Flight prices ridiculous for april

The current USA offers from VA ends on the 19th December so hopefully the next offer will include lower fares to MCO.

We are waiting for a reasonably priced April flight so will hang out for a little while.

The current price with VA for our dates is £666 and £598 with miles plus money.

Leaving from a local airport with Aer Lingus via Dublin works out at £604 and includes free seat selection and 23kgs of luggage, also less overall travel time from home to MCO, so at the moment this would be a better choice as no 3-hour car journey to Gatwick plus petrol and parking cost and I believe will clear US immigration & customs in Dublin so quicker when arriving at MCO.

But £600 is over our planned budget for flights so fingers crossed for those lower fares, direct or indirect.

Mine are the same price as you have quoted going on Sat 7th September from gatwick. I have to admit I was in two minds to book, but given some of the other posters prices (OK different dates) I decided not to wait and booked.

Your dates are very similar to ours, we are going 25th Oct to 8th Nov. We ended up booking a flydrive with TCD and paid just over £680 per adult. It's VA flights so a huge saving on what they are charging for flight only.

Am I correct in that you've booked a fly-drive with a VA flight for £680 and the current price with booking a flight only from VA is around £100 more at £786.

If so, I find it amazing that Virgin can promote on their website....

"Fly with us? Buy with us.
We always have the lowest price for Virgin Atlantic flights.
You won't find the same Virgin Atlantic flight for less on any UK website, that's guaranteed".

But I suppose they cover themselves in their conditions for this guarantee as you're not buying the same product, in fact you're buying a superior product as it includes a car.

And would I be right (wishful thinking) or wrong in thinking that if Travel City Direct can offer at these lower prices then possibly that's an indication that VA prices might come down?

Really VA ! £4600 for two adults and 2 children to fly economy to MCO in August ! I booked with VH For £2900 a few weeks back (flydrive) , paid a bit more after upgrading the car, insurances etc. Not sure which price is the error! Flight prices for 2013 seem to be crazy!

1999-Swan, 2001- Grand Floridian, 2002-Yacht & Beach Club, 2003- Animal Kingdom Lodge,2004- Grand Floridian&Disney Cruise,2006- Off site, 2008- Dolphin, 2009-AKV Kidani, 2010-Saratoga Springs ,2011-AKV Kidani ,2012 - Port Orleans, DCL-Dream & Beach Club, 2013 - AKV Kidani

Am I correct in that you've booked a fly-drive with a VA flight for £680 and the current price with booking a flight only from VA is around £100 more at £786.

If so, I find it amazing that Virgin can promote on their website....

"Fly with us? Buy with us.
We always have the lowest price for Virgin Atlantic flights.
You won't find the same Virgin Atlantic flight for less on any UK website, that's guaranteed".

But I suppose they cover themselves in their conditions for this guarantee as you're not buying the same product, in fact you're buying a superior product as it includes a car.

And would I be right (wishful thinking) or wrong in thinking that if Travel City Direct can offer at these lower prices then possibly that's an indication that VA prices might come down?

Yes, we booked a fly-drive holiday with TCD. We actually booked a few months ago but added my DD onto the booking last week for just over £680 (plus a £25 admin fee for changing the booking). I think the flight prices are absolutely ludicrous but, unfortunately, the fact that agents can sell packages (be it flydrive or full holiday), including VA flights for less than flight only with VA is probably not an indication that prices will come down. The whole reason why the agents can do it is they only have a limited allocation of seats on each flight and, when they're gone, they're gone. People will then be left with no choice but to book direct with VA if they are dead set on flying those dates/that route/that airline.

We're going next August too but as we live in the Channel Islands we have an additional domestic leg to factor in. When the August flights were crazily low in Oct /nov time it was stupidly more expensive for us to book indirect and pick up the £430 ish in direct flights plus domestic leg than we could get direct with BA via Gatwick.

We have paid £3k for 2 adults and 2 children Channel Islands / Gatwick / Florida return with BA. Indirect it was going to be between £3200 and £4000 minimum Channel Islands / UK / USA / MCO return. Ridiculous ... Sometimes indirect is not always cheaper.

It seems like the airlines stick a finger in the air sometimes and then make a random price setting!

Good luck x

Magic Megadegs said:
We're going next August too but as we live in the Channel Islands we have an additional domestic leg to factor in. When the August flights were crazily low in Oct /nov time it was stupidly more expensive for us to book indirect and pick up the £430 ish in direct flights plus domestic leg than we could get direct with BA via Gatwick.

We have paid £3k for 2 adults and 2 children Channel Islands / Gatwick / Florida return with BA. Indirect it was going to be between £3200 and £4000 minimum Channel Islands / UK / USA / MCO return. Ridiculous ... Sometimes indirect is not always cheaper.

It seems like the airlines stick a finger in the air sometimes and then make a random price setting!

Good luck x

Wow I have often wondered how people from the Channel Islands organise their long haul flights. It must be hard with the extra time/expense to factor. I can imagine you would want to go for the longest time to maximise the cost of the flight which remains the same! Do you do the flights from the Channel Islands - Gatwick - Orlando all in one day or do you break it up with a hotel at Gatwick overnight? Do you also have cost of parking at your local airport?

I think you are right re random pricing. Its a pin and a piece of paper or a lets see how much these suckers will pay lol...( quite alot we love our disney )

Just checked flights with VA tonight. £2589!!!!! VH flydrive was £2091???? What is going on. For april after easter hols I thought they would be cheaper. Cheaper to go in bloomin august. This was for 2 adults and a child. Wish I could get rid of these VA vouchers and go indirect!!!

There is something going on with flights for sure. We went to WDW last year, flew P.E. direct with Virgin through Disney Travel Company. Total for the 2 week holiday at SSR, Dining, Tickets was £5200. We booked for Oct '13 same accommodation, dining and tickets £2785 but flights were not released yet. Called on Saturday to add flights because they were released, economy flights £4000! P.E. £5800! For 3 flights!????

I called again this morning because they told me try Monday to see if they've changed when the UK office is open and it's more! I can buy the same flights directly with Virgin Atlantic or BA slightly cheaper but still over £3500 for economy. Checked eBookers and I can get direct economy flights flying 2 days later for £1500 for all 3 but obviously when you book through consolidators you have to pay it all up front.

There is definitely something going on in 2013. Maybe fewer people are travelling due to the economy and they need to make up the revenue? Maybe they're planning flight sales in the New Year?? Something isn't right and even the Disney people I spoke to said they think it's a joke.

MrRomance said:
There is something going on with flights for sure. We went to WDW last year, flew P.E. direct with Virgin through Disney Travel Company. Total for the 2 week holiday at SSR, Dining, Tickets was £5200. We booked for Oct '13 same accommodation, dining and tickets £2785 but flights were not released yet. Called on Saturday to add flights because they were released, economy flights £4000! P.E. £5800! For 3 flights!????

I called again this morning because they told me try Monday to see if they've changed when the UK office is open and it's more! I can buy the same flights directly with Virgin Atlantic or BA slightly cheaper but still over £3500 for economy. Checked eBookers and I can get direct economy flights flying 2 days later for £1500 for all 3 but obviously when you book through consolidators you have to pay it all up front.

There is definitely something going on in 2013. Maybe fewer people are travelling due to the economy and they need to make up the revenue? Maybe they're planning flight sales in the New Year?? Something isn't right and even the Disney people I spoke to said they think it's a joke.

I wonder if its anything to do with the Delta buying 49% of VA?

Paula Sedley-Burke said:
I wonder if its anything to do with the Delta buying 49% of VA?

Its not just Virgin though. We are looking to go mid sept which isn't usually an expensive time to go. BA are currently more expensive than Virgin for the dates I was looking at.

Indirect are cheaper but only about £50pp off what I can get M&M fares for so not worth it with a toddler and a baby.

Crazy prices at the moment. Fingers crossed a sale or something comes along soon.

Laurafoster said:
Its not just Virgin though. We are looking to go mid sept which isn't usually an expensive time to go. BA are currently more expensive than Virgin for the dates I was looking at.

Indirect are cheaper but only about £50pp off what I can get M&M fares for so not worth it with a toddler and a baby.

Crazy prices at the moment. Fingers crossed a sale or something comes along soon.

I see what you mean. I wonder what is going on! Those are crazy prices. Next May isnt too bad. I booked 5th - 15th May got a flydrive VH for 1600.00 with full car insurance. I am a dvc member so got accommodation. I got the same price for 19th September - 3rd october .

Paula Sedley-Burke said:
I see what you mean. I wonder what is going on! Those are crazy prices. Next May isnt too bad. I booked 5th - 15th May got a flydrive VH for 1600.00 with full car insurance. I am a dvc member so got accommodation. I got the same price for 19th September - 3rd october .

We are DVC members too, have our accommodation and a 4night cruise booked. We also purchased the cheap dvc premium annual passes so we WILL be going :)

Fly drives for us (13th sept - 3rd oct)coming out at £3600 - flights are £2400 at the moment so cheaper to book separately.

Checking about 6 websites daily for decent prices - I'm sure my husband thinks I'm mad LOL!

Laurafoster said:
We are DVC members too, have our accommodation and a 4night cruise booked. We also purchased the cheap dvc premium annual passes so we WILL be going :)

Fly drives for us (13th sept - 3rd oct)coming out at £3600 - flights are £2400 at the moment so cheaper to book separately.

Checking about 6 websites daily for decent prices - I'm sure my husband thinks I'm mad LOL!

Hi fellow dvc member! Pleased to meet you. Me and DW grabbed those premium passes as well. We are getting 3 trips out of it lol. We are doing a 4 night cruise as well. On the dream 22nd september. Lush! 3rd time for us we love it, we figure we are over there anyway paid the flight why not! We decided against the member cruise. I assume there are more than 2 of you with those prices? We are SSR home resort staying in Sep/Oct 2013 but in May 2013 we are trying AKV. Where is your home resort?

As im dvc home resort wilderness lodge ours is booked for 9-23 april . As most of you know when I lost dave was lucky to even get vouchers back. Paid miles plus money received £1320 back minus admin etc and now wnt let me book m

Paula Sedley-Burke said:
Hi fellow dvc member! Pleased to meet you. Me and DW grabbed those premium passes as well. We are getting 3 trips out of it lol. We are doing a 4 night cruise as well. On the dream 22nd september. Lush! 3rd time for us we love it, we figure we are over there anyway paid the flight why not! We decided against the member cruise. I assume there are more than 2 of you with those prices? We are SSR home resort staying in Sep/Oct 2013 but in May 2013 we are trying AKV. Where is your home resort?

Member cruises are so expensive! This will be our 6th cruise now. Our home resort is SSR too :)

We are a family of 4- Me and DH, DD(2) and DS(currently just over 9weeks old). I could probably get away without a seat for Charlie as he will be 11months but we would love the extra space.

crabbie1 said:
As im dvc home resort wilderness lodge ours is booked for 9-23 april . As most of you know when I lost dave was lucky to even get vouchers back. Paid miles plus money received £1320 back minus admin etc and now wnt let me book mdde33+m with the vouchers only full fare. Priced up AA for our dates and £1453 with one stop over of 90 mins. I have no option and cannot save to use them another time.

It was lucky to get the vouchers but pretty rubbish that you can't use m+m fares.

Hope the prices drop for you soon!

Paula Sedley-Burke said:

Paula...another cruise! Tres jealous! Can't wait to cruise again, kids loved the sea more than the land portion of our last holiday. It's kidani village next August for the next trip! Cruise in 2014, best wishes .

RDP said:
Paula...another cruise! Tres jealous! Can't wait to cruise again, kids loved the sea more than the land portion of our last holiday. It's kidani village next August for the next trip! Cruise in 2014, best wishes .

Hello! Lovely to speak to you again! We are trying Kidani village first time next May! Cant wait. Let me know if you have any tips! Lush re cruise in 2014. What date?

Laurafoster said:
Member cruises are so expensive! This will be our 6th cruise now. Our home resort is SSR too :)

We are a family of 4- Me and DH, DD(2) and DS(currently just over 9weeks old). I could probably get away without a seat for Charlie as he will be 11months but we would love the extra space.

Thats what we decided re member cruise. Can do two for that! Great re SSR! 11 months bless!

Paula Sedley-Burke said:
Wow I have often wondered how people from the Channel Islands organise their long haul flights. It must be hard with the extra time/expense to factor. I can imagine you would want to go for the longest time to maximise the cost of the flight which remains the same! Do you do the flights from the Channel Islands - Gatwick - Orlando all in one day or do you break it up with a hotel at Gatwick overnight? Do you also have cost of parking at your local airport?

I think you are right re random pricing. Its a pin and a piece of paper or a lets see how much these suckers will pay lol...( quite alot we love our disney )

Hi there, we don't have parking as the Islands are so small that neighbours / family drop us off. We have to add on a minimum of £500 for a family of four to factor in the domestic leg bit of our journey and as the Airport in Jersey was built in the foggiest part of the Island (ahem) we tend to overnight at Gatwick just to be sure, although as you say this adds to the cost, lol. Any delays on any of the legs can then jeopardise connections etc

When people fly direct and say its a 15 hour journey total, we would have to add on another 3-4 which makes it so much less attractive, especially if you're travelling with more than 1 little person, lol. Good luck booking flights.

Magic Megadegs said:
Hi there, we don't have parking as the Islands are so small that neighbours / family drop us off. We have to add on a minimum of £500 for a family of four to factor in the domestic leg bit of our journey and as the Airport in Jersey was built in the foggiest part of the Island (ahem) we tend to overnight at Gatwick just to be sure, although as you say this adds to the cost, lol. Any delays on any of the legs can then jeopardise connections etc

When people fly direct and say its a 15 hour journey total, we would have to add on another 3-4 which makes it so much less attractive, especially if you're travelling with more than 1 little person, lol. Good luck booking flights.

Gosh that does add to the cost! I never considered the fog flight delay issue! Still worth it all once you touch ground at Orlando! Have you ever flown via Dublin? A few people report it is cheaper but I really try to fly direct where I can. We are lucky to live near Gatwick ( live in Essex ) so its only 30 mins away. But we have to go via the dartford crossing and you can never predict the traffic in the morning so we always treat ourselves to a car park/hotel deal. Why would we risk thousands of pounds for an extra few quid on a hotel! I dont get people that rush at the last moment. For us a holiday is stress free and it starts the night before!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter