Fla "resident" discount--All opinions welcome

3DisneyKids

More Drink, Less Run...Since 2008
Ok, here's the deal...DH and I live in Maine year round (we're not snow-birds). However, we OWN rental property in FL and thus pay Florida taxes, etc.

My sister--who lives in FL and manages the property for us--says that we are crazy not to get FL State ID's (different than driver's license) and go to WDW on FL resident discounts. (WDW accepts these state IDs as proof of residency.)

I have always thought that it is a "Florida Resident" discount, not a "Florida Taxpayer" discount, but now I am having second thoughts...sure would be nice to get extra savings

I would love to hear different opinions on this...from FL residents as well as non-residents. What would YOU do?

Wen own a home in Florida and I have a Florida ID. It is the bomb. Surprised you have just heard of this. The discounts are many. Worth the time and I think it was under 10.00 bucks.

My DAD lives in Florida and I'm a college student and live with him for a month or two in the summer.... I've never even thought about getting a state ID card... (Live in NY with my mom the rest of the year). Is this possible? legal? moral?

isla bonita said:
Wen own a home in Florida and I have a Florida ID. It is the bomb. Surprised you have just heard of this. The discounts are many. Worth the time and I think it was under 10.00 bucks.

Oh, I've known about it...just didn't know it was kosher or not...that's why I'm looking for opinions.

Tinkerbelll said:
My DAD lives in Florida and I'm a college student and live with him for a month or two in the summer.... I've never even thought about getting a state ID card... (Live in NY with my mom the rest of the year). Is this possible? legal? moral?

Yes, it is totally legal and totally possible. Moral...now that is the question.

I think if you have any intentions of moving there in future , it would be totally moral. Personally even if you aren't I think its ok. If you get a Fl rate are you booking extra trips :rotfl2: ? Disney will still get there money. :grouphug:

That is such a good point...I will likely end up spening MORE because we would make an extra trip...LOL. Guess that would make up for it, huh?

This is what Disney will accept, so if you have any of these things, I would say you qualify:

Proof of Residency per adult is required - you must provide any one of the following:
* Florida driver's license
* Florida state-issued ID card (must have Florida address)
* Florida voter's registration card with corresponding picture ID
* A college ID for a Florida college
* Florida-based military ID

Well, I don't HAVE a Florida state-ID, but I can get one, I assume. I suppose I could just bring in my tax bill for the property we own and use that address.

Anyone else in this position?

3DisneyKids said:
Ok, here's the deal...DH and I live in Maine year round (we're not snow-birds). However, we OWN rental property in FL and thus pay Florida taxes, etc.

My sister--who lives in FL and manages the property for us--says that we are crazy not to get FL State ID's (different than driver's license) and go to WDW on FL resident discounts. (WDW accepts these state IDs as proof of residency.)

I have always thought that it is a "Florida Resident" discount, not a "Florida Taxpayer" discount, but now I am having second thoughts...sure would be nice to get extra savings

I would love to hear different opinions on this...from FL residents as well as non-residents. What would YOU do?

If you pay taxes....get the IDs and get the discount. Nothing at all wrong with that. We got the Seasonal Passes this year and it's great. And since we have CM friends, they bought the vouchers for us at th CM discount. So essentially we get a year at Disney (minus the hot and crowded summer/holiday periods) for $200 each!

3DisneyKids said:
Well, I don't HAVE a Florida state-ID, but I can get one, I assume. I suppose I could just bring in my tax bill for the property we own and use that address.

Yes, it's incredibly easy to get a Florida ID. You'll have no trouble whatsoever...

Tinkerbelll said:
Had you gone to college in FL, it would be legal & moral, no matter where your parents lived. I know my step Dad was living in FL (when I wasn't) & took me, my son & his daughter (she lived down here already). My son was free (under 3 at the time), they got the resident rate & I couldn't. Now that was like 18 years ago. Maybe things have changed. If you have a FL picture ID, you can get the discount, without it, you will not

You should probably just go for the Florida I.D. as they may want you to surrender the license from your current state if you try to get a new one. Also, I don't think you can use your tax info. (Probably because there are so many timeshares/rental homes in the area.) This has been a hot issue for DVC owners as many feel that should qualify them for the resident discounts due to the property tax issues, etc., but Disney does not recognize it that way.

DVC owners do not have a legal address. I as an owner of property do have a legal address for the property I own. I do not own it for a week or so I own it until I sell it. This is a lot different then DVC, Time share and the like.

3DisneyKids said:

Nope, I think you need more than a tax bill. Many people own property that are not residents & the state is aware of that... Is the tax bill mailed to you in FL or your primary residence? They will see the mailing address on the bill. I know my tax bill has my mailing address but for the property address it has it as parcel ID #, then the city & unit, then block & lots then the actual address. They are the same since I live there. My uncle also gave me land in another county for Christmas last year & the tax notice is the same...it has my actual mailing address then the property address is the section, plat book page, unit, block & lot... So showing a tax bill isn't showing you live there... look at your bill, it only shows you own there.

dvcgirl said:
If you pay taxes....get the IDs and get the discount. Nothing at all wrong with that. We got the Seasonal Passes this year and it's great. And since we have CM friends, they bought the vouchers for us at th CM discount. So essentially we get a year at Disney (minus the hot and crowded summer/holiday periods) for $200 each!
When did they start a CM discount of FL Resident Pass's? That must be farily new... never heard of that one....The regular price for a Season for anyone is like $212????

3DisneyKids said:

Forgot to ask you, why are you yelling...isn't that what all caps mean? You asked a question and DMRick answered it for you....

Good questions. I know that you can get a FLorida State ID at eny Florida DMV (same place you go to get a Driver's License)...though the ID is NOT a license. You must have a FL address to put on the ID...

So, the question is, what do you bring in to "prove" that is your address?

A Mickeyfan said:
Forgot to ask you, why are you yelling...isn't that what all caps mean? You asked a question and DMRick answered it for you....

I'm not yelling. Caps (when used in just one word) just means emphasis on that particular word. When everything you type is in all caps, then you are yelling.

Example...I love Disney SO much! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter