Top 5 meals at WDW for the rest of our lives. The waitress had such fun joking with the four of us and sharing stories of her daughter in Key West, and DF and I enjoyed getting to know the couple next to us.
It amazed us how friendly people were and how the moods of everyone around us lifted us up and made us happier than we could have thought we could be.

Of course, the only downside to that meal was that DF fell even more in love with Kona. Now it is going to be virtually impossible to go to WDW without reserving at least one meal there. :sad2:

DF and I shared our highlights of the meal with each other (his was the Rule joke, mine the picture being taken for us) as we boarded the monorail.

It was my favorite time to ride the monorail. Nearing the middle of the day, when barely anyone was on because they were all at the parks, and when DF and I were fresh and perky. (Not exhausted from a long day of riding attractions.)

I was able to do an activity I loved...view the sights as we rode by.

Dsc04235.jpg
The Grand Floridian...when I was choosing wedding venues a few weeks ago, I was having trouble letting go of this one location. DF asked me why I was so hooked on it, and I replied with: "Because...it reminds me of the Grand Floridian!"

(Amusingly enough, once he heard that, he was willing to check it out and consider the place.:rotfl:)

Next up, we passed the Magic Kingdom.

Dsc04238.jpg

It bummed me a little to see other guests depart the monorail and head to castle while I had to stay seated.
This trip and the last trip, DF and I spent our first full day away from the parks.
We did it this trip, because we didn't want to waste a full day's ticket on a "not-full" park day. (MK was closing at 7 for Grad Night and the race was occuring at 8:30 that evening) Plus, I didn't want to tire myself out for the 5K.

"Hey, Alex,"

"Hmmm?" He mumbled from behind the camera.

"Next time we come to Disney, promise me we'll be able to go into one of the parks the moment we arrive."

DF shook his head and rolled his eyes, but he didn't say no, which I took as a good sign.

We rode past the Contemporary and then reached the TTC. Getting off, DF and I wound our way to the ticket windows and activated our tickets.

Dsc04242.jpg

We got a more thorough CM this time then we did in December, because she asked for a lot more information and even had us sign our tickets, which we didn't have to do in December. I found it amusing that we had two different experiences for the same kind of tickets.

With our tickets activated and ready to use whenever we wanted, DF and I made our way back to the car.

Hopping inside, we double-checked the time.

Dsc04247.jpg

Only 11 o'clock?!?!

Most people are begging the clock to slow down at WDW, but I wanted nothing more than for time to jump ahead.

I hated waiting for the 5K to arrive. It was the only thing I could think about.
And with each passing hour I became more and more nervous.

Due to the fact that DF and I had half a day left before we needed to start getting ready, we agreed to stick to the plans and head to DTD for some shopping. We were both looking for some shirts and some new pins to trade.

Up Next...If You See Me on the Side of the Road, Just Throw Some Water on Me and Wave.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter