• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Florida Holidays 2002 - Day Two or MGM Studios

Pete the DISney nut

Official NUTcase
AKA here we come and the Christening of our Camcorder.

First full day dawned lovely and sunny. Woke at 6am and first thing we did was turn telly on to watch some Toon Disney - flicking over onto the weather channel to see what was in store for us todday, weatherwise. Lovely jubbly - 84F for the main part of the day and no rain in sight.

Got dressed and made our way towards the buses for our first first of the Holiday - we had arranged a Character Breakfast in Hollywood and Vine. Arrived at MGM and made ourselves known to the CM on duty on the gates. Went through the security checks - painless - and walked up the deserted road to the restaurant.

We thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast - the food was plentiful and wonderful and the characters were in a really playful mood. Actually the first character we saw from oputside the restaurant was Pluto lying down in the window and waving at us as we walked up. Once seated, we were served with a huge coffee pot and plates and we were greeted by Pluto, Chip and Dale, who took an immediate shine to Tracy.

The plates laden soon with the buffet breakfast, we sat and began to eat. It was not long before the characters came around and began their interaction with us. Well, I have never laughed so much for a while watching Chip, Dale and Pluto acting the fool around us. At one time, Pluto was posing for a photo with Tracy while Dale - I think - was behind him doing something with his tail. I could not see at the time what he was doing. It was ot until Pluto went to move when I realised what he was up to. Pluto's tail was tied to the chair!

Well, that was it - Tracy and I looked at each other and burst out laughing. Of course, they heard us and they rellay began to play on this, didn't they. Chip and Dale began to dance around us and pull Pluto's ears and tail and generally torment the poor dog until he must have been dizzytrying to keep an eye on the two of them.

The breakfast continued and we were mid-eating when some music began playing and all the characters began to dance.

Minnie and Goofy were doing getting it on behind Micks back, Pluto was dancing with a little girl whose face was beaming - as were ours, naturally - and this is where the camcorder got it's first proper christening. We had taken a little footage of the hat and the entrance but this was the first time it was given a proper running and it is amazing what it could do for us.

We have always been after one but the cost was a little too prohibitive we had found but Tracy had mentioned to her mum early on last year and then we had forgotten all about it. It wasn't until Tracy's mum had told us we were going to get one for Christmas that we decided there and then to take it with us.

Am I glad we did.

Anyway, the dance ended and we finished off our meal and Tracy began to sort her hair out into a ponytail. Well, Dale was walking behind her and I could see what was about to happen but Tracy - bless her - was oblivious.

That is, she was oblivious until she felt a hand in her hair trying to snatch the hair band from her hand and from what I could tell, runa way with it. Yup, you guessed. Dale was behind her. He tried a couple of times to snatch the band but when that failed, he then decided to pull parts of her hair out the ponytail she was trying to put the hairband around. So, as you can imagine, once he had finished, Tracy's hair was all over the place and he finally walked away, giving me the thumbs up.

Our first ride after breakfast had fully settled was the RnRC - Tracy's first time but my third. Tracy is not a coaster enthusiast but she had made up her own mind to give it a try and we got the fast passes immediately after Breakfast and had a look around in the Sorceror's hat - where Tracy answered all her questions correctly - and lazed around soaking up the glorious sunshine and listenig to all the screams coming from the Tower of Terror.
Then the time came around for us to enter the RnRC.

We walked in, watched the film which introduces the ride and then walked in to the "alley" where the track is and she saw the launch for the first time.

She does not like me asking if she is okay because she says she will probably chicken out but I had to ask her because it seems very intense but she said she was fine.

Very soon after seeing it, we were in the limo and were given one of the back seats of the car.

Harness down and rucksack securely between my legs, we were in the car and around the corner and watching the display, me waiting for the message to say that launch was imminent.

Sure enough, we heard the revving and saw the lights change and whhooooooosssssshhhhhhhhh! We were off and swung upside down, this way and thatway. Well, I love this ride and I was laughing like a loon when Walk This Way started. There was me laughing and roaring the words to the song when all I heard from behind me was Tracy singing along with me. The ride screeched to a halt and I turned to her. Hewr eyes were shining and she had a grin from ear to ear.

She loves this ride - and this is from someone who does not like Roller Coasters at all, so take heart out there if you are like Tracy. If you like speed and are not afraid of the dark, you ought to give this a bash; you may surprise yourself.

We left the ride and into the obligatory shop and we had a look at the ride photo - well, Tracy's face was a picture so we bought that anyway - well, you do don't you; as a memento - and they asked if we wanted to have it delivered to the room. Why not, we thought so we gave our room details and left and went from there to have a wander round, rode the Great Movie Ride - lovely stuff - The Backlot Tour and Catastrophe Canyon with me on the Left Hsnd side of the coach - with the water gushing barely centimetres away from my face (another favourite), Muppet Vision (another favourite of ours - especially the pre-show, so funny) and tehn we went to do the Tower of Terror - hmmm, I know they change the ride pattern to keep you guessing but it was a little disappointing. Tracy and I were waiting for the long drop from top to bottom but it did not materialise. Never mind, we did it anyway and we still love that ride - a lovely view from the top.

It was around this time the crowds were beginning to gather for the Disney Stars and Motor Cars Parade so we staked our seat for the parade opposite the Celebrity 5 & 10 - in the shade, due to the heat - the sun was blasting down by this time so we sat on the kerb and got ourselves ready with our cameras at the ready.

The parade has an entertaining pre-show and then the cars come into view. I will not spoil the parade for those who have yet to see it but the whole thing is a joy to watch from beginning to end and the cars themselves are miniature works of art.

The music is really catchy as well and the whole parade is captivating.

Once the parade had finished - which was dutifully filmed by my good self with the hat in the background (a bonus) - we went around the park again and made our way to Mama Melroses' fopr our meal which was part of the Fantasmic Dinner Package.

This was another first for us and it set the trend for the whole fortnight. We went in the reception area and it seemed a little small, pleasant but small. Wrong.

We were greeted and shown to our table around the corner. Well, the restaurant was just like the Tardis - it opened up to reveal a huge dining area.

It was so nice in there - all the way down to the open fire where the food was prepared right at the back of the resataurant. The service was faultless, the food was divine and the atmosphere was typical Italian. In fact the only thing that was missing was the singing waiters (a la Alfredos in Epcot).

I can definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who is looking for an excellent value meal in MGM.

Very tasty.

We finished eating in more than enough time to walk down to the Fantasmic PS entrance (by Oscars') and take the slow walk up to the massive amphitheatre where Fantasmic takes place.

Again, the poor video camera took a hammering (to be expected,I know) but the show is a personal favourite of ours - and tothose who have seen last years and this years, a question: was the show different this year? Or is it just me? Let me know what you think)

The music, the effects and the whole thing is pure Magic -pure Disney Magic - and we left the show very happy bunnies indeed. The weather held up all day, the crowds were not that bad, and the meal we had was, as has already been said excellent.

We got back to the hotel around 10 that night, got our Hot Chocolate from the machine and watched a few toons on Toon Disney before the sleep fairy visited us and we went off to the land of nod.

One more thing, before this opus draws to a close. The hotel room has excellent air conditioning. It has to be. When we woke up this morning and I had a look to see what the weather was like - this was at six twenty-ish and it was warm then, I turned the AC down to 66. When we got into the room it was like a lovely refreshing oasis of coolness - a blessed relief from the heat of the night.

Coming up next: DTD and DQ - or what am I doing in this contraption???

We loved the Character meal at Hollywood and Vine too. I can't wait to video Fantasmic this year :D I bet you watch it over and over.

Kaylee

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter